• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if it has been discussed but some help would be appreciated.

I just got the game the other day, started playing at my mom's house on her PS3 and TV and had no issues. Saved the game to the cloud, took it to my place and attempted to play. The game boots up fine with the initial screens and the video introduction thing, I load my RTTS character but as soon as that happens and I get to the menus and the actual game of baseball it turns into this:

YmAic.jpg

The screen shrinks and shifts to the upper left and partially off the screen. I tried googling but couldn't really find anything on the problem or how to fix it.

Also the sound disappears completely. I have tried restarting it a few times. Tried the game at 1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc. No dice. I'm thinking of deleting the save and uninstalling/reinstalling to see if that works but If there is something else, some other fix I should try or if this is a known problem it would be good to know first. Most likely I am just an idiot and am missing something obvious, wouldn't be the first time. So help would be much appreciated.

Also, when I took it back to my mom's I had no problem at all with it displaying correctly.

Thanks

Is it wierd that Joey Bats is on the Canadian version? Why not put a Canadian on the cover if youre going to play it like that? I'm not saying put Brett Laurie on the cover, but maybe Morneau or something...

Am I the only one who doesn't bother with the sliders? I always leave them at the default setting and never think about them again.

I always adjust the CPU's pitching control. I generally look counts as far as I can until I get something inside that I can pull, and even with not swinging at everything I find that I can rarely work a walk at the default settings. Turn the CPU pitching control down a few levels, and that generally gets it to what I see as reality -- about two walks a game.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I argued this with the devs too, and in explicit terms they broke down what each rating does... there is no code for a CPU comeback nowadays. What does exist is a bunch of different ratings/patterns the CPU tries to look for. A guy even is tracking this among OS Sports players and according to his research, there are less BS CPU comebacks so far. I mean I know what you're talking about, but even I gotta say I disagree with the bolded.

AI cheating is an essential aspect of game AI. Especially in sports games.

However comeback code is so 2007. These days it's like they are deliberately as transparent as possible. With the show it's just a mixture of fatigue, persistent data, and changing pitchers up. If one sees errors as apart of the comeback situation it's probably because AI fielders fucking suck and even with sliders set to 0 they are gonna give you three, four errors a game (at least with my RTTS experience leading up to the big show).

I've not experienced this "comeback" thing you guys are talking about. Maybe it's because you don't comeback against Mariano Rivera?

Unless your name is Luis Gonzalez and your team is the Arizona Diamondbacks and the year is 2001. Seriously: the only good moment Tim McCarver has ever had is calling to the yard what would happen in that bases-loaded fix.

The worst that happens for me in the ninth with the Yankees is some guy gets to fouling off three or four strikes, I aim a cut job at his head, he reels back, then the next pitch is outside, and he whiffs, and that strikeout chime plays. And that's why I love The Show!

I've gotten the hang of this game on the Vita and I've dumpe more hours into the Vita version than the PS3!

I love how the perfect game trophy is called "Million Dollar Arm" =P

Riggs

Banned
Ya, I got a trophy for hitting a foul ball into the aquarium/backstop at Marlins new stadium lol. Poor fishies :(

PERCENTAGE COMPLETE AS OF APRIL 1st
98.5%
M.K.
Knight165
The initial(Spring Training) release (likely tomorrow!) will be off the 3/6 SCEA update.

There will be the second release(Opening Day) set that MIGHT be off NEXT Monday's update....if there is significant reason to do so.

Either way....there will be a second release that will firm up any changes from our initial release as well as tightening up lineups and rotations. For the most part...player wise....it will be EXTREMELY close to the initial release.

Ridin' and I will discuss what we want to do for updates during the year.
I'm sure he needs a bit of a break right now though....if nothing else....just to clear his head a bit.
He's been working on these like a mad man for a month now.

M.K.
Knight165

demotivational-posters-i-have.jpg

Still could use some more people for the League! 30 Teams, 30 GAFfers!

ajf009

So I just tried for the steal a base with a catcher trophy, I did a double steal with Matt Weiters on first and the damn game didn't give it to me! Maybe it's cheating to do a double steal since the cpu will throw it to the guy going to third.. but I still got a steal, give me the trophy!

So I just tried for the steal a base with a catcher trophy, I did a double steal with Matt Weiters on first and the damn game didn't give it to me! Maybe it's cheating to do a double steal since the cpu will throw it to the guy going to third.. but I still got a steal, give me the trophy!
I think the wording is that he needs to be a 100% catcher, he can't be a C/1B. What position was he playing?

ajf009

I think the wording is that he needs to be a 100% catcher, he can't be a C/1B. What position was he playing?

the wording says 'steal a base with a player whose primary position is Catcher' and Matt Weiters is a catcher, he has no 2nd position. And he was playing Catcher, if that matters

the wording says 'steal a base with a player whose primary position is Catcher' and Matt Weiters is a catcher, he has no 2nd position. And he was playing Catcher, if that matters
...that's nuts. You can report it as a bug in theshownation.com and they may be able to fix that there.

According to Ridin's Tweet, the OSFM Full Minors Rosters will be ready by 6:30 EST today. The OSFM Opening Day Rosters will be ready sometime next Wednesday or Thursday.

Get your popcorn ready.

eznark

Banned
The Show always has glitched trophies. I'm still pissed about not getting the Gold for finishing an online season in 2010.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just picked it up yesterday it is pretty awesome. Been doing the Road to the Show and started a franchise with the Yankees.

This will be my first year using the Operation Sports rosters. Just to clear something up -- the only real difference between the "Spring Training" release and the "Opening Day" release in a week is that the Opening Day release will be with the finalized lineups and pitching rotations, right? Whereas I assume the ST release will just be an educated guess at who'll be in those positions.

If there's no difference in the actual players between the two, then I'll start my season and franchise when the ST roster comes out today. Super excited. :)

This will be my first year using the Operation Sports rosters. Just to clear something up -- the only real difference between the "Spring Training" release and the "Opening Day" release in a week is that the Opening Day release will be with the finalized lineups and pitching rotations, right? Whereas I assume the ST release will just be an educated guess at who'll be in those positions.

If there's no difference in the actual players between the two, then I'll start my season and franchise when the ST roster comes out today. Super excited. :)
Spring Training - Full minor league players and prospects
Opening Day - Full minors leaguers + all players that are on 40-man on Opening Day PLUS guys who are in majors for 1st time. For instances the OD set will have guys like Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes, where the ST set I don't believe will have them, or you'd have a guessimation of them/have to DL the player from the Vault.

OSFM v2 is gonna be the equipment, stance & motion edits. The OD release is serving as v1.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the braves signed chad durbin to a major league deal.

wha?

edit: heh wrong thread.

something on topic. my RTTS pitcher got traded to the twins. what did he do to deserve that?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ugh i see that they still haven't implemented a search feature for the vault.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
What is the key to pitching?

I have no problem getting the pulse meter (or whatever) to stop on its smallest size, but you still have seemingly no control of where the ball is going to go. I mean, I aim low and outside, but the pulse meter, even when it is smallest, still covers at least 25% of the strike zone and the damn pitch ends up going right down the pipe.

What is the key to pitching?

I have no problem getting the pulse meter (or whatever) to stop on its smallest size, but you still have seemingly no control of where the ball is going to go. I mean, I aim low and outside, but the pulse meter, even when it is smallest, still covers at least 25% of the strike zone and the damn pitch ends up going right down the pipe.
Switch to Meter pitching?

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Is it wierd that Joey Bats is on the Canadian version? Why not put a Canadian on the cover if youre going to play it like that? I'm not saying put Brett Laurie on the cover, but maybe Morneau or something...

I don't think it is weird at all.

Don't you think that Canadians are more likely to be fans of a Canadian team than a Canadian player? Does anybody care where a player is from unless you are watching the Olympics?

Ok, if anyone else is still interested in the GAF League we plan to start about next week when the next OS Roster is released. Here are the teams/open spots.

AL East
Baltimore Orioles - CRIP4LIFE
Boston Red Sox - Sanjuro Tsubaki
New York Yankees - pistolpete2940
Tampa Bay Rays - darkside31337
Toronto Blue Jays - VACANT

AL Central
Chicago White Sox - VACANT
Cleveland Indians - Ramirez
Detroit Tigers - Square Triangle
Kansas City Royals - Duane Cunningham
Minnesota Twins - VACANT

AL West
Los Angeles Angels - Dmncnby2k9
Oakland Athletics - FrenchMovieTheater
Seattle Mariners - goldlion054
Texas Rangers - DCX

NL East
Atlanta Braves - AnEternalEnigma
Miami Marlins - ph33nix
New York Mets - The Frankman
Philadelphia Phillies - DenogginizerOS
Washington Nationals - Kave_Man

NL Central
Chicago Cubs - Mrbob
Cincinnati Reds - jmitchell
Houston Astros - VACANT
Milwaukee Brewers - eznark
Pittsburgh Pirates - VACANT
St. Louis Cardinals - Shiv47

NL West
Arizona Diamondbacks - acheron_xl
Colorado Rockies - Fenix
Los Angeles Dodgers - VACANT
San Diego Padres - ecnal
San Francisco Giants - Corran Horn

according to the Google doc in the 1st page of our league thread we have 5 teams available. Post if you want in!

I have a question about franchise mode. Usually I play season mode because I just want to play one season and not have to worry about drafting, team management et cetera. But this year is the first where I'm using the OS rosters, and I'd like to have the ability to play with more than a 40 man roster, even though I'll still only play for one season.

So... I know you can play Franchise mode for just one season, but my question is if I do that, will I have to worry about doing things like upgrading the stadium and coaching staff and medical facilities and stuff like that, or can I ignore all that and play it like season mode?

I have a question about franchise mode. Usually I play season mode because I just want to play one season and not have to worry about drafting, team management et cetera. But this year is the first where I'm using the OS rosters, and I'd like to have the ability to play with more than a 40 man roster, even though I'll still only play for one season.

So... I know you can play Franchise mode for just one season, but my question is if I do that, will I have to worry about doing things like upgrading the stadium and coaching staff and medical facilities and stuff like that, or can I ignore all that and play it like season mode?
Trying to go by memory... you can set those settings to Auto so the CPU does all that stuff, however you may want to adjust a few things manually yourself to make sure your team has cash on hand and is staying profitable.

Why is it that this game doesn't give a damn about your rosters? I spent 45 minutes constructing a perfectly accurate MLB through AA roster for the Mariners, saved it a zillion times, and any time I start a franchise or a Road to the Show, the game just gives me the damn middle finger. Even when I quit to the main menu, some weird screwed up default rosters load every time no matter how many times I load up my custom rosters.

So now I've spent an hour working on my RTTS player's appearance and the rosters are completely bogus, some weird permutation of my all-minors roster where dudes have all been reassigned all over the place.

Like does it think I spent 45 minutes perfecting the AA bullpen for fun? Cause it as shit sure wasn't.

It's 2012 why doesn't this stuff just work. Ugh.

Why is it that this game doesn't give a damn about your rosters? I spent 45 minutes constructing a perfectly accurate MLB through AA roster for the Mariners, saved it a zillion times, and any time I start a franchise or a Road to the Show, the game just gives me the damn middle finger. Even when I quit to the main menu, some weird screwed up default rosters load every time no matter how many times I load up my custom rosters.

So now I've spent an hour working on my RTTS player's appearance and the rosters are completely bogus, some weird permutation of my all-minors roster where dudes have all been reassigned all over the place.

Like does it think I spent 45 minutes perfecting the AA bullpen for fun? Cause it as shit sure wasn't.

It's 2012 why doesn't this stuff just work. Ugh.

Yeah, the game likes to fuck with the rosters when you shift from Spring Training to regular season. Not sure why. Just make sure you have all the right peeps on the 40 man and do your adjustments on the first day of regular season. Make sure you're using Knights roster pack too!

oatmeal

Banned
Picked this up the other day...last one I had was 10.

Great game. You can really feel the difference from the ball physics. Adds a ton of realism.

I feel like the graphics are a bit less sharp this year...lighting is about the same. I like the collision detection, and RAIN! I was happy to see rain.

The pulse pitching is pretty good, I think I like meter better but I'm sticking with pulse. Franchise is franchise, nothing really new. RTTS seems about the same.

The weekly challenge is awesome, but I'm not very good at hitting so I topped out around 300K. Diamond Dynasty I don't really understand, can I actually play games or is it just a card game?

And finally, the play by play is improved but not too much. It's still so much better than Madden. Madden has the worst commentary ever.

Quick

Banned
Play-by-play is still pretty much the same as last year. At least, I hear no difference. I think it needs work, but at the same time, baseball commentary is pretty accurate to it.

I remember a game I was playing in MLB 11 (RTTS), and I had a no-hitter going into the 7th inning, when they suddenly said something along the lines of "through six, he still has that no-hitter going. Oops, I hope I didn't jinx it." And the next batter got a single. I threw my hands up in the air and just sighed.

Picked this up the other day...last one I had was 10.

Great game. You can really feel the difference from the ball physics. Adds a ton of realism.

I feel like the graphics are a bit less sharp this year...lighting is about the same. I like the collision detection, and RAIN! I was happy to see rain.

The pulse pitching is pretty good, I think I like meter better but I'm sticking with pulse. Franchise is franchise, nothing really new. RTTS seems about the same.

The weekly challenge is awesome, but I'm not very good at hitting so I topped out around 300K. Diamond Dynasty I don't really understand, can I actually play games or is it just a card game?

And finally, the play by play is improved but not too much. It's still so much better than Madden. Madden has the worst commentary ever.
You actually play games, there's a nice in-depth Diamond Dynasty Tutorial in-game that explains everything. The customization is amazing...
Play-by-play is still pretty much the same as last year. At least, I hear no difference. I think it needs work, but at the same time, baseball commentary is pretty accurate to it.

I remember a game I was playing in MLB 11 (RTTS), and I had a no-hitter going into the 7th inning, when they suddenly said something along the lines of "through six, he still has that no-hitter going. Oops, I hope I didn't jinx it." And the next batter got a single. I threw my hands up in the air and just sighed.
lol ASSHOLE COMMENTATOR JINX.
Yeah, the game likes to fuck with the rosters when you shift from Spring Training to regular season. Not sure why. Just make sure you have all the right peeps on the 40 man and do your adjustments on the first day of regular season. Make sure you're using Knights roster pack too!
There's a trick to doing it. Right before Spring training ends, take 15 players off the 40-man so the 25 people you want to start the season with remain. Advance to the regular season, then re-add the 15 players back on the 40-man. Your lineups/pitchers will all be intact and fine.

Playing my RTTS career, anyone notice the type of hit variety is a bit better?

What do you mean by 'hit variety'?

Sort of unrelated, but my rookie first baseman just hit a league leading 34 home runs for the Cubs. I guess that's what happens when you put all your training into plate vision and power vs. right handers. It's the first year I've ever gone with that strategy. I ended with a .240 average and .298 OBP though; it was sort of a go-for-broke approach with the power swing. Somebody has to get rid of that man with the 73 HR record.

(Incidentally, I didn't choose the Cubs. Started out with the Yankees, and while I was tearing up AAA they traded me for Ryan Dempster. Worst trade of all time. Who trades the next Babe Ruth for Ryan Dempster? I guess it's programmed into the game that a position player always get traded in their first year.)

What do you mean by 'hit variety'?
Last year, on Default you never saw anything but liners and flyballs. No real Baltimore chops, intermediate bloops, dribblers. Out of the box this year on Default I see pretty good variety of contact.
Sort of unrelated, but my rookie first baseman just hit a league leading 34 home runs for the Cubs. I guess that's what happens when you put all your training into plate vision and power vs. right handers. It's the first year I've ever gone with that strategy. I ended with a .240 average and .298 OBP though; it was sort of a go-for-broke approach with the power swing. Somebody has to get rid of that man with the 73 HR record.

(Incidentally, I didn't choose the Cubs. Started out with the Yankees, and while I was tearing up AAA they traded me for Ryan Dempster. Worst trade of all time. Who trades the next Babe Ruth for Ryan Dempster? I guess it's programmed into the game that a position player always get traded in their first year.)
It depends alot on Roster Depth/need. I've played full seasons bouncing from AA and AAA w/o being dealt alot. I will say though unless I impress, my RTTS 2nd baseman on the Mets stands a decent shot to be traded.

abrack08

I know this post is a bit old, but, I think the problem is that it was a double steal. I doubt, if you do a double steal and the lead runner gets thrown out at 3rd, that the guy who ends up on 2nd gets credited with a steal Would probably go down as indifference or something, since they were trying to throw out the OTHER guy.

Top Bottom