• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 multiplayer issues

educator

Even though it worked most of the times, I decided to trade it in yesterday. I will be buying it back in about a month however when the worst issues hopefully has been patched.

Cheech

wow, you have no idea what you're talking about.

it is an insane hassle to get 5+ people on the same team.

Cheech is smoking crack apparently.

No, no crack smoking here.

I regularly play this game on PS4 with 3 other dudes, and it's trivial to find a medium pop server to get in and everyone on the same squad. If you have 5 dudes and are trying to party up on a server that already has 55+ people on it, you're gonna have a bad time.

The issue is overblown. It's not ideal, and I would prefer it work like Halo, but I'd much rather DICE fix the myriad other issues with this game first.

terrible

Banned
Finally sat down and gave this game a shot yesterday. I've only been playing BF4 on and off since that amazon deal for PS3->Upgrade to PS4. I had quite a bit of fun despite a few crashes. I've been playing BF since 1942 and this is the first time I've played on a console platform. After playing PC and switching over it's a completely different game. Playing on consoles is much easier than playing on PC. Anybody else notice this?

Yeah, it's a lot easier on console. Since everyone is using a controller you can really get away with moving into the open a lot more which keeps you alive lol.

keezy

Yeah, it's a lot easier on console. Since everyone is using a controller you can really get away with moving into the open a lot more which keeps you alive lol.

That and it seems like teamwork is lacking. With previous BF's on PC I'd be in Vent/TS with about 10 other people in multiple squads. There was actually a method to that madness. On consoles it seems like people just wander.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I have had it happen multiple times while using the m16 which has no auto fire mode.

Damn! Upside, it means my DS4 isn't broken. Haha!

I'm pretty sure the "jamming" is from the long presses of R2. You have to release the trigger completely before you can fire another shot so when you press it quickly, the button doesn't release all the way. This is why I hope they add R1 as a firing option.

I might try this out but if this is the case, WTF? Seems complicated. Add in the fact that I haven't even been able to unlock the other pistols since I need to kill people with pistols and they jam...sigh.

I hope there's an easier way to get an automatic pistol or get that shotty one.

kitch9

Banned
Finally sat down and gave this game a shot yesterday. I've only been playing BF4 on and off since that amazon deal for PS3->Upgrade to PS4. I had quite a bit of fun despite a few crashes. I've been playing BF since 1942 and this is the first time I've played on a console platform. After playing PC and switching over it's a completely different game. Playing on consoles is much easier than playing on PC. Anybody else notice this?

There's a lot less chance of being headshotted whilst sprinting and jumping by a sniper who's a mile away hidden in the hills and hasn't moved the entire round. There's no niggling doubts that your are on a server full of hackers either.

I can only play with 100% sensitivity though after being used to a mouse but I do tend to spaz out if I get caught in a surprise close quarters encounter and I need to sort that part of my game.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Just a thought came to me, how do you migrate BF4 Premium from PS3 to PS4? Someone on my friends list messaged me yesterday and said his stats did migrate but BF4 Premium didn't.

So, say I have BF4 Premium for PS3, I can enter it and then migrate so that I have BF4 Premium for PS4, yes?

jsip

Banned
No, no crack smoking here.

I regularly play this game on PS4 with 3 other dudes, and it's trivial to find a medium pop server to get in and everyone on the same squad. If you have 5 dudes and are trying to party up on a server that already has 55+ people on it, you're gonna have a bad time.

The issue is overblown. It's not ideal, and I would prefer it work like Halo, but I'd much rather DICE fix the myriad other issues with this game first.
Because conquest is the only mode people play and there are no squad based game types. Mmhmmm.

jsip

Banned
That and it seems like teamwork is lacking. With previous BF's on PC I'd be in Vent/TS with about 10 other people in multiple squads. There was actually a method to that madness. On consoles it seems like people just wander.
Said it before but its early yet. People are more concerned about unlocking kits, weapons, etc right now via kills than anything else. Weapons, attachments are unlocked via kills. Maps are still being learned, etc. Give it a few months to settle in.

Xater

is the game still suffering from crashes etc on Ps4 ? i have not been on it for a while.

Yes.

Also on the matter of team work most squad leaders are shit and don#t give orders. I always hope I get to be the squad leader because I make sure to always hand out new orders and keep track of what is happening on the map.

Ljwinter

Banned
Said it before but its early yet. People are more concerned about unlocking kits, weapons, etc right now via kills than anything else. Weapons, attachments are unlocked via kills. Maps are still being learned, etc. Give it a few months to settle in.

This is somewhat true but so far in my playtime, my teammates have been horrible. They don't heal, they don't revive or drop ammo and the other half of the team play as recon hiding on some rooftop miles away from the action. Relying on your squad mates or anyone for that matter is pretty much a bad idea right now. Your best bet is to go lone wolf and just hope for the best.

Then when you're finally doing good. CRASH.

King_Moc

Banned
Yes.

Also on the matter of team work most squad leaders are shit and don#t give orders. I always hope I get to be the squad leader because I make sure to always hand out new orders and keep track of what is happening on the map.

If would help if the game told you how this stuff worked.

Jhn

Now, this is obviously a small problem in the grand scope borderline game-breaking stuff that's going on, but has anyone gotten their emblem to actually show up in a round yet, or is it just disabled altogether?

jsip

Banned
This is somewhat true but so far in my playtime, my teammates have been horrible. They don't heal, they don't revive or drop ammo and the other half of the team play as recon hiding on some rooftop miles away from the action. Relying on your squad mates or anyone for that matter is pretty much a bad idea right now. Your best bet is to go lone wolf and just hope for the best.

Then when you're finally doing good. CRASH.
This is also true. I try to chalk it up to people trying to rank up weapons but you are right. I rarely see an ammo pack or health pack anywhere. I mean... I love playing support and seeing flashing ammo signs above peoples heads is like a bright neon sign that says "FREE POINTS YO". Same with assault and health packs. Its confusing and disheartening.

Then there's the guys that grab your tank and A) use it to drive into a base quicker just to get out and have an enemy take it or B) chill in the farthest back area you can and not move forward.

But, this is OT so... :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yes.

Yup, same as spotting. I cant believe that people still dont spot!
It's the friggin' R1 button!!

BTW the field upgrade system doesnt work at all on most of the game modes given the game pace. I think it needs to be rebalanced.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
If would help if the game told you how this stuff worked.

Yep. DICE really needs to have a proper tutorial level where spotting, etc. are taught and throw in a Trophy or Achievement so people will actually try it. This Test Range thing is good for trying vehicles, but that's about it.

Yup, same as spotting. I cant believe that people still dont spot!
It's the friggin' R1 button!!

BTW the field upgrade system doesnt work at all on most of the game modes given the game pace. I think it needs to be rebalanced.

Very annoying. I'm grateful when I'm in an actual team that spots. I've gotten the Spotting Medal twice already and if there was only a way to see that before squadding up with someone. :(

Doesn't help that DICE doesn't teach this properly and how some people think spotting=kills getting "stolen."

Had no problems with crashing until we got into Operation Locker. That map sucks. It's a guaranteed crash for me, besides being a terrible map. I think it might be good in Rush, Deathmatch or other modes, but in Conquest it's just a meat grinder. Fine if you're the butcher, crappy if you're the sausage. Look at the map in-game and one team holds AB, the other holds DE, and everyone's fighting in 3 corridors at C.

Had no problems with crashing until we got into Operation Locker. That map sucks. It's a guaranteed crash for me, besides being a terrible map. I think it might be good in Rush, Deathmatch or other modes, but in Conquest it's just a meat grinder. Fine if you're the butcher, crappy if you're the sausage. Look at the map in-game and one team holds AB, the other holds DE, and everyone's fighting in 3 corridors at C.

Operation Locker is the new Operation Metro.

A lot of people seem to dig these close quarters kill spree maps though.

At least, Locker has an alternate way to flank the enemy outside.

Jut

Banned
Now, this is obviously a small problem in the grand scope borderline game-breaking stuff that's going on, but has anyone gotten their emblem to actually show up in a round yet, or is it just disabled altogether?

i haven't got mine to show on PS4. From what i've heard they only show up on PC...for now.

Also, my PS4 is in DMZ i really haven't been crashing. Every time i play Hainan Resort i get rubber band lag though.

Heap people wander. Because nobody uses their fucking mics. I just don't understand it anymore. 100 hours of BF4 and I've never heard a voice outside of GAFers. Or in any other PS4 game. Maybe the design of the mic with the uncomfortable earpiece is having a retarding effect on mic usage, but it's just as bad now as it ever was on the PS3.

Not communicating in team games makes me want to punch kittens.

Interfectum

I actually like the map. It's dumb fun.

Yep. DICE really needs to have a proper tutorial level where spotting, etc. are taught and throw in a Trophy or Achievement so people will actually try it. This Test Range thing is good for trying vehicles, but that's about it.

And even then it's only good for test-driving the US vehicles, and the weapons you've already unlocked. They had the same issue in BF3, where you could only change your US loadouts. I don't know why I'd want to try 9 different flavors of sniper rifles scattered on the ground, either. It's just so half-assed, like their menus.

see5harp

Yes.

This. Squad leaders are the dumbest of the dumb. You can easily double your points each round by just setting objectives and sticking together. On a good squad I can easily get like 15k in a single round (and towards the end of the round CRASH).

Heap people wander. Because nobody uses their fucking mics. I just don't understand it anymore. 100 hours of BF4 and I've never heard a voice outside of GAFers. Or in any other PS4 game. Maybe the design of the mic with the uncomfortable earpiece is having a retarding effect on mic usage, but it's just as bad now as it ever was on the PS3.

Not communicating in team games makes me want to punch kittens.
That's party chat for you.

Ever since party chat exists, most people prefer being in them instead of in the in-game chat.

Party chat is the reason why so much of the teamwork is gone in games, before it existed on 360, I remember games were much more livelier.

calder

Man, I really really hate a few of these levels. EDIT: looking up the names, for whatever reason Hainan Resort is my kryptonite. Only played it a handful of times, but something about it is anathema to my style or something, I must be 3-30 lifetime on it lol. I'm also really terrible on Dawnbreaker. And Flood Zone, but mainly because I hate that map and end up dogpaddling around disinterestedly.

And I've played Paracel so many times, it seems to always be the first map I play. Sigh.

Shadybiz

Kinda weird...they have I think 12 issues that they are "investigating," which according to them means:

DICE said:
INVESTIGATING means we are aware of a specific issue and working to reproduce it. Often, getting a solid reproduction is what actually allows us to eliminate a bug in the end.

So with all the time that they are allegedly spending fixing this game, they haven't been able to come across any of these issues at ALL? Seems hard to believe.

see5harp

Ever since party chat exists, most people prefer being in them instead of in the in-game chat.

Party chat is the reason why so much of the teamwork is gone in games, before it existed on 360, I remember games were much more livelier.

In Battlefield 4, even in party chat you can hear the people in the squad chat though. If there are non party members in the squad I always make a point to get everyone to jump to game chat. I think it's just people playing BF4 like COD.

Cheech

So with all the time that they are allegedly spending fixing this game, they haven't been able to come across any of these issues at ALL? Seems hard to believe.

No, what "a solid reproduction" means is that they can reproduce the bug at will. If it just happens randomly once in a while, that kind of thing is very difficult to fix or track down.

In other words, if I'm able to discover that X player performing Y action on Z map crashes the game, they can start debugging specifically that condition where it happens, and narrow it down to the line or lines of code responsible.

If it is something that happens seemingly at random, there is almost no way to reliably debug that.

Anyone else getting massive lag today? Doesn't seem to be any difference in my internet connection, wondering if its a server-side issue

How do you win a knife duel?

Shadybiz

No, what "a solid reproduction" means is that they can reproduce the bug at will. If it just happens randomly once in a while, that kind of thing is very difficult to fix or track down.

Ah okay, thanks for explaining. The whole thing just has me riled, is all.

Chaplain

If it is something that happens seemingly at random, there is almost no way to reliably debug that.

Then a temporary solution for this should be for people getting these bugs (not crashes) to send videos of their bugs (like using the share function to share the video right after the bug has occurred) to Dice. At least this way they would see the bug and have an idea of what was happening that could lead them to finding proper steps in reproducing each bug.

The enemy has to attack from the front or sides. When they do grab you, you have a split second to hit the melee button to counter. Attacks from behind are non-counterable.

I thought only attacks from the front could be countered? Not from the sides.

I've never seen the option to counter when attacked from the flank.

Violater

The enemy has to attack from the front or sides. When they do grab you, you have a split second to hit the melee button to counter. Attacks from behind are non-counterable.

It really is a pretty neat concept on how to stop people from running through your bullets to knife you.

todahawk

Crashed 3 or 4 times last night on conquest. Switched to Oblit and had some good matches before it started crashing again. C'MON DICE!

I really wish we had friendly fire so I could kill off randoms that play sniper and don't play the objectives.

got two MVP pins last night while pretty drunk, didnt even realize it until a squadmate pointed it out.

j-wood

Even though it worked most of the times, I decided to trade it in yesterday. I will be buying it back in about a month however when the worst issues hopefully has been patched.

So...why wouldn't you just keep the game? Do you realize your effectively just giving EA more money (supporting this whole fiasco)?

BF4 = -$60
Sold BF4 = Best case scenario +$30
BF4 = -$60

So BF4 has cost you $90 dollars.

You aren't kidding. I had LIVE the first month it became available. LIVE + Mech Assault was a revelation. It was like being at the arcade again. Online gaming on consoles was ACE right up until party chat. It's been less and less enjoyable ever since. Culminating in this bullshit we have today. Either you're in a party or games are silent.

jsip

Banned

Ive never seen an option from the front, either. I do mash the button when it happens so maybe I dont see it. Ive been hit from the side before - basically if an enemy is facing you during the animation, you can. If he pulls you to turn you around, you can't.

You aren't kidding. I had LIVE the first month it became available. LIVE + Mech Assault was a revelation. It was like being at the arcade again. Online gaming on consoles was ACE right up until party chat. It's been less and less enjoyable ever since. Culminating in this bullshit we have today. Either you're in a party or games are silent.

Yeah, all through the first Xbox days the games you'd play online had a lot of chatty people. Halo 2, PGR2 etc. Even not very popular games I was playing online back then (Street Racing Syndicate) had a lot of talking.

Did 360 have party chat when it was first released? I feel like some of the earlier games I was playing on like Gears of War had a lot talking as well. I didn't notice the lack of people talking in games until about 4 years in.

Cheers.

There's no counter-counter, right? Got killed by a counter earlierm and am thus yet to get a melee kill :(

Top Bottom