• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

TDLink

I'll ask again, does nintendo own the bayonetta IP? Do they have ownership over bayonetta 2's code? If they don't, then Sega is free to do whatever they want their own property.

We don't actually know at this point. Anything's possible. Nintendo definitely does own the Wonderful 101 IP though.

farnham

Banned
What's stopping a Bayonetta 2 "sigma" release? Does Nintendo own the IP or something?

We dont know the exact content of the contract. We also dont know if ninja gaiden ever was exclusive or tecmo had found a loophole in the contract

they can make bayonetta 3 on ps4 or 720... Probably

Majukun

I'll ask again, does nintendo own the bayonetta IP? Do they have ownership over bayonetta 2's code? If they don't, then Sega is free to do whatever they want their own property.

1)no they don't own the franchise

2)yes they have total power over the code of the game they entirely funded

iMerc

Are those nintendo franchising? I hardly doubt Bayonetta 2 will stay exclusive of wiiU if it will bombs.

What part of 'this game wouldn't exist without nintendo' do some people not understand?

Does this really need to be broken down?
These are the word of the developers themselves. This means that sega had no interest in investing in a sequel to the first game.
If sega aren't even interested in funding this, what makes you think they're going to fund ps3 & 360 versions?

At the end of the day i really don't care who fits the bill. the point is we're getting a sequel to an incredibly fun game that sold below publisher expectations.

What I find really annoying is the sight of people deliberately going out of their way to NOT buy a game simply out of loyalty to some other hardware manufacturer.
since when did the hardware become more important than the software?
I must really be old because when i was younger and there was a game that interested me, i knew that i would need to buy whatever hardware that game was on. it was that simple.
Sitting around and sulking because it's not available on the system i already own is absolutely laughable.

Dry those man tears and toughen up. If you like the software enough, you'll buy the hardware needed to play it.

Guys, Nintendo stepped in to save this game. Sega said they have no information for this game regarding Nintendo is handling this. PG said ask ninty if it gets ported to other consoles. This is a very clear message to me.

Raist

Banned

The IP is owned by Sega. No one knows if Nintendo owns anything regarding the code.
People keep saying it's "entirely funded by Nintendo" but they don't actually know that. It's very likely they're giving PG money to get the game made, but that's no different than the vast majority of publishing deals out there involving developers that are 3rd party and not part of a big publishing company.

omonimo

Banned
What part of 'this game wouldn't exist without nintendo' do some people not understand?

These are the word of the developers themselves. This means that sega had no interest in investing in a sequel to the first game.
If sega aren't even interested in funding this, what makes you think they're going to fund ps3 & 360 versions?

At the end of the day i really don't care who fits the bill. the point is we're getting a sequel to an incredibly fun game that sold below publisher expectations.

What I find really annoying is the sight of people deliberately going out of their way to NOT buy a game simply out of loyalty to some other hardware manufacturer.
I must really be old because when i was younger and there was a game that interested me, i knew that i would need to buy whatever hardware that game was on. it was that simple.
Sitting around and sulking because it's not available on the system i already own is absolutely laughable.

Dry those man tears and toughen up. If you like the software enough, you'll buy the hardware needed to play it.

Please, now don't be so tough. I'm so sensible.

1)no they don't own the franchise

Then what's stopping Sega from making an updated version of B2 for other consoles? What would Nintendo have to do with it? They have publishing rights of B2 for Wii U that they developed, but not every future game Sega makes using the IP.

And do have any evidence for 2)?

I'm just being realistic. To pretend we know everything about the situation is ridiculous. We're not in the know insiders, we're a bunch of marks.
Don't act like a little child.

Read the OP, Kamiya said that Nintendo funds and pays both projects and that it's up to them.

Your "argument" won't get better if you repeat yourself a thousand times.

Kamiya: Won't get ported, it's up to Nintendo
You: We don't know anything, everything can happen

Wtf?

TDLink

Thank you for being another rational and realistic person in this thread.

TDLink

Read the OP, Kamiya said that Nintendo funds and pays both projects and that it's up to them.

Wtf?

Yes but in his world Kamiya could actually just be lying hence "anything, everything can happen".

Of course they're calling the shots for this specific title. They're funding the whole thing. Doesn't mean they own the IP.
But it does mean that Sega would have to get the Publishing rights to the game from Nintendo to make it on other consoles. And considering Sega stopped making Bayo 2 for other consoles before Nintendo even agreed to revive it, most people doubt that Sega will spend all the money to get the rights back and pay the money to port to to consoles that are at the end of their life cycle.

If they never thought it was going to be profitable on the PS3/360 in the first place, what makes people think they're willing to get the publishing rights back, and pay to have it ported to systems they never thought it was going to sell on in the first place, at possibly the most inopportune time to put them on those systems? Could it happen? Totally. But considering the development cycle Bayo 2 has been through already, it just doesn't make that much sense.

Wtf?

People lie in this industry all the time. If they were already working on a port, he isn't going to admit it, is he?

Majukun

You don't know number 2. You're assuming/hoping.

that's how it works in every industry...i have already made the sample about the movie industry,but you can apply that to pretty much anything.Owning a franchise doesn't give you power over everything made with that franchise,it just gives you the ability to do something with that,or to give this ability to others

aeolist

Banned
Of course they're calling the shots for this specific title. They're funding the whole thing. Doesn't mean they own the IP.

But the funding they're giving probably means they own the exclusive, indefinite publishing rights for this particular game.

I'm sure that unless Sega sells them the IP there could potentially be a Bayonetta 3 for other platforms but there's no way the second game is coming anywhere other than Wii U.

omonimo

Banned
that's how it works in every industry...i have already made the sample about the movie industry,but you can apply that to pretty much anything.Owning a franchise doesn't give you power over everything made with that franchise,it just gives you the ability to do something with that,or to give this ability to others

Ooooook. But it's what I'm saying from a while. Before the defence force attack about the exclusive matter.

Sega owns the IP but Nintendo owns the code, read the op it pretty much answers it.

Then what's stopping Sega from making an updated version of B2 for other consoles? What would Nintendo have to do with it? They have publishing rights of B2 for Wii U that they developed, but not every future game Sega makes using the IP.

There's nothing stopping a potential Bayonetta 3 or even a Bayonetta 2: Special Edition if it was remade from the ground up on Sega's own money. With that said, if they were going to do that it would have made more sense to fund Bayonetta 2 on their own in the first place.

But it does mean that Sega would have to get the Publishing rights to the game from Nintendo to make it on other consoles. And considering Sega stopped making Bayo 2 for other consoles before Nintendo even agreed to revive it, most people doubt that Sega will spend all the money to get the rights back and pay the money to port to to consoles that are at the end of their life cycle.

If they never thought it was going to be profitable on the PS3/360 in the first place, what makes people think they're willing to get the publishing rights back, and pay to have it ported to systems they never thought it was going to sell on in the first place, at possibly the most inopportune time to put them on those systems? Could it happen? Totally. But considering the development cycle Bayo 2 has been through already, it just doesn't make that much sense.

Does Nintendo have rights to "Bayonetta: reloaded revengeance born to kill" edition, that is the direct sequel to the Sega published title "Bayonetta"? Does Sega need permission to put that game on other consoles?

There's nothing stopping a potential Bayonetta 3 or even a Bayonetta 2: Special Edition if it was remade from the ground up on Sega's own money. With that said, if they were going to do that it would have made more sense to fund Bayonetta 2 on their own in the first place.

Depends on if B2 does well. If it does, then Sega might want to capitalize and start funding Bayo games again, on multiple platforms.

TDLink

Maybe if we all had an open mind we'd get less upset when people say things we disagree with. Would be nice, I think.

Sure he might be lying, maybe. The actual fact though is that all evidence points to the contrary at the moment. There is nothing to point towards a port ever actually happening other than "they might be lying" and some people hoping for various reasons. It isn't that people don't have open minds, it is that people are being realistic while you're trying to think of any possible reason to keep this debate from last fall after the game's initial reveal going.

Raist

Banned
But it does mean that Sega would have to get the Publishing rights to the game from Nintendo to make it on other consoles.

What because you think Nintendo has the publishing rights for any platform? Nintendo will publish the game worldwide on the WiiU. That's it. Publishing rights doesn't mean ownership.

Does Nintendo have rights to "Bayonetta: reloaded revengeance born to kill" edition, that is the direct sequel to the Sega published title "Bayonetta"? Does Sega need permission to put that game on other consoles?
Sega totally doing this after canceling bayo2 and almost not publishing anarchy reigns in the west. Yeah. But I stop from here. Gets ridiculous.

Majukun

if you make an "updated" version of bayo 2,you are using the "vanilla" code of bayo 2 anyway,just like if you write a book and i want to make an "updated" version of it,i will still use the pages that YOU wrote.That is the code nintendo paid for,and it's theirs.If sega want to have a bayo 2 on 360 or ps3,they have to start from scratch and made "their" bayo 2,using none of the assets or using the code of the game that nintendo funded.
but at that point,wouldn't made mch more sense to make a bayo 3 multiplatform?

the evidence for point 2 cames from the twit that sega made,saying that they have no part in the development of the game.

Sure he might be lying, maybe. The actual fact though is that all evidence points to the contrary at the moment. There is nothing to point towards a port ever actually happening other than "they might be lying" and some people hoping for various reasons. It isn't that people don't have open minds, it is that people are being realistic while you're trying to think of any possible reason to keep this debate from last fall after the game's initial reveal going.

It's not a stretch to me to imagine they could remake Bayonetta 2 with a special edition name for other platforms in a few years. It's pretty commonplace. I mean, Microsoft have published a ton of XBLA games which then end up on other platforms. We just don't know to what extent this publishing agreement extends.

SmokeMaxX

Nintendo has rights to Bayonetta 2A. If Sega wants to make Bayonetta 2B from scratch, they can. They CAN'T make Bayonetta 2A: Renamed Edition without Nintendo's permission. Are you guys really that stupid?

Person: Hey developer, make this game for Xbox/Playstation!
Developer: Ask Nintendo, they are publishing.
Person: Clearly there's a chance for this to be on Xbox/Playstation!

Nintendo: Hey Sega, let me pay PG to make a sequel to Bayonetta.
Sega: Alright, that's fine but we can publish it on other consoles if we want.
Nintendo: Sounds GREAT! We'll definitely pay for development for an exclusive (to get people to buy our console) so that you can port it to other consoles (which would mean people don't have to buy our console).

gogogow

It's not a stretch to me to imagine they could remake Bayonetta 2 with a special edition name for other platforms in a few years. It's pretty commonplace. I mean, Microsoft have published a ton of XBLA games which then end up on other platforms. We just don't know to what extent this publishing agreement extends.

Published AND funded?

if you make an "updated" version of bayo 2,you are using the "vanilla" code of bayo 2 anyway,just like if you write a book and i want to make an "updated" version of it,i will still use the pages that YOU wrote.That is the code nintendo paid for,and it's theirs.If sega want to have a bayo 2 on 360 or ps3,they have to start from scratch and made "their" bayo 2,using none of the assets or using the code of the game that nintendo funded.
but at that point,wouldn't made mch more sense to make a bayo 3 multiplatform?

the evidence for point 2 cames from the twit that sega made,saying that they have no part in the development of the game.

Citation needed.

MS published Gears of War and Ninja Gaiden. Does that mean they own the code?

7threst

Publishing isn't the same as paying for development...

And if Sega wasn't interested in making a Bayonetta 2, they aren't interested in making a Bayonetta 2 for other consoles.

omonimo

Banned
Nintendo has rights to Bayonetta 2A. If Sega wants to make Bayonetta 2B from scratch, they can. They CAN'T make Bayonetta 2A: Renamed Edition without Nintendo's permission. Are you guys really that stupid?

Person: Hey developer, make this game for Xbox/Playstation!
Developer: Ask Nintendo, they are publishing.
Person: Clearly there's a chance for this to be on Xbox/Playstation!

Nintendo: Hey Sega, let me pay PG to make a sequel to Bayonetta.
Sega: Alright, that's fine but we can publish it on other consoles if we want.
Nintendo: Sounds GREAT! We'll definitely pay for development for an exclusive (to get people to buy our console) so that you can port it to other consoles (which would mean people don't have to buy our console).

Uh... why someone should be stupid to think it? Could happen, not for sure, but it's not illegal. Jeez how people become angry so easily.

TDLink

No, it is absolutely a stretch. This isn't some independent game on XBLA that Microsoft is publishing. Nintendo is funding the development of Bayonetta 2 and publishing it worldwide. We don't know the full specifics of the contract but we do know that Nintendo owns the Bayonetta 2 code. SEGA can't release it on another platform without Nintendo's permission, even if they iterate on it. SEGA could release a game called "Bayonetta 2" on another system if it was built from the ground up with new code, which in reality is never going to happen.

Wait. MS funded the development of Gears and NG? That's news to me.

MS definitely funds Gears.

No, it is absolutely a stretch. This isn't some independent game on XBLA that Microsoft is publishing. Nintendo is funding the development of Bayonetta 2 and publishing it worldwide. We don't know the full specifics of the contract but we do know that Nintendo owns the Bayonetta 2 code. SEGA can't release it on another platform without Nintendo's permission, even if they iterate on it. SEGA could release a game called "Bayonetta 2" on another system if it was built from the ground up with new code, which in reality is never going to happen.

You don't know if they own the code. And even if they did, isn't that kind of a hard thing to enforce? Where do you draw the line between "same code" and "different code". Isn't the code automatically "new" just by virtue of being on different platform? Or are we just talking about assets?

What because you think Nintendo has the publishing rights for any platform? Nintendo will publish the game worldwide on the WiiU. That's it. Publishing rights doesn't mean ownership.
No, but the fact that they're at least partially funding it does. Do you really think Nintendo is going to put money into something and then just let Sega take it and have other consoles have what they helped pay to make without charging them something?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Was RE4 funded by Nintendo by any chance?
No technically not, but it was part of the Capcom 5, the set of 5 Capcom nintendo exclusive made purely to support the GCN which I believe Nintendos did pay for, technically they funded it I guess, or more like they funded the PS2 version lol

Top Bottom