• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

zroid

Banned
I think the fact Nintendo's given out two F-Zero games in the last couple years for free (or nearly free) to its early adopters shows they know their most loyal fans crave it.

They will make a new one in due course.

DR2K

Banned
It's ridiculous to blame the platform change on consumers.

In this specific case the fault lies entirely on consumers. Sega did a great job with Bayonetta on all fronts, it was advertised, it was a quality title, etc. . . it just didn't sell like it should have. Nintendo saw its potential and raised Bayonetta from the dead.

What happens when they're both massive losses like most Platinum games?
Sega and Platinum are not dead. So I assume they where not massive losses. Just not what Sega thought they would be. Also Kojipro said they where baffled how well thought through the development cost of their ( p*) games are. So if they don't sell 12mio, probably nothing happens.

Cipherr

Reading this thread is a little shocking. Shouldn't we have moved on through the stages of grief, and full into "Bayonetta sucked anyways!" mode by now? Surprising to see so much misplaced hope for a multiplat or 'Sigma' here.

What happens when they're both massive losses like most Platinum games?

Assuming that did happen, they sure as shit wouldn't go porting it to competing platforms.... that much is certain, so...

The Wonderful 101 has absolutely 0% chance of being on another platform. Bayonetta 2 is another story though, Sega may be willing to whip out the cash and port the game to other platforms by themselves since they own the IP, although there may be contracts with Nintedo that prevents this.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
In this specific case the fault lies entirely on consumers. Sega did a great job with Bayonetta on all fronts, it was advertised, it was a quality title, etc. . . it just didn't sell like it should have. Nintendo saw its potential and raised Bayonetta from the dead.

The problem with this logic is that it only works in retrospect.

At the time no consumer is thinking "man I better buy this if I want a sequel". They're thinking that they have no idea what the hell Bayonetta is, if they're thinking of it at all.

Most of the fanbase picked the game up later due to good word of mouth and like it just as much as someone who might paid 60 for it day 1.

So I don't see the point in suggesting they were wrong for that, or yelling "you should have known better" when no rational consumer makes decisions in the moment like that.

farnham

Banned

At the time no consumer is thinking "man I better buy this if I want a sequel". They're thinking that they have no idea what the hell Bayonetta is, if they're thinking of it at all.

Most of the fanbase picked the game up later due to good word of mouth and like it just as much as someone who might paid 60 for it day 1.

So I don't see the point in suggesting they were wrong for that, or yelling "you should have known better" when no rational consumer makes decisions in the moment like that.

I really hope nintendo will release bayonetta 2 on other platforms so that we can finally stop discussing that insignificant game as if it was anything significant

DR2K

Banned

So I don't see the point in uggesting they were wrong for that, or yelling "you should have known better" when no rational consumer makes decisions in the moment like that.

At the same time, if no one buys CoD or Mario, then they won't be made. It applies for everything. Demand must be shown, it's a rule with any product. The choice is made with the money you use. For Sega and Bayonetta it wasn't enough, Nintendo stepped in and is taking a major risk. They're developing(funding) a sequal to a game their userbase is unaware of.

Satch

Banned

I didn't say "You should have known better."

I'm saying "Stop being surprised."

Persona7

Banned
Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 to send a message to the core.

We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if PS3/360 owners grabbed this game when it mattered most the first time around.

Console wars are the worst thing.

Apparently Bayonetta on PS3 and 360 is platinums highest selling game to date.

ArjanN

I don't think this is worth commenting upon unless we know what SEGA's intentions are here. They own the Bayonetta IP, so I can see a situation where they can put out a sigma edition after their crafty lawyers find a loophole to whatever they contracted with Nintendo. 100% convinced SEGA would not as it would be a pretty daft mid-long term move.

SEGA burning bridges by getting one over on Nintendo doesn't really make much sense.

A more likely scenario is Nintendo not really caring much if SEGA ports it like a year+ later, when they've sold all the copies they're going to anyway.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
At the same time, if no one buys CoD or Mario, then they won't be made. It applies for everything. Demand must be shown, it's a rule with any product. The choice is made with the money you use. For Sega and Bayonetta it wasn't enough, Nintendo stepped in and is taking a major risk. They're developing(funding) a sequal to a game their userbase is unaware of.

I don't think it's ever that cut and dry though. Especially in the business world of a creative medium when a new IP is involved. (I mean assuming you're 100% correct in your assumption, why was Bayonetta 2 ever in production to begin with?)

but this conversation is taking a turn towards a direction I'm not particularly interested in so I'll bow out here.

TDLink

I really hope nintendo will release bayonetta 2 on other platforms so that we can finally stop discussing that insignificant game as if it was anything significant

You're wrong. Bayonetta is the best third person action game made thus far. People knew this before Bayonetta 2 was even a twinkle in Kamiya's eye as well.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, but I think it only shipped (not sold) a million copies by combining both platforms in all regions, not really an impressive achievement. They were even giving it away with Vanquish in some regions.

Raist

Banned
There's a Wipeout on 64!?

How old is this series!? :O

It was an early PS1 title. 1994 or 1995.

they didn't even have a console in 1993,how is that possible?
and i don't remember them being a software house at that time too.

They bought them because they wanted them to make games for their upcoming console.
Fun fact: Psygnosis more or less create the PS1 dev kits.

Satch

Banned

And yet that still wasn't enough to make it worthwhile for Sony or MS to keep the game on their systems.

("Highest selling game to date" is low hanging fruit for Platinum, considering how low their sales always are, especially considering their quality. ;_____;)

Pour one out for Vanquish. ;___________________________________;

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
all i am going to say is that Sega owns the IP right. just because nintendis selling main nothing to sega....just like MS was selling NG2 and they put up alot of money for that game also.

Effect

I hate that it has gotten to the point where we need confirmation about these games. :(

However anyone that is interested in these games and upset that Rayman Legends was delayed needs to buy these games. Use your wallet to let your voice be heard. Money is the only thing that matters here. Make these two games a success and that will go a long way to making third parties change their ways when they see the money they're losing out on. If not it shows Nintendo want and will buy more games like this and they'll increase production. The same goes of Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate if you are at all interested in it. If $60 is to much for that game then look at the 3DS version instead if you have a 3DS as that version will be cheaper.

Buy games that are on time and where work has clearly been put in if you are at all interested in playing the game. I'm not saying buy games you aren't interested in though. Don't waste money like that.

farnham

Banned
You're wrong. Bayonetta is the best third person action game made thus far. People knew this before Bayonetta 2 was even a twinkle in Kamiya's eye as well.

If something is good or not is subjective. Fact is it sold under 5 million copies. Nintendo is funding this for maybe a potential 500k world wide (as most of the ps360 users will not buy a wiiu). Its money that nintendo can spend on making other wii__ titles that will sell significantly better and actually sell systems.

So nintendo should just terminate whatever publishing deal they made and put in the money where it belongs. In their own first prty development.

Terrell

all i am going to say is that Sega owns the IP right. just because nintendis selling it but MS was selling NG2 and they put up alot of money for that game also.

So Sega's suddenly going to change their mind about canceling the game because Nintendo's involved? This isn't a platform maker buying exclusivity to keep it off of other platforms the 3rd-party intended to release it for.

And the phrase "don't shit where you eat" comes into play here, too.

As for Sega owning the IP? Let's wait on that one a little while longer.

sd28821

I was going to get in to this whole thing about how Nintendo published games like Ouendan and the Sin & Punishments and even made sequels and different versions for localizations but then I just got sad that no one is willing to acknowledge (much less buy) these games.

Sigh.

its sad yet it also reminds me of when they make new ips.

Persona7

Banned
So Sega's suddenly going to change their mind about canceling the game because Nintendo's involved? This isn't a platform maker buying exclusivity to keep it off of other platforms the 3rd-party intended to release it for.

And the phrase "don't shit where you eat" comes into play here, too.

As for Sega owning the IP? Let's wait on that one a little while longer.

It is pretty cut and dry, the Sega logo on the Bayonetta 2 trailers pretty much confirms that they still retain the rights and just licensed it out.

Gintamen

How does a release on all consoles stop it from being discussed. What kind of logic are you trying to apply here? The "I'm sour" one or the "I don't care for a game and still post in the thread" one?

Scoops

Banned
Well, Bayonetta 2 probably depends on how big of a role Sega has with its publication, given that Razor's Edge was a Nintendo published release but is hitting PS3/360 anyway. W101 is definitely Nintendo through and through pending some surprises I didn't know about (which would remind me of not knowing Monolith Soft developed Disaster when it was unveiled at E3.)

Too my knowledge Nintendo didn't fund Razor Edge's development like it is with B2 and W101. That's the difference.

Terrell

Yeah. Who's to say that Nintendo won't buy the IP in the future? It's possible after all. There's nothing that prevents them from going to Sega and buying it.
:p

Considering that Sega values it enough to cancel development on a sequel?
Sega could stand to benefit more from the short-term money they'd gain selling it at this point, since it's unlikely Platinum would go back to them for a 3rd game in the series after what happened with 2.

farnham

Banned
Too my knowledge Nintendo didn't fund Razor Edge's development like it is with B2 and W101. That's the difference.

yeah razors edge is just ng3 with a few features of NG2 and some additional characters. maybe nintendo funded that few features. i doubt it though

Shame that a couple of sales of this game will be lost due the feigned ignorance and just plain denial of people saying it could hit other consoles. It has become a stealth port begging campaign worthy of fox News.
You can't blame us for not buying a new console for a sequal going exclusive onto another console, :p

Maztorre

If something is good or not is subjective. Fact is it sold under 5 million copies. Nintendo is funding this for maybe a potential 500k world wide (as most of the ps360 users will not buy a wiiu). Its money that nintendo can spend on making other wii__ titles that will sell significantly better and actually sell systems.

So nintendo should just terminate whatever publishing deal they made and put in the money where it belongs. In their own first prty development.

Cool, more crazy talk. Which do you think is more plausible:

a) Sega approaches Nintendo with Bayonetta 2, upon seeing this Nintendo immediately pulls funds from EAD and Intelligent Systems and says "sorry guys Mario Universe and Fire Emblem will have to wait, we're buying a game off Sega!!!!!!"

b) Sega approaches Nintendo with Bayonetta 2, upon seeing this Nintendo withdraws funds from their own reserves used for acquisitions and publishing deals, affecting none of their internal development.

farnham

Banned
Cool, more crazy talk. Which do you think is more plausible:

a) Sega approaches Nintendo with Bayonetta 2, upon seeing this Nintendo immediately pulls funds from EAD and Intelligent Systems and says "sorry guys Mario Universe and Fire Emblem will have to wait, we're buying a game off Sega!!!!!!"

b) Sega approaches Nintendo with Bayonetta 2, upon seeing this Nintendo withdraws funds from their own reserves used for acquisitions and publishing deals, affecting none of their internal development.

what im saying is that they should use that money aggresively in buying studios or hiring people rather than funding Ip that wasnt very succesful in the first place

Maztorre

what im saying is that they should use that money aggresively in buying studios or hiring people rather than funding Ip that wasnt very succesful in the first place

They're hiring right now. Funding Bayonetta 2 doesn't affect their spending on internal development. That's like saying Sony buying Gaikai means that the God of War team will be understaffed. Nintendo would have seperate funding allocations for internal development, acquisitions and partnership deals as well as other capital for events like what happened with Bayonetta 2.

You underestimate Bayonetta 2's role in Nintendo's library as well. It fills gaps that Nintendo's first party software doesn't cover, and serves as one more attractive factor for a segment of users. For example, Wonderful 101 would probably be ignored by many 360/PS3 owners despite being a game made by Bayonetta's director, but now there are suddenly 2 game series associated with Hideki Kamiya/Platinum on the system. The WiiU is a more valid purchase for action game fans because of this.

Meesh

It may not be a significant game, but I think what it symbolizes is. Plainly Nintendos efforts to secure third party exclusives, they obviously see the value in the game/ip so they're going to go through some lengths to see it succeeds and I hope it does. If anything, maybe this will give Nintendo brass the balls they need to take similar measures with other properties. :)

I like my WiiU, and the knowledge that Bayonetta 2 looks like it's gonna be exclusive to the platform really makes me feel good about owning the system.

Despite Kamiya specifically saying that it is up to Nintendo, which means it will never see any other platform, people still believe that this one may be ported two?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yes. And we've seen weirder things happen.

Wipeout64.jpg
I always wondered what the story was behind this; I think that Psygnosis had been owned by Sony for a few years when this came out, and it's not like that Sony wasn't pushing Wipeout decently at the time, too.

There's a Wipeout on 64!?

How old is this series!? :O
Looking back that game's release was so strange. How did it get released?
Wipeout was released on Saturn as well (original and sequel), and before the 64 version.

they didn't even have a console in 1993,how is that possible?
and i don't remember them being a software house at that time too.
Sony released quite a few games back then, Sony Imagesoft was the name IIRC.

The only reasonable explanation that I can think of was that Psygnosis had SOE-levels of autonomy before being restructured into Studio Liverpool, which allowed that to happen. I just can't imagine anything else.
Probably, really have no idea how they allowed it.

Top Bottom