• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

Lime

Here we go, I just installed again Mech Commander 2.

Mechcommander Gold was the superior game though. I prefer the sprites, the mechwarriors, the mission designs, and the campaign in general. Salvaging Clan mechs were such a huge reward.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mechcommander Gold was the superior game though. I prefer the sprites, the mechwarriors, the mission designs, and the campaign in general. Salvaging Clan mechs were such a huge reward.

Yea I agree. Mechcommander 2 isn't a bad game, but it's worse in pretty much every regard to the first.

Developing a campaign is expensive. What exactly would you expect it to cost?

I'd expect it to be the goal of the kickstarter itself? Like, I want this if it has a campaign. I don't want it if its just a skirmish simulator. So should I support it and hope it hits the goal? Or wait until it hits the goal and then support it when it's actually what I want? It's just goofy.

Sinatar

I'd expect it to be the goal of the kickstarter itself? Like, I want this if it has a campaign. I don't want it if its just a skirmish simulator. So should I support it and hope it hits the goal? Or wait until it hits the goal and then support it when it's actually what I want? It's just goofy.

Lots of kickstarters have interesting features behind stretch goals, *shrug*.

Orayn

Considering backing at $125 or $275 for the awesome feelies, but I haven't immersed myself in enough lore to know which house I'd want. Inner Sphere/first world problems.

No harm in waiting, it'll be there within a few days at the very longest.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Kickstarter doesn't charge you until the end, so you can make a pledge now if you wish. Every developer assumes that there will be some loss right before the end, so it is of little consequence if the goal you are personally interested in is not met and you remove your pledge before you are charged.

Lime

Pillars of Eternity would also just be a toolset if it didn't have a high goal. You have to understand that game development works with a solid base from which you then expand and create the bigger experiences, like campaigns or complex multiplayer. It is this 'solid foundation' that the Kickstarter's initial goal was. HBS already have the funds ($1M) that they themselves injected into the project. All they're asking for is more funds to create something from that ground level into a more wholesome singleplayer experience.

Considering backing at $125 or $275 for the awesome feelies, but I haven't immersed myself in enough lore to know which house I'd want. Inner Sphere/first world problems.

The Inner Sphere is basically shorthand for "Assholes in Space". Every house is full of huge ones. You've just got to decide which particular KIND of asshole you identify with the most. Space Americans? Space Japanese? Space Scandinavians? There's also Space Russians and Space Generic Western Europeans.

Or you can just do what my friend does and go with your favorite colour and logo and give precisely zero fucks.

Here is a good start and intro blurb for everyone.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Successor_States

Steel

Banned

At this point, we're pretty much guaranteed to hit 1 mil.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Backed it, hopefully it hits that 1.85 million stretch goal, but we'll see. At least it should hit the 1 million one for a full single player campaign.

The Inner Sphere is basically shorthand for "Assholes in Space". Every house is full of huge ones. You've just got to decide which particular KIND of asshole you identify with the most. Space Americans? Space Japanese? Space Scandinavians? There's also Space Russians and Space Generic Western Europeans.

Or you can just do what my friend does and go with your favorite colour and logo and give precisely zero fucks.

Here is a good start and intro blurb for everyone.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Successor_States

Oh, I dunno, Davion/Federated Suns aren't so bad. Relative to most of the others, I mean. From what I remember from Mechwarrior/commander, at any rate.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Backed it, hopefully it hits that 1.85 million stretch goal, but we'll see. At least it should hit the 1 million one for a full single player campaign.

Its guaranteed 1 million, but the 1.8 is gonna be the push. 2.5 wont make it unless something else happens. 1.8 is the main one i want anyway.

Serrato

True, but I don't know. I wanted to battle on Karver V again.

Probable that I'll play MechCommander Gold after.

Sinatar

Looks like we've unlocked one of the social media rewards.

21640429269_0b6ca69562_o.png

21204568624_73fa164817_o.jpg

$726k and it's not even 12 hours yet. That's already a better day one than Divinity 2, Wasteland 2, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Kingdom Come: Deliverance...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Awwwww yesss. Almost got that second novella for the $50 and up tier. I'm so excited to read a bunch of Battletech fiction again. I want to go try and find all the books I had from when I was a kid, but I'm sure they have been sold off or donated to the library by now.

Awwwww yesss. Almost got that second novella for the $50 and up tier. I'm so excited to read a bunch of Battletech fiction again. I want to go try and find all the books I had from when I was a kid, but I'm sure they have been sold off or donated to the library by now.

I was just thinking the same thing. Loved those first Stackpole books.

Here's a by-amount list. Mostly Day 1 amounts, some Day 1 + 2 (going by Kicktraq)

Battletech - $741k and counting
Pillars of Eternity - $705k
Divinity 2 - $534k
Elite Dangerous - $438k
Wasteland 2 - $470k
Battle Chasers - $313k
Planetary Annihilation - $279k
Kingdom Come - $256k
Star Citizen - $224k

Here's a by-amount list. Mostly Day 1 amounts, some Day 1 + 2 (going by Kicktraq)

Divinity 2 - $534k
Elite Dangerous - $438k
Wasteland 2 - $470k
Battle Chasers - $313k
Kingdom Come - $256k
Star Citizen - $224k

DAAAAMN. Battletech fans coming out of the woodwork!

~Kinggi~

Banned

Divinity 2 - $534k
Elite Dangerous - $438k
Wasteland 2 - $470k
Battle Chasers - $313k
Kingdom Come - $256k
Star Citizen - $224k

I feel like these numbers are subject to when the day began. Some campaigns started at different times so its hard to judge what the first 24 hours really made. I mean i really feel like other KS campaigns grew a lot more quicker, such as Pillars for example. I could be wrong i guess.

I feel like these numbers are subject to when the day began. Some campaigns started at different times so its hard to judge what the first 24 hours really made. I mean i really feel like other KS campaigns grew a lot more quicker, such as Pillars for example. I could be wrong i guess.
Some are Day 1 & 2 because they had low Day 1 amounts with the bulk of the early momentum coming on Day 2

Arulan

Yeah, but the KS was first, right? Didn't SC dev site crowdfunding come after the Kickstarter finished? I wasn't into Kickstarter back then

I thought it came before the Kickstarter. I remember them saying something about doing a Kickstarter because it made people feel more comfortable, and the additional exposure. I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe that's right.

It doesn't really matter, Battletech is off to a great start. I hope it keeps up.

Gamerman1

Please be good. So many hours lost playing Battletech miniatures(not to mention the cash involved) So many hours playing the Mechwarrior games.

Runs to backup Pentium 100 to reinstall Mechwarrior franchise for 6th time lol.

Sijil

An awesome backer reward would a resin model of your choosing of one the awesome PGI designed Battlemechs.

I would kickstart the hell out of project to release resin PGI Battletech models, the current ones on the market are still stuck in 1987.

Karak

I have been reading a lot of the thoughts here and noting them for my interview I am working on with Jordon. I also agree that a great backer reward would be a Resin model as well!

I have been reading a lot of the thoughts here and noting them for my interview I am working on with Jordon. I also agree that a great backer reward would be a Resin model as well!
Can you ask about destructible environments? Not terrain, but buildings and structures. Would be cool if a falling mech would crash though a building or city blocks would be leveled by missile barrages, stuff like that

Ogimachi

Divinity 2 - $534k
Elite Dangerous - $438k
Wasteland 2 - $470k
Battle Chasers - $313k
Kingdom Come - $256k
Star Citizen - $224k
Doesn't mean much yet. TToN and Eternity were close ($200k difference) but Torment made almost $1.5 million in its first 24 hours.
What's definitely a good sign is the average pledge per backer. Dropped from $74 to $71 already, but that's still very high. Means Battletech fans are willing to spend a lot, even though HBS isn't giving them a lot of options without spending 2,3 or 4 times their original pledge.

Tommyhawk

Yeah, but the KS was first, right? Didn't SC dev site crowdfunding come after the Kickstarter finished? I wasn't into Kickstarter back then

Nope, their own site was first and some time later they've also started a KS campaign mainly because their site was getting hammered and thus mostly offline.

In October 2012, the developers of the game started a crowdfunding campaign on their own website using IgnitionDeck, a crowdfunding plugin for WordPress. Just over a week into the campaign, they also started raising funds via a supplemental Kickstarter campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

mrpeabody

Can't wait to play this. Really glad the campaign is going to be in.

Forgot that the first Battletech game was developed by Infocom, how weird is that.

Lime

Just passed the 800k mark. This is going pretty swell.

I hope Harebrained does some improvements and changes throughout the next 34 days.

Lime

These are the mechs they plan to include so far

BATTLETECH is in pre-production, so many decisions, like the final 'Mech roster, are not yet determined. But here are the 'Mechs we're currently planning to include:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

Here's the MW:O art by Flying Debris that HBS are going to use:

Light mechs mentioned:

Medium mechs mentioned (no Wolverine):

Top Bottom