• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta has a mode which caters to the true Ninja Dogs

Haunted

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh come off it.

If all you want to do is watch a game play itself why bother buying it in the first place?
Metal Gear Solid still sells pretty well!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It's a stupid option because more or less it gives a solution to every encounter in the game. A boss giving you trouble? Well you could spend many attempts learning their moves, tactics, and behaviors or you could just watch the superplay located on the disc.

It's one thing to look up the answers on the internet but to have it within such easy reach is just ridiculous.
If it helps people to play and enjoy Bayonetta it did its job. I fail to see how having a "very easy" difficulty mode available is a bad thing.

ShockingAlberto said:
Faqs are optional, too.

Walkthroughs, strategy guides, easy modes, hints, asking friends, etc.

I'm not sure what this does that those don't?
EmCeeGramr said:
yes because optional means that you don't have to use it
Exactly.

Haunted said:
If it helps people to play and enjoy Bayonetta it did its job. I fail to see how having a "very easy" difficulty mode available is a bad thing.

Exactly.

Nobody is complaining about very easy modes. People are complaining about this stupid mode that knowledgeable devs spent days and days making, while the game I will assure you will not be 100% polished...considering there is no such thing as a game that is perfectly polished.

Wasting time on this crap is a bad thing.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oh no! one of our patented hardcore titles is taking steps to not overwhelm newcomers? We don't want those plebeians playing our game, they probably don't even know who Kamiya-san is! Fuck Sega for turning this into a casual hugging competition completely disregarding the true intentions of Platinum.

I call for boycott.

dralla

2eofl00.gif

Brobzoid said:
oh no! one of our patented hardcore titles is taking steps to not overwhelm newcomers? We don't want those plebeians playing our game, they probably don't even know who Kamiya-san is! Fuck Sega for turning this into a casual hugging competition completely disregarding the true intentions of Platinum.

I call for boycott.

If they wanted to actually teach new comers they would have spent more time on more tutorials and training modes. How is pressing the y button over and over again going to help anyone?

CultureClearance said:
Nobody is complaining about very easy modes. People are complaining about this stupid mode that knowledgeable devs spent days and days making, while the game I will assure you will not be 100% polished...considering there is no such thing as a game that is perfectly polished.

A) The game was delayed after it was intended to be finished, entirely because Winter is too crowded. They probably had more time than they knew what to do with.

B) This kind of thing can be done by anyone. Hell, Sonic Team could have programmed it, they have a lot of experience in watching games play themselves.

Haunted

_leech_ said:
Which is fine, but they put that mode in there for certain people to use... and in that case I have to ask, why the fuck would an inexperienced/new/casual player want to pay $60 if this is the kind of experience they're going to get?
Maybe because this provides a more enjoyable experience to them? Kicking ass and watching the animations play out is probably more enjoyable to them than memorising moves and button combos, replaying levels several times because they died...

And who are we to say how the game should be played "properly"? That's up to the creators, if anyone.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Now I'm quite sure this very easy playthrough of Bayonetta isn't going to explain everything there is to know about the game but eh..slippery slope. God Forbid developers don't just start tossing optimal playthroughs in future games.
Or packing strategy guides into the box!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Aside from the easy mode who's responsible for those other sources you mentioned? Other gamers of course. Sure they can't figure out everything there is to know about a game(hell we're still learning stuff about NES games) but even in more competitive genres like fighters and 2D shooters gamers still work together to learn everything there is to know and do more than just beat the game. The game has to be mastered, broken, mangled, and then tossed back to the developers looking like a twisted pile of scrap.

Now I'm quite sure this very easy playthrough of Bayonetta isn't going to explain everything there is to know about the game but eh..slippery slope. God Forbid developers don't just start tossing optimal playthroughs in future games.
But we've had built-in codes for years. God Modes, ammo cheats, etc.

GTA is no less of a game because you can get all the weapons at your beck and call.

Brobzoid said:

I call for boycott.

Oh FFS.

ShockingAlberto said:

GTA is no less of a game because you can get all the weapons at your beck and call.

Those are just cheats though. They don't really help you figure out what to do in a given situation or how to react when such and such happens.

ShockingAlberto said:
A) The game was delayed after it was intended to be finished, entirely because Winter is too crowded. They probably had more time than they knew what to do with.

B) This kind of thing can be done by anyone. Hell, Sonic Team could have programmed it, they have a lot of experience in watching games play themselves.

You're not in development are you?
If the game is done then they should be moving on to the next project. You think Sega is willing to pay people to screw around?
No, they're not going to get another team to program this. That's nonsense.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
CultureClearance said:
If they wanted to actually teach new comers they would have spent more time on more tutorials and training modes. How is pressing the y button over and over again going to help anyone?
Because the instant gratification of playing the game skillfully (even if assisted) is much more fun and engaging than a tutorial, which quite often are the bane of enjoyment.

I doubt they lost much development time on this as they had their game pushed back due to a crowded season, not because they were behind schedule (i.e. giving them time to do whatevs).

CultureClearance said:
You're not in development are you?
If the game is done then they should be moving on to the next project. You think Sega is willing to pay people to screw around?
No, they're not going to get another team to program this. That's nonsense.
I didn't say it was done. I said their schedule expanded to include past the original Fall date.

As for this

You think Sega is willing to pay people to screw around?
Yeah.

Haunted

CultureClearance said:

Now that approach I could understand better, but I don't think implementing this mode is comparable to situations at Naughty Dog or 2K, where a substantial amount of time and work went into building multiplayer modes for games that didn't really need them.

ShockingAlberto said:
All the better!

KTallguy said:
Some people just want to push buttons and see pretty pictures. That's fine.
Oh fuck, perfect opportunity for another swipe at MGS, I should't have used mine up earlier. :(

ShockingAlberto said:

Those modes are made with gameplay in mind and don't take a serious amount of programming to get to work. Adding ammo for instance is just an integer away. Big Head mode is fairly simple too. God mode is in every game...you just can't get to it. When you test certain situations, testers need a god mode so they don't die in the process of testing something. The same goes for most things like that. They're in the game but get shut off for gold release.

To program the computer to calculate the main character to destroy everything like that video showed takes an immense amount of work, testing and more testing to ensure it doesn't break the rest of the game.

Incidentally, Platinum is not one team that works on one game all the time. After one project is finished, let's say MadWorld, those people get shuffled in to working on Bayonetta. After Bayonetta is finished, some stick around to do things like this and/or work on downloadable content (which isn't applicable here) while the rest move on to a new project.

Alucrid

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The amusing thing to me about this is that a lot of people complaining happily accept QTEs in their games.

How many games are completely made up of QTEs now? Besides, they have you pushing more than one button.

I don't really buy this "THEY'RE USING THEIR BEST DEVELOPERS TO MAKE THIS INSTEAD OF POLISHING THE GAME" insistence without a tiny bit of proof that it isn't people who were otherwise doing nothing.

Ramenman

Alucrid said:
Automatic mode is terrible anyways. It always screws you over since you have no control over what move comes out.

As far as this "Very Easy Automatic Play" mode is concerned, it's a terrible idea. I can understand making games like this easier for the average player, that's fine, but when you give them a fucking win button like this it makes me question what the hell they're doing. I pay to play a game, not have it play itself for me while I jack off to Sar-Bayonetta. Kamiya and the remnants Clover may have made some of my favorite games, but what is this. Now people will say "Oh, just don't select it" but what I don't get is how the hell people have fun playing a game where they press one button.

So basically this option is terrible because you don't see how people could have fun with something that wouldn't amuse you ?

Hm...

Seems kind of silly(I'm all for easy modes but this is a bit overboard). But hey why not? Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.
ShockingAlberto said:
The amusing thing to me about this is that a lot of people complaining happily accept QTEs in their games.
Its really not the same thing.

Haunted

Mr.NiceGuy said:
Why bother playing in this way ? go see a friend playing it or watch it in youtube or something.
Valid alternatives, although there's an argument to be had for kicking ass and pulling off crazy combat moves yourself instead of watching someone else do it.

I know people who have no interest watching someone play Street Fighter (and similar games), but when they get their hands on the controller and button-mash (with absolutely no strategy and no idea what they're actually doing), and they're having a goddamn blast.

Note that this is just one of the groups that would benefit from this.

Alucrid

Banned
Ramenman said:
So basically this option is terrible because you don't see how people could have fun with something that wouldn't amuse you ?

Hm...

Well, if you like sitting there for five hours pressing one button...all the more power to you.

THE Caffeinated said:
Play this with your right hand, FFXII with your left!

Well played, but alas I didn't like the combat in XII though. :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
Awesome, QTE defense!

Never change.

EXCEPT RIGHT NOW PRESS SQUARE OH SHIT

QTE defense? Please. I'm just saying that your comparison isn't all that great since QTEs don't make up entire games, and even then they seem more involved than this Very Easy mode.

NIN90

The complainers are obviously missing the point.
This isn't aimed at the player who would actually seek out and buy the game on their own.
It's for you GF or mommy who is kind of intrigued by the game (strong female lead, nice butt etc.) but can't wrap her head around the gameplay.

Why would the complainers even play on Easy or Very Easy in the first place?

careful

Alucrid said:
Well, if you like sitting there for five hours pressing one button...all the more power to you.
What about using this to get past a section you're getting frustrated with and then turning it off afterwards? Not valid?

Alucrid

Banned
careful said:
What about using this to get past a section you're getting frustrated with and then turning it off afterwards? Not valid?

Erm, is that how it works? I thought this was a level of difficulty that you select from the beginning and play with all the way through? Is it actually something you just turn on in the options menu?

Alucrid said:
QTE defense? Please. I'm just saying that your comparison isn't all that great since QTEs don't make up entire games, and even then they seem more involved than this Very Easy mode.

QTEs in Bayonetta look like they're being used the same way with God of War: "Look how cool and brutal this finisher is!"

vocab

Haunted said:
I know people who have no interest watching someone play Street Fighter (and similar games), but when they get their hands on the controller and button-mash (with absolutely no strategy and no idea what they're actually doing), and they're having a goddamn blast.

That's understandable, but this is just laughable.

It's like "look at me guys! I hit one button and it plays the game for me!"

What's the point? Even your button mashing friends would be bored if they knew that the key to success is just hitting the Y button.

You might as well go get a Drinking bird to play the game for you while you play a game that requires brain power
drinking-bird.jpg

Top Bottom