• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

n64coder

I'm trying to eat better, so I'm avoiding BBQ sandwiches, bread, pasta and the like so I'm just having the pulled pork straight. What would you all suggest as a tasty side to go along with it. My thoughts were heading towards a bacon corn hash or something.

That's not a healthy side. Focus on salads/greens/vegetables. Corn/potatoes are starch.

Alright, quick question for the thread:

I'm smoking some Butt this Saturday and wanted some ideas on a side to go with the pulled pork. I'm trying to eat better, so I'm avoiding BBQ sandwiches, bread, pasta and the like so I'm just having the pulled pork straight. What would you all suggest as a tasty side to go along with it. My thoughts were heading towards a bacon corn hash or something.

That's not a healthy side. Focus on salads/greens/vegetables. Corn/potatoes are starch.

What the poster quoted said. Although if you do insist on the potato/corn - bake the potato ((no butter or sour cream) and steam or grill the corn (no butter)

hwalker84

Went to a place here in Pittsburgh last night. They had relatively good reviews. We do have a few places that serve good BBQ here. This place advertised itself as Georgia BBQ and the people are from Georgia. They say Georgia style is about the smoke and dry rub with sauce on the side. Meat cooked low and slow.

Got the Brisket and 1/4 chicken (Leg and Thigh).
Brisket looked moist as did the chicken.
Taste time...... Besides the hickory from the smoke their was ZERO flavor.. What the hell happened to this crazy dry rub you guys keep advertising??? Everything was expertly cooked and juicy and moist but no actual flavor. The homemade sauces were delicious. Without the sauces i'd give this a 1.5 because of the expert cook. The sauce brought the score to atleast a 3.

ColdPizza

Banned
I like a cole slaw or a broccoli salad. Yeah, they have sugar in the sauce, but no starches and maybe even fiber. Plus they taste really good.

For the unhealthy side option, it's hard to beat BBQ followed up by a peach cobbler.

Lots of places sell shredded brussels sprouts too...could make a brussels sprouts salad with a warm bacon dressing.

Went to a place here in Pittsburgh last night. They had relatively good reviews. We do have a few places that serve good BBQ here. This place advertised itself as Georgia BBQ and the people are from Georgia. They say Georgia style is about the smoke and dry rub with sauce on the side. Meat cooked low and slow.

Got the Brisket and 1/4 chicken (Leg and Thigh).
Brisket looked moist as did the chicken.
Taste time...... Besides the hickory from the smoke their was ZERO flavor.. What the hell happened to this crazy dry rub you guys keep advertising??? Everything was expertly cooked and juicy and moist but no actual flavor. The homemade sauces were delicious. Without the sauces i'd give this a 1.5 because of the expert cook. The sauce brought the score to atleast a 3.

Sounds like Georgia barbecue, to me. Any time I've visited family and had some from there it had no flavor, hence the "need" for sauce.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Alright, quick question for the thread:

I'm smoking some Butt this Saturday and wanted some ideas on a side to go with the pulled pork. I'm trying to eat better, so I'm avoiding BBQ sandwiches, bread, pasta and the like so I'm just having the pulled pork straight. What would you all suggest as a tasty side to go along with it. My thoughts were heading towards a bacon corn hash or something.

You could make a Pulled Pork Tostada. I usually put beans on the tostada, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, pulled pork and jalapenos.

gruenel

I'm currently BBQing for my first time ever. Using a Weber kettle and the minion snake method. I'm smoking ribs using the 3-2-1 method, 3 hours in and everything seems to go fine... wish me luck, GAF.

ShinAmano

So help me out here...

Did my first full packer brisket this past weekend...and it came out great with one exception...the fat on the bottom became very hard...what did I do wrong?

9lb brisket smoked at 200 on my egg for 9 and a half hours till temp.

ColdPizza

Banned
So help me out here...

Did my first full packer brisket this past weekend...and it came out great with one exception...the fat on the bottom became very hard...what did I do wrong?

fat on the bottom? are you talking about the fat cap itself or the deckle? (the fat between the point and the flat)....if you're talking about the deckle, you're supposed to cut that out.

this is actually a good video from Aaron Franklin on how to trim a full packer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

I've always been a little shy of posting in the past (I'm embarrassed by my username, a relic of creating my account as a teenager) but I thought I'd best post my most recent project. Below are photos of some Beef Heart Pastrami I've been working on. They're resting in the fridge right now and tonight I will steam them before making some reuben sandwiches.

3B59CB89-421F-4C25-A0D1-8DFA7EEFADC9.jpg

8551FC27-E82A-4392-865E-E04135F223A5.jpg

AF24F039-F2F9-4A1D-BA79-F691755E1C29.jpg
06BC9A39-D986-445D-9032-234733607422.jpg
9D42633D-328D-4114-BCF6-2D223208C7E4.jpg
76D6B1B1-54E3-4FD5-8D58-E2F7E01C28AF.jpg
AF4F2F2D-8964-42B2-85F8-41860E323DD8.jpg

phanphare

Banned
So help me out here...

a 9lb brisket at 200 only took 9 hours?

ColdPizza

Banned
I've always been a little shy of posting in the past (I'm embarrassed by my username, a relic of creating my account as a teenager) but I thought I'd best post my most recent project. Below are photos of some Beef Heart Pastrami I've been working on. They're resting in the fridge right now and tonight I will steam them before making some reuben sandwiches.

dude that's awesome. thanks for sharing.

zbarron

I bought 18 pounds of chicken thighs today and a cheap pizza pan from Walmart that I cut up with an angle grinder. I'm using that to bank the coals on one side of the grill. I was thinking of using a water pan on the other side to basically recreate the slow and sear for significantly cheaper. I filled the side with charcoal and used a torch to light about 6 on the edge. I'm doing a dry run and not using a water pan this time but so far so good.I was going to use firebricks but those things are pricey.

zbarron

Honestly I've been having second thoughts on the Slow N Sear since Shin Johnpv's post. That's why I am experimenting with them cut up pizza pan. My dry run was very informative.

It held a very consistent temperature going on 4 hours now, and it looks like it should last another hour before a refill. I didn't use a water pan and while the temperature was steady it was very different depending on how far away the probe was placed from the direct side. Would using a water pan significantly even this out or would I need something like fire bricks?

I already have a water pan and fire bricks would cost $20-$30. I also have the option of covering my smokey Joe silver into a Mini Smokey Mountain for about $50. Considering that it is harder to justify $100 on the Slow N Sear. Is it really a better setup and if so how?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Honestly I've been having second thoughts on the Slow N Sear since Shin Johnpv's post. That's why I am experimenting with them cut up pizza pan. My dry run was very informative.

It held a very consistent temperature going on 4 hours now, and it looks like it should last another hour before a refill. I didn't use a water pan and while the temperature was steady it was very different depending on how far away the probe was placed from the direct side. Would using a water pan significantly even this out or would I need something like fire bricks?

I already have a water pan and fire bricks would cost $20-$30. I also have the option of covering my smokey Joe silver into a Mini Smokey Mountain for about $50. Considering that it is harder to justify $100 on the Slow N Sear. Is it really a better setup and if so how?

I'd go with the firebricks because you can use them for other things too. Mine got used more as a baking stone for Naan bread more than a heat shield. I got by without that thing when I used my kettle as a smoker so I wouldn't recommend spending $100 on it. This is what most of my set ups looked like on the kettle after ditching the fuse method, and the only thing extra I bought was this cheap ass bread pan for the water. This was a pastrami I smoked for around 7 hours @ 225.

zbarron

I'd go with the firebricks because you can use them for other things too. Mine got used more as a baking stone for Naan bread more than a heat shield. I got by without that thing when I used my kettle as a smoker so I wouldn't recommend spending $100 on it. This is what most of my set ups looked like on the kettle after ditching the fuse method, and the only thing extra I bought was this cheap ass bread pan for the water. This was a pastrami I smoked for around 7 hours @ 225.
My setup is similar.
26236885833_c5becdcb30_h.jpg

I just took this. Please disregard the filthy state of the grill. It was just a test run, not counting that half of a granny smith apple that got smoked to shit. The unlit charcoal and wood chunks go on the left side and the metal helps me pile it higher without it spilling over. If your setup reacted anything like mine the temperature on the left side of your corned beef was higher than it was on your right. This can be negated by rotating the meat half way through but I was wondering, and I'll probably be testing tomorrow if a large water/drip pan on the bottom would do a good job of absorbing and evening the heat out evenly whether it is close to the direct side or near the opposite end.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
My setup is similar.
26236885833_c5becdcb30_h.jpg

I just took this. Please disregard the filthy state of the grill. It was just a test run, not counting that half of a granny smith apple that got smoked to shit. The unlit charcoal and wood chunks go on the left side and the metal helps me pile it higher without it spilling over. If your setup reacted anything like mine the temperature on the left side of your corned beef was higher than it was on your right. This can be negated by rotating the meat half way through but I was wondering, and I'll probably be testing tomorrow if a large water/drip pan on the bottom would do a good job of absorbing and evening the heat out evenly whether it is close to the direct side or near the opposite end.

Oh mine isn't the most optimal set up by far but it got the job done and the results were great. You would definitely benefit with a wall of fire brick down there, they absorb heat like nothing else.

Just trying to talk you out of that smoke n' sear and save you some money :)

zbarron

Oh mine isn't the most optimal set up by far but it got the job done and the results were great. You would definitely benefit with a wall of fire brick down there, they absorb heat like nothing else.

Just trying to talk you out of that smoke n' sear and save you some money :)
Yeah. SNS is $100 after shipping and I can pick up 6 fire bricks from Lowes for $30, and if the water pan works I already have it so it'd be $0. It'd be nice to be able to use the top and bottom rack at the same time but it also seems like it would be a pain in the ass in practice. I love the fuse method but I don't like how it limits my cooking area so much, nor having to rotate things.

I was looking at the Vortex as a cheaper alternative and while it isn't as nice in a lot of ways, it really would make a perfect way to cook on my flat bottom wok. It reminds me of the WokMon except with charcoal instead of a gas range. Then again I could always just mod my chimney with tin snips or a rotary tool to not snuff the flames and get some less intense heat on the sides of the wok.

Decisions decisions.

Edit: On the other hand after reading Amazon reviews I do see the benefits more. The thick steel insulating it would be really nice for extending my grilling/smoking season. The longer cook time that's stable would be great for finally being able to do an overnight smoke. It also is a more simple solution with smooth edges. At least I have over a month to decide.

Also charcoal shouldn't be touching the side of your grill like that. In hot cooks it could mess up the paint on the outside. Slow n Sear is also nice because it's so low maintenance. You don't have to refill it and the wall of water creates a really nice separation of heat zones.

Finished steaming the hearstrami last night. Turned out great! I had brined for 7 days but you. Can see that brine didn't hit all the meat. I thought it would hit everything even with the hearts bundled becuause of the the natural caverns but I think next time I'll bundle after brining.

Pics aren't as complete as I'd like but the eating was wonderful.

Side note: the fins in my Weber need replacing. Anyone know where I can buy replacement parts for my Weber in Canada?

zbarron

Also charcoal shouldn't be touching the side of your grill like that. In hot cooks it could mess up the paint on the outside. Slow n Sear is also nice because it's so low maintenance. You don't have to refill it and the wall of water creates a really nice separation of heat zones.
I am banking a bunch of coals up against the grill wall but plan on only lighting a few and using the minion method for today's smoke. Do you think that would be safe or should I abort and do it another way? I plan on starting my rib tips and country style ribs in a little over 3 hours.

I've never been an organ meat eater, but if you gave me that and didn't tell me I'd eat and love it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Finished steaming the hearstrami last night. Turned out great! I had brined for 7 days but you. Can see that brine didn't hit all the meat. I thought it would hit everything even with the hearts bundled becuause of the the natural caverns but I think next time I'll bundle after brining.

Pics aren't as complete as I'd like but the eating was wonderful.

Side note: the fins in my Weber need replacing. Anyone know where I can buy replacement parts for my Weber in Canada?

I had to brine mine for at least 10 days (I think I went 11, not 100% sure) and that was with a 3 or 4 lb brisket flat. I tried going 7 days the 2nd time and it didn't fully saturate the meat. I've read and heard that old school delis brine their packer briskets for a full month!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
got family in town, unfortunately one of them has gout so no brisket. Going to do a whole chicken and a pork loin roast on the egg today.

ColdPizza

Banned
I had to brine mine for at least 10 days (I think I went 11, not 100% sure) and that was with a 3 or 4 lb brisket flat. I tried going 7 days the 2nd time and it didn't fully saturate the meat. I've read and heard that old school delis brine their packer briskets for a full month!

Trimming the fat cap down to 1/8" should help with that

Notty, you can PM a mod to have your name changed lol

I am banking a bunch of coals up against the grill wall but plan on only lighting a few and using the minion method for today's smoke. Do you think that would be safe or should I abort and do it another way? I plan on starting my rib tips and country style ribs in a little over 3 hours.

I've never been an organ meat eater, but if you gave me that and didn't tell me I'd eat and love it.
That's totally fine for a low n slow. I was just trying to say that you can use the SNS in high heat cooks as well and not worry about overheating the wall of your grill.

zbarron

That's totally fine for a low n slow. I was just trying to say that you can use the SNS in high heat cooks as well and not worry about overheating the wall of your grill.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that, and I'm a little paranoid of fucking up my paint after what happened to my last smoker:
21502759678_40f34b9814_b.jpg

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Trimming the fat cap down to 1/8" should help with that

Trimming the 2nd one didn't help any at least from trying to shorten it by 3 days. I'd rather wait longer and keep the cap.

On a Weber? Not likely. My mom's is around 20 years old and one of the handles + the bottom vent lever is broken but the enamel is nice and shiny. Weber guarantees no rust or burn-through for at least 10 years.

Thanks mate, they turned out great.

It was actually easier than I expected. The kettle temperature wasn't 100% stable all the time, but that didn't seem to affect the end result. The ribs slid right off the bone. Perfectly tender and moist.

10/10 will cook again.

Oh god, they look good.

What kind of rub did you use?

zbarron

So this?
ingredients

6 tablespoons Sugar, brown
3 tbsp Paprika, sweet and seductive
1 tbsp Pepper, black, freshly ground
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sounds good. I've been using Memphis Dust

I really like it but I too am looking to branch out and experiment a little. I just wanted to use the same kind while I worked on my technique so I only changed one variable at a time.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
okay, that sounds just about right....weird...you using a dry or wet cure?

this dude is making pastrami and getting full penetration over 3 days.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

I cured it in a brine ... even after I trimmed mine it still had a lot more fat on it than his. I am guessing that's why it takes longer, which is fine by me because the fat renders off nicely on the smoker and adds more flavor.

I don't have a ton of leakage under my lid, but I've still tried to apply large binder clips and they just slip right off. Any suggestions?

That's definitely not normal. I'd bet your main issue is leakage from the lower vent. And just to confirm - you are using a prob, right? Versus the gauge on the lid.

I was using a probe, yeah

I took the entire thing (god damn h bolt is a pain) and got the one vent blade bent back to position. It was bent up about 30-40 degrees off the bottom, So one of the vents was always fully open

Threw some charcoal in and did some steaks and it cooked how I expected it to cook.

Going to do a dry run tonight with the slow n sear and see what happens. I expect that I'll be fine though.

zbarron

I made the rib tips from the St. Louis I trimmed. I also threw on some Country ribs in case they weren't very good.
26585308240_aec3f292fe_b.jpg

This is how they looked off the smoker before I sauced them.
26253879343_30126cc769_b.jpg

Sauced.
26585299440_4e56f06118_b.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
I usually avoid Country ribs as to me, they're fatty and not as good as regular ribs. Am I missing something? Is there a different recipe/technique that I should try?

Probably a higher heat to render out some of that fat, or shred them and put them in a sandwich instead of eating them as ribs.

zbarron

Yeah. They are cut up pork shoulder so treating them like a pork butt is the way to go. They're just individual servings with more surface area for a higher ratio of bark to meat. That makes it dryer but more rub and bark flavor. I think I'll foil them next time.

Honestly I think I prefer just smoking butts, but these finish faster and we had them on hand. They're still pretty good. I just think they'd be best foiled and cooked high enough to either pulling temp or slightly below.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm looking for some inspiration to make some Asian inspired wings. I have some Asian BBQ sauce from Wegmans so now I'm looking for rub ideas as well as flavored wood. I'm thinking orange wood or plum wood.

Can I make Moinkballs on a ordinary barbecue grill (open fire) or do I need one of these ballgrills?

You can make them with a regular bbq grill, just smoke them by setting the charcoal on one side of the grill. You can also use something like the smokenator to help.

I'm looking for some inspiration to make some Asian inspired wings. I have some Asian BBQ sauce from Wegmans so now I'm looking for rub ideas as well as flavored wood. I'm thinking orange wood or plum wood.

You could try something like 5 spice powder, cayenne, pepper.

That's honestly kinda creepy.

Might be the wrong place to ask but does anyone know some good bbq places in Charleston SC? I'm going there on vacation and I want to try a local place.

phanphare

Banned
That's honestly kinda creepy.

Might be the wrong place to ask but does anyone know some good bbq places in Charleston SC? I'm going there on vacation and I want to try a local place.

I went to college in charleston for 2008-2012 and was honestly disappointed with the bbq options. there's home team bbq which is the best bbq that's close to downtown imo unless some new stuff opened up. it's nothing too special though but everything's good. their chicken and wings are really good. the best bbq near charleston that I've had was JB's smokeshack but that's on john's island which can be a drive depending on where you're coming from. avoid jim-n-nick's or whatever it's named now.

Top Bottom