• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
distantmantra said:
The mini series is included with season one on DVD. Sci Fi does not have them up for download, although I think you can buy them off of iTunes. Season two was split up in half when it aired on TV, and they just released the DVDs in the same manner. Season three will not be split, though.

Oh, that's cool, was the first season full length, or just an extention of the mini series to make it a full season?

Black Deatha said:
Oh, that's cool, was the first season full length, or just an extention of the mini series to make it a full season?
It was as long as the last season of AD, so up to you to decide. :(

JayDubya

Banned
Black Deatha said:
I missed the first 20 minutes or so, so didnt see this 'awsome opener' but the show does seem intresting, when I checked it out on IMDB, it came up with a 2003 mini series, and 2004 series, what's the deal, did the mini do so well the show got picked up? I am intrested in seeing it from the begining if I am going to watch it though. Does Sci Fi have the episodes available for dl by chance?

Also, I have seen in stores this season 2.0 and 2.5, what's the deal? did they split the seasons for DVD release (I hate when shows do that) or is it something else?

Okay.

Yes, the 2003 mini series was like unto a "pilot." NBC liked it and it did well so they signed on for a series.

The episodes are buyable on iTunes, and at varying times you can stream different episodes from Scifi.

Yes, they split the 20 episode season into two DVD purchases, and yes, it pisses me off.

CajoleJuice said:
It was as long as the last season of AD, so up to you to decide. :(

Ouch dude :( AD diserved better.

I think I'll rent the first disc or 2 from Blockbuster and from there decide if I will pick up the DVD.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Am I dork for wanting like a PDF version of the New Caprica Police flyer featured in the show? If so, I can live with it.

This show continues to astound me - you really feel placed in the center of this just incredibly ****ed up situation. Never has a show made me care so much about the character's desperation. Amazing start to the season.

JayDubya

Banned
tedtropy said:
This show continues to astound me - you really feel placed in the center of this just incredibly ****ed up situation. Never has a show made me care so much about the character's desperation. Amazing start to the season.

Qft!

Okay folks, eight minutes til 3.02(3.03)? Exodus, Part 1 airs! Woooooo! Get to a frakkin' TV!

Mashing

Spoiler tagged for west coasters, sorry about that.

So, does anyone else think Adama setup Sharon? His reaction when he heard she came back from her mission was rather puzzling. I don't know what to make of that. And the scene after with those two pilots. Very strange. I guess we'll find out next week.

Great episode as usual. But why is number 3 having dreams about Hera? Where are they going with that?

Phoenix

Mashing said:
Great episode as usual. But why is number 3 having dreams about Hera? Where are they going with that?

It is also interesting in that in this universe it appears that they are suggesting that the gods exist and do communicate through the oracles.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pretty good episode, though the early scene reconning the ending of last weeks seemed really REALLY off.

Coop

Lonestar said:
Pretty good episode, though the early scene reconning the ending of last weeks seemed really REALLY off.

I hate when shows do that.

Show a scene with main character in a life or death situation...about to die!1!!!1!

*24 Hours Earlier*

God i hate it, alias did it all the time.

Good episode, cant wait till next week.

Phoenix said:
It is also interesting in that in this universe it appears that they are suggesting that the gods exist and do communicate through the oracles.
Yeah I found that very interesting too. I love how, instead of dragging out the same mysteries, BSG solves them while introducing new ones. Next weeks episode looks insane.:)

sangreal

I'm really liking this season so far. I think they went a bit overboard on everyone changing in a years time, but other than that.. Starbuck is my least favorite character: I don't like her looks, personality or acting so I'm glad she has had a minor role so far. I also think the new Colonel Tigh is awesome, much cooler than the old drunk. Hope he doesn't revert once they are rescued

Coop said:
I hate when shows do that.

Show a scene with main character in a life or death situation...about to die!1!!!1!

*24 Hours Earlier*

God i hate it, alias did it all the time.

Good episode, cant wait till next week.

I can't stand that, and BSG does it all the time. However, I believe he was talking about the way episode 2 and 3 both showed the same scene
the transport pulling up to the flats and everyone getting out for the bathroom break, etc

Good episode, but I feel they are really trying too hard to draw parallels between the Cylon occupation of New Caprica and the US occupation of Iraq. Especially
the graduation ceremony bombing last week

I hate watching shows like BSG because I'm impatient and can't wait until next week :(

Woakes

Maybe I'm wrong unless I rewatch it, but I thought there was an incongruity between the end of episode 2 and the viewpoint from the chief of the same scene. Maybe it's deliberate and is hinting at something...

From the chiefs viewpoint his wife just walks round the trucks and starts running toward him, but in episode 2 the guy cut her bonds and pushed her down the hill and she started running. Maybe I'm wrong and it just hit my blind spot.

At any rate that aside, I don't think the season is starting too strong so far. I like the depressed/repressed air they have going on, but since mid season 2 it's been that way all the time. It's getting oppresive. That's probably the point but it still needs to find a few lighter moments for me.

sangreal

Woakes said:
From the chiefs viewpoint his wife just walks round the trucks and starts running toward him, but in episode 2 the guy cut her bonds and pushed her down the hill and she started running. Maybe I'm wrong and it just hit my blind spot.

I noticed that, and also
in the previous episode and the recap, she is still running when the gunfire starts, but the gunfire doesnt actual start until the chief tackles her

xabre said:
Seems like they're going to explore the 'Baltar is a cylon' possibility at some point soon too.

Yep. Clearly shown in the "This Season on Battlestar Galactica" trailer that ended episode 1.

This weeks episode was great, and left me ready for next week, although I was pissed off a bit over the cheap way they saved the people who were about to be killed by the cylon firing squad. Just seemed like too easy of an out for me. But, you also knew that at least some of them were going to survive.

As for Adama's reaction to finding out Sharon had gotten the keys, I saw it more as a pause before they head out on what they expect could be a suicide mission. Him slamming his fist on the desk was, to me, another sign that he was ready to strike back and get this mission, which they've been waiting for for months, underway. Same with the pilots. They couldn't do anything but wait, and hope that they could fly that mission, even though they are all dreading it. I don't think Adama expected Sharon to turn on them at all. In fact, you get the impression that they have established a great relationship over the past year, and obviously her husband is still on Galactica.

Coop

xabre said:
Seems like they're going to explore the 'Baltar is a cylon' possibility at some point soon too.

If Baltar turns out to be a cylon I think I might stop watching the show. It's beyond retarded and makes no sense if he is one...

I'd still watch the show

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm enjoying this new season so far. I can't say I'm a fan of this whole Cylon occupation thing, but there are some interesting enough sub stories going on that I can deal with it until they are back up "in the air" so to speak.

I'm REALLY curious to see how Sharon reacts to her baby being alive especially considering the supposedly good relationship she's built up with Adam.

I'm curious to see what the involvement of the Lucy Lawless cylon does to that storyline.

But man... Quantum Leap-Cylon and the other Cylon are hardasses....

Lonestar

the episode after this one is named "Collaborators", so that gives me hope that the show actually deals with the people deemed as collaborators. What happens to Baltar is probably #1. Is he left behind with the Cylons (HELLO THRONE ;P )

But then you have the "NC Police", Ellen Tigh, and the person I'm most interested in seeing what happens, Gatta. Being that he was the source to the resistance, I hope they don't make the mistake in killing him/imprisoning him, or whatever (which makes me think back, did he tell the Chief that he was the source, or was he just talking to him while he was upset about Cally? The way the conversation went, it seemed the Chief was pissed at him for "working with them", not thinking that he's helping the resistance in a huge way.)

DarienA

Lonestar said:
the episode after this one is named "Collaborators", so that gives me hope that the show actually deals with the people deemed as collaborators. What happens to Baltar is probably #1. Is he left behind with the Cylons (HELLO THRONE ;P )

But then you have the "NC Police", Ellen Tigh, and the person I'm most interested in seeing what happens, Gatta. Being that he was the source to the resistance, I hope they don't make the mistake in killing him/imprisoning him, or whatever (which makes me think back, did he tell the Chief that he was the source, or was he just talking to him while he was upset about Cally? The way the conversation went, it seemed the Chief was pissed at him for "working with them", not thinking that he's helping the resistance in a huge way.)

Chief doesn't know Gatta is the resistance source that's why he's pissed because he sees Gatta as someone just working with the Cylons and he wasn't able to provide the chief with any info about his wife.

When you look at Gatta's face afterwards you can see how torn he is... Chief doesn't know how much Gatta really is putting on the line for the resistance.

As for Ellen Tigh I have to say I thought she was going to be an annoying manipulative whining character when they first brought her in.... she's still manipulative, but I've greatly enjoyed the use of the character.

Phoenix

sangreal said:
I noticed that, and also
in the previous episode and the recap, she is still running when the gunfire starts, but the gunfire doesnt actual start until the chief tackles her

That and she appears to be very clearly IN the forest :)

Mike M

Nick N
Lonestar said:
Yeah, I found that to be a wee bit confusing. During the conversation I got the distinct impression that Gatta had revealed himself to be the source, at least indirectly (I mean c'mon, he's the president's right hand man offering you help, Chief should have been able to put two and two together right quick), but then Chief gets pissed at him.

It is a little puzzling why Gatta hasn't said anything to the Chief, but I suppose he wants to keep his anonymity for now. What if the Chief is captured and interrogated by the Cylons? Would he give him up? Gatta can do more good staying silent for now, and it should be fairly easy to prove that he is the informant should they escape from New Caprica.

Darien: Clearly you're a fan of the show and know what's going on, but for the love of all that is good and holy, it's CYLONS. CYLONS man! Not cyclons. :)

DarienA

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It is a little puzzling why Gatta hasn't said anything to the Chief, but I suppose he wants to keep his anonymity for now. What if the Chief is captured and interrogated by the Cylons? Would he give him up? Gatta can do more good staying silent for now, and it should be fairly easy to prove that he is the informant should they escape from New Caprica.

Darien: Clearly you're a fan of the show and know what's going on, but for the love of all that is good and holy, it's CYLONS. CYLONS man! Not cyclons. :)

It was a typo I swear! ;)

Lonestar

The whole bit about the confusing Cally escape scenese have me really worrying that she's a Cylon (which wouldn't make sense...right? Unless she killed Sharon in S2 to keep her from talking or being tested or whatever, all pure assumption). Like, they're might have been 2 cally's in the transport, as the one in Ep1 falls down the hill and into the forrest, and the one in Ep 2 was entirely different, like she came from the backside of the convoy, running away from the cylons.

Maybe it's a new thing they've developt, a way to simulate an actual person, so one is real and one is not. Maybe the fake one was meant to escape while the others died to infiltrate the Chief's group ("I got away before they all got shot, help me. Don't look behind me, it's a bomb!), only to be foiled because the actual Cally got away.

I made all that up from guesses, off of how the difference in scenes was presented to me. Because that shit made no sense to me at all, really fubar'ed

DarienA

Lonestar said:
The whole bit about the confusing Cally escape scenese have me really worrying that she's a Cylon (which wouldn't make sense...right? Unless she killed Sharon in S2 to keep her from talking or being tested or whatever, all pure assumption). Like, they're might have been 2 cally's in the transport, as the one in Ep1 falls down the hill and into the forrest, and the one in Ep 2 was entirely different, like she came from the backside of the convoy, running away from the cylons.

Maybe it's a new thing they've developt, a way to simulate an actual person, so one is real and one is not. Maybe the fake one was meant to escape while the others died to infiltrate the Chief's group ("I got away before they all got shot, help me. Don't look behind me, it's a bomb!), only to be foiled because the actual Cally got away.

I made all that up from guesses, off of how the difference in scenes was presented to me. Because that shit made no sense to me at all, really fubar'ed

No I think it's simply the case of something I've see them doing since the show starts... they'll splice a camera angle with another sound that has something to do with the scene but not really in the way it's portrayed in the trailer in as well.

Then when you see how it really plays out you're like... those bait and switch b*stards.... they've been doing it almost since the show started IMO.

DarienA said:
It was a typo I swear! ;)

:lol I figured as much, but when it's done multiple times, I can't help but point it out. :D You may want to edit your other post a few back, where "cyclon" is written three or four times. ;)

Lonestar

Yeah, I agree about the bait and switch they've done, but this one takes the cake! It's almost a totally redone scene. In Ep1, she falls down that cliff on the left side of the vehicles (they were facing away from the camera, like she's on the same side that the Cylons came from), but in Ep2, there's no hill to fall down from, the trucks (I think) are facing the same direction (though the camera now has them facing towards the right part of the screen), as if she's running to the right of the vehicles instead.

It's just really really bizaar.

We're probably give them too much credit with these theories about Cally being a Cylon or what ever. Seems like just shitty continuity to me. On a lot of TV shows they can get away with that stuff, but on SciFi shows in particular, where the geeky fanboys (read: US!) watch for every detail, it just comes across as more jarring and it sticks out even more.

Lonestar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
We're probably give them too much credit with these theories about Cally being a Cylon or what ever. Seems like just shitty continuity to me. On a lot of TV shows they can get away with that stuff, but on SciFi shows in particular, where the geeky fanboys (read: US!) watch for every detail, it just comes across as more jarring and it sticks out even more.

egads, you are right.

I have fallen down a dark and depressing road!

sangreal

DarienA said:
As for Ellen Tigh I have to say I thought she was going to be an annoying manipulative whining character when they first brought her in.... she's still manipulative, but I've greatly enjoyed the use of the character.

I thought she was going to be a Cylon when they first brought her in.

I'm still not convinced she isn't one, but I guess her and the colonel's marriage probably predates the skinjobs

DarienA

sangreal said:
I thought she was going to be a Cylon when they first brought her in.

I'm still not convinced she isn't one, but I guess her and the colonel's marriage probably predates the skinjobs

...I can't believe you just said skinjob.

sangreal

DarienA said:
...I can't believe you just said skinjob.

It may sound lame, but thats what they are called on the show so I don't know what you want me to call them. I'll start being concerned if I ever say frak

JayDubya

Banned
Coop said:
These use it on the show and on Bladerunner

Which also featured Edward James Olmos. Who wasn't a "skinjob" in that one either. :D

I'm really excited they're cementing themselves further into some greek mythology elements - the oracle drugged out on chamala talking about Zeus was rather welcome. I still want to know which one of the Greek gods became the Cylon god. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, check out the deleted scenes from Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part One (episode 1.12).

DarienA

Coop said:
What's wrong with the term? These use it on the show and on Bladerunner

And it's derogatory in both instances! ;)

I'm kidding, I don't care that it's a derogatory term I just always find it funny when we take show slang and adopt it in to our regular conversations.... as long as nobody here starts using frack!

EDIT:

sangreal said:
It may sound lame, but thats what they are called on the show so I don't know what you want me to call them. I'll start being concerned if I ever say frak

Exactly. ;)

Coop

JayDubya said:
Which also featured Edward James Olmos. Who wasn't a "skinjob" in that one either. :D

Yeah he was great in it..i thought it was cool how he created the cityspeak.

DarienA said:
And it's derogatory in both instances! ;)

I'm kidding, I don't care that it's a derogatory term I just always find it funny we take show slang and adopt it in to our regular conversations.... as long as nobody here starts using frack!

Sadly, I have used frak in real life. :(

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Still loving it. Yet again it had me shouting "aw god damn it" at the suspense-building ending. :D

While looking at the gag reel posted above I also found this one. It's tense moments like this that make me absolutely love this show. It's fairly spolierish if you haven't watched Season 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esJbScBkU-s

Anyone else have the feeling that
when Adama and co. succesfully rescue the humans on New Caprica, Hera won't be one of them? I know it's pretty predictable, but I have a feeling that she and Sharon will end up in the hands of the Cylons.

sangreal

distantmantra said:
Anyone else have the feeling that
when Adama and co. succesfully rescue the humans on New Caprica, Hera won't be one of them? I know it's pretty predictable, but I have a feeling that she and Sharon will end up in the hands of the Cylons.

Yeah, they kind of went way out of their way to emphasize how important it is to get the baby off the planet so something will probably happen.

LevelNth

Banned
The scene with Adama and Apollo on the hanger deck was just pure BSG brilliance. The whole father/son angle and stunning soundtrack work by Bear McCready are so woefully underrated on this show it hurts. Adama calling attention and the whole deck saluting Apollo leaving was extremely well done, even if Bamber still looks silly in that suit. Those two are still my favorite part of the show, harkening way back to Season 1, Episode 4 (y'all remember it, it was frakkin' brilliant). I can't wait to see Pegasus jump back into New Caprica space to help out Galactica, as Apollo becomes more and more like his father.

And the whole thing with Cally, I think it was all just a pure pump fake; easy way out of an exciting cliffhanger. Moore has stated numerous times too the number one thing he doesn't want to do is make too many of the main characters cylons, because as much as it may explore interesting human/robot sociological angles, it will detach the audience too much from previous events. Hence why the last 3 cylons have been brand new characters. I think it's the better way to go too; the show doesn't need to rely on that, and it does seem to be moving away from the whole paranoia aspect of who's human and who's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom