• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2's single player campaign will last 5-7 hours.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
ill take it. I think all the action RPG's and open world malarkey have destroyed people's sense of logic in how single player games actually are outside of that

Harmen

Too short for me to justify a purchase, especially since online apparently is pay or grind to win, which for me as a casual online player is basically a no-go.

Fury451

Banned
I learned a long time ago to shave 1 to 2 hours off of PR estimates when it comes to these things. I'm guessing 3 to 4. That's perfectly fine, it would be nice to have a full-fledged first person Star Wars campaign, but I'm not expecting anything more either. Hopefully it's a pleasant surprise.

That said, I'm not planning on buying the game because of the beta so I guess it doesn't really matter what i think.

prag16

Banned
Guys, hardly anybody was seriously expecting more than 8 hours in any of the previous threads. What's with all the hand wringing now.

Glorified Bot match with cutscenes just like BF1 SP confirmed
No, not confirmed.

And not every campaign needs to be 12-15 hours. UC4 took me 15 and that was too much for that game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
People on GAF don't know the meaning of the word 'confirmed' confirmed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean GAFere put like 100 hours into Destiny and think they didn't get their monies worth.

Not surprised here.

pitchfork

Honestly, I cant wait. Massive Star Wars fan and have gone 'all in' on the new canon. Looking forward to seeing how this ties into the rest of the lore

The length is only important if it's good. If it's shitty no amount of hours is worth your 60 big ones. Now I'm not up to date on Dice Story Campaigns admittedly but I feel it's not top tier but hey I hope it's good for you Star Wars fans.

Jesus christ 4 hours. 4 hours. We get it guys 4 fucking hours. We don't need every second post saying 4 hours as if it's something sharp commentary.

ProtoSound

Neo Member
I'll bite at $30. I have no interest in the multiplayer stuff so half the price for half the content. Well less than half but my point stands.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The length is only important if it's good. If it's shitty no amount of hours is worth your 60 big ones. Now I'm not up to date on Dice Story Campaigns admittedly but I feel it's not top tier but hey I hope it's good for you Star Wars fans.

EVERY

SINGLE

THREAD

border

Redbox, here I come!

I might buy it if I Starfighter mode turns out to be good. That beta was not very encouraging though.

Boss X

Banned
Why?

Plenty of singleplayer games are too long for their own good. If you have a six hour campaign that has fantastic levels and a fantastic story is that really worse than a 12 hour game with okay levels and an okay story?

This obsession with length some people have is baffling. I could almost think it's compensating for something.
Bumped good post for next page.

I think it’s the perfect length, but that’s just me.

Snoopycat

Banned
TF2's MP is just straight-up brutal, no mercy for the noobs.

It can be when your playing against a proper squad. Once I found the class and mech that I liked and worked out the movement I did a lot better. I tried playing it after a few Guinesses once, that didn't work out at all.

EVERY

SINGLE

THREAD
Did I commit a faux pas? Apologies if so. Was it the hoping it's good for Star Wars fans? Anyway sorry old bean if I made a terrible error.

Edit - ah Dice aren't making it lol Okay whoever is making it I hope they make it good for you Star Wars folks okay.....good grief.

Redbox, here I come!

I might buy it if I Starfighter mode turns out to be good. That beta was not very encouraging though.

Oh man if anything, playing Starfighter Assault in the beta convinced me to buy the game for that alone.

The ground based MP was pretty fun, if a little different and wonky in areas. Im sure it will evolve a lot from launch though.

As for the SP, I'm actually really looking forward to it. I love that the story will be canon, and it looks to be covering a really interesting period within the lore. I am also pretty encouraged by the behind the scenes video they posted a while ago, since they seem to be going all out on the mocap.

FN-2187

It needs to be 10 to 15.

Are single player campaigns in MP-focused games ever this long? Nearly every Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, etc. are under 10 hours, usually in the 6-8 range.

Did people really have these expectations for this campaign or do they just love to hate on modern Battlefront that much?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are single player campaigns in MP-focused games ever this long? Nearly every Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, etc. are under 10 hours, usually in the 6-8 range.

Did people really have these expectations for this campaign or do they just love to hate on modern Battlefront that much?

I'd be genuinely surprised if there is a post MW CoD or BF game longer than 6 hours.

Did I commit a faux pas? Apologies if so. Was it the hoping it's good for Star Wars fans? Anyway sorry old bean if I made a terrible error.

Edit - ah Dice aren't making it lol Okay whoever is making it I hope they make it good for you Star Wars folks okay.....good grief.

I wouldn't take it personally. Every thread about BF2 contains posts attacking DICE campaigns, and it's been common knowledge for a very long time that DICE are not making this game. They come across as shitposting even if that was never the intention, and they almost always derail the thread.

They are like when people post 'Why does Angry Joe get his own review thread'.

Oh no...someone doesn't realize Dice isn't making the campaign. Even admitting they are not up to date on it. Whatever will you do!?

This has been addressed at least 4 times in the thread and we are only on the second page, knock it down a notch.

It's a linear action game..this length is the sweet spot if they keep their story telling tight.

TF2 proved this already.

I kinda agree with this. I feel as if all the bloated, long ass open world RPG games have inflated people's ideas of what a FPS campaign is usually like in length. Would I be down for more hours? Sure! This is star wars. Ideally the game would be phenomenal and would last forever. But I know what to expect from a AAA multiplayer shooter. And TF2 did it right with this length.

For me, this is a multiplayer first game. The campaign is just a bonus. It should be looked at as such. That doesn't excuse the campaign if it ends up sucking, because a that point why bother making it in the first place... But I mean it's Motive's first game right? Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Time is totally fine.
Hell, I'd be fine with half that if it's actually worthwhile.

The impressions I've read have been deeply underwhelming.

I hate this mindset. If you want single player games to exist you actually have to buy them at reasonable prices. Besides does no one replay games? Play it through 3 times and thats a 15-20 hour game.
Except this isn't a single player game? Sure it has a single player mode but it's very clearly first and foremost a multiplayer game, so wouldn't that send the wrong message? That you want more multiplayer games? If anything, if they see that you used EA access to only play the single player portion it might give them a hint that you want more of that stuff.

Falchion

So maybe a touch longer than BF1's campaign? That's fine, I guess I'd rather it be shorter than more drawn out and get stale.

I guess this is probably considered a hot take nowadays but good.

Coming off a year packed with incredible 10-40 hour long experiences, I welcome a tightly woven, fast paced shooter campaign that doesn’t bog itself down with superfluous side content and bloated open ended level design. Should be a fun experience.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
People have a new hope after TF2 that EA can put out a good campaign.

TF2's campaign quality was almost certainly due to Respawn's talents, nothing to do with EA. Which is not to say this one won't be good, too, but I just don't really see how the two things are related beyond sharing a publisher. EA doesn't have much say over what Respawn does on a creative level.

Boke1879

Did someone really think this was going to be like 10 hours.

5-7 hours is good and like it was said. Titanfall 2's campaign wasn't much longer. It was damn good though.

This is fine for me.

Elginer

Too short for me to justify a purchase, especially since online apparently is pay or grind to win, which for me as a casual online player is basically a no-go.

Ditto. Will just redbox. AC Origins and Wolfie will keep me plenty busy

People complaining about SP length also have to realize that as well as a huge MP element (not surprising given prior game was entirely MP) you can play Arcade Mode SP as well which looks really fun, like playing Darth Maul for example with light sabers.

As someone who never plays PVP games, and prefers a fantastic short campaign over a padded longer one, looks like good value to me at 40 UKP on PC at cdkeys. I wouldnt have paid the origin price but $40 seems justified for me

prag16

Banned
The best part is, all the people gloating about waiting for it on EA access are gonna try the multiplayer 1 year late, get slaughtered, and then claim they lost because of "P2W".

Hahah, chuckled out loud at this. This has a 100% chance of happening. And it'll be a bullshit claim when it does.

AAK

TF2's campaign quality was almost certainly due to Respawn's talents, nothing to do with EA. Which is not to say this one won't be good, too, but I just don't really see how the two things are related beyond sharing a publisher. EA doesn't have much say over what Respawn does on a creative level.

You can be insanely talented but if you aren't given the proper time and money then there's not much talent will help. EA is the one who provided that time and money.

Elandyll

Banned
I'll probably be more a 7-8h type player, as I generally take my time and explore, so it pretty much seems to match my hopes :)

Nev

Banned
And people are surprised that every AAA game needs to have some kind of forced grindy RPG-lite crafting/leveling up checklist open-world trash.

Developers and publishers got the idea: the average gamer prefers quantity over quality.

But then they also complain about that! They just can't be contented. The final step is saying "I'm tired of videogames" on GAF after playing 3 hours of 3 different games they day one'd.

ZOONAMI

How long was tf2 campaign? 10 hours? That was just about perfect for an FPS campaign imo so I wish this was a bit longer but I’m ok with it.

Top Bottom