• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Was raking .400 with clutch HRs and RBIs in the AA playoffs and getting really into it... until I was benched indefinitely for stealing a base while the CPU was simulating (I have it set to only lead runner situations). Benched me for the league championship. SO much fun.

Earlier in the season I was sent down from AAA to AA after the same thing happened.

I am close to giving up on RTTS for this reason. I'm sick of getting benched and demoted because the CPU is too stupid to have its left and right hands work together.

I'd love to hear an excuse for this stupidity from Sony SD but since they already got my $60 I doubt I'll get one.

Damn, I should have waited to start my franchise
Start a 2nd!
Was raking .400 with clutch HRs and RBIs in the AA playoffs and getting really into it... until I was benched indefinitely for stealing a base while the CPU was simulating (I have it set to only lead runner situations). Benched me for the league championship. SO much fun.

Earlier in the season I was sent down from AAA to AA after the same thing happened.

I am close to giving up on RTTS for this reason. I'm sick of getting benched and demoted because the CPU is too stupid to have its left and right hands work together.

I'd love to hear an excuse for this stupidity from Sony SD but since they already got my $60 I doubt I'll get one.
You sim? I hate simming... also it's pretty much ingrained if you disobey the coach you get punished. It's not actually too different from what happens in the minors... outside of the immediate punishment. The only thing I can think of is don't sim RTTS games. This thing has never come up with me at all so far.

alterno69

Banned
I got the Vita version for free three days ago, already on the second half of my first RTTS season as a SS/1B. Man am i hooked, im haven't simmed any game, at 1/4 of the season i was traded to another team and managed to keep a .309 at bat, i was promoted to the AAA team at the half of the season and i'm having a really bad season so far lol, i lost my mojo at bat and i now have a .140 avg lol.

Anyway, those saying the game looks terrible, what? It looks awesome IMO, sure there's some slowdown here and there but not during gameplay, load times could be better but i still think it looks and runs pretty good.

I got the Vita version for free three days ago, already on the second half of my first RTTS season as a SS/1B. Man am i hooked, im haven't simmed any game, at 1/4 of the season i was traded to another team and managed to keep a .309 at bat, i was promoted to the AAA team at the half of the season and i'm having a really bad season so far lol, i lost my mojo at bat and i now have a .140 avg lol.

Anyway, those saying the game looks terrible, what? It looks awesome IMO, sure there's some slowdown here and there but not during gameplay, load times could be better but i still think it looks and runs pretty good.
Yeah, difficulty ramps up when you go up a level. Your decent-sized PCI becomes much smaller batting.

It looks kinda poor on Vita for people expecting a Vita MLB: The Show game. I think they just did a port.

Yeah, difficulty ramps up when you go up a level. Your decent-sized PCI becomes much smaller batting.

It looks kinda poor on Vita for people expecting a Vita MLB: The Show game. I think they just did a port.

It's pretty obviously an up-port from the PSP version. It's still a noticeable improvement, but next year's game should look much nicer.

eznark

Banned
I threw a perfect game against GoldenLion in league on Saturday. GRENIKEFEST!!

It's pretty obviously an up-port from the PSP version. It's still a noticeable improvement, but next year's game should look much nicer.

That's my hope as well. Hopefully the Vita version sold well.

Sanjuro

I threw a perfect game with Clemens in his "dramatic" return to the Sox a few seasons ago. 22 strikeouts to set the new record!

That's my hope as well. Hopefully the Vita version sold well.

In any case, it should have a much larger install base by next year so there should be some more incentive to put forth a more polished effort.

Unless the Vita dies in the next few months, I guess.
lol

Man, the 10 HRs in a row trophy is killing me on PS3. Yet on Vita, I got it almost immediately. It's my fault, though, I get up to 8 or 9 and then get nervous.

turnbuckle

I have not played a baseball game since the N64 days. Will I enjoy the Show GAF?

It depends on if you expect another Griffey-type arcade experience or a quite realistic simulation game.

If you want a more arcadey experience you can still have that too with the right slider sets.

This year the game is all about Diamond-Dynasty for me. It's a mode where you basically build a team mixed with MLB and fake players where you earn money from playing against the CPU or other online teams which can then be used to buy more players or upgrade the ones you have. There are still some major technical issues with the mode but I'm having a blast with it. Sure beats head-to-head where you'll find yourself playing the same 7-8 teams over and over and facing the same 10 or so pitchers over and over again.

Some of the teams people create are pretty funny and clever (or funny and sophomoric). I played a team with guys named "stubby dick" and "Mike Hunt" etc...funny hearing the broadcaster (Matt Vasgersian) and the stadium announcer saying those. Cheap, childish humor but it offers a bit more of an entertaining diversion from the serious stuff :p

So the Diamond Dynasty and Road to the Show modes satisfy a sort of "RPG"-type itch in addition to the several more simulation-oriented modes available. It's not a perfect game; there are some technical issues that have plagued the series forever, but it's the best thing out there now and a great supplement to the real-life baseball season.

ajf009

Man, the 10 HRs in a row trophy is killing me on PS3. Yet on Vita, I got it almost immediately. It's my fault, though, I get up to 8 or 9 and then get nervous.

I did the home run durby a couple times when it came up on my franchise, I think I got like 5 in the row at most haha, and I only got 450ft as my farthest, no where near the 490

It depends on if you expect another Griffey-type arcade experience or a quite realistic simulation game.

If you want a more arcadey experience you can still have that too with the right slider sets.

This year the game is all about Diamond-Dynasty for me. It's a mode where you basically build a team mixed with MLB and fake players where you earn money from playing against the CPU or other online teams which can then be used to buy more players or upgrade the ones you have. There are still some major technical issues with the mode but I'm having a blast with it. Sure beats head-to-head where you'll find yourself playing the same 7-8 teams over and over and facing the same 10 or so pitchers over and over again.

Some of the teams people create are pretty funny and clever (or funny and sophomoric). I played a team with guys named "stubby dick" and "Mike Hunt" etc...funny hearing the broadcaster (Matt Vasgersian) and the stadium announcer saying those. Cheap, childish humor but it offers a bit more of an entertaining diversion from the serious stuff :p

So the Diamond Dynasty and Road to the Show modes satisfy a sort of "RPG"-type itch in addition to the several more simulation-oriented modes available. It's not a perfect game; there are some technical issues that have plagued the series forever, but it's the best thing out there now and a great supplement to the real-life baseball season.

All this sounds great to me. I like my sports games to be sims.

Who are you using? I haven't started going for trophies yet but I think I will shortly.

At first I was using a variety of power hitters each time, but I finally settled on Granderson after I found I had the best luck with him. Something about his stride or timing works well for me. Bautista has a really strange motion. So I just pick Granderson like seven times and keep slugging away until I get bored.

I did the home run durby a couple times when it came up on my franchise, I think I got like 5 in the row at most haha, and I only got 450ft as my farthest, no where near the 490

Neither one is super tough if you just zone out and keep hitting for a while. The 490 happens every now and then, but Coors Field is the best place, as hits realistically go a little further there.

do people mostly play this game online or is the campaign the main focus?

I get the feeling that people play the various single player modes more, but there are certainly plenty online as well. To me, it's almost several games worked into one anyway, since the different SP modes are such varying experiences.

So I just tried playing a game in my franchise I imported from my Vita on the PS3 and there was a one second delay between my button presses and when it would actually receive the input.

Anyone heard of this happening? Every pitch went into the dirt because I couldn't control pitches without compensating for the extra second. I'm using meter styled pitching, for the record.

Wow, I downloaded the most recommended sliders from operation sports and I still suck at hitting. I haven't had scored more than 3 runs in the 13 franchise games I've played. :( This is worse than ever.

In previous games, I'm usually able to hold my own on All Star without any issues. The last couple of years have been a hitting nightmare.

Wow, I downloaded the most recommended sliders from operation sports and I still suck at hitting. I haven't had scored more than 3 runs in the 13 franchise games I've played. :( This is worse than ever.

In previous games, I'm usually able to hold my own on All Star without any issues. The last couple of years have been a hitting nightmare.
What was the slider set? They're all about understand what each does and personal preference, so in many cases I DLed a set, then tweaked in on the fly. I DLed Bobhead's and took advice from him, Psychobulk and TKNGNM as well as my own knowledge of the game from past years.

In regards to hitting, what is your Human Contact/Power, Human Timing, and Pitch Speed at?

What was the slider set? They're all about understand what each does and personal preference, so in many cases I DLed a set, then tweaked in on the fly. I DLed Bobhead's and took advice from him, Psychobulk and TKNGNM as well as my own knowledge of the game from past years.

In regards to hitting, what is your Human Contact/Power, Human Timing, and Pitch Speed at?
I have TKNGNM's. My settings are at the default of that set right now. Switched to timing hitting as suggested so it might be a case of just getting my timing right.

I have TKNGNM's. My settings are at the default of that set right now. Switched to timing hitting as suggested so it might be a case of just getting my timing right.
I use Zone hitting and a combo of Bobhead's sliders and my own adjustments. I think I actually uploaded the slider set into the Vault, just look for my name. It's a bit dated though because I made more tweaks since.

Madtown_

Question for the RTTS players who use pitchers.

My first time around, before my PS3 died for the 4th time, I was dominating AA and about 2 months into the season got called up to AAA and pretty much became the long-man for the team. Pitching occurrences were rare and I never got to start.

I just receieved my latest PS3 and have started RTTS but don't want this to happen again if possible.
Is there a decent way to prevent this from happening? I'd prefer staying at AA for the majority if not the entire season (unless I can get to AAA and start immediately). If I have a few bad games will I stay at AA, or perhaps if I don't achieve the Advancement Goals?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Question for the RTTS players who use pitchers.

My first time around, before my PS3 died for the 4th time, I was dominating AA and about 2 months into the season got called up to AAA and pretty much became the long-man for the team. Pitching occurrences were rare and I never got to start.

I just receieved my latest PS3 and have started RTTS but don't want this to happen again if possible.
Is there a decent way to prevent this from happening? I'd prefer staying at AA for the majority if not the entire season (unless I can get to AAA and start immediately). If I have a few bad games will I stay at AA, or perhaps if I don't achieve the Advancement Goals?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Well, you could stagger RTTS saves so you can fall back to a previous save (maybe change up the CPU/Team Logic), but those types of callups are commonplace in the Majors.

I've never had an RTTS pitcher, so I'm not an expert. The only thing I can guess is to ppitch well and hope you get an opening.

I use Zone hitting and a combo of Bobhead's sliders and my own adjustments. I think I actually uploaded the slider set into the Vault, just look for my name. It's a bit dated though because I made more tweaks since.

Finally got around to trying your sliders and switched to Zone hitting. Plays a much better game of baseball. Won a 4-3 nail biter against the Mariners as the Jays. Only 5 hits but a lot less foul tips. I felt like I had a lot more control at the plate.

Thanks!

Finally got around to trying your sliders and switched to Zone hitting. Plays a much better game of baseball. Won a 4-3 nail biter against the Mariners as the Jays. Only 5 hits but a lot less foul tips. I felt like I had a lot more control at the plate.

Thanks!
I'm glad it helped, I actually changed it again since I had more time to test it out when the OSFM OD set came out (played more RTTS/Franchise with it). If you want to updated set I'll PM them to you, I forgot to upload that.

The best part is when the adjustment is made that those balls I was Very Late/Just Late on turn into balls that are Good/OK contact.

Guys be VERY CAREFUL with this 1.16 update. I'm reading that alot of people are having freezing issues with their RTTS/Franchises. Copy your data on a separate USB if you can before DLing 1.16.

elohel

Are you a fan of baseball? Watch it frequently?

nope and nope

just heard it was a great game and have been dying to try it been playing it a bit today on beginner mode it's really fun just been doing pitching so far on road to the show or whatever

just figured if it's got great mechanics and there's a ton of content it'd be like playing any other good game just to clarify my main interest I guess

nope and nope

just heard it was a great game and have been dying to try it been playing it a bit today on beginner mode it's really fun just been doing pitching so far on road to the show or whatever

just figured if it's got great mechanics and there's a ton of content it'd be like playing any other good game just to clarify my main interest I guess

Yeah, just keep playing RttS as a pitcher and you'll slowly start to get everything. Actually, in 09 and 10 (the first two years I played it) that's pretty much all I did! These days, I've branched off to play all the fun modes, but RttS is still probably my favorite, especially as pitcher. Last year I made one of each, a batter and a pitcher and kind of floated back and forth between them.

elohel

Yeah, just keep playing RttS as a pitcher and you'll slowly start to get everything. Actually, in 09 and 10 (the first two years I played it) that's pretty much all I did! These days, I've branched off to play all the fun modes, but RttS is still probably my favorite, especially as pitcher. Last year I made one of each, a batter and a pitcher and kind of floated back and forth between them.

Yup that's what I'm doin so far and it's very very good great natural commentary great graphics and ai seems good(in that it's fun n stuff not sure how it compares to other games)

really great game so far, are the other modes essentially either like arcade(exhibition) or a management thing(diamond dynasty?)

Not sure what the other modes are

And dunno what 4fhs or whatever and ch mean either lol

but seems like there's a shit ton of content and modes for this game is that correct?

man they put a lot of love into this game

Yep, exhibition is just for pickup and play. Although you can change sliders and shuffle players around or edit existing players to be bad or good just to experiment and fool around.

Franchise is for playing a team through one or multiple seasons, which you can play, or sim all the games for more of a fantasy/manager type game.

Diamond Dynasty is a wild new thing they added this year where you create a completely new expansion team and name it, design the logo,everything, and play a strange but fun card system and play online if you want as well.

As for the pitch abbreviations you're talking about, 4SFB is four seam fast ball. Just a balls-to-the-wall, straight fast pitch. For most pitchers (but certainly not all), this is their main pitch (in the Show, X is the pitch that usually gets used the most, then the one assigned to the circle button, then triangle, then square).

CH is changeup. That's a slowball, basically, and it's usually used (in real life and in the game) to sneak in a strike on a batter who has seen a few fastballs in a row. If they've seen a 98 mph pitch twice, then suddenly the pitcher throws one at 68, they'll swing too early. Of course, a slow pitch is easier to hit in general, so it's best to use them only as a surprise. Although occasionally, throwing a changeup on the first pitch is a good strategy, because really nobody expects that.

A curveball (CV in the Show, I think) is a pitch that has some downward movement on it just as it enters the strike zone. So this either causes the batter to miss it, or maybe you can throw it above the strike zone and have it enter just as it gets there so the batter doesn't swing, thinking it's a ball and realizing too late that it will sink low enough to be a strike. Or throwing it low so they swing even though it drops out of the zone in the end. The best pitchers can throw one that goes from over the strike zone to below it, sometimes called a 12-to-6 curveball (like the positions on a clock). This is represented in The Show by four arrows straight down. A curveball is pretty slow, too, so like a changeup, deception is a big part of the strategy in using it.

A slider (SL maybe?) is a ball that has some horizontal movement to it. Same caveats apply as with the CH and CB. Although a slider is usually faster than the other two.

A 2SFB is a 2 Seam Fast Ball. It's a fastball like the 4SFB, but does have just a little bit of movement on it. In real life, it's harder to master than a Four Seam Fastball. And it probably tends to be just a touch slower, I think.

This (and the links it includes) is probably a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(baseball) The term "breaking ball" or "breaking pitch" just means a pitch that has movement as it approaches the zone.

elohel

Yep, exhibition is just for pickup and play. Although you can change sliders and shuffle players around or edit existing players to be bad or good just to experiment and fool around.

Franchise is for playing a team through one or multiple seasons, which you can play, or sim all the games for more of a fantasy/manager type game.

Diamond Dynasty is a wild new thing they added this year where you create a completely new expansion team and name it, design the logo,everything, and play a strange but fun card system and play online if you want as well.

As for the pitch abbreviations you're talking about, 4SFB is four seam fast ball. Just a balls-to-the-wall, straight fast pitch. For most pitchers (but certainly not all), this is their main pitch (in the Show, X is the pitch that usually gets used the most, then the one assigned to the circle button, then triangle, then square).

CH is changeup. That's a slowball, basically, and it's usually used (in real life and in the game) to sneak in a strike on a batter who has seen a few fastballs in a row. If they've seen a 98 mph pitch twice, then suddenly the pitcher throws one at 68, they'll swing too early. Of course, a slow pitch is easier to hit in general, so it's best to use them only as a surprise. Although occasionally, throwing a changeup on the first pitch is a good strategy, because really nobody expects that.

A curveball (CV in the Show, I think) is a pitch that has some downward movement on it just as it enters the strike zone. So this either causes the batter to miss it, or maybe you can throw it above the strike zone and have it enter just as it gets there so the batter doesn't swing, thinking it's a ball and realizing too late that it will sink low enough to be a strike. Or throwing it low so they swing even though it drops out of the zone in the end. The best pitchers can throw one that goes from over the strike zone to below it, sometimes called a 12-to-6 curveball (like the positions on a clock). This is represented in The Show by four arrows straight down. A curveball is pretty slow, too, so like a changeup, deception is a big part of the strategy in using it.

A slider (SL maybe?) is a ball that has some horizontal movement to it. Same caveats apply as with the CH and CB. Although a slider is usually faster than the other two.

A 2SFB is a 2 Seam Fast Ball. It's a fastball like the 4SFB, but does have just a little bit of movement on it. In real life, it's harder to master than a Four Seam Fastball. And it probably tends to be just a touch slower, I think.

This (and the links it includes) is probably a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(baseball) The term "breaking ball" or "breaking pitch" just means a pitch that has movement as it approaches the zone.

tytytyty

one of the other reasons I picked this game up is because of the community

seems like its pretty good no?

When will Bryce Harper be added on? I thought he might be on the new roster today but I can't find him
Since his debut was Saturday it wasn't in time for the Roster update. Download the OSFM OD Roster, or better yet HustlinOwl's OD 25-man roster.
tytytyty

one of the other reasons I picked this game up is because of the community

seems like its pretty good no?
Very, the guys at shownation and the OS Forums have done a massive amount of work on the roster/sliders/players.

ajf009

Im so fucking sick of hitting pitchers in their face or chest with line drives and having them throw me out at first like its nothing

Returners

Has anyone downloaded the latest patch via PS3 and have cross platform play with Vita?

Can it still be done? I read on theshownation forums that its borking EVERYTHING. I'm hesitant to transfer my vita season over...

Whats up guys. I have the Physical Copy of the The Show on Vita, but I am seriously contemplating trading it in and buying the Digital Download off the PSN Store since I play this game soooooooo much on Vita. Does anyone know if the load times are better/worse or pretty much the same. Also, will I be able to keep all of my sliders and options.

I'm not worried about RTTS, because I can cloud transfer it. However, if the game stores other data on the Cart, I might have to copy all of my options and sliders before doing so. I can't find a Physical Copy vs DD comparison anywhere on the net. Keep in mind all I really do is play RTTS, so I'm really only worried about that comparison.

Top Bottom