• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why the cylons wanted to wipe out the colonials is that they thought that if the colonials had the chance they would wipe out the cylons. By not using the virus they proved the cylons wrong (atleast Helo did). In the best situation this wil make a lot of cylons rethink their position towards humanity. And basicly end the conflict once and for all because the base on wich it was build upon is now nullified (in the best case scenario).

Piscopink said:
I hope they return to the Lion's Head nebula and harvest all of the abandoned Cylon raiders. That could really help the fleet! They even know how to fly the raiders now (because of Starbuck's persistence!) And the warp range!

They can't. The raiders *are* cylons. And because of the sickness...they're dead. Hence the floating dead in space bit.

Piscopink

Crazymoogle said:
They can't. The raiders *are* cylons. And because of the sickness...they're dead. Hence the floating dead in space bit.

Yeah, but I thought they "worked around" the organic parts when they got Starbuck's raider going. They will be able salvage the metal at least.

Coop

I remember watching a deleted scene from season 1 with the cylon raider. Starbuck is poking around in it and all of a sudden the raider shits. :lol

Piscopink said:
Yeah, but I thought they "worked around" the organic parts when they got Starbuck's raider going. They will be able salvage the metal at least.

As far as I remember the workaround was basically starbuck pulling on its innards. I think without a circulatory system it's probably screwed. Maybe I'm mixing it up though.

Boogie said:
I love the fact that everybody's debating the moralitybehind the episode. That's great. :lol :D

I agree. While I may have found that episode a little lacking, how many shows on television actually spark these sort of debates.

just watched the latest ep and i dunno if i should say ****ING HELO^!% for completely dicking humanty, or thanking helo for the series ... you know, actually continuing ... i was hoping they DID get to infect the cylons and then baltar had to help engineer a cure ...

quest

Not Banned from OT
The Faceless Master said:
just watched the latest ep and i dunno if i should say ****ING HELO^!% for completely dicking humanty, or thanking helo for the series ... you know, actually continuing ... i was hoping they DID get to infect the cylons and then baltar had to help engineer a cure ...

Or better yet have to get help from the 5 models we have not seen yet. There is clearly some sort of split between the 7 models we have seen and the 5 we have not. I still hope they find some way to show us the cyclon home world.

JayDubya

Banned
Zen said:
There are a few people on the Sci Fi boards runing around infering that anyone who supported the use of the virus is equal to that of hitler. :lol

Ooh, I'm registered there I think, time to go get called a nazi!

I hope they can still retain a viable sample of the virus and have the requisite equipment on one of the vessels in the fleet to replicate it so it may still be weaponized somehow. Hell, even the vaunted, moral Starfleet used something like this against the Borg.

I'm sure Baltar's massive lab from the first season has basic stuff like a PCR machine. But I'm also afraid this show writing's going down the tubes and this was a standalone episode entirely.

Coop

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
Starbuck and Helo are fighting for some reason, lol. They have a boxing match.

Actually it's
Apollo and Starbuck. It's also a flashback episode showing why they hate each other

JayDubya

Banned
Coop said:
Actually it's
Apollo and Starbuck. It's also a flashback episode showing why they hate each other

Do we really need an explanation?

He clearly liked her, but she wanted to use him for sex in lieu of Anders, then she treated him like shit. She hurt him so he lashed back at her professionally (I.e. you're such a frakkin mess why do you keep causing me trouble and being insubordinate), and continues to do so, which hurts her. Apollo is a boy scout figure, Starbuck is a scoundrel and a rebel. It's like Cyclops and Wolverine, only they clearly were friends that mutually started liking each other and that attraction / friendship has now soured into pure bitterness.

That's really all the explanation we need, readily available from last season.

I'm sure we've missed some important arguments with all the time jumpy jumpy, but whatever it is, that's the gist.

maharg

idspispopd
JayDubya said:
Do we really need an explanation?

He clearly liked her, but she wanted to use him for sex in lieu of Anders, then she treated him like shit. She hurt him so he lashed back at her professionally (I.e. you're such a frakkin mess why do you keep causing me trouble and being insubordinate), and continues to do so, which hurts her. Apollo is a boy scout figure, Starbuck is a scoundrel and a rebel. It's like Cyclops and Wolverine, only they clearly were friends that mutually started liking each other and that attraction / friendship has now soured into pure bitterness.

That's really all the explanation we need, readily available from last season.

I'm sure we've missed some important arguments with all the time jumpy jumpy, but whatever it is, that's the gist.

I tried to say the same thing at the end of last season, but apparently that's just not dramatic enough for some people.

Unfortunately two meh episodes in a row. Unlike the last one which I thought was just a dissapointment, this one was a mess.

I hope next week reverses the trend.

Donono

ManaByte said:
Baltar is the pimp.

Xena and Number Six.
Oh, that chick played Xena?

I was wondering where Lucy Lawless was... here I thought she was going to fly in at some point and kill a bunch of people with a spear and claim to be one of the gods they all talk about all the time. Her hair not being black... threw me off.

Beavertown said:
Pretty shitty episode all around. And next week doesn't look any better.

WTF?!?!?

That episode rocked. I loved the scenes with Tighe and Adama. And The stuff about Adama's past was really interesting.

JayDubya

Banned
I really liked the episode too. A show like this has to have a lot of character work to let its huge cast of decent - awesome actors shine... plus, they already blew their special effects budget in the season openers, so we're due a few episodes like this, and next week's boxing episode :lol

I'll weigh in with my support for this episode too. It was more character driven but we can't have awesome rescues every week. We learned more about Adama and Tigh. Plus, we're starting to see Tigh pull himself out of his funk. We need him back as the XO! So much better than Helo in that role, and he was badass again this week.

This is not up there with the best episodes of the season so far, but still a very good episode.

Beavertown

Garbage
darkiguana said:
WTF?!?!?

That episode rocked. I loved the scenes with Tighe and Adama. And The stuff about Adama's past was really interesting.

The scenes with Tigh were alright, but I didn't like Bulldog, and I couldn't stand Adama being reduced to a crybaby .. "ohh.. I started the war.. I'm gonna resign.. boo ****ing hoo" That doesn't fit with his character in my opinion. And the Cylon scenes were ****ing lame.. except for pimp Baltar.

Beavertown said:
The scenes with Tigh were alright, but I didn't like Bulldog, and I couldn't stand Adama being reduced to a crybaby .. "ohh.. I started the war.. I'm gonna resign.. boo ****ing hoo" That doesn't fit with his character in my opinion. And the Cylon scenes were ****ing lame.. except for pimp Baltar.

For the most part I agree. I liked Bulldog but the whole plot line seem bolted on just to bring Adama down a peg. That whole backstory plotline was a gimmick to create this situation. It's always way more interesting to have a character screw up now then have him do it in past where the whole thing can be white-washed because it was a long time ago and the person has now changed. I agree it didn't seem in line with Adama also especially when he went to resign.

Oh well....Last year had its mid-season slump also. I sorta wish BSG was only like a 12 or 13 episode season versus 22 so they wouldn't have to do these sort of one off "character" epsiodes. That stuff works much better when they develop character through the main storyline or a storyline arc.

BenT

I thought the Lucy Lawless
suicide / vision
stuff was pretty interesting. Confusing though. I didn't think the timeline of events was clear. Like, maybe it was
wake up with Baltar, suicide via centurion, have wacky visions, wake up in the tank? Or maybe all the suicide/vision stuff happened before she woke up with Baltar in the beginning of the ep.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Overall, I support the episode but found the best parts for me were actually the reveal about Adama's mission with the Valkyrie and yes, "emo Adama" breaking down over humanity having been "proven" to be bad. Because really, it was a harsh but well-timed punch to the gut in the show's long-running debate over just how good or bad mankind actually is.

I liked Bulldog for the actor and how he handled the role, but he did basically end up being a shallow, throw-away character. Which iroically is what he was in story context - a throw-away man, both for the Colonials and the Cylons.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Beavertown said:

For the most part I agree. Bulldog was OK, but his character was pretty throw-away. Emo-Adama has got to go. It's very uncharacteristic for him to cry to the President, and then so easily accept her talking him out of something as drastic as a resignation. WTF were they thinking? Pimp Baltar and Tigh coming around were highlights for the episode, but still... it was pretty meh overall. Ever since Exodus pt2, season 3 has been slumping. I can understand not having budget to make cool shit blow up, but at least have the character development episodes... I dunno, develop some character? Now we get Boxingstar Galactica in 2 weeks. :(

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sweet! Missing it cuz of Friday night plans was lame.

Edit: just read the article. ****, the time change is 2 months away. :(

Donono

Because, they thought maybe everyone would be getting drunk after the holiday... but, knowing BSG's fan base... I think they've severely miscalculated.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
tegdf said:
why wasn't BSG on tonight?

They said last week in the 'next week teaser'... "on an all new BSG, in 2 weeks"... and it looks like a silly
boxing
episode.

Mashing

The episode is actually much more than that. I saw a different preview and it said that this episode will finally explain what happened between Starbuck and Apollo and why they have so much hate for each other at the moment.
The boxing will probably just be a backdrop to the flashback most likely.

Donono

Mashing said:
The episode is actually much more than that. I saw a different preview and it said that this episode will finally explain what happened between Starbuck and Apollo and why they have so much hate for each other at the moment.
The boxing will probably just be a backdrop to the flashback most likely.

That episodes going to suck.

JayDubya

Banned
maharg and I already hit the nail on the head folks. It's just a possible love interest situation that went terribly wrong.

I'm actually pretty excited about the boxing episode, to be honest. It was a great scene at the end of season 1 when Bill and Lee Adama duked it out in a sparring match.

Speaking of which, that whole scene was juxtaposed with Lee getting his face smashed in at the same time Kara was frakking Baltar, then called out "Lee." Which further proves the point, I believe. There is rarely a greater hate than love gone sour.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for this sort of soap opery stuff in my sci-fi / fantasy.

Zen

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Really? I think it's been getting better. I mean, season 2 had some weak episodes (Black Market, Sacrifice, etc.) but it also had some of the best episodes of the entire series(Downloaded especially!). Even season 1, short as it was, had a crap episode (Litmus).

And season 3, for the most part, has been rocking. I dunno, I really liked this episode. It was more of a 'one character' episode, but of all of those we've had so far this one certainly worked the best. It added something to Adama's character. I'm a little leery of next week's episode (boxing? lolz) but so far, so good.

My frustrations were more so the New Caprica stuff, not because I didn't like the time jump but there were a lot of editing mistakes and little jumps in things that I just didn't buy 100 percent. But viewing it as a whole I liked it and for me episode 8 was really the hook that got me back into BSG fanboy status. After Episode 8 I'm back from just being entertained by season 3 to actually being able to say I'm enjoying season 3 on a more real level then just regular television entertainment.

I love how they're using Baltar this season he was pretty much forgotten in most of Season 2, and I find the cylons work a lot better when there's a mysterious element to them, not how they were displayed durring new caprica.

Coop

Apparently EW gave tonights episode an A.

While working on the algae planet, Tyrol (Aaron Douglas) discovers the Temple of Five, reputed to be the home of the Eye of Jupiter, which will guide the ones who discover it to Earth. His report is intercepted by the Cylons, who request a meeting with Adama (Edward James Olmos) and Laura (Mary McDonnell). Their proposal: let us have the Eye and we will let you leave unharmed. Adama's counter-proposal: make any move to take the Eye and we'll nuke the planet.

The Cylons bring another piece of news: Sharon (Grace Park) and Helo's (Tahmoh Penikett) baby is alive, but not well. Sharon is initially skeptical, but when Adama confirms that Laura hid the baby at her school, she and Tyrol being to make plans to rescue her.

As the standoff continues, tensions rise in both camps. On the Cylon baseship, D'Anna's (Lucy Lawless) sense that she and Baltar (James Callis) share a destiny that might not include the others sows dissension, while on the algae planet, efforts to protect the Eye are complicated by Lee's simmering affair with Kara (Katee Sackhoff), especially since Lee (Jamie Bamber) is counting on Anders (Michael Trucco), Kara's husband, to rally the civilians to the cause. Then the Cylons launch a flight of raiders, bound for the algae planet, forcing Adama to show he's not bluffing.

Should be a good finale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom