• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
Frog said:
I just can't see them killing off Roslin or Zarek yet.

We know Roslin's not dead from the previews, i.e. "This season on BSG..." Furthermore, IMDB has Mary McDonnell on the next four episodes (and IMDB doesn't have a listing for any actor past four episodes from now, and only the main characters are even listed that far in advance anyway).

Next week's episode is called Exodus: Part 1. We can't tell anything from IMDB yet because while Zarek is on next week's episode, neither Cally nor Tyrol are even listed yet. We can't really draw any conclusions with the data so far other than that Roslin is certainly not dead.

Triumph

Banned
Frakkin' nuts, that episode was!

My vote is for the human police growing some cojones and firing on the Centurions as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
whatever the outcome of "getting off the planet" one thing is for certain.

Baltar's not going to be able to go with them. No one else trusts him. Though he actually was "slightly" sympathetic in the "sign this" scene.

I worry about Gatta though. Was a hidden source of info from within the beast, but still could be viewed in the end as a collaborator. Possible candidate for someone "that doesn't make it."

Didn't like Starbucks storyline. It seems so "off." The Cylon just wants her as his wife, through numerous kills. It's just...wierd. Out comes the daughter, which I think everyone had a feeling would happen ever since the Farm episodes.

Show needs more 1 Eye Tigh, Miami Vice Adama, and Fat Albert.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Damn, I really wish that they would show them all in a nice marathon of episodes.

Waiting sucks. :(

Just finished watching the repeat episode...omfg. Best show on television. Holy **** @ the cliffhanger - one eye Tigh is the ****ing man.

The beginning of the episode kinda reminded me of the Lost season premiere, in that there's someone showed imprisoned, and then Starbuck is sitting down to dinner with a Cylon, much like Kate sitting down for a nice meal with one of the Others. But fortunately, BSG >>> Lost and a ton of shit happened in this episode. Fat Commander Lee was hilarious, too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
mre said:
Damn, I really wish that they would show them all in a nice marathon of episodes.

Waiting sucks. :(

Welcome to Television worth watching.

Maybe it's just me, but it's almost a golden age. Things actually worth watching now are showing up (24, The Shield, Lost, Rescue Me, BSG). But with the return of Serial Episodes...patience has to be learned, as the waiting sucks...

Joe Molotov

I didn't know tonight's episode was going to be 2 hours long, so it was like getting a free bonus hour of BSG. And I liked it!

antipode

Frog said:
I loved Zarek and Roslin's exchange at the end:

"Laura, did you try to steal the election a year ago?"
"Yes I did, Tom"
"I wish you went through with it."
"So do I."

:lol Best exchange of the episodes. I also loved Gaius's expression at the beginning when the Cylons decided they can't execute him... because the humans would love it.

The first episode was kinda meh but that second episode rocked. The show is so dark and twisted at this point it's delicious. Tigh easily went from a character I like to my favorite bad-ass on the show at this point.

My only complaint is that they gave away way too much info the preview trailer for the nest episode. Jesus I never watch one of those things and the one time I do, it looks like they give away the plot for the freaking season. Grrr......

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Stoney Mason said:
The first episode was kinda meh but that second episode rocked. The show is so dark and twisted at this point it's delicious. Tigh easily went from a character I like to my favorite bad-ass on the show at this point.

My only complaint is that they gave away way too much info the preview trailer for the nest episode. Jesus I never watch one of those things and the one time I do, it looks like they give away the plot for the freaking season. Grrr......

1. There was only one, two hour, episode. Thus there were no credits at the end of the first hour.

2. That was a trailer for season three, not the next episode.

ManaByte said:
1. There was only one, two hour, episode. Thus there were no credits at the end of the first hour.

2. That was a trailer for season three, not the next episode.

1.) Anal
2.) Anal again. Okay I made a mistake and watched the "trailer" for season three then. If it was labeled as such then my mistake.

So are they going to split up the Fleet, in case the New Caprica rescue fails? From the conversation between Apollo and Adama in the second episode, it looks like yes. Does anybody know if Bamber (Apollo) is leaving the show?

Dazzla said:
I'm only halfway through season 1, should I skip the rest and jump to season 3 or persevere?

Keep on going or you will will more than likely have no idea what's going on. Those "Previously on Galactica..." segments show only so much.

Edit: But be sure to watch on Sci-Fi, the show could always use the support.

JayDubya

Banned
Pudding Tame said:
So are they going to split up the Fleet, in case the New Caprica rescue fails? From the conversation between Apollo and Adama in the second episode, it looks like yes. Does anybody know if Bamber (Apollo) is leaving the show?

He's not.

Not only was he on the "This season on BSG..." but he's on IMDB for the next 4 episodes, as many as anyone else. Not only that, he has no other projects lined up, and no one would go through the indignity of wearing that fat suit if they were simply leaving. :lol

ManaByte said:

They were two episodes that ran back to back. "Occupation" and "Precipice".

There were no previews or credits after the first episode because they were run back to back.

JayDubya said:
He's not.

Not only was he on the "This season on BSG..." but he's on IMDB for the next 4 episodes, as many as anyone else. Not only that, he has no other projects lined up, and no one would go through the indignity of wearing that fat suit if they were simply leaving. :lol

Thanks.

Also, does it look like Starbuck is back on Old Caprica?

I actually feel sorry for Baltar personally. I mean, when the Cylons showed up, what was he supposed to do? Surrendering was the only option he had and working with the Cylons ensured that the humans would live to fight another day until the fleet came back for them. He was in a no-win situation.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Systems_id said:
I actually feel sorry for Baltar personally. I mean, when the Cylons showed up, what was he supposed to do? Surrendering was the only option he had and working with the Cylons ensured that the humans would live to fight another day until the fleet came back for them. He was in a no-win situation.

You can almost feel sorry for him, but he did cause the whole thing at about every level.

Tokubetsu

Archaix said:
You can almost feel sorry for him, but he did cause the whole thing at about every level.

Pretty much. Another thing I hate is how he never has the cojones to stand up for anything..ever unless it benefits himself.

nataku

Pudding Tame said:
Thanks.

Also, does it look like Starbuck is back on Old Caprica?

She's not. If you remember, the Cylon holding her looked out the window when the bomb went off early in the episode and could see the smoke. And when she got out of the room when he left the door open, it looked like a regular jail. I'm guessing she's in some specially designed detention room on New Caprica.

Was Lee wearing fat suit? It looked pretty realistic when he was in the towel (though I suppose they're pretty good these days) but his face looked realistically chubby and not overdone like you'd imagine makeup to be.

LevelNth

Banned
Way late to the thread, but for us poor Canadians the show just finished airing on Space. And it handily retains it's title as best show currently on TV. This opener was absolutely fantastic.

The risks this show takes, and the completely uncompromising writing and direction needs more recognition in Hollywood right now; it's putting every major network show to shame. The
suicide bombings
thread was brilliantly executed, as it forces the viewer to view it from our side, not the "enemies" side (in direct contrast to current world events). I'm incredibly impressed with how well the occupation is being handled, and how it hasn't deviated from what makes BSG the great show that it is.

I can't wait for next week.

Frog

mamacint said:
Was Lee wearing fat suit? It looked pretty realistic when he was in the towel (though I suppose they're pretty good these days) but his face looked realistically chubby and not overdone like you'd imagine makeup to be.

He was wearing prosthetics on his face and he had a fat suit when in-uniform. The towel scene was a stunt double.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i totally wasn't expecting the tie in with the Iraq war and suicide bombing stuff etc, but the show was amazing.

TheDuce22

Banned
I totally forgot about this yesterday but just watched it. What an amazing opener. The best part for me has always been how grounded in reality this show is despite being science fiction. Ive always said the first 2 seasons more accuratly portray what its like to be in airforce or navy and war than any other movie or tv show ive ever seen.

Frog said:
He was wearing prosthetics on his face and he had a fat suit when in-uniform. The towel scene was a stunt double.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=videoBlog&vid=26263

I thought he might've done a Raging Bull for the series, wasn't sure. Pretty subtle prosthetics as he's not especially obese, just a bit overweight especially compared to his previous self.

Would never have guessed that he had such a thick English accent in real life either.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Also wanted to chime in and say that the season 3 premiere was awesome, though I also believe that Roslin and the rest get out of it
by either the marines finding them and it's their gunshots we here or instead of the marines its the NCP turning on the Cylons at the last minute.

I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but did anyone see this little music vid A New Crew In Town in the Scifi.com BSG section?

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&vid=35344

Sorry Dirk Benedict
don't want you to lose face
But I'd rather share my space
with Kara Thrace

You're a frakkin awesome machine!
So much better than the one with Lorne Green!

:lol :lol :lol

JayDubya

Banned
So how soon until I don't have to worry about spoiling anything for anyone?

I'm still kind of worried Cally might be dead. I really like all the bit characters on this show but they seem to be the ones Moore and Eick are most willing to sacrifice to stay "edgy." It's not like Cally is an essential character but

Now, no tags here, but let me just say that the following link (http://pics.livejournal.com/drewcypher/gallery/0006p0pp) does not contain spoilers, just images from Occupation / Precipice. On that page, however, you can go on to the next three episodes already (and those pictures are obviously spoilers, the episodes are named
Exodus Part I, & Exodus Part II, and Collaborators.

The images would seem to indicate that
Zarek isn't dead, and we already logically knew Roslin wasn't either. But I'm still kind of worried Cally might be dead
because of this screencap here).

Edit:
Nevermind, Cally was in the preview for next week for all of a second, standing next to Tyrol. Looks like all three detainees that were to be executed live, i.e. the NCP must have shot down the Centurions rather than the Centurions executing all the detainees and / or firing at the running detainee. One wonders how they could do that without incendiary rounds, given the whole premise of episode 2.02.

I watched the episode this morning. I Tivo it on Friday Nights and watch it sometime over the weekend. This was a great way to start off the new season. Can't wait to see what happens next. And the cliffhanger was great.

I don't think the NCP will turn on the cylons just yet. It would be too quick, and although they are seen as traitors, it doesn't seem to have effected MOST of them yet.

The "This Season on BSG" trailer was good, but it did give too much away, like Roslyn surviving, not that we didn't think she would probably survive anyway. Anyone else think they should get Zerek into the insurgency? He obviously has experience in that type of work. Also, if I had to guess, we'll see Baltar left with the Cylons when the rescue is made. Then he'll end up like the Baltar from the old show, living with them, possibly commanding a basestar, and chasing down the fleet. They sure have taken the chracter in interesting directions.

Boogie

icarus-daedelus said:
I'd say it's probably better to just keep spoilers for this episode to a minimum til at least the next episode airs. Although really people shouldn't be reading this thread if they haven't seen it yet, it just sucks to be spoiled. :(

I vote for the same rules as 24 threads. If it's aired, it's fair game for discussion. If you haven't seen the episode yet, stay the **** out of the thread.

Inside info, legitimate spoiler info from websites, imdb, etc. should all be spoiler tagged, however.

Photon

icarus-daedelus said:
the random, unneeded and pretty darn abrubt killing-off of Billy. Kind of funny, as I think it was their way of staying edgy after magically curing Roslin's cancer. ;)

I believe the podcast mentioned it was due to the actor wanting to move on to other projects.

Boogie

Photon said:
I believe the podcast mentioned it was due to the actor wanting to move on to other projects.

seriously, wtf? You're on Battlestar Galactica and you want to move onto other projects? What the **** for? :p

JayDubya

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
I'm still amazed he wore a fat suit.

Well, it is an interesting and unexpected character development, but it makes sense. He's generally a boy scout figure with few notable exceptions, he's extremely dedicated to causes but currently has none, he left a girl back on Caprica pregnant with his kid (and of course she died when the Cylons nuked it), he clearly saw Starbuck as a love interest but she utterly rejected him, etc, etc, etc. He supported Roslin emphatically and then she lost the election.

Dualla pegged it - he's a soldier that needs a war. Dude's depressed and gotten rather comfortable being that way. Despite what Lee said last episode, when the New Caprica survivors are rescued, I entirely expect the Pegasus to come in and save the day.

On a side note, I think that this is just an interesting by-product of jumping rapidly in time. We're sixteen months from Baltar's election. The good thing is we've skipped the "boring parts" and won't have to see Lee mope, just the after affects and redemption from said moping. :lol

Boogie said:
seriously, wtf? You're on Battlestar Galactica and you want to move onto other projects? What the **** for? :p

This goes into more detail why:

IMDB said:
Paul Campbell (Billy Keikeya) almost left Battlestar Galactica after the end of Season One since he wasn't under contract. After his new show didn't work out, he returned for Season Two. The producers asked him to sign a five-year contract. He didn't respond and the producers sensed he wasn't committed to the show. They couldn't write long-term story arcs because they didn't know if Campbell would be available. Thus, they decided to kill off Billy, according to Campbell. Though he appreciates quality TV shows, he is not a science-fiction fan. It was difficult for him to leave the show, but Campbell says it was the right choice

Boogie said:

Some people see themselves above the show. Especially in science fiction. It's happened a lot in Television where someone wants off a show. Besides, as great as BSG is, it's on the Sci Fi network. Perhaps he was up for a show that will be on one of the big four. There are a lot of reasons someone might want off a show beyond that too. They don't like the producers, their roll, especially the size of it, the pay, etc.

JayDubya

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Some people see themselves above the show. Especially in science fiction. It's happened a lot in Television where someone wants off a show. Besides, as great as BSG is, it's on the Sci Fi network. Perhaps he was up for a show that will be on one of the big four. There are a lot of reasons someone might want off a show beyond that too. They don't like the producers, their roll, especially the size of it, the pay, etc.

Perhaps, but I'd want something rather nice lined up before deciding to jump off something with that much critical acclaim and decent ratings - and he obviously didn't.

JayDubya said:
Perhaps, but I'd want something rather nice lined up before deciding to jump off something with that much critical acclaim and decent ratings - and he obviously didn't.

Based on distantmantra's quote above my post, it doesn't sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Not being an actor on a TV show, I'd tend to agree with you. Especially when the part is as small as his was. But some actors will overestimate their value on the market when they leave their current, and sometimes hit, show.

JayDubya

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Based on distantmantra's quote above my post, it doesn't sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Not being an actor on a TV show, I'd tend to agree with you. Especially when the part is as small as his was. But some actors will overestimate their value on the market when they leave their current, and sometimes hit, show.

Well it sounds like he tried to leave the show between seasons and it didn't work out, then Moore and Eick tried to get him to sign on for the show, and he didn't want to. I mean, he had a choice in the matter, he just made a very odd one.

JayDubya said:
Well it sounds like he tried to leave the show between seasons and it didn't work out, then Moore and Eick tried to get him to sign on for the show, and he didn't want to. I mean, he had a choice in the matter, he just made a very odd one.

I suppose he had the choice to sign the five year contract, which does sound very long if you're not happy with the show in general, and feel like you have other prospects. Perhaps he would have been interested in signing one or two year contracts, but if you end up locked into a long term deal, you're pretty much out of luck getting into other projects should they become available to you.

So, I just for the first time ever, watched the show on Space (though I had seen bits and peices of toher episodes). I was kinda intrested in checking it out due to 2 things, I keep hearing it's great from other people and on GAF, and also Space was mercilessly advertising the hell out of it. I missed the first 20 minutes or so, so didnt see this 'awsome opener' but the show does seem intresting, when I checked it out on IMDB, it came up with a 2003 mini series, and 2004 series, what's the deal, did the mini do so well the show got picked up? I am intrested in seeing it from the begining if I am going to watch it though. Does Sci Fi have the episodes available for dl by chance?

Also, I have seen in stores this season 2.0 and 2.5, what's the deal? did they split the seasons for DVD release (I hate when shows do that) or is it something else?

Black Deatha said:
So, I just for the first time ever, watched the show on Space (though I had seen bits and peices of toher episodes). I was kinda intrested in checking it out due to 2 things, I keep hearing it's great from other people and on GAF, and also Space was mercilessly advertising the hell out of it. I missed the first 20 minutes or so, so didnt see this 'awsome opener' but the show does seem intresting, when I checked it out on IMDB, it came up with a 2003 mini series, and 2004 series, what's the deal, did the mini do so well the show got picked up? I am intrested in seeing it from the begining if I am going to watch it though. Does Sci Fi have the episodes available for dl by chance?

Also, I have seen in stores this season 2.0 and 2.5, what's the deal? did they split the seasons for DVD release (I hate when shows do that) or is it something else?

The mini series is included with season one on DVD. Sci Fi does not have them up for download, although I think you can buy them off of iTunes. Season two was split up in half when it aired on TV, and they just released the DVDs in the same manner. Season three will not be split, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom