• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BATWOMAN |OT| Soldiering On, Fighting Crime, & Kissing Dames with Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bwoman_header.jpg

http://www.dccomics.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman
http://www.comicvine.com/batwoman/29-9052/

Wait, there's a BatWOMAN now? Since when?

Uh, yeah -- since 1956 dude, where have you been?

ylgpC.jpg

Batwoman first appeared in Detective Comics #233, and was the third member of Batman's "extended family" to be introduced after Alfred and Robin, pre-dating Barbara Gordon's Batgirl by over five years. She was created for DC by (Batman creator) Bob Kane and Sheldon Moldoff, largely as a response to criticisms that arose following the publication of Fredric Wertham's infamous book 'Seduction of the Innocent'; in his book Wertham accused Batman and Robin of being homosexuals, because of their close relationship and seeming lack of interest in women. By introducing a female crimefighter for Batman to interact and flirt with (and later for Robin, when a Bat-Girl [not Barbara Gordon] appeared as Batwoman's sidekick), DC hoped to defuse the situation and prove their intent to not promote homosexuality with the Dynamic Duo.

So for the next five years, Batwoman and sidekick Bat-Girl joined Batman and Robin in their costumed adventures, fighting crime with a feminine touch (Batwoman carried her gear in a purse, not a utility belt!) and providing a romantic foil both in and out of costume, as both Batwoman/Bat-Girl and as wealthy Gotham socialite Kathy Kane and her niece Betty. But when Julius Scwartz took over as Editor in '64, he declared the characters unnecessary and removed them from the book before introducing a new, hip Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) for the "modern" 1960s era. And so, Batwoman unceremoniously disappeared from DC Comics, and soon faded from collective memory.

Until...

fvJUR.jpg

In 2006, DC revived the character of Batwoman for the modern era with the 'Infinite Crisis' follow-up weekly series titled '52'. After 50 years and a myriad of Crises, DC's editors were now free to envision the character of Batwoman however they wished, and through a creative effort spearheaded by writer Greg Rucka recreated Kathy Kane for a "bold, new era" -- one that would see her far removed from the simple role of Batman's beard.

Alright, so who is this Batwoman character? What's her origin?

***CAUTION: CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED***

Batwoman is Katherine "Kate" Kane, wealthy socialite and daughter of Colonel Jacob Kane and stepmother Catherine; her biological mother, Gabrielle, is deceased and also served in the military. She was born with a twin sister named Beth, and as daughters of military parents they grew up moving from base to base and country to country, going wherever their father's work (special forces or military intelligence?) took them. One year for their birthday, their mother agreed to take the girls out for chocolate and waffles in apology for their father's absence; before they reached their destination, however, Kate/Beth and their mother were kidnapped by unknown, heavily armed assailants. Jacob led a commando raid to rescue his family, but when the operation had ended and Kate's hood was removed she saw that her mother and sister were dead.

Yexaj.jpg

Years later, Kate attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, with the aim of following in her parents' footsteps and serving her country. She quickly rose above the ranks of her fellow cadets and became an exemplary student, but when rumors began circulating of her carrying on an inappropriate relationship with another student -- her female roommate and fellow cadet Sophie Moore -- Kate was called before the BTO (Brigade Tactical Officer) to answer them. Out of respect for her parents, her BTO gave Kate the option of denying those rumors and sweeping the entire matter "under the rug"; but Kate, believing so strongly in the cadet's oath ("a cadet shall not lie, cheat or steal, nor suffer others to do so") chose to admit her homosexuality and promptly withdrew from the USMA.

twlVF.jpg

Denied the opportunity to serve her country Kate returned to her father Jacob, now on the verge of remarrying to a wealthy Gotham heiress (Catherine). When Kate told her father the truth about her leaving West Point over her sexual orientation he embraced her, proud of her for maintaining her integrity despite the heavy cost. But without a goal and the structure of the military lifestyle Kate became rudderless, enrolling in college but spending more time partying than studying, and living off her parents' wealth. One night Kate got pulled over on the outskirts of Gotham for speeding, and boldly asked the ticketing officer out for drinks -- that officer was Renee Montoya, and the two became lovers shortly after. But Kate's partying ways and Renee's reluctance to be outed put them at odds, and the two broke up in an argument after Kate dropped out of college.

CPqoB.jpg

That night Kate chose to dull the pain of their breakup in alcohol, and later called Renee to apologize as she was leaving the bar. Distracted by her call, Kate never noticed the man walking up behind her until he demanded her wallet and phone. Ducking the lead pipe swung at her head, Kate's military training kicked in and she quickly subdued her attacker; sensing another presence behind her, she quickly whirled about and was literally floored by what she saw next...

XG1HS.jpg

Standing there in the shadows, watching her, was the Batman. Saying not a word he strode forward, and reached out a hand to help her to her feet before turning his attentions toward her fleeing attacker. Kate stared up after the cloaked figure gliding off into the rainy night, framed against the backdrop of the Bat-Signal in the night sky, shining like a beacon, like a call to arms. From that day forward, Kate had purpose again; using her training and some non-lethals and combat gear stolen from the local military base, she began her own small-scale crimefighting career. After six months her father found out what Kate was doing with her spare time and confronted her, demanding she stop; but seeing his daughter would not be deterred from her new path, Jacob was determined to help her.

Using connections made through a lifelong career of service, Jacob Kane sent his daughter Kate on a training expedition, learning the skills she would need to wage war on crime from some of the finest minds in the military and intelligence communities. And after two years spent traveling the globe, a changed and revitalized Kate Kane returned to Gotham and an eager father. In her absence, Jacob had been busy, using those aforementioned connections to make sure his daughter had the latest in bleeding-edge military hardware at her disposal. She had a high-tech penthouse lair, the combat training, the investigative skills, the gadgets and the resolve -- and she had a costume. The final touch was a symbol, something to let criminals and allies know just whose side she soldiers for...

Oyjf3.jpg

Is it true she's... you know... Brazilian?

What?!? No, she's Jewish! >:O

yLuMP.jpg

...;p

But yeah, in case you missed it in the "origin story" above the modern Batwoman is a lesbian (which, when you think about it, is funny considering why the character was originally created in the 50s). In fact, DC grabbed national headlines in 2006 with the announcement that Kate would now be gay, and drew praise from the gay/lesbian community and criticism from more conservative groups. In fact, the publicity created so much short-term interest in the character that DC perhaps acted prematurely in pushing the character before a proper foundation of solid storytelling could be built for her. Which would explain why, unfortunately, many fanboys can't look past her sexual preference to see the truth: that Batwoman is a fleshed-out, well-rounded character whose orientation is not an essential character trait.

And I should care about all this because..?

Because I asked? No? Okay, here are three reasons why you should care.

One, you should care because of the people involved in Batwoman's modern revival, namely acclaimed writer Greg Rucka and equally praised artists J.H. Williams III and Amy Reeder. Rucka spent an exhaustive amount of time reinventing and building a world around Batwoman, even before her first appearance in '52'. His handling of the character during that series and especially the collaborative effort with Williams on 'Detective Comics' (issues #854 to 863) was critically celebrated and received numerous awards. And though Rucka has since parted ways with DC, to focus on his creator-owned work (though rumors of a falling out with DC editorial persist), Williams was intimately familiar with Rucka's intentions for the character and her direction, and has now stepped into the dual roles of writer AND artist. With help from writer W. Haden Blackman (formerly of Lucasarts) and shared penciling duties with Amy Reeder, Williams is confidently taking Batwoman into the next phase of her crimefighting career, an era set against the backdrop of Grant Morrison's "Batman Incorporated" movement.

(Speaking of Grant Morrison, one of the things I find most intriguing about Batwoman is how well her motivations for donning the mantle of the Bat as devised by Rucka, fit into the plan Morrison has crafted for the Batman family, a plan that has only in the last few weeks come to light. Now that he's returned, Bruce Wayne [as Batman] is creating an army of Batmen to fight crime worldwide, shining a multitude of Bat-Signals into the sky and recruiting those with potential who would answer the call. But Kate Kane answered that call years ago outside that bar, before Bruce even had the idea!)

Second, you should care because of the book's direction. Ever since she first appeared in the pages of '52' the story of Batwoman has dealt with themes that are a bit more... unorthodox than your typical Batman tales. The Crime Bible, a Gotham underworld devoted to the "religion of crime" and beliefs in blood prophecy and sacrifice, enemies and allies that are less superhero, more supernatural; these are the sort of things that Rucka dealt in during his time with the character, and they separated Kate's world from the more conventional detective tales of Batman and from the colorful world of gods-made-flesh making up the rest of the DCU. Judging by the preview and interviews, Williams will continue to deal in these unique themes, while experimenting with new approaches over future arcs to ensure Batwoman remains a fresh, inventive, and unique title in the Bat-family of comic books.

Third, you should care because of the artwork which, in case you haven't noticed is absolutely GORGEOUS. J.H. Williams III is a modern-day comics master, and anyone who's followed his career since Alan Moore's 'Promethea' would know this. His rendering is impeccable, his panel layouts flawless, his page composition astounding; it's easy to see why his work on 'Detective' earned him a pair of Eisner Awards this year, one for "Best Artist" and another for "Best Cover Artist". And his artistic partner on the book, Amy Reeder Hadley, is equally accomplished and celebrated, having earned several Eisner nominations for her work on DC's Vertigo title 'Madame Xanadu'.

I mean, just look at it!

q5JTB.jpg

*drool*

Look I could go on and on and come up with more reasons why you should check this out, I could tell you about Alice and the "Religion of Crime", about the werewolves and octomen, about her cousin Bette being a crimefighter too, about her shaky relationship with Renee Montoya now that she's become the Question, and so on... but the gist of it is this -- great writer, great artists, great character, great story, and GREAT artwork.

Need more convincing? Read a few interviews to learn more.

Artist's Alley 8: J.H. WILLIAMS III W/ Excl. BATWOMAN Art! (Newsarama)
Williams III, Blackman and Reeder Unleash "Batwoman" on Gotham (Comic Book Resources)

(will update with more as I find them)

Hmm. So, when does Batwoman begin (lol)?

TODAY, actually. The Batwoman #0 special has already materialized on comic shelves this Wednesday, November 24; the regular series will begin with issue #1 in February 2011. And since I'm such a nice guy, you can catch a preview of Batwoman #0 and the solicitation for first issue below.

Source

BATWOMAN #1
Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III & W. HADEN BLACKMAN
Art and cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
1:10 Variant cover by AMY REEDER

The multiple award-winning creative team of J.H. Williams III (DETECTIVE COMICS) and W. Haden Blackman (Star Wars, Force Unleashed) launch the first, chilling arc of the ongoing series fans have been clamoring for! In the 5-part “Hydrology,” Batwoman faces bizarre new challenges in her war against the dark underworld of Gotham and new trials in her personal life as Kate Kane. She quickly finds herself in the deep end facing truths about her past and her future. Who – or what – is stealing children from Gotham’s barrio, and for what twisted purpose? Can she train her cousin Bette Kane (a.k.a. Flamebird) as her new sidekick? How will she handle dark revelations about her father, Colonel Jacob Kane? How is she dealing with the supposed drowning of her sister, the villain known as Alice? And why is a certain government agency suddenly taking an interest in her? The road to the answers begins here!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

On sale FEBRUARY 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
There's already an early review for Batwoman #0 up at Newsarama, and the book is given high praise, describe as "a great entree for people who didn't jump on the bandwagon the last go-round." And having now read the issue I heartily agree; as seen in the preview above it's an exploration of Batwoman AND Kate Kane as seen through the eyes of both Bruce Wayne and the Batman as he seeks to prove what the reader already knows -- that they are one and the same.

With some serious creative chops behind this enterprise, this issue toes the line between "too much" and "just enough" — and just shows that when it comes to Batwoman, it looks like the best is yet to come.
Source

And where can I read more about this Batwoman NOW, good sir?

If you're eager for more Batwoman or just curious, the first place to look is the Batwoman: Elegy Deluxe Hardcover collecting the initial story arc from 'Detective Comics' by Rucka and Williams. Beyond that, check out her first modern appearance in 52 collected over four volumes. Also worth mentioning is the Final Crisis: Revelations tie-in by Rucka, featuring Batwoman and Question. And if reading '52' gets you interested in more Renee Montoya, you can check out The Five Books of Blood and The Question: Pipeline due out in January. Beyond that, there's the final three issues of Rucka's 'Detective Comics' run, issues #861 to 863, which have yet to be collected and feature artwork not by Williams but by Jock (yep, just Jock). A lot of readers dropped the series once Williams left, and that was a shame since it not only led to DC pulling Batwoman from the book but also because the story featured a unique "dual timeline" approach, with Batman (in the past) and Batwoman (in the present) working two cases whose details intertwine as they story progresses.

Will reading this comic make me irresistible to the ladies and intriguing to the gents?

It couldn't hurt! :D

H8ZER.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I gotta add this to the list. I dunno why I didn't pick it up today, but I kinda spent $50 already and didnt want to continue with the wallet pains :lol

way more

I said this in the other thread but nobody cared so I'm saying it again. There is no way a single butler could manage all of Wayne estate. You are telling me Alfred dusts all the rooms and cooks all the meals? They would require a live-in maid and cook at the very least. That's to say nothing about the gardeners and drivers.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
mac said:
I said this in the other thread but nobody cared so I'm saying it again. There is no way a single butler could manage all of Wayne estate. You are telling me Alfred dusts all the rooms and cooks all the meals? They would require a live-in maid and cook at the very least. That's to say nothing about the gardeners and drivers.
His super-power is time management

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
mac said:
He could just be cleaning the rooms Bruce goes in most often and when a guest or party comes he cleans the rest with the help of whoever is hired to cater the event (which Im sure also includes a cleaning crew, it's bruce wayne after all).

mac said:
I'm sure there's a small army of gardeners, pool cleaners, mechanics, servicemen and maids who are periodically brought in to maintain the grounds and Master Bruce's toys while Alfred oversees their work, and they are no doubt kept away from sensitive areas and paid handsomely to keep their mouths shut about anything strange they may happen to see. Likewise, a waitstaff crew and kitchen full of world-class chefs are kept on retainer and brought in to cater events sponsored by the Wayne Foundation.

Aside from that, there's no reason why Alfred wouldn't be able to cater to the needs of a single man and his three sons who, away from the public's prying eye, lead a spartan existence.

Jerk

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
I'm sure there's a small army of gardeners, pool cleaners, mechanics, servicemen and maids who are periodically brought in to maintain the grounds and Master Bruce's toys while Alfred oversees their work, and they are no doubt kept away from sensitive areas and paid handsomely to keep their mouths shut about anything strange they may happen to see. Likewise, a waitstaff crew and kitchen full of world-class chefs are kept on retainer and brought in to cater events sponsored by the Wayne Foundation.

Aside from that, there's no reason why Alfred wouldn't be able to cater to the needs of a single man and his three sons who, away from the public's prying eye, lead a spartan existence.

Three sons?

Dick, Tim and Damian. Although I guess Tim doesn't live at Wayne Manor anymore since he's gone international as Red Robin. And Dick and Damian have been living in a penthouse in Gotham, so Alfred has to pull double duty in two locations. Poor guy.

mac said:

Alfred also is part of the Outsiders isn't he? He is Batman mk1, it is all about prep time.

way more

Spike Spiegel said:

I accept the outside help on things like grounds, pools and athletics. He would even require the help of architects to build his Batcave. But I think day to day a maid and cook would be required at the very least. It makes sense practically and it would be a great bonus in the narrative. Imagine a adroit cook who always can get whatever ingredients or herbs Mr. Wayne needs. And the maid would be his link to the migrant workers. And a ex-con driver who could show Wayne the tricks of the trade and get news.

It seems a wrong both in practical means and also a waste of good narrative.

Foob

mac said:
I accept the outside help on things like grounds, pools and athletics. He would even require the help of architects to build his Batcave. But I think day to day a maid and cook would be required at the very least. It makes sense practically and it would be a great bonus in the narrative. Imagine a adroit cook who always can get whatever ingredients or herbs Mr. Wayne needs. And the maid would be his link to the migrant workers. And a ex-con driver who could show Wayne the tricks of the trade and get news.

no offense man but that sounds like a terrrrible idea

duckroll

Is mac suggesting that Batwoman quit her crimefighting ways and instead become a cook at Wayne manor while fighting off Bruce's advances by proclaiming she doesn't swing that way? If he isn't, why is he talking about the desire of having a maid and cook appear as a regular in Batman? :lol

mac said:

Clones or an underground system of tubes?

tim1138

Outstanding thread for an outstanding book. This was easily the highlight of this weeks releases, and probably my book of the month. Great storytelling, fantastic art, it's gonna be a long wait til February for issue 1.

Gazunta

I haven't bought a superhero comic in over a decade and this thread has convinced me to pick this book up
for the amazing art

Gazunta said:
I haven't bought a superhero comic in over a decade and this thread has convinced me to pick this book up
for the amazing art
That makes me happy.

I am thankful for Spike and his evangalizing of comics; they brought me and this dude back into the fold. And since then, I look forward to every Wednesday.

Gazunta said:
for the amazing art

Half amazing art.

Everyone seems to be glazing over the fact that Reeder's inker is woefully mismatched, but I guess that's why we have the comics industry we have. M.O.R. shit gets fawned over and no publisher ever gets the message that maybe quality ought to be paramount. Everyone focuses on JHWIII's half, not realizing that if changes aren't made now, every other storyline of the book is going to look like shit.

Oh well.

54-46!

favouriteflavour said:
There is one trade out already. Batwoman: Elegy. Its where most of the art from the OP is from. Damn good too.
Amazon says it's due June 14, 2011 - there's only a hardcover out.

54-46! said:
Amazon says it's due June 14, 2011 - there's only a hardcover out.
The hardcover is SOOOOOOOOOO worth it, though, especially at Amazon's current price of $16.49. It's an oversized edition, its dimensions printed slightly larger than the usual format, so you're able to appreciate the intricate mastery of Williams' artwork that much more. Plus there's some fascinating bonus material in the back, like script/panel comparisons of Rucka's writing and Williams's interpreted art, and his original design sketches for Kate's new look post- '52'. Not to mention the spectacular foreward by Rachel Maddow.

Sotha Sil

Spike Spiegel said:
The hardcover is SOOOOOOOOOO worth it, though, especially at Amazon's current price of $16.49. It's an oversized edition, its dimensions printed slightly larger than the usual format, so you're able to appreciate the intricate mastery of Williams' artwork that much more. Plus there's some fascinating bonus material in the back, like script/panel comparisons of Rucka's writing and Williams's interpreted art, and his original design sketches for Kate's new look post- '52'.

Bought.

way more

duckroll said:
Is mac suggesting that Batwoman quit her crimefighting ways and instead become a cook at Wayne manor while fighting off Bruce's advances by proclaiming she doesn't swing that way? If he isn't, why is he talking about the desire of having a maid and cook appear as a regular in Batman? :lol

A women processes neither the psychical prowess or the mental aptitude to wear the cloak. As science shows theirs brains lack the spacial reasoning to understand flight amongst high rises and they would be unable to coordinate the close combat encounters the Bat finds himself embroiled in. The proper role no doubt exists at home where she would be unable to succumb to the to the charms of the rouges gallery. What is to become if she falls in love with Joker?

mac said:

in the late 1980s and 1990s Batman found this guy named Harold who was a mute but was a genius with electronics who fixed the batmobiles and such. as for an architect for the batcave, you have John Stewart green lantern, architect to the superheroes. but Bruce handles all that stuff himself.

Angelus Errare said:
They should have kept Cassandra, ugh this is why sometimes I hate DC Comics =(
But Cass doesn't want to come back just yet, she said so in the last issue of Red Robin! That lets DC totally off the hook! :p

This is currently the best looking book on the planet and I'm posting in the best thread on GAF.

GREAT THANKSGIVING!

Angelus Errare said:
They should have kept Cassandra, ugh this is why sometimes I hate DC Comics =(

This has NOTHING to do with Cassie. Yu are dum.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
charsace said:
Question. Doesn't batman have a daughter and a son?
First off : DC continuity is messed up. Big time. Many Crisises that resulted in many continuity reboot.

Right now he has one son with Talia Al'Gul called Damian which currently Dick Grayson's Robin.

But the Golden Age Batman had a daughter if I recall correctly who was the Huntress. But they got erased from continuity along with the parallel universe they lived in.

charsace

Mistouze said:
First off : DC continuity is messed up. Big time. Many Crisises that resulted in many continuity reboot.

Right now he has one son with Talia Al'Gul called Damian which currently Dick Grayson's Robin.

But the Golden Age Batman had a daughter if I recall correctly who was the Huntress. But they got erased from continuity along with the parallel universe they lived in.
So is batgirl still paralyzed? I think huntress used to work with the first batgirl.

There was also a batgirl series a few years back where batgirl was catwoman's daughter. For some reason I thought batman and catwoman had a kid.

Barbara Gordon is still paralyzed and being Oracle. Cassandra Cain gave up being Batgirl when Bruce Wayne "died" and Stephanie Brown took her place working with Babs as the new Batgirl.

Pre- 'Crisis of Infinite Earths' Huntress was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman on an Earth where they married and retired (though Bruce became police commissioner of Gotham). Post-Crisis though, Huntress was the daughter of a mafia boss. When they did the Birds of Prey TV series, they went with the Pre-Crisis version for that vital connection to Batman.

Lorr

This is something I probably wouldn't have any interest in if J.H. Williams III weren't on it. The bits and pieces I've seen looks so stunning I might have to check it out though.

New CBR interview with series co-artist Amy Reeder Hadley, means bad news for BenjaminBirdie.

CBR: On “Madame Xanadu” you started working with Richard Friend. Is he inking your work on “Batwoman,” as well?

ARH: Yes. And Guy Major will be coloring my issues but he wasn’t able to color the zero issue. Because we were collaborating on the art it made more sense production-wise to have one colorist, so Dave Stewart will be coloring that and it’s just beautiful.

CBR: What is it that like about working with Richard and what does he bring to your pages?

ARH: I’m not a good inker. What I like about him is that he has an amazing fluidity to what he does. I can give him signals on how to render things and he does a wonderful job at it. He’s always been good at getting along with the artists he inks over. He worked for a very long time with Travis Charest and a very long time with Dustin Nguyen. I think that says something. He makes sure that he has a good relationship with pencilers and does a good job.

He’s also one of the most responsible people in the business. We’re all artists. Working at home and doing something that’s not measurable, like data entry, it can make it very difficult to be timely, but Rich has always been incredibly dependable. He always makes it beautiful. And when he says he’s going to have something done it is, which is a much bigger deal than people realize. It would give me a big headache if I didn’t have that constant to be able to deal with.

More HERE.

This week's installment of CBR's "She Has No Head!" column by Kelly Thompson has a fairly lengthy look at last week's Batwoman #0, and an overall positive review of the issue that notes some of its flaws. There's also some artwork from the issue, including a two-page spread that was one of my favorites of the issue given the convergence of the issue's two running plots being represented not only in words but in artwork as well.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...ead-j-h-williams-much-anticipated-batwoman-0/

Also, I am somewhat ashamed to admit that, until seeing this article, I had not realized that the red outline surrounding Kate/Batwoman was in fact a stylized bat. :O

Also, the issue got a three-star review from GAF's own BenjaminBirdie.

The Source: Batwoman in 2011

2010 was a big year for Batwoman, with the publication of the beautiful hardcover of BATWOMAN: ELEGY and issue #0 of generating flat out rave reviews in the press. 2011 promises even bigger and better things with the launch of the eagerly anticipated BATWOMAN ongoing series.

For insight into what’s in store for Kate Kane, we reached out to J.H. Williams:

“We’re very excited over the things we’ve come up with for Batwoman. Many layers to the story will unfold as the series progresses, and we’ll be going for a genre bending approach to things. We’re starting things off very much in a gothic horror type of story, and this will dovetail into more of a classic spy espionage plot with a touch Tarantino like structure, that in turn dovetails into more of a fantasy epic. The interesting thing about this genre bending plot movement is that these stories will be interconnected by an overall arcing plot. And while doing so, some of our main goals are dealing with the fall out between Kate Kane and her father Colonel Jacob Kane over the lies about her twin sister’s death from when they were children. This is stemming from events in the BATWOMAN: ELEGY book. We are also going to be creating a rogues gallery for Batwoman. Right now she really only has Alice and the Religion Of Crime. While those elements are great, we feel that Batwoman’s longevity as a strong character will be greatly enhanced by building her a mythos of villains that she can call her own, and we’ve got some very mean gruesome ones on the way. Detective Maggie Sawyer will also have a major role in the series as we explore the possibilities in Kate’s personal life and how they relate to her being Batwoman. We’re going to explore Batwoman’s relationship with Flamebird (Bette Kane, Kate’s cousin) in some very interesting ways. And while all of this is going on, a very powerful governmental agency is going to be breathing down her neck. As the series rolls out you can expect horror, action, intrigue, fantasy, heroism, and a whole lot of villainy.”

(more at the link)

DAT ARTWORK.

bw_1_preview1.jpg

bw_1_preview2.jpg

bw_1_06_07_600.jpg

bw1covervariant.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom