• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
You mean where one of them says "take care of your captain (the old man)" and the other says "you take care of yours too (his son)"? Not very conclusive.

Waku

Dee says "Take care of the Admiral" to which Helo says "Take care of his Son" meaning Adama's Son i.e. Apollo.... so.... i don't see anything between them.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
He says, "Take care of our son." Not to mention the "Will you quit looking at me like that?... You know like what... Like we're never going to see each other again?"

Reese-015

Eggo said:
He says, "Take care of our son." Not to mention the "Will you quit looking at me like that?... You know like what... Like we're never going to see each other again?"

Damn, you might actually be on to something. That shit was subtle.

JayDubya

Banned
Defcon said:
Dee got what was coming to her. Karma is a bitch.

Yeah, it's totally the character of Dee's fault that the actor playing Billy wanted off the show. :lol

Kind of awkward when you juxtapose reality into the mix. They made Lee into Dualla's love interest because without Billy, Dualla really didn't have much of a story or a purpose.

And jeez! folks. "Take care of the admiral." "Take care of his son." Tamoh Penikett may not have the best diction, but overanalysis of the sound clip makes it clear he's saying "his."

Matt

JayDubya said:
And jeez! folks. "Take care of the admiral." "Take care of his son." Tamoh Penikett may not have the best diction, but overanalysis of the sound clip makes it clear he's saying "his."
I don't know, I clearly hear "our."

Zen

Banned
JayDubya said:
Yeah, it's totally the character of Dee's fault that the actor playing Billy wanted off the show. :lol

Kind of awkward when you juxtapose reality into the mix. They made Lee into Dualla's love interest because without Billy, Dualla really didn't have much of a story or a purpose.

The actor who plays Billy deciding to leave the show can't be used to excuse the actions of the character Dualla. You can't just juxtapose reality into the mix of a characters action in the fiction. The character of billy dying happened because the actor wanted to do other things, but that's as far as it goes. It's not like Billy died and then Dee started to develop a relationship with Apollo.

She didn't 'call out' Apollo for his manerisms during their sparing in the gym; she blatantly called him out flirtatiously, daringly.

B.K.

I didn't really like tonight's episode very much. To me, it was the first really bad episode of the season.

B.K. said:
I didn't really like tonight's episode very much. To me, it was the first really bad episode of the season.
I have to agree for once. It wasn't bad by any stretch but it wasn't good either. Strictly average. Next week's episode looks awesome though.

Mashing

Well, it was based around a character that no one gives two shits about (and now it dead, who cares). There was no follow up with Lee and Starbuck (what is her first name, Kara or soemthing like that?) and that shit with Baltar on the basestar was ****ing obtuse and confusing as all. Thankfully that should be cleared up soon.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Uhh, if the rest of you didn't see the foreshadowing of the shit hitting the fan when the Cylons show up at their fungus planet or whatever, I guess you weren't paying much attention. Basically it was a set up for the next episode, with Kat dying in the meantime. I thought it was well done

JayDubya

Banned
It was a fairly meh episode of Galactica, which still made it better / more enjoyable than everything else on TV right now.

trilobyte

Dee says, 'Take care of our admiral.' and Helo responds, 'Take care of our son.'

He's not referring to her and him but to the fleet as a whole

JayDubya

Banned
trilobyte said:
Dee says, 'Take care of our admiral.' and Helo responds, 'Take care of our son.'

Don't start this again. >_<

I listened to this for the 20th time with my eyes closed.

Care-of is blending into an R sound that people are hearing over other words. I can hear it too, and then the "his" is turning into a ssss which is just blurred with son.

Dualla (Kandyse McClure): Take care of the admiral.
Helo (Tamoh Penikutt): Take care of R sssson.

Her diction is better than his, to be sure. Helo's words slur together, and he says his line fairly quickly. If you must, just go back and really listen hard for the H sound in the middle of that stronger R sound. Without the H sound all you can hear is the R sound left over from care of, and "take care of son" doesn't make much sense, so with a ingering r sound, you swap in the word "our."

JayDubya said:
Dualla (Kandyse McClure): Take care of the admiral.
Helo (Tamoh Penikutt): Take care of R sssson.
Oh shit. The subtle hidden message isn't that they've been having an affair, but setting fire to things across the fleet!

There is no affair between Helo and Dee. Let's just put that out of our minds right now. Not happening.

As for this weeks episode, I just finished watching it, and I thought it was well done. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The jumping through the star field was intense and the interplay between the characters was well done. Kat may have been a small part on the show, but I still liked her as a character. Not the best episode of the year, but still very very good.

Next week looks like it'll be great. But then, no BSG for awhile.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is no affair between Helo and Dee. Let's just put that out of our minds right now. Not happening.

As for this weeks episode, I just finished watching it, and I thought it was well done. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The jumping through the star field was intense and the interplay between the characters was well done. Kat may have been a small part on the show, but I still liked her as a character. Not the best episode of the year, but still very very good.

Next week looks like it'll be great. But then, no BSG for awhile.
At least it'll only be a month this time compared to the agonizing three month wait last season. Who the hell thought these midseason breaks were a good idea anyway?

Lhadatt

trilobyte said:

Dude. Helo says "his," not "our." I caught that on the first airing. There is no Dee-Helo fling. If there was, why would she be so visibly affected after the Apollo-Starbuck boxing match? Get you some better speakers.

And last night's episode was decent, pretty much on par with any other scifi series' normal episodes. Some of you need to put BSG's quality in perspective. I never cared for Kat, and her ZOMGSUDDEN back story didn't cajole any sympathy for her out of me. Thanks for killing off a couple thousand humans, Kat! Radiation poisoning sucks, doesn't it? Ciao, angst-girly.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i didn't quite get yesterday's episode.

why were they jumping through star fields? what were they looking for?

when they jumped through star fields why did they lose ships?

who was the drug runner guy that Helo was involved with?

keep in mind i didn't watch season 1 or half of 2.

Coop

davepoobond said:
i didn't quite get yesterday's episode.

why were they jumping through star fields? what were they looking for?

when they jumped through star fields why did they lose ships?

who was the drug runner guy that Helo was involved with?

keep in mind i didn't watch season 1 or half of 2.

Going from memory so i could be wrong about 1 and 2

1. The food had gotten contaminated, so they needed to find a source of food. They found a planet with algae, it was determine that it had a lot of protein and would be suitable. in order to get to the planet they needed to make two jumps.. the first jump was into the star field.

2.the radiation in the starfield made the civilians ships unable to use their navigation becuase they didnt have the proper shielding. the raptors did have proper shielding..

3. Helo wasnt involved with a drug runner from what I recall. kat was, they worked together and were lovers(?)

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
Why must Season 3 of Galactica continue to be slow paced? The first four episodes of this season were all kinds of awesome and now we're having episodes than aren't as strong as the better ones from seasons 1 and 2. With a few exceptions, the only really interesting thing that is going on is the portion of the story focusing on the Cylons and Baltar at the moment. I'd like to think that next week's episode "The Eye Of Jupiter" will change things and pick up the pacing.

davepoobond

Coop said:
Going from memory so i could be wrong about 1 and 2

1. The food had gotten contaminated, so they needed to find a source of food. They found a planet with algae, it was determine that it had a lot of protein and would be suitable. in order to get to the planet they needed to make two jumps.. the first jump was into the star field.

2.the radiation in the starfield made the civilians ships unable to use their navigation becuase they didnt have the proper shielding. the raptors did have proper shielding..

3. Helo wasnt involved with a drug runner from what I recall. kat was, they worked together and were lovers(?)

hmm...i didn't get that at all from 1. i recorded this on a VCR, so i dont know how i could have possibly missed that explanattion.

sorry, i meant Kat...for some reason i was thinking her name was Helo. for some reason its hard to remember a lot of the character names.

Boogie

Okay, maybe I just shouldn't watched BSG with a buzz, but damn I didn't understand a lot of that episode (ie. every damn thing on the basestar)

Systems_id said:
I have to agree for once. It wasn't bad by any stretch but it wasn't good either. Strictly average. Next week's episode looks awesome though.

wait, we still have one episode until mid-season break? JOY

LevelNth

Banned
I actually quite enjoyed this episode, for a host of reasons. One, some of the effects were pretty sweet, and I love Zoic's work. Two, I really enjoy the realistic slant RDM has taken with this series, and I like how they don't forget the details, and they depict proper struggles and hardships even for the most basic stuff (food). I also liked the focus on the pilots, reminded me of Season One.

Kat's death
was well done, though I can't say I'm sorry to
see her go.
I was never the biggest fan of that character; little too thin. I absolutely loved the scene with Tigh and Adama laughing, and the D'Anna/Baltar scenes were all really good as well. The only small quibble I have is Baltar's comments about possibly being one of the five, and that if he is he'll stop being a traitor for one side and be a hero for the other. Seemed too... quick for my liking. Baltar is better when he's more conflicted (which he looks in next week's episode, so I'm happy).

Speaking of which, next week's episode looks awesome. It definitely feels like a 'back into the swing of things' episode. I can't wait, and I just know the cliffhanger is going to be brutal.

Coop said:
Episode was okay, the
death of kat was the highlight

I saw this on another forum and it's from the sketches D'anna drew

http://mattpeckham.com/temp/baltar_cylon.jpg

Is baltar one of the final 5?

I thought they've been pointing that way all season, with it being revealed that Cylons "project" just like he's been doing since seaons one.

But also, it looks like he should've died in the nuclear explosion on Caprica, no? I'm assuming he did and was got reborn.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wow really surprised they killed Kat off.... good ep. We are who we are today, what we do today, not who we've been in the past.... don't I know it....

DarienA said:
Wow really surprised they killed Kat off.... good ep.

You know, I think they are keeping the show fresh by killing certain people/elements off. Like, they alternate. At first, it's just the Galactica. Then the Pegasus comes in with the bitch admiral. Then she dies. Then the Pegasus is gone. They seem to have an interesting flush cycle of sorts...

megateto

I couldn't get very well the dialogue between
Baltar and the precog and the following conversation
. Can anybody give a recap on it, please?:)

megateto said:
I couldn't get very well the dialogue between
Baltar and the precog and the following conversation
. Can anybody give a recap on it, please?:)

I'm not going to use spoilers since the show aired two days ago. Sue me.

The precog said something about the husband of the cow's eye. "Cow-eyed" used to imply wealth (i.e., cattle). Baltar put together that the eye of the cow was Hera, and Hera's husband obviously, is Zeus. Interestingly, I happened to be watching the show with subtitles which read "Eye of Zeus", even though they said "Eye of Jupiter" on-screen. Must have been changed during shooting.

She also said something about a hand, which Baltar interpreted as five fingers on a hand = five unknown cylons left, and left him to again question if he is one of them.

JayDubya

Banned
davepoobond said:
greek=roman!!!!??!?

From memory, spelling might be wrong...

Jupiter / Zeus
Juno / Hera
Mercury / Hermes
Venus / Aphrodite
Mars / Ares
Neptune / Poseidon
Pluto / Hades
Minerva / Athena
Vulcan / Hephaestus (forgot an a)

Zeus's father, the titan Chronus, was Saturn. Apollo is Apollo in both Greek and Roman mythology. I can't remember Artemis's roman name.

What I'm saying is why did they change convention for Zeus => Jupiter?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman/Greek_equivalency_in_mythology
Diana / Artemis
Ceres / Demeter
Bacchus / Dionysus

And so on...

davepoobond

Kung Fu Jedi said:
No. Not really.

bleh

what i meant, was that Battlestar Galactica mythos is now saying that greek=roman...because they have mentioned Zeus as well, like boogie said.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
While I enjoyed the latest episode, I can't say it was really consistent with the rest of the season's quality. Something about the acting in general this go around kind of irked me and the writing in general was just trying way too hard to put Kat in the position of some great noble martyr. BSG's best when it's vague about what you should think or feel towards the end of an episode and, besides, we already had an awesome sacrifice in the form of Pegasus going down in a blaze of glory. I can't say I'll miss Kat - Starbuck's attitude enough among the Viper pilots, but the episode itself wasn't bad, just somewhat mediocre. Still, I'll take mediocre BSG over most shows anyday.

fart

Savant
BSG's best when it's vague about what you should think or feel towards the end of an episode
while i actually really liked this episode while watching it, i completely agree with this. in retrospect this episode wasn't even as good as the last episode, much less the earliest episodes of the season.

fart said:
while i actually really liked this episode while watching it, i completely agree with this. in retrospect this episode wasn't even as good as the last episode, much less the earliest episodes of the season.

I'd agree with that as well. I did enjoy the episode while watching it, but upon reflection, it wasn't as strong, nor did it hold up under the scrutiny that earlier episodes of the season did. Still good, just not great.

And yeah, BSG does a better job when it shows the world in shades of gray rather than clear cut black and whites.

aku:jiki

Boogie said:
I think the mystic on New Caprica also made mention of Zeus.
She did. It's in that YT clip on the last page, with the whole Helo/Dee debate.

As for this episode, I liked the radiation parts (some beautiful shots there) and nothing else. I can't believe they had two slow-claps in one episode, and I don't understand how I'm the only one to notice. That was some cheesy shit.

aku:jiki said:
I can't believe they had two slow-claps in one episode, and I don't understand how I'm the only one to notice. That was some cheesy shit.

Haha, now that you mention it, they really do need to stop it with the slow-claps. There's been WAY too many in the show.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
tedtropy said:
While I enjoyed the latest episode, I can't say it was really consistent with the rest of the season's quality. Something about the acting in general this go around kind of irked me and the writing in general was just trying way too hard to put Kat in the position of some great noble martyr. BSG's best when it's vague about what you should think or feel towards the end of an episode and, besides, we already had an awesome sacrifice in the form of Pegasus going down in a blaze of glory. I can't say I'll miss Kat - Starbuck's attitude enough among the Viper pilots, but the episode itself wasn't bad, just somewhat mediocre. Still, I'll take mediocre BSG over most shows anyday.

See that's where I disagree... Kat at least gave Starbuck something to compete against.

Right now it's just a standard pecking order and nobody is challenging anybody.. not only that but I'd be hardpressed to even NAME another Viper pilot besides Kat.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
DarienA said:
See that's where I disagree... Kat at least gave Starbuck something to compete against.

Right now it's just a standard pecking order and nobody is challenging anybody.. not only that but I'd be hardpressed to even NAME another Viper pilot besides Kat.

Eh, Starbuck's got Apollo when we need some head-butting. As for other Viper pilots, come on, how could you forget Hotdog, the lovable ****-up? :D

Boogie

DarienA said:

how the frak can you forget HOTDOG?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom