• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Premium includes 4 themed expansion packs with 16 maps and more

Pastry

Banned
Are they doing the gold packs and such included with premium? Didn't see a mention, if not seems pointless buying premium right away.

Yeah, battlepacks and dogtags for Premium. But I recall it being like one free one a month for a year and a half? I forget what it was with BF4.

novenD

Can we comment on the irony of the French being DLC for their own war?

Price is steep, but if the content is good I might jump this time; Didn't grab Premium the last couple of times.

Would have preferred that they took a Rainbow Six: Siege approach to the DLC. Create two currencies, lock cosmetics behind paywalls of in-game currency and purchasable currency, as well as new weapons, cosmetics, and elite classes. New vehicles and maps would be free. A season pass of $30 could get you all bonus DLC content for free and earlier. But really all I care about are the maps being free to all.
And then we are getting 4 maps per year instead of 8 and have to grind to unlock anything else. I bought the r6 pass so I wouldn't have to deal with unlocking operators for ridiculous r6 credits.

Deadbeat

Banned
Pretty pathetic they've relegated France to a DLC pack to be honest.
It's the perfect strategy. Have metro 1918 in the first dlc pack to get people to buy it. Then have premium users get it a couple weeks earlier which then locks even more purchases.

And then we are getting 4 maps per year instead of 8 and have to grind to unlock anything else.

When aren't you grinding to unlock a weapon or attachment?

I bought the r6 pass so I wouldn't have to deal with unlocking operators for ridiculous r6 credits.

R6 credits = Real money
Renown = Free in-game currency that you receive just by playing

Doesn't take long unlock operators

R6 credits = Real money

Never because I buy the shortcuts lol. But yeah, I have a huge issue with that too.

I know the difference in the credits, just posting in between appointments at work so didn't have the proper terminology, sorry about that. It still does take a long ass time to grind the renown to unlock the operators though.

Never because I buy the shortcuts lol. But yeah, I have a huge issue with that too.

Bruuuuh

I know the difference in the credits, just posting in between appointments at work so didn't have the proper terminology, sorry about that. It still does take a long ass time to grind the renown to unlock the operators though.

I guess it depends how frequently you play? I don't know, doesn't seem to take long to unlock operators, but Ive mostly spent renown on cosmetic stuff lol

Bruuuuh

I guess it depends how frequently you play? I don't know, doesn't seem to take long to unlock operators, but Ive mostly spent renown on cosmetic stuff lol

Lol, yeah I just don't have the time to play like I used to in the BC2/BF3 days, and I am not going to waste time unlocking stuff when my wallet is ready to go.

airjoca

Street Fighter II Turbo for the Snes cost me 90€ over 20 years ago.

This was a game with a fraction of the team and development costs of modern games. It also didn't have post launch support or servers for millions of players.

Games haven't increased prices for decades.

GravyButt

Still debating if it's worth getting now for the battlepacks or not. I mean I know im getting it eventually once the first maps drop. Should I just take advantage of it now though?Anything ever good in battlepacks or special perks with premium like double xp that non premium don't get?

terrible

Banned
Barely anyone plays dlc maps in bf4, it's really not worth the money because of that. Basically I get to play with the dlc weapons otherwise I might as well not even have premium.

I'm skipping premium this time, I've finally learned my lesson. If you could easily find full servers with all the dlc for every game mode it'd be worth it but I doubt that will be the case.

Pompadour

Pretty pathetic they've relegated France to a DLC pack to be honest.

I really don't find this argument that interesting. The "factions" are locked to whatever maps they're tied to. It's not, as far as I know, something like a class or weapon that you can freely use in any game mode or map.

breadtruck

As much as I hate DLC, Battlefield has been different to me since they feel more like the expansion packs of days-past. Besides just maps, there has been vehicles and a bunch of other additions that felt like value to the game, so Ive bought the season pass on both 3 and 4.

That said, with other games going back to free maps because they realize splitting the player base is a stupid decision, its harder for me to find the value in this.

I wont be buying it this time. The base game will be enough for me.

Last time I bought premium for £12 in a sale, I will wait again this time around and get it for cheaper unless word of mouth is through the roof for the quality of the DLC. On PS4 at least there were always full DLC servers in BF4 so I wouldn't worry about that too much in BF1.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Dice and EA need to look at stats on just how many people actually play these extra maps and quickly realize that most people don't and the people who want to can't because not enough players.

BF4 premium has most the dlc maps barren due to most people playing vanilla.

Venom Fox

Banned
Dice and EA need to look at stats on just how many people actually play these extra maps and quickly realize that most people don't and the people who want to can't because not enough players.

You never know though, the DLC maps for BF1 could be very good. They should have went a free maps with micro transactions route. Just stuff like weapon skins, Scopes, stuff that won't have an effect on gameplay.

Vipu

Banned
"wow so worth it, BF4 is still getting updates"

Why is there still tons of bugs from BF3 times in BF1 if so?
Skipping whole BF1 I guess...

RS4-

Free maps.
All skins (gun, vehicle, player) as dlc.

No split player base. CSGO hat economy instead.

Weapon unlocks are drops and purchased. Along with the usual level unlock

PLEASE MAKE THE OLDER MAPS FREE!!

Seriously, its fucking disgusting that they make people buy old maps when NO ONE PLAYS THEM.

It's a damn scam -- if the servers and players arent there, dont screw over people who buy the maps and are left with no value

Auctopus

A beta that really shook me on the game and a 50 Euro expansion pass pretty much means this has gone from Day 1 to a Digital Sale for the Premium Edition in about 1-2 years time.

Ataxia

Seriously, its fucking disgusting that they make people buy old maps when NO ONE PLAYS THEM.

It's a damn scam -- if the servers and players arent there, dont screw over people who buy the maps and are left with no value

Where do they make people buy old maps?

kakashi08

Played on PC and PS4, like PC better, but want to play ps4 but the joy sticks are not fun to play with while wanted to snipe really quick.

Any type of joy stick pads I can buy that will help for the ps4 controller?

R6 credits = Real money

The DLC operators take fucking ages upon ages to unlock. If you've unlocked all base operators, you'd have to play like 50 hours to unlock just the one DLC operator. Source: I've played 70+ hours and have enough now to unlock one DLC operator.

But the fact that you -could- unlock them with in-game currency generates so much goodwill it's easy to see why they announced it that way.

In reality though, it doesn't make much of a difference with just paying for it. Free maps are nice though, but there's 3 free maps now after almost a year. That's incomparable with BF1's planned 16 DLC maps.

TheRed

I might actually get Premium for the first time. I'm loving the game that much. That's a lot of new maps, and it's way more than a game like Overwatch produces, there probably won't be 16 new Overwatch maps by the time BF1 does, maybe not even half that. If that's the money they need to produce that amount of really big maps without waiting to rely on how well cosmetics are selling than I'm okay with it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Historically they've cycled through each map pack as Free for BF 4 and I believe Hardline, every pack has been free at one point.

RoKKeR

Hasn't BF4 had free "sales" of old expansions in the last year or so? Could have sworn I saw Second Assault and China Rising free on XBL a few times.

I agree though, there should come a time in which old maps become free to help the population stick together.

void666

Banned
I'll wait this time. If i really enjoy the base game i'll buy it.

BF3 premium was well worth it. BF4 not so much but that's because i quit playing it too early.

Don Lapre

I love BF4 premium and i have no problems finding enough hardcore servers running every dlc to be happy.

Gonna buy it for bf1 just to jump queue in full servers.

Nipo

I'd rather micro transactions (cosmetic and quicker unlocks) and free maps to preserve the community.

Barely anyone plays dlc maps in bf4, it's really not worth the money because of that. Basically I get to play with the dlc weapons otherwise I might as well not even have premium.

I'm skipping premium this time, I've finally learned my lesson. If you could easily find full servers with all the dlc for every game mode it'd be worth it but I doubt that will be the case.

That's all I've played since they've come out. I move on to the next pack when that's released. Plenty of people play them.

CrayToes

I'd rather pay for maps than only get a handful of maps over the course of a games lifetime, like what we're seeing with siege.

Siege's maps take such a huge amount of time to create and balance due to the nature of the game and they take even longer for players to master. It would be hugely overwhelming if they released 4 maps at once.

That's not to mention the fact that they release 2 new operators with each map that can completely change the meta game.

The only thing Siege could've done with more of with regards to DLC is new game modes. It's not really comparable to Battlefield.

With that being said, I would absolutely take slightly less content for BF1 if it meant it was free and available to all players to keep the community together in one place.

Nipo

Street Fighter II Turbo for the Snes cost me 90€ over 20 years ago.

This was a game with a fraction of the team and development costs of modern games. It also didn't have post launch support or servers for millions of players.

Games haven't increased prices for decades.

My first computer was almost $3000 in the early
80s. By the everything should follow inflation idea desktops would be around $8000 today. Technology, especially established mass market technology, tends to get cheaper not more expensive.

BibiMaghoo

In general terms, I have found the Battlefield season passes to be the best value in terms of what you get for your money. Sadly every time I have bought a premium, I have moved on from the game long before the DLC is even half out. They take far too long for it to be worth it at that price. By the time it's actual released it will cost a tenner.

Maybe on consoles, pretty much every US server on BF4 PC has every DLC map, I've never had a problem with finding a server in the 3 years it's been out. Vanilla servers are pretty rare to see in the server browser.

This is pretty exclusive to BF4 though, I don't play Hardline but the servers for it's DLC are completely barren on PC. If the game and content is good enough, the players will be there even years later.

fritolay

To be honest... Battlefield Premium has probably been the only season pass I ever thought was worth it. Will buy.

Same for me. The only pass I have purchased. I would buy every map pack or DLC for this series, but only this series as I play hundreds of hours.

I can't wait to see the maps for this setting.

Zombine

Banned
Would have preferred that they took a Rainbow Six: Siege approach to the DLC. Create two currencies, lock cosmetics behind paywalls of in-game currency and purchasable currency, as well as new weapons, cosmetics, and elite classes. New vehicles and maps would be free. A season pass of $30 could get you all bonus DLC content for free and earlier. But really all I care about are the maps being free to all.

They've changed this in Rainbow Six Siege where you can now buy everything with in-game R6 credits.

dano1

A Sheep
Fuck that!

I don't want to have to buy map packs and pay a hefty premium for the privilege.

I didn't enjoy what I played of the Titanfall beta and will be surprised if I pick that up day one.

I haven't bought a COD game in years and I don't intend to start anytime soon.

Deary me! It's up to you Gears 4 to help quench my MP and overall shooter needs this year. Don't let me down.....

Seem like a happy gamer...

Top Bottom