• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 E3 Livestream News Summary and Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully dice wont let PS360 gimping the next-gen consoles.

Shouldn't be. The PC, X1, and PS4 versions will all probably be very comparable, with the 360 and PS3 versions being super gimped.

I played (and had a great time) with BF3 on the 360, but I can't imagine playing BF4 for the 360 or PS3.

-----------------

qmb1DQG.gif

Shouldn't be. The PC, X1, and PS4 versions will all probably be very comparable, with the 360 and PS3 versions being super gimped.

I played (and had a great time) with BF3 on the 360, but I can't imagine playing BF4 for the 360 or PS3.

-----------------

qmb1DQG.gif

Awesome. I noticed player models turning their heads towards you/the nearest player, too.

Tagg9

Never played a Battlefield game before, but after reading all of the details in the OP I think I'm sold. Definitely going to be one of the games I get at the PS4 launch.

JimiNutz

Banned
Never played a Battlefield game before, but after reading all of the details in the OP I think I'm sold. Definitely going to be one of the games I get at the PS4 launch.

Same with me. Think this looks amazing and it will be my first Battlefield and my first PS4 game.

Does anyone know how 'noob' friendly BF is?
Is it easy to pick up and play or am I going to spend the first few months being a huge hindrance to my team?

I'm not expecting much from SP but is there any way of practicing offline to get used to the vehicles etc. before jumping in online and facing real opposition?

Same with me. Think this looks amazing and it will be my first Battlefield and my first PS4 game.

Is it easy to pick up and play or am I going to spend the first few months being a huge hindrance to my team?

I'm not expecting much from SP but is there any way of practicing offline to get used to the vehicles etc. before jumping in online and facing real opposition?

It's fairly easy to pick up, I think. The damage model is a bit more forgiving than CoD and it's easiest to learn at launch, IMO, because everyone else is a noob.

However, having friends makes it much better. There should be a practice mode, too.

JimiNutz

Banned
It's fairly easy to pick up, I think. The damage model is a bit more forgiving than CoD and it's easiest to learn at launch, IMO, because everyone else is a noob.

However, having friends makes it much better. There should be a practice mode, too.

Thanks for the response.
Yeah I understand that to get the most out of the game you need to be getting involved in team work. Hopefully I'll find some cool people to play with through GAF :)
Good to hear that there should be a practice mode too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

They have added a practice mode for the vehicles... so one of the biggest hurdles for new players in past games (piloting) has been addressed. Though, in past games you could always jump in an empty server to acclimate yourself to controls... but I assume this practice mode might actually have targets/enemies to shoot at, which would be the first time there is combat practice.

As far as the base game, imo BF is pretty intuitive for new players... just know some of the basic tenets of Battlefield:

• Never bail on powerful vehicles, possibly giving them to the other team -- go down with the ship, captain.
  • Spot, always!
  • Play your role and always give ammo, health, etc to teammates.
  • Recon is a great class... "snipers" are losers who need to go back to CoD.

Also, these modern shooters are all full of unlock bullshit now. This can be a pain in the butt for vehicles if you don't have certain unlocks... best way to get the vehicle unlocks is to be the gunner for a while, you'll get them all unlocked pretty quick and you can be in better shape for piloting.

BF is amazing... play with at least 3-4 friends and you will love it.

Can someone please tell me the advantage of a silencer in BF3... I've played it heaps and I just can't work it out. I always just go flash suppressor. It reduces damage, and causes more bullet drop, yet there is no reason to silence your weapon is there?

I know this is probably a stupid question to ask. I asked this question here because someone said earlier they want to have different kits, a silenced kit for some levels etc... but I just want to know the reason for having a silenced kit...

MGHA

Can someone please tell me the advantage of a silencer in BF3... I've played it heaps and I just can't work it out. I always just go flash suppressor. It reduces damage, and causes more bullet drop, yet there is no reason to silence your weapon is there?

I know this is probably a stupid question to ask. I asked this question here because someone said earlier they want to have different kits, a silenced kit for some levels etc... but I just want to know the reason for having a silenced kit...

You don't show up on radar, when firing a weapon.

Bishop89

AH-1Z footage looks great.
feel like its gonna be a challenge to take it down as they will be able to get out of the sight of a stinger(whatever) relatively fast with all those skyscrapers.

mr_nothin

Banned
Last ones, sorry about your bandwidth.

iZiBObKz1iOHe.gif

ib1lpaiR1hEwrA.gif

Really wish I could get excited for this but I will not until I see what the netcode is about. I need some hard evidence that I wont get shot around walls/corners any longer. I also need to see someone run full speed and stop dead in their tracks then face the player.....I need to see if it still looks like an insta-stop and insta-direction switch because that pisses me off when tracking someone.

mr_nothin

Banned
I didn't think that happened in BF isn't that COD? Wow... I did not know that!

They added it in BF3. IDK why they did that crap. It was one of the things that many fought against during the alpha but then they added it to have more of a difference between the flash supp and regular supp. I still wish they would freakin take it out or completely rework it if it MUST be in there (and I'm afraid they reeeeeaaallly want it in there).

Divus

AH-1Z footage looks great.
feel like its gonna be a challenge to take it down as they will be able to get out of the sight of a stinger(whatever) relatively fast with all those skyscrapers.

At the same time it will be easier to shoot them with a RPG or out of there cockpit if they are forced down a narrow street.

Always found it much easier to use either of those two methods than any anti air missles myself.

They added it in BF3. IDK why they did that crap. It was one of the things that many fought against during the alpha but then they added it to have more of a difference between the flash supp and regular supp. I still wish they would freakin take it out or completely rework it if it MUST be in there (and I'm afraid they reeeeeaaallly want it in there).

But it's just map yeah? Not the arrow over your head as well?

I will have to consider using a suppressor more often now I think, and definitely put my pistols back to the silenced versions.

spanks

Christ, no battle recorder again? What is it going to take for DICE to implement it?

Yeah, this is the one thing that bums me out about BF4. I was really looking forward to doing some creative stuff, and seeing what other people create. That's one thing that CoD still has over Battlefield- actual gameplay recording.

Remmy2112

QTEs in an online game?

What could possibly go wrong!

From the trailer it looked to be a single press of F, which I believe was the default melee button in Battlefield 3, not a complicated series of commands. Dunno if the key in question randomizes or if it is the same. The speed in which it happened made it seem like there is a very, very small window for you to notice and press the button to counter.

PandaL

If 1080p at 60FPS is confirmed for PS4, I'll have a dilemma on my hands. PC vs. PS4?

1080p & 60fps confirmed for PS4.

Whoa, I see you posting in a Battlefield thread after a very long time. Welcome back!

Deadly

Zh1nt0 info summary from his presentation at Dreamhack 2013:
Yeah they said the same thing for BF3 esports and look how that ended...

I'm curious if the counter-knife will work that well as a QTE. I mean it's not that hard to miss them which would make knifing useless since you'll always get countered. Bummer about mobile Commander being only iOS, why not Android too?

Ramon3MR

Neo Member
I gotta admit, I went from "Meh, I really like Battlefield 3...I'm happy just playing that" to "Damn, I want BF4!"

Really happy about the return of Commander Mode.

Menelaus

Banned
Yeah they said the same thing for BF3 esports and look how that ended...

I'm curious if the counter-knife will work that well as a QTE. I mean it's not that hard to miss them which would make knifing useless since you'll always get countered. Bummer about mobile Commander being only iOS, why not Android too?

So basically they added knifing from the front, with the added QTE. I'm pretty sure a knife from behind will still have no QTE. It's totally a feature add, they're not changing the way it already works.

RoKKeR

Rewatching the Gamespot interview with Bach and he says that at least one MP map has huge waves, similar to the Angry Sea demo!

I think this is a reference to the unannounced Naval warfare mode/map that zh1nt0 teased at Dreamhack. I think it will be a Titan-like mode where sea combat is the primary focus.

From my post on the previous page:

Naval Warfare will be big, trailer Soon™

Naval Warfare is definitely going to be more than what we saw on Shanghai. I'm pumped.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Love the new animations for the copilot in the cobra...

RoKKeR

Alpha invites are completely random. They look at "Battlefield Vets" with high Veteran statuses, but even then it is random and people who have owned every BF game still get shafted on Alpha. (this is from BF3's Alpha trial)

If I remember correctly, they rolled out Alpha invites in waves for BF3 so hopefully they will be expanding the pool over the next two weeks. My Veteran status is 7, so hopefully that's worth something.

It's also worth nothing that this is a white block Alpha, meaning that the map textures are gone, and only soldiers/weapons are textured. So, kind of disappointing, but I'd still love to try out all of the new things they've added.

Freak

Has anyone heard if there's a Premium style version of BF4 coming ? I want to pre-order and BF3's premium was such good a good deal.

RoKKeR

Welp, time to pack it up. Alpha shenanigans ended almost as soon as it started. Frankly, that's a good thing.

Unfortunately I won't be home for the beta so I'll have to wait until release to play. Nonetheless, we should get a few interesting tidbits from the Alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom