• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordCanti said:
I'm taking the recon news kind of hard. At any sort of range, not having one hit kills is a bit too much. The guy isn't going to stand around, waiting for you to take another shot. There should be a balancing effect, where if you get the hit from a long distance, it rewards you with a kill.

Personally, I think they've killed recon if no changes are made.
You can still get one hit kills as a sniper, they just need to be head shots... exactly the same as in BFBC2. That's where the skill is, and that's where the reward is.

Mr Sandman said:
40MM single shot vs 12 gauge w/magazine...?
I'm clearly no gun expert so can anyone explain the difference between buckshot fired from the M320 vs 12-gauge fired from the M26? Assuming they have a similar effect on target at close range why would anyone opt for the single shot version as opposed to the magazine fed one? And I'm assuming that a 40mm grenade would be similar to a frag round fired from the M26, wouldn't it? Or are there drastic differences between those rounds? It seems like nobody in their right mind would go for the single shot version when as you say there's a magazine fed one available.

LordCanti said:
I'm taking the recon news kind of hard. At any sort of range, not having one hit kills is a bit too much. The guy isn't going to stand around, waiting for you to take another shot. There should be a balancing effect, where if you get the hit from a long distance, it rewards you with a kill.

Aim for the head and it's a one hit kill from any range.. that marksman headshot bonus mmm mm

edit: Ah I see someone else appreciates it as well :)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
They better not get rid of snipers! There nothing cooler hunting the fuckers down. Plus they add even more tension to the game. Besides they exist in real warfare :)

LordCanti

endlessflood said:
You can still get one hit kills as a sniper, they just need to be head shots... exactly the same as in BFBC2. That's where the skill is, and that's where the reward is.

I get one hit kills in BC2 all the time that aren't head shots.

At really long range, getting a headshot is kind of a crap shoot. You've got to contend with the person moving for one thing, as well as bullet drop. Getting one hit is a really good job. Getting two hits in a row would be a miracle (unless the person just doesn't even realize he's being shot at).

At a shorter range, I don't understand what advantage you'd have with a sniper rifle over a single fire assault or battle rifle. Yes, you could go for the headshot, but you could do that with any gun.

Using a single-shot bolt action rifle has become completely pointless.

LordCanti said:

Not everyone is always at 100% health. You will have one hit kills.

I get that people don't want sniper rifles to be nerfed...but really, a sniper's role is reconnaisance support, not the hand of god. Counter snipe/taking out defensive positions is fairly easy if you line your shots up, and you have a better view of the battlefield from a distance/vantage point. My ideal role for a sniper is covering the rest of the team/mopping up as a team assaults. If you have a sniper at the flank of an advancing force, that's a huge advantage.

Who knows about the MASS vs M320. Could be a typo. The P90TR was a typo. I still think the fact sheet was typed up by an intern 15 minutes before the show started.

Kibbles said:
Is there going to be a "Hardcore" mode?

Yes. Check OP.

LordCanti

elrechazao said:
Not everyone is always at 100% health. You will have one hit kills.

True, but if you are the only person holding a ridge for instance, it becomes a lot more difficult.

kibbles said:
A headshot is still one-hit kill, no? Why are people saying 1-shot kill is impossible?

A headshot is a one hit kill, but a headshot is also very difficult at extremely long ranges.

Mr. Snrub said:
I get that people don't want sniper rifles to be nerfed...but really, a sniper's role is reconnaisance support, not the hand of god. Counter snipe/taking out defensive positions is fairly easy if you line your shots up, and you have a better view of the battlefield from a distance/vantage point. My ideal role for a sniper is covering the rest of the team/mopping up as a team assaults. If you have a sniper at the flank of an advancing force, that's a huge advantage.
Yes. Check OP.

If a recon still has motion mines and things of that nature, at least that functionality is left. I'm not sure why you'd want a sniper covering your flank, when you could have a support class with unlimited supply of LMG bullets at his disposal though.

I'm probably going to push heavily into engineer, until I get stingers. That will probably be the best help for the team.

I am actually quite glad DICE is taking drastic measures to ensure the recon class is not overused and over powered.

In Bc2 the recon class was the jack of all trades class, it excelled at every aspect of the game from close quarters to long distance to anti vehicle work.

Look forward to less recons in Bf3. They made Bc2 intolerable at times.

Edit-

Lord Canti, Recon does not have motion sensors in BF3. I remember reading a tweet where the Demize said it did not fit in the world of BF3.

Have they shown off anything from this console wise yet?

Yes, I know, I need to get a gaming PC..but until then..

Edit* Just saw the OP again and realized I missed the PS3 stage demo. Oops.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are people upset about no one-hit kills with snipers in BF3? You couldn't do that in BC2, unless they were up really close and you got a lucky no scope. An M95 with Magnum Ammo couldn't even one shot someone in the torso.

Demoncarnotaur said:
Have they shown off anything from this console wise yet?

Yes, I know, I need to get a gaming PC..but until then..
They've shown the PS3 version a couple times but the footage of it around isn't that great. That said, some of the better off-screen footage from Gamescom makes it look pretty solid for a multiplatform game, aside from some crappy textures on some things. It seems like there's very little aliasing, only minor tearing, smooth framerate, and great lighting. It definitely seems a step above DICE's other console games.

LordCanti

gibon3z said:
Lord Canti, Recon does not have motion sensors in BF3. I remember reading a tweet where the Demize said it did not fit in the world of BF3.

There is officially no reason to play as recon then :p

RoboPlato said:
Why are people upset about no one-hit kills with snipers in BF3? You couldn't do that in BC2, unless they were up really close and you got a lucky no scope. An M95 with Magnum Ammo couldn't even one shot someone in the torso.

I'm confused by this statement. I've one shot killed people by hitting them in the midsection, I'm sure of it. They'd spawn, run up the hill toward the armed MCOM on valparaiso, and without anyone else touching them, I'd bring them down with a single shot to the gut.

Is it different on PC than on the 360? Truth be told, I'm on lvl 20 on the PC, but I'm level...hell...40 something probably on the 360.

tehbible

RoboPlato said:
you could one shot in BF2 to the head.

Hahaha people complaining about no one shot kill bodyshots, are you for serious?

Did 5 years of only cod and bad company kill so many brain cells that you no longer have the hand eye coordinations to just aim for the head?

tehbible

SneakyStephan said:
Hahaha people complaining about no one shot kill bodyshots, are you for serious?

Did 5 years of only cod and bad company kill so many brain cells that you no longer have the hand eye coordinations to just aim for the head?
in all fairness a sniper shot to the head should be a one shot kill.

if not, wtf DICE. don't make it TOO noob friendly a la CS:Source style

legacyzero

Banned
LordCanti said:

I kinda agree with you. My stance is: Bullet drop + Bolt Action, should equal a 1 hit kill. I dont know how many times I'm hit somebody with what seemed to be a center mass shot, only to get a hit marker. Semi-auto snipers shouldn't be 1 hit unless its a head shot or the if your opponent is already hurt.

tehbible said:
in all fairness a sniper shot to the head should be a one shot kill.

if not, wtf DICE. don't make it TOO noob friendly a la CS:Source style
They said no bodyshot one shot kills, how are you turning that into no headshot one hit kills?
Unless their netcode is so terrible that you can't reliable headshot people (this is very likely knowing dice) a headshot will one hit kill just fine.

LordCanti said:
There is officially no reason to play as recon then :p

Of course there is.

Now you can actually recon for your team.

Find a nice high vantage quiet spot. Spot enemies for your team, look for high value targets like squad leaders take them out. Continue to spot and request air strikes and mortar strikes.

Sure you will not be the one man wrecking crew you were in BC2 but you still have a role.

LordCanti

SneakyStephan said:

I'm talking about long range specifically. BF3's guns are so low recoil now, that sniping at any shorter distance should be easy enough with any of the single shot assault rifles.

At long range, as I've mentioned, you've got to contest with bullet drop, the person moving, etc. Asking a sniper to get a head shot at that range, under those conditions, is a bit much. It can be done obviously, but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of time.

If I can rack up 30-40 kills a match (like mr_nothin was doing in the alpha) playing as another class, why would I be recon, especially when I can effectively engage the enemy at a pretty good distance with just a G13 (as assault)?

If I'm completely wrong about BC2 not having one hit body kills, I take back all of this criticism. I've been awake for nearly 24 hours at this point, and I'm not thinking as clearly as I could be.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
LordCanti said:
Battlefield has some of the only maps big enough that recon is actually a decent and necessary class. One sniper can hold off an infantry advance if he's got a good enough position. Take it away, and the combat becomes a lot more close quarters, and centered around the capture points/MCOM's. This is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

I don't think they should have a mortar strike like in BC2, but taking away their only real function makes them useless. They might as well scrap the class altogether.

No he can't. At best he can be bothersome.

Fuck snipers. They suck and ruin the game. I hope they cripple them out of existence. The one in a million "sniper" recon player who works with his assault squad to hound objectives is just that: one in a million. Not worth it.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
If I can wrack up 30-40 kills a match (like mr_nothin was doing in the alpha) playing as another class, why would I be recon, especially when I can effectively engage the enemy at a pretty good distance with just a G13 (as assault)?

If I'm completely wrong about BC2 not having one hit body kills, I take back all of this criticism. I've been awake for nearly 24 hours at this point, and I'm not thinking as clearly as I could be.
Hey now! I switched between all classes depending on the need. And I earned those kills while doing the objective! To be honest, I rarely saw anyone get 30+ kills in the alpha. Anyways, I'm just trolling recons right now ;) Snipers are an essential part to a game like battlefield. I dont have too many problems with snipers....unless there's a whole team of them not doing anything but then again I hate when there's a bunch of assault classes sitting around camping ammo and firing/throwing grenades for 10 mins (Valspario or w/e that map's name is).

BC2 had 1 hit body kills for the top sniper rifle (forgot the name). It had a small range in which you could get those 1 hit kills though.

LordCanti said:

Are you making fun of my beloved -takes 2 headshots to even kill- VSS?
ps3_dreamgazer.png

*goes mourn the loss of motion sensors*

LordCanti

Evolved1 said:
No he can't. At best he can be bothersome.

Fuck snipers. They suck and ruin the game. I hope they cripple them out of existence. The one in a million "sniper" recon player who works with his assault squad to hound objectives is just that: one in a million. Not worth it.

Not to toot my own horn, but I do cover the infantry's advance, and put mortar strikes on valuable targets (tanks, MCOM's, etc).

I understand the hate people have for snipers. Too many people use it as the sit back, camp, and mortar class, while not contributing to their team at all. They watch the tickets wind down, and never do anything to try to arm an MCOM, or capture a point.

mr_nothin said:
Hey now! I switched between all classes depending on the need. And I earned those kills while doing the objective! To be honest, I rarely saw anyone get 30+ kills in the alpha. Anyways, I'm just trolling recons right now ;)

BC2 had 1 hit body kills for the top sniper rifle (forgot the name). It had a small range in which you could get those 1 hit kills though.

Oh, I know. We capped a lot of MCOM's together after all, lol.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People always hate the guy who has better range than they do, makes them feel impotent when they get put down.

If we got rid of every game mechanic that a pub team could mess up---for instance, being an effective sniper for the team---we'd have to get rid of every mechanic.

LordCanti

mr_nothin said:
That we did, my camping sniper buddy...that we did ;)

Lol. I did a lot of camping
right next to the mcom, with a shotgun, pumping lead into fools while I armed it, lol

Really though, once I got the G13, I was pretty damn lethal at long ranges. That's why I'm giving the recon class so much shit probably. I guess the same could be said of some of the guns in BC2, but the hit detection and netcode was so wonky that it wasn't as big of a problem. Now, I can foresee myself dominating at medium to even long range, without needing to be recon at all.

When I'm not in a jet, of course.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah the cool thing about being a sniper is getting that one hit kill.

Kinda sad if that's impossible. I think that's bad game design, even if it does please a lot of people.
OHKs are extremely annoying for grunts in large maps.

I guess OHK headshots are tolerable, but I say no on body shots.

Evolved1

LordCanti said:
Not to toot my own horn, but I do cover the infantry's advance, and put mortar strikes on valuable targets (tanks, MCOM's, etc).

I understand the hate people have for snipers. Too many people use it as the sit back, camp, and mortar class, while not contributing to their team at all. They watch the tickets wind down, and never do anything to try to arm an MCOM, or capture a point.

It's not hard to play recon the right way. In BC1 it was my primary class. But people don't do it right. Too many people. So many people. I can't take it anymore. I'm sick and tired of having to carry an entire squad of retards. It's not fair. Or fun. They are the most useless waste of space garbage players. They don't do anything except the wrong thing all the time. Out of the blue one of them will hop in a vehicle just to waste it... at like the worst times. They make defense in Rush turn into these long mind-numbingly boring, drawn out games because the wookie team won't leave their invulnerable spawn. It's torture.

A recon with a shotgun or whatever, I respect. Team player. Some little bitch in a bush... god.

I hope they nuke the class.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
Lol. I did a lot of camping
right next to the mcom, with a shotgun, pumping lead into fools while I armed it, lol

Really though, once I got the G13, I was pretty damn lethal at long ranges. That's why I'm giving the recon class so much shit probably. I guess the same could be said of some of the guns in BC2, but the hit detection and netcode was so wonky that it wasn't as big of a problem. Now, I can foresee myself dominating at medium to even long range, without needing to be recon at all.

When I'm not in a jet, of course.
Heh, yea..you were right there in the action with me most of the time. I dont really have a problem with 2 hit body kills though. I did a lot of close range sniping + pistol switch = killing in BC2...even with that wonky netcode/hit detection. Shouldnt be too bad, considering how good BF3's netcode is so far.

abuC

If there were 1 hit kills you'd have about 24 people on each team using recon, just look at hardcore mode in BC2, everyone thinks they are Vassili Zaitsev. I guess they saw that the vast majority of people playing recon only used motion sensors when they felt threatened and thought someone was in their camp site.

LordCanti

Evolved1 said:
It's not hard to play recon the right way. In BC1 it was my primary class. But people don't do it right. Too many people. So many people. I can't take it anymore. I'm sick and tired of having to carry an entire squad of retards. It's not fair. Or fun. They are the most useless waste of space garbage players. They don't do anything except the wrong thing all the time. Out of the blue one of them will hop in a vehicle just to waste it... at like the worst times. They make defense in Rush turn into these long mind-numbingly boring, drawn out games because the wookie team won't leave their invulnerable spawn. It's torture.

A recon with a shotgun or whatever, I respect. Team player. Some little bitch in a bush... god.

I hope they nuke the class.

I've been in too many helicopters that people have immediately crashed into the ground. I think it's fair to say that I loathe having to play with random people.

I hope there are just a ton of people in the BF3 gaf group come the beta (or retail), and that we can fill out an entire team.

Evolved1

LordCanti said:
I've been in too many helicopters that people have immediately crashed into the ground. I think it's fair to say that I loathe having to play with random people.

I hope there are just a ton of people in the BF3 gaf group come the beta (or retail), and that we can fill out an entire team.

For the record... I have no problem with my gaf buddies rolling traditional recon. They aren't retarded. I know they're contributing. That's great, and it makes recon a fun class to have on your side.

But randoms? ugh.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LordCanti said:

On the flip side, I hated when people started jumping out the blackbird when the flight got a little rough. It's like, "Calm down. I got this."

LordCanti

abuC said:
If there were 1 hit kills you'd have about 24 people on each team using recon, just look at hardcore mode in BC2, everyone thinks they are Vassili Zaitsev. I guess they saw that the vast majority of people playing recon only used motion sensors when they felt threatened and thought someone was in their camp site.

Had to google to find out who that was. 225 kills....wow.... I don't know if I could live with that, but it must have taken some steel balls.

Evolved1 said:
For the record... I have no problem with my gaf buddies rolling traditional recon. They aren't retarded. I know they're contributing. That's great, and it makes recon a fun class to have on your side.

But randoms? ugh.

Randoms can only be counted on to die when they are the last person in the squad, not make any attempt to cap the MCOM/point, and just generally provide as little support as humanly possible.

Randoms drove me right the hell off of Xbox Live and into a renewed love for PC gaming
which also had randoms, but at least servers on the PC have rules against spawn raping, among other things

SapientWolf said:
On the flip side, I hated when people started jumping out the blackbird when the flight got a little rough. It's like, "Calm down. I got this."

Hah, yeah. Bank a little too sharply, and some people will bail right out on you. I had an Apache gunner bail on me yesterday at the first warning of an incoming missile (that I dodged).

At the range that snipers can't head shot consistently they just shouldn't be able to unless they're really, really good at predicting the curve of the bullet. Heavy Metal isn't nearly as fun as it should be with snipers 1 hit body shot killing people from across the map. I hate it when there's games where 50% of all players eventually resort to switching to recon.

LordCanti

Tallshortman said:
At the range that snipers can't head shot consistently they just shouldn't be able to unless they're really, really good at predicting the curve of the bullet. Heavy Metal isn't nearly as fun as it should be with snipers 1 hit body shot killing people from across the map. I hate it when there's games where 50% of all players eventually resort to switching to recon.

The people sniping on heavy metal are dicks. They're so far away from the flags that they have almost no impact at all on what is actually happening. Every now and then they may throw a useful mortar barrage in the direction of the enemy, but what a waste of humanity.

LordCanti said:
True, but if you are the only person holding a ridge for instance, it becomes a lot more difficult.
DICE is trying to promote team play in general so I doubt they'd like to see any class holding a ridge by itself. In BFBC2 as a defender on Arica Harbour's second set I'll often take a 12X scope and head to a rooftop across the road from B. From there I can mark all enemies coming down the left had side for my teammates at the bottom of the hill. If any enemies are stationary I can headshot them for a one hit kill. If they're moving I take a potshot: sometimes I'll miss, sometimes I'll get a headshot, but often I'll get a body shot and do significant damage.

What this all means is that my teammates waiting at the bottom of the hill can see the enemy coming because I've marked them, and in many cases are facing heavily wounded enemies from my shots coming down the hill. I get most of my points during this time from spot assists and critical kill assists rather than kills. Once I get really annoying then the enemy will start to countersnipe, target me with tanks and/or the UAV. They also have the option of just using a smoke grenade to cover their advance through that section. All in all though that seems like a pretty good arrangement for everybody from a gameplay perspective. This is the sort of stuff the recon class should be doing, rather than running around quickscoping people with bolt-action rifles at 3m.

LordCanti said:
I'm confused by this statement. I've one shot killed people by hitting them in the midsection, I'm sure of it.
Here are the damage stats for the BFBC2 weapons. You'll see that the M24, SV98, and GOL are all one hit body kills only to a distance of 10m. The M95 is a one hit body kill up to 18m. By removing the one hit body kills DICE are only altering those weapons when fired inside those ranges, which is really only going to affect people who are quickscoping.

SneakyStephan said:
Vanilla BFBC2 didn't have long range body shot kills champ, so you might want to narrow your insults slightly.

Anyone know how the knife is going to work on consoles? Press a button to slash or an equipable weapon like on the Alpha?

BC2's knife had the delay that made knifing a bit more challenging than other FPS', which became very a satisfying thing for me once I got used to it. Can't wait to steal some dog tags in the beta..

LordCanti

sw33tclyde said:
Anyone know how the knife is going to work on consoles? Press a button to slash or an equipable weapon like on the Alpha?

BC2's knife had the delay that made knifing a bit more challenging than other FPS', which became very a satisfying thing for me once I got used to it. Can't wait to steal some dog tags in the beta..

BF3 alpha included a button to initiate a stabbing animation (that couldn't be backed out of, and that was guaranteed lethal to the other person). You didn't have to equip the knife first.

Xux said:
G3.

And snipers get motion sensors; they just set them down instead of throwing them:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30212007&postcount=2442

Not to mention the toy airplane/helicopter they can deploy and the "Radio Beacon" and "SOF Laser Pointer" that probably belongs to the class.

G3, G13, cut me some slack (I've now been up for 29 or so hours :p).

I guess I should probably sleep now. No one told my university that I needed to stay up all day in order to secure an HP Touchpad.

LordCanti

Xux said:
I think every attacker that lets the defenders steal the LAV on that map should get punched in the balls.

Punched in the balls until they can't have children anymore. Absolutely no excuse for it. On the opposite team, the guy that steals the LAV, and then doesn't immediately retreat it way away from the opposing team, should be punched in the balls as well.

LordCanti said:
BF3 alpha had push a button to initiate a stabbing animation (that couldn't be backed out of, and that was guaranteed lethal to the other person). You didn't have to equip the knife first.

I've only seen a little bit of Alpha footage so I don't have much to go on, but that's only when you stab them from behind right? Regular swings were 2 hit kills and the knife swing was faster?

And I've never played BC2 on PC, so how does the knifing compare to the Alpha?

Edit: Rush hype building..

LordCanti

sw33tclyde said:
I've only seen a little bit of Alpha footage so I don't have much to go on, but that's only when you stab them from behind right? Regular swings were 2 hit kills and the knife swing was faster?

And I've never played BC2 on PC, so how does the knifing compare to the Alpha?

Hmm...I'm trying to think back if there was an animation from the front or not. I know there was for stabbing someone proned out...

Sorry, I can't remember stabbing anyone from the front right now. I usually use bullets from in front :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom