• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

Backed for $50. Love to see old-school stuff come back! Had Crescent Hawk's Inception on C64, but somehow lost it when I took it to school to show it off. :-(

280px-CHICover.jpg

280px-Mechwarrior_rpg.jpg

I think I still have the original Mechwarrior rulebook floating around my parent's house, though. Never played the Mechwarrior games, but I think I'm more excited about this turn-based take on it anyway.

Digby

Neo Member
I was really hoping for some gameplay, a rough alpha or something... anything!

280px-Mechwarrior_rpg.jpg

This brings back memories.... I haven't seen that cover since 6th grade.

Effect

This has me wondering. How has MechWarrior Online turned out? I remember there were some negativity surrounding some design choices when it first came out but it's been a while and it still exist I believe. Have things improved?

Ultimately I do want the single player and if that doesn't get reached I'll have to decide what I'm going to do.

Dennis

Banned
Does it matter really with Unity or UE4?

I am expecting graphics that are basically on par with Shadowrun. And for that I don't know that it will be a big deal what engine they use.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I am expecting graphics that are basically on par with Shadowrun. And for that I don't know that it will be a big deal what engine they use.

Damn near every Unity engine game I've played has had some kind of odd technical issues. Usually nothing overly major, but annoyances nonetheless.

Granjinha

Well, looks like the guy (forgot the name) that the said the community would eat this up was right.

Nice!

Hope it reaches PvP.

More ambitious games have some odd technical issues. This isn't like Shadowrun, they are doing full 3D environments with destructible structures, etc. It's also Unity 5.

Every single larger-scale Unity game I've played so far had intermittent stuttering issues. Not a single UE4 game had such issues.

Not sure if Assault Android Cactus fits in 'larger-scale', but the performance of that was pretty good. Zero stutterings.

Ori was pretty good too, albeit that one had some problems.

I don't like the stretch goal structure.

I'm not at all interested in a skirmish mode without the single player campaign to help immerse me in the game's universe.

If they make that mil I'll get in on this, but yeah, they would have had my money sooner if it wasn't so far away of a stretch goal.

Llyranor

We NEED to reach 1.8 million, at least. Please help unlock this game's full potential.

this is like good old Front Mission ;__;

No story campaign until hit 1 million is very shitty tho

I'm not at all interested in a skirmish mode without the single player campaign to help immerse me in the game's universe.

If they make that mil I'll get in on this, but yeah, they would have had my money sooner if it wasn't so far away of a stretch goal.

This approach works better than the alternative, which would be a base 1 million goal. If it missed it, no game gets made. At least here, if there's enough demand (but not enough for the campaign), we still get a skirmish game.

Dennis

Banned

My interest is about 10% if they don't reach $1 million. 50% if they do.

And 110% if they reach $1.85 million. That is the real game for me.

No prototype and not even an overview of the tactical side of the game? Looks like they're going to do fine based on the license and merits of their past work either way, pretty lame though. I'm not familiar with Battletech but am definitely interested in a TBT game with mechs by Hairbrained, is this expected to be an adaptation of tabletop rules or an entirely new system?

Effect

Isn't Unity 5 new though? Like 2015 new? Did they ever address the issues with large areas that previous versions had?

Granjinha

Have people had a lot of problems with the Shadowrun games?

They have all run pretty glitch-free for me.

Shadowrun did had some glitches and was limited thanks to the pipeline being structured for mobile versions too.

Also:

Game development is not without risk, though. We're building an all-new codebase in Unity 5, with lofty visual and gameplay goals - and we know that really nailing the feel of BattleTech will take time and iteration.

I think this one is fairly more ambitious.

Uthred

Backed, I'd like the backer exclusive skin but have no interest in the novella or beta access, might up my pledge later

Effect

At the very least some story scenarios instead of a campaign before the 1 million goal is reached would be nice.

My interest is about 10% if they don't reach $1 million. 50% if they do.

And 110% if they reach $1.85 million. That is the real game for me.

Yeah once they crack a mil I'm probably in for $100 or more. Having two campaigns in one package is the real target.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They're going to hit $1m easily, plus you can always cancel your pledge if they don't for some reason.

Granjinha

They mentioned in the livestream that they have rewritten and repurposed some Unity components to account for some of the concerns already expressed, so it's nice to know they're aware of it.

Oh, i have no doubt about that.

But, unfortunately, performance issues are something kind of always present in Unity Games. It doesn't bother that much though.

Memory

Not trying to tell people what to do with their money but waiting until the campaign gets higher to the $1 Million+ mark before backing is counter productive if you want that total to get hit.

You are better off backing now to help reach the total and then pulling out on the last day if the total is no where near the $1 million+ mark.

Plenty of unsuccessful KS and missed tiers have the comments section full of people regretting they didn't back earlier or at a higher tier. Part of KS is momentum and hype, wait and see tends to damage KS campaigns. If your not sure you want to back at all then that's another story, but if you have interest in the campaign then back now and help to unlock it.

Again not trying to tell anyone what to do with their hard earned cash, just offering my view point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They really need to add more tiers to fill in the gaps. I mean they go from $275 to $1000 with nothing in between for example.

They should really take a look at Fairfax's analysis of the Divinity 2 kickstarter which has valuable information for anyone setting up backing Tiers, not just Larian.

New engine please. Shadowrun was creaking and groaning under the old one.

I loved Shadowrun but my interest for mech stuff is absolutely zero. So not pledging but will wait for gameplay video to decide.

Granjinha

New engine please. Shadowrun was creaking and groaning under the old one.

I loved Shadowrun but my interest for mech stuff is absolutely zero. So not pledging but will wait for gameplay video to decide.

It's a new engine. Unity 5 with new groundfork and pipeline for the game.

Game development is not without risk, though. We're building an all-new codebase in Unity 5, with lofty visual and gameplay goals - and we know that really nailing the feel of BattleTech will take time and iteration.

WOOPS! Double post! Sorry!

Top Bottom