• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome Leaked Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly felt final scene between Kara and Lee was best scene from finale

Close, but no.

battlestar-galactica-20090326021238054-000.jpg

- ‘Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome’ Not Moving Forward As TV Series On Syfy, May Become Digital Series
Deadline.com said:
It’s a case of bad news/good news for Battlestar Galactica fans who have been flocking to the Web to watch an unauthorized trailer for the long-in-the-works offshoot Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome over the past 36 hours. After lengthy deliberations, Syfy has decided not to go forward with the project, about the young years of William Adama, as a regular TV series. Blood & Chrome, initially envisioned as a Web series, was greenlighted as a two-hour TV pilot in October 2010. Because of intensive post-production, including special effects, the pilot was not delivered to Syfy until last November. As of January, Syfy president original programming Mark Stern was quoted as saying that he the network brass were “trying to figure out the economics right now” and that he hoped those would be figured out. Now, the network has passed on the project as a regular series but is looking to do it as a digital one, while airing the already produced pilot on the network as a movie. “Though the vision for “Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome” has evolved over the course of the past year, our enthusiasm for this ambitious project has not waned,” Stern said in a statement today. “We are actively pursuing it as was originally intended: a groundbreaking digital series that will launch to audiences beyond the scope of a television screen. The 90-minute pilot movie will air on Syfy in its entirety at a future date.”

Despite the lengthy production and decision-making, the buzz about Blood & Chrome never died among Battlestar fans. It went into overdrive over the past couple of days following a WonderCom panel over the weekend with Kevin Grazier, the scientific adviser for Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica series, where he screened what was described as a trailer for Blood & Chrome. That trailer, to Trent Reznor and Karen O’s cover of “Immigrant Song” for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, found its way to the Web on Monday night and has gone viral — garnering some 100,000 views in 24 hours. The problem was that this was not an official trailer but a demo reel not intended for public consumption and thus not put through the process of clearing music and other rights. It is still unclear how the video made its way to WonderCon, but NBCUniversal today moved swiftly to take down the multiple copies that had popped up on YouTube. Universal Cable Prods, which produces Blood & Chrome, may still shop the project to other networks. Michael Taylor wrote the teleplay from a story by Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson & David Weddle.

Has anyone considered that the viper in the opening and closing shot isn't real? There is some kind of VR training viper that goes wireframe and disappears a few seconds into the video...

The lazer scanning cylon, fear on peoples faces, space action and hoth like planet look awesome.. this is going to deliver, I can feel it! So glad Moore and Icke are back, Espenson's Caprica was too tangential, mopey and teen targetted to work... This looks great.

I need to see more now!

Wtf did they do to the immigrant song?
It's Trent Reznor and Karen O, and was used on the trailers for the girl with the dragon tattoo... so SyFy / Universal / the BSG crew did nothing with it.

I hope SyFy's Game Changer aspect of this is that they are distributing via their sites and services like Netflix, Lovefilm et al. It'd be great if they tried a new model subsidised by subscribers and iTunes style transactions as opposed to network advertising. Even better if they can reach international audiences day and date with the US!

Battlestar went downhill, but at least you could see where it was going from miles away in the mechanics of what happened (if not the braindead specifics of the final minutes), unlike a certain other loved Sci-Fi Epic.

Action looked okay, nothing else to judge about this. I skipped Caprica, although I know it had its following, I just didn't see the appeal.

I assume this must be an early leak, the production is pretty terrible, especially that Title Card.

edit: Well, digital only might explain the cheapness of the production, but it looked like a pretty decent budget at work for the action in the trailer.

edit 2: And leaked demo reel explains it all, really. How do they expect to monetize that, especially with a launch television pilot?

Munin

The BSG sets were all torn down before Blood & Chrome came into being, so basically, this will all be 100% Greenscreen. Enjoy!

bengraven

Jesus Christ you Debbie Downers, we don't have any decent epic sci-fi (space opera) on TV anymore. No Trek, no BSG, Firefly, Farscape, B5, Stargage....

This isn't a good thing...even a shitty space opera is better than none.

If I'm being honest, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get into another show set in the Battlestar universe. BSG had so many damn great characters and no other show set in that universe can match them.

Jesus Christ you Debbie Downers, we don't have any decent epic sci-fi (space opera) on TV anymore. No Trek, no BSG, Firefly, Farscape, B5, Stargage....

This isn't a good thing...even a shitty space opera is better than none.

I disagree with your last statement completely. With all the good dramas on television why should anyone settle for crap just because it's a space opera?

gabbo

The BSG sets were all torn down before Blood & Chrome came into being, so basically, this will all be 100% Greenscreen. Enjoy!

So will this end up like Sanctuary where it starts on the web, but ends up costing too much to stay there and ends up on tv in the end?

LOCK

I am all for this. Though I wish they would show how the Cylons come back in our not too distant future. Completing the Star Trek connection. <_<

Fjordson

Close, but no.

battlestar-galactica-20090326021238054-000.jpg
Oh god...

"You know I know about farming..."

reads cheesy, but it gets me every damn time.

Parts of the trailer look pretty cool, but it could be tough for me to get back into a show in this universe. BSG was so much about the characters, really a tall order for a new show to have ones that match up.

Fuck that music, though. Didn't like it in the Dragon Tattoo trailer either.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So will this end up like Sanctuary where it starts on the web, but ends up costing too much to stay there and ends up on tv in the end?

It's effectively done that already with the pilot being made for TV, but has already moved back to the web because it was just too stupidly expensive. An all-CGI BSG was always going to a difficult one, it needed physical sets for the realism.

After the pilot I expect the episodes will be really short, that's how they are cutting the budget and why it can't be shown on television.

UrbanRats

Different settings,but this looks miles better.The old BSG was practically movie quality for its time and this clearly looks better to me.

Terranova was very bad, so you're probably right, but these parts:
810WT.jpg

lol.jpg

Reminded me of it, for the horrible bloom, the sketchy composition and so on.
And i guess the final font sealed the deal on that "amateurish" vibe.
BjfD5.png

That said, this is leaked, so we don't know if is place holder, and need some fixing up.

Look at the ship at 8/9 seconds. I don't think that scene is meant to be 'real'... It's the only effects shot that looks that way, everything else looks great. The viper being lowered by crane looks very much real, as does a lot of the other effects..

Norml

Terranova was very bad, so you're probably right, but these parts:
810WT.jpg

lol.jpg

Reminded me of it, for the horrible bloom, the sketchy composition and so on.
And i guess the final font sealed the deal on that "amateurish" vibe.
BjfD5.png

That said, this is leaked, so we don't know if is place holder, and need some fixing up.

the blood and chrome part is all that looks real bad,but the bloom could be lowered or whatever too.

- EW.com: 'Battlestar Galactica' prequel being released online Friday
It’s a three-year wait for more Star Wars. Six months for more Star Trek. But guess what? Battlestar Galactica returns in only four days.

Universal Cable Productions’ long-awaited Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome has not only found a distribution outlet, but it’s getting a super-close premiere date. Plus, there’s a rather spectacular new trailer.

Here’s the raw essentials: BSG: B&C is a prequel movie being presented as ten, 7-12-minute episodes on young-male-targeted entertainment company Machinima’s YouTube channel, called Machinima Prime. The first episode will be released on Friday, Nov. 9, with the remaining episodes rolled out over the next four weeks. In early 2013, the two-hour version of B&C will air on Syfy, followed by the release of an unrated version on home video.
Much more via the link.

Also:

- "Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Trailer" - Series Premieres 11/9/12 (youtube)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The dude sounds like a teenager. Edward James Olmos has such a unique and deep defining voice, so it threw me off a bit.

B.K.

I wonder if it will end with a cliffhanger to lead into a series or if they rewrote and shot a new ending when Scifi passed on the series.

nomis

If this was a fanmade thing, it'd be one of the best looking fanmade movies ever. The 3D work reminded me of Half-Life 2: Escape From City 17.

I'll watch it, as I'm hungry for more BSG goodness on the screen. Sadly though that trailer left me basically with a feeling of "Meh". You can really tell these are digital sets in many shots. I like that much more menacing, monstrous Centurion they are showing. Not so much Snake Cylon though.

How did this happen? Despite the obvious flaws and spiralling silliness of the show, plus the interesting outlier Caprica, we see a bar-raising sci-fi show relegated to...a web series?

Hmm. I'll take it, but damn.

Aiii

So not worth it
Still very excited for this, if it's a success (and I'm looking to you US GAF to make the ratings of the movie on Syfy huge) lets hope for some more TV Movies/miniseries in the future.

Kammie

It's a shame they didn't go through with this as a proper show. I blame Caprica--while it had an interesting concept, all that teenager crap killed it.

Trailer looks a little cheap, but good. I'll see a few episodes to see if it suffers from the web episode format or not. If it does, I'll just give them the hit but wait until the full thing comes out.

It's a shame they didn't go through with this as a proper show. I blame Caprica--while it had an interesting concept, all that teenager crap killed it.

Trailer looks a little cheap, but good. I'll see a few episodes to see if it suffers from the web episode format or not. If it does, I'll just give them the hit but wait until the full thing comes out.

Teenager crap was hardly what the show was about, the actual series was mostly focused on douchery involving the various groups/families.

How did this happen? Despite the obvious flaws and spiralling silliness of the show, plus the interesting outlier Caprica, we see a bar-raising sci-fi show relegated to...a web series?

Hmm. I'll take it, but damn.

Downward trend series took followed by the failure of Caprica.... they didn't have confidence in this and apparently didn't bother with much of a budget either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom