• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beauty and the Beast (2017) reviews are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the little I saw during the sneak peak, Gaston came off less like a brainless musclehead and a little more like a sociopath. That's not exactly a bad thing but it was different.

LeFou was great though.

He didn't come across like that at all after watching he movie. At least to me.

Why not? The technology is there. It's cool to see them come to life. I thought the movie was really fun.

Exactly. And like someone said, they're making money off the adaptations. Nothing wrong in a situation where everybody wins. And yes, where's Enchanted 2? Patrick Dempsey and Amy Adams aren't getting any younger!

Anne Hathaway should've been Belle but Disney went for financially safe over critically good.

Why do people detest Emma Watson so much? Everyone I know adores her. Did I miss something?

Anne Hathaway should've been Belle but Disney went for financially safe over critically good.

How this ACTUALLY works is that there's these things they have called auditions. Anne wouldn't have been better in this role per se. Emma did really well.

And I honestly doubt this movie would've made less with Hathaway. I don't think Emma has that huge of star power. This would've made bank regardless of who played Belle as long as it was a relatively sensible choice.

How this ACTUALLY works is that there's these things they have called auditions. Anne wouldn't have been better in this role per se. Emma did really well.

How it works is there are focus groups and execs that have more of a say than pure creatives. Even if it's the latter, who would pick Watson if it's purely on auditions? There are loads better actors and singers. Melissa Benoist is another. Belle is a cool snob, not a dainty snob.

Xion385

I enjoyed that movie way too much than I was expecting. The nostalgia was overwhelmingly enjoyable.

Also, I didn't know that there was controversy about LeFou until after the movie. I thought he was just flamboyant like the original character.

There was a post credit scene also:
A dude named Ansem showed up and kidnapped Belle.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There was a post credit scene also:
A dude named Ansem showed up and kidnapped Belle.

I missed that part but... Wat.

How did Ansem look like? I automatically thought of Kingdom Hearts.

You know, I never get the stockholm syndrome people kept saying on Disney's version.

Belle didn't like being kept in the castle, and the only reason she was trying to be nice was because of the attendants, and when given a chance to go home she did go home and only came back when she heard of Gaston's plan.
She also escaped like, day 1. She stuck around for a few hours, tops. She came back to nurse the Beast back to health after he saved her from the wolves. And then as you said she left (and the time she actually spent at the castle might not have been that long anyway).

Disney's Belle having Stockholm Syndrome is a lazy critique/running gag.

I missed that part but... Wat.

How did Ansem look like? I automatically thought of Kingdom Hearts.
He's joshing you.

wandering

Banned

And I honestly doubt this movie would've made less with Hathaway. I don't think Emma has that huge of star power. This would've made bank regardless of who played Belle as long as it was a relatively sensible choice.

I'm sure there was some auditioning involved but once you get to a certain level of star power it's more about agents and executives and negotiations.

yeah i really doubt that. hathaway probably wasn't even auditioned/offered it.

watson is inferior to her in like every facet. appearance, acting, singing ability.

edit: apparently Kristen Stewart, Lily Collins and Amanda Seyfried were considered. they definitely were skewing young with Belle, which is understandable.

Man the beast's CGI was fucking trash. It looked like he was hand animated the entire movie. And those dead ass eyes. It really felt like Emma Watson was talking to a cartoon

Just got out.

Liked it but didn't love it, mostly because
of the new songs.

We didn't need the new songs.

Otherwise it was enjoyable and I was mouthing along to most of it.

duckroll

How it works is there are focus groups and execs that have more of a say than pure creatives. Even if it's the latter, who would pick Watson if it's purely on auditions? There are loads better actors and singers. Melissa Benoist is another. Belle is a cool snob, not a dainty snob.

How this REALLY works is that you're a salty snob jealous that a beautiful and talented young woman like Emma Watson is given opportunities in major blockbusters. Suck it and hold that L!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah just seen it. Honestly it's pretty much the same as the animated film, even some of the changes didn't really alter things.

Although I like Beast here having more lines - particularly he's allowed to be snarky.

"Oh? You know Shakespeare?"
"Well, I had expensive education."

She also escaped like, day 1. She stuck around for a few hours, tops. She came back to nurse the Beast back to health after he saved her from the wolves. And then as you said she left (and the time she actually spent at the castle might not have been that long anyway).

Disney's Belle having Stockholm Syndrome is a lazy critique/running gag.

It definitely is applicable to those d2v movies, but those pretty much pulled out the characters and put them as caricatures anyway.

Just got out.

Liked it but didn't love it, mostly because
of the new songs.

We didn't need the new songs.

Otherwise it was enjoyable and I was mouthing along to most of it.
Yeah the new songs were pointless. But thankfully they're very short compared to the ones based on the original.

The Lamp

I'm gonna watch it anyway because RT is such a horrible metric of quality for me. Get Out getting 99% or whatever was unbelievable to me when it's a really mediocre scary movie in execution, but with a great concept.

With RT just being how many critics were impressed, it doesn't mean too much for me usually. Some critics will give this a rotten score just if it's not any better than the original, when the original was fantastic to me.

I'll see it for myself.

hertog

I love the cartoon version. But I really don't like Emma Watson.... don't have a clue why they cast her as "Belle".

I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix.

All I needed to hear was the first two lines sung by Emma Watson on Spotify to know that something has gone very wrong with this movie. The main character shouldn't be played by someone who needs so much autotuning that she sounds like Microsoft Sam. They could have hired a competent singer to dub her parts.

Just_one

Saw it last night with my wife , she loves the animation and loved the movie.

Personally i´ve seen the animation years ago and loved the movie aswell.

Much more content and loved the songs (even the new ones)

when i saw the actor playing beast the only thing i could think of was this :

what if all of this is happenning in david´s mind? ;)

Laws00

saw with my mom

it was ok

trying to buy pop corn and my credit card got declined after buying tickets......

got to wait till the bank opens to get it sorted out

good thing im on my weekend right now

You make me want to see a Melissa Benoist led version.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I know there will be weird shippers who's gonna be fuming here though.
Mrs. Potts' husband is alive and well so she can't be paired with Belle's dad

Laws00

and the beast human form
looked too old to courting someone as young looking as Emma watson. Made it look like a sugar daddy type situation

yeah i really doubt that. hathaway probably wasn't even auditioned/offered it.

watson is inferior to her in like every facet. appearance, acting, singing ability.

Yet Emma was fine. I forget that I'm on Cynic-GAF sometimes. I wouldn't have liked Anne, she's too old I think. Yes there are probably a lot of people better than Emma but that can be said about plenty of roles. It doesn't mean it would've made anything so much better, Emma does good enough to where I'm not like well they should've gotten Anne Hathaway!

and the beast human form
looked too old to courting someone as young looking as Emma watson. Made it look like a sugar daddy type situation

Emma Watson just looks younger than her actual age (26) so maybe that's why. But sugar daddy type? That didn't even come to mind. You're the first I heard that from actually.

Yet Emma was fine. I forget that I'm on Cynic-GAF sometimes. I wouldn't have liked Anne, she's too old I think.

Indeed. I like Anne too but she's just a little old now to be Belle.

Hearing that Emma was not the best here makes me happy the spanish dub version with michelle jenner talking and a porfessional singer singing is going to be MUCH better. From the trailers they have shown at least it sounds really good.

Laws00

Emma Watson just looks younger than her actual age (26) so maybe that's why. But sugar daddy type? That didn't even come to mind. You're the first I heard that from actually.

Indeed. I like Anne too but she's just a little old now to be Belle.

I only say that because i'm looking at her and looking and staring at him and he looks OLD.
Not a bad looking old like a Fabio old like a late 30s going into 40s old.
That was just me looking at it.

and the beast human form

AGREED. I was actually shocked when he transformed. I've never heard of the actor before, but when he turned around I was like...uh, he's kind of ugly and too old for Belle...

BumRush

i don't understand the need to remake these disney classics though..

why not create new modern classics instead...like Enchanted? Now that's a good movie.

In the end, this is a business. It's guaranteed that disney will make a very healthy profit before this thing ever leaves theatres. Why would they not do it?

AGREED. I was actually shocked when he transformed. I've never heard of the actor before, but when he turned around I was like...uh, he's kind of ugly and too old for Belle...
Isn't the whole plot of this movie about loving someone for who they are on the inside? You might have missed the major theme they were trying to get across :p

Gambit

Watched it last night with low expectations and was blown away.

It was magical and fun. Pure joy.

Now did I need the extra back story and songs? No, not at all.

But they could not keep me from enjoying myself more than with any other film so far this year.
might have also helped that the date went well

No, he's not!!!

He's my age and Emma Watson is not too young for me at all! /rant

I'm gonna watch it anyway because RT is such a horrible metric of quality for me. Get Out getting 99% or whatever was unbelievable to me when it's a really mediocre scary movie in execution, but with a great concept.

And the great concept is why people overwhelmingly loved it.

Remind me NEVER to take The Lamp's recommendation on anything film related.

Saw it last night in a sold out theater.

I loved it. My girlfriend loved it. The audience seemed to love it just as much. High fives and giddy laughter at the credits.

5/5

I guess the reason why the prince looked old when he transformed back to human was because of his hairstyle. Disney really wanted to stick as closely as possible to how his character looked in the animated movie even if he could have looked better with another style. He is also noticeably thinner these days which could have contributed to him looking older.

The Lamp

And the great concept is why people overwhelmingly loved it.

Remind me NEVER to take The Lamp's recommendation on anything film related.

Great concept mediocrely executed. Parts of it weren't well thought-out, like the idea of a
neurosurgeon performing secret surgeries alone in a basement (surgeons have teams of people, let alone the abominable risk of infection in there)
. Execution counts to me, especially in selling a movie. Better movies have scored lower than Get Out. Stay salty.

I'm also surrounded by people who thought a mediocre musical with people who can't sing should have won Best Picture this year, and are happy that a song autotuned with Ryan Gosling won Best Song over Moana, so who cares what anyone here including me thinks, lmao.

Great concept mediocrely executed.
Parts of it weren't well thought-out, like the idea of a neurosurgeon performing secret surgeries alone in a basement (surgeons have teams of people, let alone the abominable risk of infection in there).
Execution counts to me, especially in selling a movie. Better movies have scored lower than Get Out. Stay salty.

Stay salty...Lol.

Stay in the camp of the one person that knocked it down to a 99%, not mention the overwhelming praise on this very site, if RT isn't your thing.

Your opinion is yours but virtually no one shares it. Get Out is hardly polarizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom