• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So after months of interest and reading and genuinely scared of it (lots of fat? What the f?) I jumped in this past Monday to get rid of most carbs and go keto. Just so you have an idea of my current health and fitness Here's an overview :

275 pounds.
6'2
Pre Diabetes
Hypothyroidism
High blood pressure
Lazy Vesicle

So as you see, I am quite screwed. It's just been thanks to a series of life decisions : constant drinking, bad food, overall high levels of stress always, etc. What kicked me in into this? Sugar. My fasting glucose was about 100 for the past several months but lately I am getting readings over 115. This has scared the hell out of me. I do not want to live with diabetes.... NO. So I decided to jump into doing the ketogenic diet this past Monday. On Sunday I went shopping and following several guides here in Reddit I bought some foods I wasn't buying due to being "bad"... Bacon, sausage, more red meats, avocado oil, coconut oil and like 3 dozen eggs. I cut my carbs cold... I am trying to track them but I am pretty sure I've been under 30 these past days. My only carbs are from coffee with milk and the veggies and some almonds.

Truth be told, I am scared. I spoke with my doctor about it and it was a straight "No, you are gonna die" type of thing but I shrugged it off and jumped in. I have been taught since little that fat is bad. I am going to give this a long chance. Hopefully I'll post updates and I'll get some people to join over to this ho journey. My support system is weak, since most of my friends keep saying "WTF are you doing?" and even my girlfriend is a bit wary although giving me a chance.

I am on the third day, no keto flu yet. I do have a slight headache but that's about it. I've been drinking tons of water (I usually do, I like water) and I upped sodium intake today. I am walking 3 miles every two days since February and so far I haven't had to change that due to the diet. This weekend will be challenging as people are coming over and the peer pressure to drink and eat will be there. I read that Michelob Ultras are a good substitute since they are low carb so I may drink a few just to avoid the pressure. If some of you have tips for this I'd appreciate it.

I will weight myself this week but this Monday I weighted 275. I expect to post updates every few days. I don't have a weight goal honestly just feel better and be slightly healthier. That's all I want. /rant over

gaiages

Banned
Hi! I started last week, we can be keto buddies <3

That said, I don't have much for advice other than to get some chicken and beef buillions and drink some broth if you start feeling shitty. It helps balance your sodium and electrolytes and, well, tastes good too!

Also you may have to supplement potassium and magnesium, depending on your dietary preferences. I'm going to buy some powder with my next paycheck (my potassium is really damn low), I'll let you know how it goes.

But I mainly came in to offer you good vibes and steal some of the advice you'll get. :3~ And no, you're not going to die, lol. You might feel like it for a bit with keto flu, but you won't actually die :p

BearPawB

Banned
I have been (mostly...had a few beers here and there) paleo since November.

Started 268 lbs, currently 232 and struggling to get below that (i'm 6'4")

Eating out at places can be tough. "No cheese, no rolls, no pasta, no rice"
But eating day to day at home is pretty easy.

I eat a lot of nuts (but try not to go crazy, they are easy to over indulge).
And a lot of meats, fruit and veggies.

It's a pretty simple diet all things considered.

For drinks, I will do a cider. It's not technically paleo, but feels close, just look for the ones with the lowest sugar.
I also drink a lot of those bad "sparkling water" alcoholic drinks. Not technically paleo but they have almost no carbs/sugar

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Cauliflower.

edit: i get leg cramps when im in deep ketosis. Lack of potassium. i used to take supplements but now i just take a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and im good.

Thaedolus

Cauliflower.

I ate so much of it last time I did keto it literally makes me dry heave now. Go to /r/ketorecipes for ideas once the meat and cheese gets old.

I went from ~270 - 228 last year, currently at 235 and just started again. I've not really dieted at all since November, just been very active and put on some muscle. Hoping to drop about 20 pounds in the next 7 weeks, then go on a cruise, then get down to 195 and stay there forever

D23

Ur fart gonna be stink for a while..

Drink lots of water.

Eggs and bacon for bfast everyday!!!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I ate so much of it last time I did keto it literally makes me dry heave now. Go to /r/ketorecipes for ideas once the meat and cheese gets old.

If you have it just as is yea it gets old but once i discovered ricing cauliflower things never get boring. Hard for me to get tired of fried "rice."

Obviously the food choices are the hardest part, especially if you go out to eat or drink with friends, but one of the most important parts, IMO, is to have realistic expectations. You're probably going to slip. It happens. Carbs are delicious. But when you do slip, remember that it's only a minor step in the wrong direction. Don't let yourself spiral out of control based on a few bad days. Dust yourself off, refocus on your goals and get right back on the horse.

Also, remember that while it's harder to overeat since you are cutting down significantly on one of the three macronutrients, it is still possible to not lose/gain weight. So make smart decisions, eat lots of green leafy vegetables and dont just stuff your face full of red meat and avocados because they are low carb. That doesnt mean you can completely disregard your caloric intake.

I don't get how people get bad gas and shits with keto. I rarely fart and I have ghost shits daily.

Best advice is to chug through the first week or so of misery. My body adjusting to keto has been awful but since Xmas I've lost over a stone. 174lb down two 150lb.

Have a cheat day once a month to preserve sanity.

Lister

Banned
Some tips:

Know what to expect - The first week will be tough. You will have cravings, you will feel like you have very low energy levels. But things change pretty fast after the first week or two. As ketosis sets in your energy levels go up, your hunger levels go down (this was the biggest revelation and game changer for me - my huge hunger cravings that I've lived with for decades, DISAPPEARED, I no longer spent half the time at the zoo with my family, thinking about lunch/dinner/snacks, and instead was fully enjoying the moments, holy shit that was an amazing thing for me).

So for that first weke or two, I would suggest getting rid of anything carbs in your home (this is easier ot do if you are by yourself, much harder with a family or partner), and indulge in high fat foods. Grab lunch at Wendys and get a tripple burger (without bun, no ketchup , mustard is fine if you like that), and as your cravings start to subside decrease the amount of unhealthy fats, and increase the amounts of healthy ones - fatty fish, leaner, home made meats, nuts, cheeses, etc. Also, you NEED to include high fiber vegetables. The few carbs per day you allow yourself (under 10 to start, then under 20 as often as you can) should mostly come from high fiber vegetables. You need this or you will have issues with constipation.

Variety is the spice of life, and even as a big meat eater, it's hard not to get bored with a Keto diet fast, if you don't diversify your dishes. Look for recipes, check out low carb options from your favorite restaurants for when you're going out.

I ended up loving Spaghetti Squash and especially cauliflower! So versatile. Cauliflower can be rice, can be mashed potatoes! One of my fave recipes is a Shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower and cheese on top instead of the usual mashed potatoes. Spaghetti squash and Zuccini sliced up like spaghetti cna be a great substitute for pasta.

Just keep on looking for recipes, and trying new things, and also don't be afraid to designate a carb day or two every month (though not during your first month). Especially if you follow it up with some weight training afterwards. For me, special occasions like birthdays are carb days, and usually I end up not partaking much anyway ;)

Good luck!

EDIT: Forgot, especially at the beginning, but probably for a long while, you REALLY want to back everything up with a calorie counting app. Load one up that makes it easy to scan or search food items to keep track, so you know precisely how many carbs and nutrients you are taking in. Make sure you do a little cardeo and some weight training at least a few times a week, and watch the pounds drop!

badb0y

Me too OP. Last year at this time I was like 205-210 and since starting Pharmacy school I'm now 250 lbs. That's not sustainable so I'm looking to start my keto diet again. It works really well it's just tough to adhere to.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My tip: Don't do it.

It's not so easy to keep your carbs low enough as sugar is in like in fucking everything and then when you have cut out all the hidden sugar you are left with quite high calorie meals (as you eat lots of fat now) that do not fill you and keep you hungry most of the time.

My tip: Smaller, healthier meals spread throughout the day. It's a lot easier, healthier and you'll feel better overall.

It's not so easy to keep your carbs low enough as sugar is in like in fucking everything and then when you have cut out all the hidden sugar you are left with quite high calorie meals (as you eat lots of fat now) that do not fill you and keep you hungry most of the time.

My tip: Smaller, healthier meals spread throughout the day. It's a lot easier, healthier and you'll feel better overall.

You see I've tried this method and I don't have the willpower.
I always eat more than I should and I tell myself I will eat less later to balance it out.

When I do keto I can stick to what I know I can eat.

McLovin

Yeah throw all that fat is bad stuff out the window. The diet works period. Most people experience drastic improvements in their blood work, mood, energy, everything. I did it for over a year and lost over a 120 lbs with no side effects. I stupidly went on a bulk(with carbs) and gained 50lbs back, I'm in the process of losing them now (back on keto, I'm down 23lbs) You're probably going to go through sugar withdrawal. It was like that detox scene in Ray for me. But trust me man its worth it. I eat lots of bacon, eggs, meats, and cheeses. I also make sure to eat fish once in a while and broccoli or spinach everyday. I limit nuts because those calories add up quickly. I also drink coffee with heavy cream and lots of water throughout the day. Protip: most of that sugar free crap is garbage. For me personally things with aspartame and sucralose will stall me out. I almost exclusively use erythritol as a sweetener since it doesn't seem to slow anything down. Quest bars are pretty good too IMO. Low carb dressings are pretty good too(blue cheese, ranch, olive oil, etc.)
edit-Also don't tell people what your doing until your a few weeks in. Everyone thinks your crazy and they get super defensive. Like you're challenging their way of life or something. Results will speak for themselves. Reddits Keto community is legit, so use them for help too.

On keto if I eat until im full I would probably consume about 2500 calories max, If I switch to carbs I'll go to 5000 calories and thats on the low side. Just because you couldn't do it, it doesn't mean it's not right for him.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You see I've tried this method and I don't have the willpower.
I always eat more than I should and I tell myself I will eat less later to balance it out.

When I do keto I can stick to what I know I can eat.
I really don't see where the difference is in the initial effort. Just use MyFitnessPal or something like that, take your time and note what you should eat per day and then divide the meals (high calorie meals in the morning and low calorie meals in the evening). There is no "eat more" here. You have it black on white. That's what you should eat.

And sorry, but Keto is not a miracle diet. It's not like you can eat whatever you want as long as no carbs are in there. Eat 3 kg meat per day and you're going to gain weight, regardless if there are carbs in here or not.

eosos

Banned
Wait so KETO is just low carbs and higher fat/protein? What kind of a doc would be concerned with that? Its like the most standard cut when weight training.

Just eat chicken, eggs, and veggies. Literally all I eat and its simple. Hot sauce is your friend.

kalgore

Neo Member
Give it some time and you wont die. My doctor even encouraged it and after seeing my results has been considering trying it himself.

I went keto Jan 4th of 2014 and have stayed on it about 95% of the time up until now.

I am 6'5 and started at 380lbs, got as low as 230 and currently weigh about 250. I had my doctor run bloodwork every 6mths for the first two years or so and my numbers got better each time.

Most people initially lose weight just from switching but eventually calories mattered for me which is why I didn't ever hit my goal of 210 (healthy BMI @ 6'5).

Careful around those almonds. Nuts in general are dangerous to any diet plan. So easy to overeat.

I have been (mostly...had a few beers here and there) paleo since November.

Started 268 lbs, currently 232 and struggling to get below that (i'm 6'4")

Eating out at places can be tough. "No cheese, no rolls, no pasta, no rice"
But eating day to day at home is pretty easy.

I eat a lot of nuts (but try not to go crazy, they are easy to over indulge).
And a lot of meats, fruit and veggies.

It's a pretty simple diet all things considered.

For drinks, I will do a cider. It's not technically paleo, but feels close, just look for the ones with the lowest sugar.
I also drink a lot of those bad "sparkling water" alcoholic drinks. Not technically paleo but they have almost no carbs/sugar

You can eat cheese on a keto diet, can't you? It's high in fat content, which helps makes up (energy wise) for the lack of carbs
Edit: I missed the fact you said you were doing paleo not keto

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Thanks for the tips an encouragement guys :). 60 ounces of water down. I think I am going to to order a half chicken for lunch with veggies. I know chicken isn't full of fat, but mostly proteins, but the BBQ place I go they have a olive oil gravy thingie so I might ask for that.

I went from pre-diabetes to almost perfect bloodwork in 6 month sticking to simple 1800 calorie diet. Just pick something that works for you instead of trying to stick to complicated diet. Keep in mind that this is not something temporary that you need to do, but something you have to watch for the rest of your life. That's why doctors don't recommend low carb diets even to diabetic patients.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Enjoy a diet that actively encourages you to eat fatty steaks cooked in butter. Making a rib steak right now.

Keto will still sort of work if you are still drinking alcohol, as long as it's not beer or sweet wine, but really what will be best for you is to wean yourself off of drinking almost entirely. The benefits go far beyond fewer carbs and calories consumed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On keto if I eat until im full I would probably consume about 2500 calories max, If I switch to carbs I'll go to 5000 calories and thats on the low side. Just because you couldn't do it, it doesn't mean it's not right for him.
You could be right. I generally have the problem that I am never truly full regardless of what and how much I eat (suspect I fucked up my digestion over the years with all the diets), so keto is really nothing for me at all cause you up the calories extremely fast with high fat meals. So the only thing I took out of it is that I felt horrible.

@OP: Well, if you're going to do it, prepare your anus. Going into Ketosis will be the worst day or two of your life.

Invest in Quest bars.

Too expensive, get the Costco alternatives.

Low carb is expensive, so buy things in bulk or off cuts, I buy end cuts of bacon at I think $2 a lb? Costco has La Tortilla Factory Low Carb wraps, 20 for $6, make a breakfast burrito with some eggs and end cut bacon. Costco bacon is also very good and priced nicely.

Also chicken thighs are so much better than chicken breast.

I found that heavy whipped cream was great on keto, for me it was hard to get enough calories, so I used that since it's calorie dense. Lost about 30lbs on keto and can't wait to leave this training environment so I can start it again. This time with weight lifting.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I'm similar to you body-wise (6'3") and have done this now twice (once starting at 280 and this year I started at 268), the first time I ended up at 190 and right now I am at 233. It works, you just have to stick with it. And if you have a bad/cheat day, don't beat yourself up, just get right back on the wagon the next day. That I feel is maybe more important than anything. But you can do this!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I went from pre-diabetes to almost perfect bloodwork in 6 month sticking to simple 1800 calorie diet. Just pick something that works for you instead of trying to stick to complicated diet. Keep in mind that this is not something temporary that you need to do, but something you have to watch for the rest of your life. That's why doctors don't recommend low carb diets even to diabetic patients.

I perfectly understand this. CICO (Calories In, calories out). Right now I first want to focus on being healthier, and depending in that I will make further adjustments. My sugar problems come from the fuckton of carbs I eat, not sugar drinks or juices so I need to focus on those carbs first and then ease back on in a few months if I feel like it.

Smellycat

Keto works in the short term. The problem with it is that once you stop it and go back to eating whatever, you will gain all that weight back in record time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Also, just a note, it's my third day and I feel full of energy not, not tired at all. I did have a very heave a very heavy breakfast so that might be it but I don't feel as shitty as I did the last two weeks. It's impossible to have begun the keto process this quick right?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Keto works in the short term. The problem with it is that once you stop it and go back to eating whatever, you will gain all that weight back in record time.

You have to transition off it, unless you plan on staying on keto forever. Just like a normal diet where you're in a deficit, you have to slowly integrate carbs back in and make sure your calories are at maintenance levels for a month or two. Yo-yo'ing in weight is a very real thing and its often due to not allowing your body to become used to your new weight and metabolic needs.

Drey1082

I just did a month of keto and lost almost 20 pounds. (10 of which in the first week).

My tips:

- The first week is brutal. I didn't have any "Keto Flu"-like symptoms, but my mental clarity was highly impacted. A lot of zoning out mentally and an extreme lack of focus. Completely understandable as my brain's primary food source was completely cut off. Therefore, do not start this diet if you have any big projects or tests that need a big amount of attention.
- However, by the end of the week, i was feeling better than I did previously. it was like one day my mental clarity was back and I felt excellent. So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

- Learn to love advacados. They are an excellent food for keto, since they provide a lot of the nutrients that the keto diet lacks (like magnesium and potassium). Eating advacatos will make you feel better if you're having keto flu symptoms, and are perfect for your macros if you're looking for more fat and less protein.

-Do not weigh yourself constantly. Limit your weigh-ins to once a week, preferably at the same time each day (I did mine after waking up on Mondays). Your weight fluctuates so much that daily weigh ins are useless and could possibly be discouraging.

-If your someone who typically eats out, i recommend the following:
-Salad bowls at chipotle with no beans or rice, and no sour cream. Sour cream is typically OK with Keto, but the Chipotle sour cream has some sort of carby filler to add consistency. Stay away.
- Jimmy Johns unwich-es
- Most decent burger places will do a burger with a lettuce wrap, I went to 5 guys a few times and got a burger with a lettuce wrap, just to satisfy that craving.

- If your looking for snacks, I would stay clear of nuts (fine in moderation, but not ideal.
Eat olives. I was going through green olives like crazy.

I've gone off the diet currently due to hitting my target weight, (and being able to enjoy family parties, the occasional beer, etc), but during my keto time, it was the best I've ever felt. Good Luck.

Lamel

Banned
Good luck, any sort of lifestyle modification is great as long as you ease into it and do it safely. But I would not recommend red meat (especially if processed) if your goal is to prevent diabetes:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28183449/?i=7&from=red meat diabetes

This is one study, but there are multiple links between red and processed meat consumption and insulin resistance.

Here is a good intro article if you're interested in the topic: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20130617/red-meat-linked-to-increased-diabetes-risk

kalgore

Neo Member
You could be right. I generally have the problem that I am never truly full regardless of what and how much I eat (suspect I fucked up my digestion over the years with all the diets), so keto is really nothing for me at all cause you up the calories extremely fast with high fat meals. So the only thing I took out of it is that I felt horrible.

@OP: Well, if you're going to do it, prepare your anus. Going into Ketosis will be the worst day or two of your life.

We must be total opposites. I can eat carbs forever. I was on a short vacation with my family last weekend and must have crushed 15 french toast sticks with maple syrup at breakfast and could have easily kept going. Eating keto I actually get the feeling of satiation. I haven't ruled out that I may have a binge eating disorder but for me keto keeps this under control and I feel much better.

I tend to get constipated when entering ketosis though both are common. I am re-adapting this week (usually takes me 48 hours) but I still have flu symptoms today and I haven't had carbs since Saturday. Sadly I haven't shit since Sunday.

These kinds of mixed results are what makes diet/fitness so difficult. Everyone is a bit different the stack that works for me is:

Keto
16/8 Intermittent Fasting
Fasted workouts at 5am on week days and 7am on weekends (4 days lifting upper/lower split, 3 days cardio)

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else as a full solution to just drag and drop in. I've tested a ton of things to find this balance.

Starviper

I've been wanting to actually invest in this diet plan, been (more or less) cleaning out the remaining stuff in my fridge. I'm at the point where I could get started on it within the week, got a couple beers and some other gluten to eat up.

Is there some good meal plans // reference guides you all can link?

kalgore

Neo Member

If you go back to eating the exact way you did before of course you will. Some people I know that have fallen off the diet wagon eat worse when they go back to "regular" eating. Almost like they're making up for lost time.

Malvolio

OP, you are me 5 years ago. You are absolutely doing the right thing and for the right reason. Keto saved my life by breaking my sugar addiction. My goal was never weight loss, but proper health. Losing 150 lbs. was really just a nice side effect.

I've been on it for 5 of the last 6 months, lost 50+ lbs. My daily carbs are usually less than 25, but I've gone up to 40 without leaving keto. My daily calories are usually 1200-1600, with a weekly calorie cheat (2000 on Fridays) and a monthly carb weekend (easy everything I miss on the diet).

Carb-sense tortillas (Mission brand or others) are a miracle. Whenever you're craving bread (or honestly whenever you want), wrap your keto meals in these 3-6 carb (net, depending on size) tortillas. I probably have 3 of these a day on average.

Sausage is an extremely easy meal. Buy a few varieties, make some aioli or mustard sauces, wrap in tortillas or serve with steamed (in bag if you're lazy) brocolli and cheese. 20 minute meal prep and delicious.

Wingstop bone-in/classic wings are keto friendly for many of their flavors. They make for a great calorie (but not carb) "cheat" meal if you really crave delicious fried goodness. Get them well done. My personal favorite flavors are Louisiana Rub, Cajun, and Garlic Parm. Their ranch is also keto friendly! Here's a menu with their stuff, check the carb count. Enter your zip and you'll get a local menu. Other wing places may also work, but most don't have their nutrition info so you'll have to guess.

If you want to test if you're in keto, get some ketone urinalysis strips. You can avoid the keto flu (aside from the shits) by eating some more salt in your meals (sparingly obv... only if you feel symptoms. You should get plenty of salt just because of the types of food you're eating).

Honestly if you want to drink, drink hard liquor instead of beer. The alcohol is processed differently from carbs, so as long as you're drinking spirits (vodka, whiskey, gin, etc), it won't knock you out of keto. The calories still count though! When I go to bars with friends I get rum&diet coke, whiskey&diet, or things like that.

Diet sodas are great to satisfy a sweet tooth. I've been drinking copious amounts daily with no issues. Don't believe the bro science about diet sodas and alcohol. Look for real science before coming to conclusions that they're murderous for a keto diet (absolute horseshit).

CALORIES STILL MATTER! The "magic" of keto is that you shouldn't get hungry nearly as often and that your meals, if they hit the 65-75% fat (calorically) mark, should keep you satisfied. It is easily the least hungry I've ever been, and I've been running an enormous calorie deficit. Prep some 100 calorie snacks if you get hungry (my personal favorite is coffee&heavy cream with splenda-sweetened flavor syrups because I was a Starbucks guy) and try to only eat one of those a day (if any). Track your calories, build the meals you make in the app until you get a feel for what and how much you should be eating. Make sure you're running a deficit or the only weight you'll lose is the initial water weight from going into keto (that will come back when you go back to a regular diet, btw).

Reddit r/keto is a great resource for anything keto-related. They go a little crazy sometimes (they limit your food options too much imo), but it's what I used for my first few months to build a meal plan. My whole family has since switched to keto and we've all had great results.

bearbomb

Neo Member
I need to get back on this. I'll tell ya straight up, I've eaten shitty for the better part of half a year or more again and gained my weight back.

It's tough man. Don't give up though, that first week or two is the hardest. You're gonna feel like garbage, you're gonna want to eat all the garbage too, you're gonna wanna give in because the sugar and carbs make you feel good again. I know all too well!

When you make it past that initial period, you're gonna stop craving carbs though! You are going to drop weight, and fast, you are gonna feel so much better too! So there is light at the end of that tunnel!

One tip I would offer which kept me more accountable is to use a food tracker as well to count calories(not as important but I still did it) and track your carbs for your day!

Other than that, get creative! There's lots of delicious food to be had out there, egg salad wraps, big mac salad, taco salad ect ect!

Lister

Banned
Thanks for the tips an encouragement guys :). 60 ounces of water down. I think I am going to to order a half chicken for lunch with veggies. I know chicken isn't full of fat, but mostly proteins, but the BBQ place I go they have a olive oil gravy thingie so I might ask for that.

Make sure the chicken is mostly just salt + pepper + grilled. Some places will sometimes use a dry rub on their grilled meats that is loaded with sugar.

And again, be careful. During the early stages of Ketosis, it's easy to underestimate how much fat you need to feel energetic.

Sometimes during the first couple of months I would forget that I hadn't eat much fat at all that day, and I felt very weak in the afternoon. Your body starts burning fat for energy, and if you don't give it fat, it's going to affect you.

Yes, you MUST get enough fat or you'll feel awful. 70+% of your calories if you can manage it. Cheese, butter, mayo, avocados, and the like can take meals like chicken solidly into that realm. Make sure you don't overdo it on the protein- if you don't have enough fat your body will use it as sugar and knock your ass out of keto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom