• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bees cancel spring training game

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2020769

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A swarm of bees invaded the field on Thursday and forced a game between the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks to be called after five innings.

The bees literally chased Rockies pitcher Darren Oliver from the mound. He kept trying to go back on the mound, but the bees would go after him again. Finally, he left for good and let another pitcher complete the inning.

"I love this game," Oliver said, "but I like myself a little bit more."

[. . .]

The Diamondbacks took the field in the sixth, but by then the bees had spread over the entire field. Shortstop Sergio Santos, who had just entered the game, was chased all the way into deep center field.

"There were like little packs moving around," said Arizona's Luis Gonzalez, who hit his first homer of the spring in the first inning and was on third after a triple when the bee-delay occurred. "They were all over the pitcher, and Santos when he went out. I think it was either their cologne or deodorant or something. They've got to switch it up."

I can't wait to see video of this.

AntoneM

eh, there wasn't much to see. I saw some footage on the local news last night, but it could just bee that they didn't show any good parts.

digestive.gif

I'm interested to see this, too. They've got coordinating attack/defense patterns for sure.

snoopy_0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom