• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

sonicmj1

I've played for nearly ten hours now, and the end of the game at least appears to be close. But I dunno.

Whose bright idea was it to put one of the awesomest boss battles ever in the same chapter as that excessively long Space Harrier tribute?

Volcynika

sonicmj1 said:
I've played for nearly ten hours now, and the end of the game at least appears to be close. But I dunno.

Whose bright idea was it to put one of the awesomest boss battles ever in the same chapter as that excessively long Space Harrier tribute?

Yeah, I wish there was a way to skip Space Harrier segment and go straight to the battle.

Started playing it again on hard.

Holy fuck! Died 18 times on the first chapter but still managed to clear it, even though it stopped counting after the first five deaths.
Just after Jeanne shows up and you have to get 3 torture kills without witchtime is where my death spree began.

But man, did it feel so good finishing that.

Yes, I realize I suck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
koshunter said:
Started playing it again on hard.

Holy fuck! Died 18 times on the first chapter but still managed to clear it, even though it stopped counting after the first five deaths.
Just after Jeanne shows up and you have to get 3 torture kills without witchtime is where my death spree began.

But man, did it feel so good finishing that.

Yes, I realize I suck.
That part is unnecessarily hard due to the bizarre camera angle. Don't feel too bad.

Canova

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
Haven't you heard? Nowadays it's NGB v. DMC3 v. God Hand v. Bayonetta

You're living in the past, friend.

no the other poster is correct

NGB vs DMC3:SE is the classic. No game, I repeat no game can approach those two in the action genre. Bayonetta is still a child's play compare to those 2

Keikoku

Banned
canova said:

NGB vs DMC3:SE is the classic. No game, I repeat no game can approach those two in the action genre. Bayonetta is still a child's play compare to those 2

Really ? I only played the demo of Bayonetta and I thought that it was very promising compared to NGB/DMC3. Also, you forget God Hand.

canova said:

Have you played Bayonetta or God Hand? They both give NGB and DMC3SE a run for their money, and in Bayonetta's case may even surpass the two.

andymcc

Banned
canova said:

:lol :lol :lol

Sell me on this game. I love DMC1, but the demo feels like DMC4 on steroids. What I want to know from people who have the game already is, how does the enemy AI stack up? Do normal enemies have fun and interesting fighting styles like the Shadows in DMC1, or are they fodder like the giant angel in the demo? How's the difficulty for normal mode compared to the demo, because it felt like auto play a little bit to me. How useful are the different weapons in different situations, or is it one-size-fits-all like DMC4?

Aside from all the crazy shit going on in the story and the minigames and novelty camera angle changes, what's the level of the gameplay compared to say, God Hand and Ninja Gaiden? Does it feel more like a combo fest or a series of fights with real opponents?

Good:
DMC1 - shadows, nelo angelo
DMC3 - agni & rudra, vergil
DMC4 - Credo, Dante
NGB - Murai, Alma, Doku, incendiary ninjas
God Hand - Everything

Bad:
any giant monster that just sits there and lets you swing at it, or weird gimmicky fights

Were those the ice things that you just toss around with the devil bringer all the time?

edit: oh the lighting things. those fights just kinda dragged on for longer than I'd like. It just felt like a cycle of animations to me. Every time they popped up on the tower I'd be like great, these guys again, here goes another 20 seconds of jumping and rolling until I can DT and stab him a couple times.

God's Beard, your favorite parts of the action games you listed are the same as mine, so I'm pretty confident that you are going to love Bayonetta. The game is a beautiful hybrid of DMC, NG, and God Hand.

Well, if I trust anyone in this thread, it's you. I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything you've said on this forum, so I'll give it a shot.

Finished Chapter IV and calling it a night. Holy fuck at this game. Any skepticism I may have once had about it has pretty much been obliterated by the sheer epic awesomeness.

At worst you probably won't love the gimmicky
Outrun and Afterburner sequences seeing as they don't rely on the skills you've honed up until that point. They aren't even bad, just too long.
You'll probably love taking on Bayonetta's rival, Jeanne, as her abilities are similar to your own. You do fight giant bosses, but unlike most 3d action games this one pulls them off remarkably well.

Well I must say, I just got to chapter 14. Wow, this game does epic like holy shit style. The story is sorta all over the place, and the game sure does want you to have alot of money to upgrade and buy stuff but aside from that. Wow. This is hands down one of the most epic, set peice driven, action masterpeices!

Is it just me, or does the presence of unlock cheats that require millions of halos begrudge the fact that they left the halo exploits in the game on purpose?

a Master Ninja said:
At worst you probably won't love the gimmicky
Outrun and Afterburner sequences seeing as they don't rely on the skills you've honed up until that point. They aren't even bad, just too long.
You'll probably love taking on Bayonetta's rival, Jeanne, as her abilities are similar to your own. You do fight giant bosses, but unlike most 3d action games this one pulls them off remarkably well.

The minigames don't bother me nearly as much as all these giant bosses do. It just bothers me, I can't remember any action game where they're been fun. Normal enemies and small bosses have that CAVE shooter twitch feeling that you just don't seem to get from the larger enemies. The quickness just isn't really there. Other than Jeanne, I haven't seen other small, intense fights, and the larger bosses I've been exposed to in reviews and trailers and such don't seem to be radically different than what I've fought in other games. I hope that I'm wrong, of course.

God's Beard said:
Other than Jeanne, I haven't seen other small, intense fights, and the larger bosses I've been exposed to in reviews and trailers and such don't seem to be radically different than what I've fought in other games. I hope that I'm wrong, of course.
The basic angels don't put up much of a fight but I think other common enemies like Joy or Grace & Glory will provide what you're looking for.

Okay, I am dying a lot more than I should be. Either I suck or this game is hard as fuck. I've died at least 2 times each chapter other than the prologue (on chapter 6 now). Oh well, I'm having a blast.

Fugu

God's Beard said:
Sell me on this game. I love DMC1, but the demo feels like DMC4 on steroids. What I want to know from people who have the game already is, how does the enemy AI stack up? Do normal enemies have fun and interesting fighting styles like the Shadows in DMC1, or are they fodder like the giant angel in the demo? How's the difficulty for normal mode compared to the demo, because it felt like auto play a little bit to me. How useful are the different weapons in different situations, or is it one-size-fits-all like DMC4?

Aside from all the crazy shit going on in the story and the minigames and novelty camera angle changes, what's the level of the gameplay compared to say, God Hand and Ninja Gaiden? Does it feel more like a combo fest or a series of fights with real opponents?

Good:
DMC4 - Credo, Dante
God Hand - Everything

Bad:
any giant monster that just sits there and lets you swing at it, or weird gimmicky fights
Normal isn't difficult. On normal, my deaths by QTEs were certainly greater than my deaths by enemies. It's enjoyable, but it's not hard. I've a feeling it was designed so that people unfamiliar to the genre would be able to beat it, assuming they had no regard for doing so with any expertise.
The game becomes much more difficult on hard, and it's somewhere on hard where you'll realise just how deep the combat system is and how much better the experience will be if you take advantage of it. Dodge Offset is a wonderful thing.

On normal, you'll fight a fair share of fodder. Not too much, but the generic angels aren't likely to take you down any time soon. As you progress through the chapters and difficulties, the fodder becomes increasingly rare. I would say that the vast majority of the game's enemies are not fodder; the game just so happens to throw a disproportionately large amount of them at you in the first few chapters.
The fighting styles of the enemies is a big part of what makes the game work. Outside of the generic angels, no two enemies are really alike, and there's no single strategy that will knock down every enemy (hell, there probably isn't a single strategy that will knock down two different enemies).

The game throws a lot of weapons at you, and a few of them are purely situational. Weapons like the (minor spoiler, Chapter V maybe?)
whip
are only useful some of the time due to their nature, whereas some, like the (somewhat larger spoiler, probably about midgame)
ice skates
are all-purpose and can be used in every situation, with the choice coming down largely to personal preference. The game lets you mix and match to balance between, say, slow and fast, so there's no shortage of options. The Alfheim portals are really where the weapon selection shows though, as some virtually require you to use weapons you wouldn't have otherwise (and in some cases, give you an opportunity to discover things you didn't know they did).

As a big fan of both DMC3 and NGB, the more I play of Bayonetta, the more I'm finding that it trumps them both. You just can't beat the combat system. It takes awhile for it to become necessary to utilize it to the full extent (you could probably get most -- if not all -- of the way through hard without ever having to parry or counter) but when it does, it's absolutely fantastic.

EDIT: If you don't like large bosses (because they're large, and not because they're slow) you may have a problem, although they get pretty speedy.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I'm probably the only dissenting opinion in this thread, but I don't 'get' this game. I'm somewhere around chapter 10, and I've lost interest in continuing. They're recycling bosses at this point, and the game just isn't fun. I'm playing on normal difficulty, and it's too difficult for me. The deaths come often and it ends up being more frustrating than fun.

It's too bad too, because there's a lot to like about the game. The graphics are amazing. Some of the landscapes are gorgeous. Bayonetta is a cool character with a lot of style. The movelist is deeper than a single character in a fighting game when you factor in all the different weapons you can equip.

I just think they messed up the game balance in a big way. This game will never be a mainstream success because it is too hard-core for its own good. Normal difficulty (the default setting) feels like a hard difficulty, and I'm sure casual gamers will be just as turned off by the constant dying. Regular enemies can deal over 75% damage to your health bar in one combo. That's not good game balance. It's masochistic, which is the way I feel about a lot of the encounters. It reminds me of a 16-bit platformer where you have to make timed jumps on moving platforms while enemies randomly shoot at you from the sidelines. You don't make games like this any more, because games have gone mainstream. That's not even mentioning the boss fights, where the deaths really start to pile up.

The economy sucks in this game too. Unless you're playing at an S-type level, you're not going to have enough money to buy many moves or items. Moves like the aerial dodge should have been available off the bat. In order to buy the moves you want, you have to go back and farm previous levels, which is tedious.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why not play on Easy? it's there for a reason. ;)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Rez said:
why not play on Easy? it's there for a reason. ;)

I play games on their default difficulty setting, because I figure that's how the designers want the game to be played.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
true, but often times games like this are balanced for people who are going to spend the time learning each strategy separately, and replay levels for more items, or play for mastery (usually I'm not that guy, but yeah).

Plus, playing on Easy is pretty much meant to be the more casual option, it can be a really good lead in for higher difficulties in this game, because while you still control the character a basic style of moves you initiate, it will often simplify the more complex combos for you, so that you can see what works on certain enemies. It's at that point you can say to yourself 'ah, that combo worked super-well on that group of enemies, I'm going to learn to trigger it myself and add it into my general play-style', therefore making playing on Normal and above much easier. Monkey-see, monkey-do -- you know?

Of course, all this is kind of null and void if it's like DMC and you can't change difficulty without starting the game again.

Eggo said:
I play games on their default difficulty setting, because I figure that's how the designers want the game to be played.

It is how the game is meant to be played by the desired audience. The audience in this case is the masochistic types that love to be challenged by tough enemies. If you're complaining about that, clearly you need to knock the difficulty down. I mean really, don't complain the game is too hard when there's a giant "make the game easier" button in front of you. THAT's masochism.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Eggo said:

Games are never meant to be played in a specific way, the designers just want the players to have fun...that's where the easier difficulties come in.

Dahbomb

canova said:

If you had said this statement 6 months ago, I would've been with you. After playing only s small sample of Bayonetta I can say that Bayonetta comes dangerously close to those 2 and even surpassing them in some ways.

NGB, DMC3SE and Bayonetta all are God Tier action games along with DMC1 and probably even Godhand.

However I cannot say for sure yet if Bayonetta is better than those 2 because I have not played the full version. It's going to take about 100+ hours of play on Bayonetta to see if it surpasses the other games in that tier because that was the extent of depth for those games.

Bayonetta has to be grounded to its bare bones and put to the test countless times before someone can say where it really belongs.

God's Beard said:

Good:
DMC4 - Credo, Dante
God Hand - Everything

Bad:
You have the same concerns as me and I can tell you that you will like this game for sure. The enemies are more aggressive than the ones in DMC4, there is a huge list of weapons (unlike with DMC4 where it's a one fit all kind of thing). You also have a Vergil-like boss battle in this game so it delivers on that front.

To be honest, the game is like a hybrid of all the games that you mentioned with even a bit of NG sprinkled in it. It's like everything of DMC1, DMC3 and Godhand mixed into one and then turned up a few notches.

Like the game has a lot of combo potential but the fights do feel like actual fights as in you have to disarm enemies (take out their armor) or dodge them properly. It's a skill based game, you will be rewarded for playing skillfully and that is the core of what makes an action game a good action game.

Fugu

Eggo said:
I'm probably the only dissenting opinion in this thread, but I don't 'get' this game. I'm somewhere around chapter 10, and I've lost interest in continuing. They're recycling bosses at this point, and the game just isn't fun. I'm playing on normal difficulty, and it's too difficult for me. The deaths come often and it ends up being more frustrating than fun.

It's too bad too, because there's a lot to like about the game. The graphics are amazing. Some of the landscapes are gorgeous. Bayonetta is a cool character with a lot of style. The movelist is deeper than a single character in a fighting game when you factor in all the different weapons you can equip.

I just think they messed up the game balance in a big way. This game will never be a mainstream success because it is too hard-core for its own good. Normal difficulty (the default setting) feels like a hard difficulty, and I'm sure casual gamers will be just as turned off by the constant dying. Regular enemies can deal over 75% damage to your health bar in one combo. That's not good game balance. It's masochistic, which is the way I feel about a lot of the encounters. It reminds me of a 16-bit platformer where you have to make timed jumps on moving platforms while enemies randomly shoot at you from the sidelines. You don't make games like this any more, because games have gone mainstream. That's not even mentioning the boss fights, where the deaths really start to pile up.

The economy sucks in this game too. Unless you're playing at an S-type level, you're not going to have enough money to buy many moves or items. Moves like the aerial dodge should have been available off the bat. In order to buy the moves you want, you have to go back and farm previous levels, which is tedious.
The game compensates for this by making it literally impossible to fail. You can die as many times as you want and it'll still let you continue from where you left off.

sonicmj1

Thought I'd go back to the game for a bit two hours ago. I beat the game.

Wow. The ending sequence really impresses. One of the later chapters is a bit of a drag (and earned me my first Stone award), but after that, the game never lets up, and somehow tops itself time after time. One of my most rewarding completions ever.

I'm probably going to go back through Normal and try to clean up the levels before I move on to Hard. I could play this game for a long, long time.

DihcarEM

So i'm almost trough hard mode, how diffecult is infinite climax mode and what changes with it? Is it like Dante must die mode?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh man, finally experimented with the katana in the demo

OH MAH GOD

BeeDog

I caved in and ordered the Climax Edition from Play. :( God, let's hope I can overcome or suppress my reactions over the technical issues, since the demo was great fun (although the demo didn't bother me too much, I just hope it at least performs the same).

:D

Shito

Eggo said:
And clearly the designers wanted the game to be a little difficult.
There's no problem with a game being *hard*, hell it seems nowadays every player expect to be able to finish a game with ease, never dying more than once on the same obstacle!
Difficulty becomes an issue when it starts being unfair, which is not the case in Bayonetta - except for those rare QTE abominations (yeah, QTE should die, but that's another debate).

To be quite honest, Bayonetta, on its standard difficulty setting, is probably the easiest of the Holy Trinity games: try and play NGB or DMC3, and you'll see how much you love those nicely placed checkpoints in Bayonetta! ^^

DihcarEM said:
So i'm almost trough hard mode, how diffecult is infinite climax mode and what changes with it? Is it like Dante must die mode?
No Witch Time.
Yep.

Peff

DihcarEM said:
Damn, and how is the enemy AI, normal or hard mode?

Damage is also a lot bigger and the AI is aggresive, but still, you can activate Witch Time with the moon of Mahaa Kalaa and damage enemies by dodging with an accessory. Enemies don't enter a devil trigger mode like in Dante Must Die or anything so it's really up to your ability.

EDIT: Yes there is, press select on said screens.

-Winnie-

Question: Is there a kind of training mode like the loading screens where you can just practice moves for as long as you want?

Top Bottom