• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

I need to get back into eating better again. I've been kind of depressed and eating a lot of chocolate. I haven't gained too much weight (maybe a couple pounds), but I could stand to be 10-15lbs less than what I am.

I don't think I will go full keto, but it's time to dramatically reduce carbs (I usually have around 60-80 net carbs, want to get that down to under 50).

Good luck!

Lister

Banned
I'm currently doing keto with my wife. It is only the third day and I'm constantly hungry.

Make sure you're getting FAT, lots of FAT, at the beginning especially, your fat intake should be 70% of your caloric intake. A sI mentioned this changes drastically over time, to where you won't be feeling much hunger throughout most of the day. But at the beginning, it's hard, and it's easy to underestimate the fat content in your daily diet.

Make sure you are using a calorie counter - prefrable one that makes it easy to see the amount of fiber, fat and carbs you take in. And also realize that it's actually HARD to really go overboard with caloric intake on a keto diet. Carbs are packed with sugar, it's why it's so hard to cut calories on a standard diet that includes a lot of carbs.

ESBL

Yes, you MUST get enough fat or you'll feel awful. 70+% of your calories if you can manage it. Cheese, butter, mayo, avocados, and the like can take meals like chicken solidly into that realm. Make sure you don't overdo it on the protein- if you don't have enough fat your body will use it as sugar and knock your ass out of keto.

I've eaten pads of butter just to get my fat intake

No shame

I really don't see where the difference is in the initial effort. Just use MyFitnessPal or something like that, take your time and note what you should eat per day and then divide the meals (high calorie meals in the morning and low calorie meals in the evening). There is no "eat more" here. You have it black on white. That's what you should eat.

And sorry, but Keto is not a miracle diet. It's not like you can eat whatever you want as long as no carbs are in there. Eat 3 kg meat per day and you're going to gain weight, regardless if there are carbs in here or not.

Sure but that takes time and effort to sit out and count it.

Of course, you will gain weight if you eat 5 pounds of meat a day, but no one on Keto thinks they can eat as much as they want just because it has no carbs.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm currently doing keto with my wife. It is only the third day and I'm constantly hungry.

Factor out how much fat you're taking in. Your caloric makeup should be 55%+ fat the rest made up primarily by protein and the rest trace carbs. A good way to figure this out is to find out your protein needs, fulfill that, and fill the rest with fat.

Might be better to point out that once the keto plan becomes unsustainable (every diet does) that you need to transition to CICO, rather than taking a shit all over keto and telling people your anecdotes about how it doesn't work.

nasax

80 lbs later from last June (250 -> 170) and I'm currently at the weight I was in high school about 15 years ago, it's the best decision I've ever made. It was really an eye opener how carb heavy my diet was. Keep at it and the weight will come off like butter. The great thing about this is that you'll also use it as a guideline in your life and it'll teach you what's good and what's bad when it comes to your past diet and not going back to it since you saw firsthand how much your prior diet was harming you.

Log4Girlz

I went on it once long ago. Hard to stay on it when people want you to be a fat ass and get upset when you lose weight and stay constantly trying to knock you off your diet.

I need to get back on it!

Dali

Been trying this the last few days. Didn't realize how much I love sauces with sugar in them. Been using ranch, hot sauce and vinegarettes. That's gonna get old real quick.

Also hate all the stuff in gonna be throwing away. Hate wasting food.

Wvrs

I've done keto for short periods of time when I used to cut after a winter bulking session. It works wonders and it's not too hard, I just got insane cravings for carbs.

FyreWulff

this happens with any diet, you just have to push through because your body is accustomed to what you were eating/the rate at which you ate

the only thing about keto especially is it makes anything with carbs taste like nirvana after a while

Ripenen

I'm a type 1 diabetic. I don't eat keto but I do eat what most would consider low carb and I have done so for the past 7 years. It's definitely sustainable.

Might have more success if you ease into it instead of just going all in on day 1. For example stop drinking sugary drinks for a couple weeks. If you drink a lot of soda, energy drinks, or sweetened coffee every day, just cutting that alone will see you shedding weight.

After you've adjusted to that, stop eating chips for lunch and eat nuts or something instead. After that cut out something else and so on until before you know it you're much better off and you've found a way of eating that you can life with long term.

Another tip: it's way easier to eat well if you cook and prepare your own food. Doesn't have to be elaborate or time consuming, you just need to know what's going into your meals.

saelz8

I lost 113lbs in a year on Keto. (283-170)

The beginning is the most difficult phase as you will have cravings, but once you're in the thick of it, you will establish your consumption nitch and your cravings will start to subside. You will learn what foods and brands are fine, and which ones should be avoided. It will take a week or two, maybe a little more. Everyone is different. Do it long term though, for full benefits.

Also, watch your calories. This becomes more important as your weight drops as well. You can't eat as much at 170 as you did at 283 and still lose. Adjustment is required.

Another strategy, that may or may not work for you is to create social accountability. What I mean is that, and this was completely unintended, I became known at work and among my friends as the guy who will absolutely not eat any bread or candy. I'm the guy always checking labels. I'm the guy people go to when they want to know about Keto or eating relatively clean.

So, I can't juet stroll outside with a donut in my mouth. If I do that, I almost feel like I'm letting people down. It's crazy I know.

You can definitely do this, though. 100%. If you stick to it for a month, I PROMISE you will see results.

Not tips on keto, but just tips in regarding drastic dieting:

- Ease into it or you're going to make yourself feel depressed.
- Allow your self a single cheat item that is containable and not something you can eat 5 more times in the day/week. The reason I say this is the one day you decide to cheat you'll be so deprived you'll end up going ham on whatever it is
- Use it as a means to get into a good mental state about your fitness, then begin to adjust. Things like keto and paleo, to me, are first steps to a better lifestyle overall.

I like to add fat bombs, found a video by Jason Whitlock that has these little chocolate things that are awesome (I put a little sea salt on top before freezing!).
I'm 2 weeks in, feeling good and I think I've lost a little in the belly. I don't really weigh myself, I'm more concerned with how clothes fit as an indicator. Don't really care about weight, per se. Clothes definitely ARE starting to feel better.

Kuga

Good luck. The beginning is typically the most difficult part of a keto diet.

1.) I wouldn't worry about counting calories for the first week or two. Just make sure you stick to your Macros (<20g net carbs per day + meet your protein requirements) and eat enough fat to feel full.

Your body will eventually acclimate to burning fat as its primary fuel source (at which point most people experience a significantly reduced appetite) but there is no reason to feel like you're starving yourself in the meantime.

Calorie counting is important for weight-loss and you should begin setting goals after a couple weeks.

2.) Full keto adaptation can take months. Your electrolyte levels can be an issue on keto but especially during the beginning

Make sure that you are consuming plenty of sodium (salt), potassium and magnesium. The latter two can be especially difficult to obtain sufficient quantities of with keto's carb restrictions and many people resort to supplements to pick up the slack (no-salt for potassium, pills for magnesium). Though its obviously preferable to get those from Avocados and veggies if possible. Also, make sure you get enough calcium on keto.

A lack of electrolytes cause most of the "keto flu" symptoms and muscle cramping / lightheadedness / etc.

3.) There are a ton of online resources to help you out. The Keto calculator can give you good macros, there are plenty of keto / food guides, and even plenty of keto-friendly recipe sites for when you get bored of eating the same foods over and over.

I found chic fil a nuggets a surprisingly low carb option. Like 14 g for 12. Melt some cheese or use some hot sauce and you have a nice little meal or part of a meal going if you have that craving and want to "cheat" a bit

Just remember whatever diet you're following you still need to watch over your calories. Without a calorie deficit you wouldn't lose weigh.

Kuga

- Allow your self a single cheat item that is containable and not something you can eat 5 more times in the day/week. The reason I say this is the one day you decide to cheat you'll be so deprived you'll end up going ham on whatever it is.

I disagree with this point specifically. Keto adheres to CICO philosophy like any other diet but the body's production of extra ketones helps suppress hunger.

Lesser appetite is one of the major selling points for the Keto diet over other LCHF and low-fat diets. If you are constantly exiting Ketosis due to a cheat item, you will probably end up craving carbs / food even more.

That isn't to say the occasional cheat meal is an unforgivable sin or anything - they just need to be way more limited than five times a week.

nasax

What worked out for me when I was getting "junk food" cravings was eating pork rinds/cracklings with whatever diet soda I wanted. Of course I wasn't eating a whole bag of it as a meal but eating a handful with a diet soda felt like cheating even though it totally wasn't as they both fit in the keto guidelines.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And sorry, but Keto is not a miracle diet. It's not like you can eat whatever you want as long as no carbs are in there. Eat 3 kg meat per day and you're going to gain weight, regardless if there are carbs in here or not.

This is a ridiculous premise, because just about no one could consume that much meat in a single day. That's damn near 7 pounds. Who the hell eats 7 pounds of anything?

Meat is far more satiating than most of the garbage people eat these days. Unless you are physiologically broken, your satiety mechanism will kick in well before you can eat too much.

Anyway, it is a miracle for a whole lot of people who have struggled with their weight and health in general for years trying various methods that never seem to work.

Also, just a note, it's my third day and I feel full of energy not, not tired at all. I did have a very heave a very heavy breakfast so that might be it but I don't feel as shitty as I did the last two weeks. It's impossible to have begun the keto process this quick right?

No, it's not impossible. It just depends on the person. I never encountered any fatigue or headaches or whatever else that some people report when transitioning to a high fat and low/no carb diet. It was pretty much instant success for me.

Chris R

Keto makes it easier for me to lose weight, since I'm not hungry while eating at a caloric deficit and since it seems to boost my metabolism.

No miracle, just easier.

McLovin

You could be right. I generally have the problem that I am never truly full regardless of what and how much I eat (suspect I fucked up my digestion over the years with all the diets), so keto is really nothing for me at all cause you up the calories extremely fast with high fat meals. So the only thing I took out of it is that I felt horrible.

@OP: Well, if you're going to do it, prepare your anus. Going into Ketosis will be the worst day or two of your life.
Yeah when your body is making the transition to ketones it does feel bad. In the first few weeks of eating high fat/protein your body kind of ignores the ketones. Its looking for carbs and in a way it actually is starving. The initial weight loss is just water, but it really starts working when your body gives up on waiting for carbs. That horrible feeling, keto flu, etc., all that stuff goes away when it switches to ketones. Its a hard hump to get over for most but when it happens you feel it right away. Way more energy, more clarity of thought, and hunger pretty much takes a back seat. Plus its nice not having carb cravings any more. Like you could put a cake in front of me and I'll legitimately not want any. Same goes for bread and ice cream(my old weakness). I did it for a whole year with no problems, it really got easy when my body completely stopped craving carbs. Even when I went off the diet if I ate too much sugar or carby things I would feel sick. I'm back on it and I have about 40lbs to go before I switch to maintaining.

Also theres another diet called Paleo which is basically the same thing except you can eat fruit and sweet potatoes, but no dairy or peanuts(they aren't technically nuts) also no maros or calorie counting. Its a way easier diet to handle. I did that and then transitioned to Keto the first time around. I'll probably go back to that when I switch to maintaining my weight and as a permanent lifestyle.
Keto makes it easier for me to lose weight, since I'm not hungry while eating at a caloric deficit and since it seems to boost my metabolism.

No miracle, just easier.
This is the case for me too. One thing I noticed is that I'm not really that hungry ever. If I do get hungry I dont feel urgency to eat, I can actually wait until I get what I need. Before I would get this desperation to eat. I'd get all anxious and would only get relief once I stuffed my face. And then when I hit a carb crash a few hours later it would start back up again, it was never ending and horrible for me. Now I just eat when I'm hungry, if I'm not paying attention I end up skipping a meal. This mainly happens when I workout and need extra calories. Its actually really hard for me to eat all the calories I require.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What about carb refeeds, y'all? I'm thinking one day every 2 or 3 weeks.

There are theories out there that this can help "kickstart" fat loss again if you're stalling. There also seem to be benefits if you're trying to build muscle, but I don't think there has been much research on the topic.

Give it a try for a while and see how your body reacts. I did the "carb backloading" plan as laid out by John Kiefer, and while it did seem to help me put on a decent amount of muscle, I still ended up gaining around 12 pounds over the year and some of that was definitely fat. Then again, I wasn't lifting terribly heavy weights and perhaps my workout frequency and intensity just were not there.

These days I avoid carbs as much as possible as a default, but I don't shy away from them on occasion. Usually when with friends on a weekend. I find this works a lot better for my current lifestyle.

Might be better to point out that once the keto plan becomes unsustainable (every diet does) that you need to transition to CICO, rather than taking a shit all over keto and telling people your anecdotes about how it doesn't work.

At which point does it become unsustainable, pray tell? I've been doing it for around six years now. Many have been on it much longer.

McLovin

I actually went a whole year without doing any and I hit the gym 4-5 times a week. They say if you eat fish you technically don't need refeeds(I'm not sure how it works, but yeah I don't do refeeds unless its like my birthday or something) Its ok if you need them though. It all depends on your goals. I wouldn't do it until a whole month has gone by and you're body is adjusted. After that once a month or every other week is fine. If you don't want to risk keto flu then just incorporate fish into your diet and don't bother with refeeds.

I actually went a whole year without doing any and I hit the gym 4-5 times a week. They say if you eat fish you technically don't need refeeds(I'm not sure how it works, but yeah I don't do refeeds unless its like my birthday or something) Its ok if you need them though. It all depends on your goals. I wouldn't do it until a whole month has gone by and you're body is adjusted. After that once a month or every other week is fine. If you don't want to risk keto flu then just incorporate fish into your diet and don't bother with refeeds.

But I love to occasionally get them carbs! It's more for sustainability and personal enjoyment than any weight loss function.

There are theories out there that this can help "kickstart" fat loss again if you're stalling. There also seem to be benefits if you're trying to build muscle, but I don't think there has been much research on the topic.

Give it a try for a while and see how your body reacts. I did the "carb backloading" plan as laid out by John Kiefer, and while it did seem to help me put on a decent amount of muscle, I still ended up gaining around 12 pounds over the year and some of that was definitely fat. Then again, I wasn't lifting terribly heavy weights and perhaps my workout frequency and intensity just were not there.

These days I avoid carbs as much as possible as a default, but I don't shy away from them on occasion. Usually when with friends on a weekend. I find this works a lot better for my current lifestyle.

At which point does it become unsustainable, pray tell? I've been doing it for around six years now. Many have been on it much longer.

Wish I could look like Kiefer. Dude is a beast.
I'll probably just do a day every 3 weeks. Seems reasonable. I plan to go back to Paleo after hitting my goals. 80/20 on Paleo is probably a decent balance for maintenance.

I did Keto last summer with amazing results. I got down like 30 or 40 lbs.

I did relapse back into eating like shit.

I'm back on it starting this week too tho!

Best advice I can give is control your temptations and don't give in to carbs.

When the person gets tired of the 'same old' meal plan/recipes, then shifts back into old, shitty eating habits. This is a very, very common experience.

Cronen

My girlfriend and I have been talking over the last day of so about trying keto, so seeing this topic is quite the coincidence. We plan on getting a list of meals ready this weekend to start next week!

When the person gets tired of the 'same old' meal plan/recipes, then shifts back into old, shitty eating habits. This is a very, very common experience.

There is a wealth of variety on keto, if you try. And I think that having a cheat meal and increasing your allowed amount of carbs per day for maintenance is totally fine. Like, 100 or 150g of carbs.

gaiages

Banned
There is a wealth of variety on keto, if you try. And I think that having a cheat meal and increasing your allowed amount of carbs per day for maintenance is totally fine. Like, 100 or 150g of carbs.

I think 100g of carbs a day would push you out of ketosis though... then again, if you're just maintaining that may not be the biggest deal. I'll admit I haven't done much research on that part yet (maintenance is really far off for me lol) Unless you just meant that amount for the cheat day.

I planned for when I hit maintenance I would probably aim for 50g-60g carbs, as it would allow me some things (bananas! corn! a cupcake!) but not go overboard. Then again, I'm doing it for more medical reasons so I'm probably more worried about insulin resistance and stuff than other people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think "unsustainable" is the correct word to use when categorizing such behavior.

It's certainly not inevitable.

blackflag

If you are lifting heavy and a lot in the gym then yes but no more than that.

If you aren't lifting it will take you a really long time to get back into Keto after a refeed.

I lost over 100 lbs 5 years or so ago from doing keto, lifting, and carbloading for 36 hours every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how my body felt.

TIP the number 1 thing people do wrong on Keto is not eat enough fat. They get scared of it. I would get 150g and sometimes more fat per day. Drank Heavy cream in my shakes instead of milk too.

blackflag

I think 100g of carbs a day would push you out of ketosis though... then again, if you're just maintaining that may not be the biggest deal. I'll admit I haven't done much research on that part yet (maintenance is really far off for me lol) Unless you just meant that amount for the cheat day.

I planned for when I hit maintenance I would probably aim for 50g-60g carbs, as it would allow me some things (bananas! corn! a cupcake!) but not go overboard. Then again, I'm doing it for more medical reasons so I'm probably more worried about insulin resistance and stuff than other people.

you are right, 100-150 grams a day is not keto...it's just low carb.

So after months of interest and reading and genuinely scared of it (lots of fat? What the f?) I jumped in this past Monday to get rid of most carbs and go keto. Just so you have an idea of my current health and fitness Here's an overview :

275 pounds.
6'2
Pre Diabetes
Hypothyroidism
High blood pressure
Lazy Vesicle

So as you see, I am quite screwed. It's just been thanks to a series of life decisions : constant drinking, bad food, overall high levels of stress always, etc. What kicked me in into this? Sugar. My fasting glucose was about 100 for the past several months but lately I am getting readings over 115. This has scared the hell out of me. I do not want to live with diabetes.... NO. So I decided to jump into doing the ketogenic diet this past Monday. On Sunday I went shopping and following several guides here in Reddit I bought some foods I wasn't buying due to being "bad"... Bacon, sausage, more red meats, avocado oil, coconut oil and like 3 dozen eggs. I cut my carbs cold... I am trying to track them but I am pretty sure I've been under 30 these past days. My only carbs are from coffee with milk and the veggies and some almonds.

Truth be told, I am scared. I spoke with my doctor about it and it was a straight "No, you are gonna die" type of thing but I shrugged it off and jumped in. I have been taught since little that fat is bad. I am going to give this a long chance. Hopefully I'll post updates and I'll get some people to join over to this ho journey. My support system is weak, since most of my friends keep saying "WTF are you doing?" and even my girlfriend is a bit wary although giving me a chance.

I am on the third day, no keto flu yet. I do have a slight headache but that's about it. I've been drinking tons of water (I usually do, I like water) and I upped sodium intake today. I am walking 3 miles every two days since February and so far I haven't had to change that due to the diet. This weekend will be challenging as people are coming over and the peer pressure to drink and eat will be there. I read that Michelob Ultras are a good substitute since they are low carb so I may drink a few just to avoid the pressure. If some of you have tips for this I'd appreciate it.

I will weight myself this week but this Monday I weighted 275. I expect to post updates every few days. I don't have a weight goal honestly just feel better and be slightly healthier. That's all I want. /rant over

Why are you upping your sodium intake? Are you upping your potassium intake as well?

use a tape measure. we want you to lose fat not weight on its own.

tell me about your week. what you do each day and how it ends. Losing fat is not just about food. its about the life network you put yourself in that makes you eat the way you do.

Your never mentioned any vegetables in your post. where are you getting your micronutrients from? dont say just multivitamins. its not optimal to say the least.

Speaking of micronutrients can you tell me about your bloodwork and if you have any micronutrient deficiencies.

I eat a fairly low carb diet. I am in ketosis most of the day but I eat a lot vegetables. I do however burn of most of my glycogen with the exercise i do. I only eat twice a day and once every few months I will skip a day or two of eating if I am too busy with work.

Can you tell us what you think you know about ketosis? 50 grams of carbs per day is not a magical number. If you can walk an hour a day that's about 200 calories for your size and thats 50 grams of carbs so how about we put you on a walking plan.

Also do you have a blender? I mean a good one. Not asking about a fucking juicer, a blender like vitamix. Can you cook? You should cook blending is cooking, making a salad is cooking.

here are some foods and their carb content. don't be afraid to eat these.

Fruit/Vege Carb/100g

Beets 10

Kale 12

Carrot 5

Celery 3

Lettuce 3

Avocado 9

Blueberries 10

Strawberries 8

Arugula 4

Cabbage 6

Tomato 4

Banana 12 (50g serve)

cucumber 4

Broccolli 7

Cauliflower 5

total 1.5kg or 3.3 pounds 102g total carbs thats equivalent to about 32 ounces of coke

Milks

1 cup almond milk 4g carbs

grains

1/2 cup cooked quinoa 12g carbs

Nuts and seed mix (make your own ratio of 1:1 weight)
Flax,sunflower,pumpkin,chia,sesame,almond,pecan,walnut,cashew,poppy 10g carb per 50g serve average use in salad about 20g and smoothie about 30g

you can eat a combination of this this raw in salads or blend them into smoothies or you can cook them

lets say that you need to eat about 2500 calories for your weight because you said you were about 275 as the minimum amount of energy you need depending on height and age of course and activity, but lets say you are sedentary, so we will cut your calories by about 400 a day and exercise about 300 calories to get a 700 calorie deficit. Now it is up to you how much calories you want to eat less per day, which is about 60-80g of fat stores lost per day as you need to get that energy from your body. so about 1.8kg - 2.4kg or 4-5.3 pounds per month of actual fat lost.

We also want you to eat say 144g of protein since you will need to do some exercise but you aren't a pure athlete yet so we wont go over this. thats 576 calories.

you can supplement protein I would say a 50g serve of spi wpi is about 48g protein
2 eggs 12g (you can even mix this into your smoothies)
125g beef mince 30g
50g seeds and nuts 28g (average)
1kg of fruit and veges (average about 2% protein content) 20g
that takes you to about 138 so thats close enough its going to be in the range anyway and yes its not much meat all. surprising but 1 serve of protein powder does that

heck a medium can of sirena tuna has about 36g of protein and 15g of fat if you dont drain it. you can go a whole day without even using the microwave or stove if you eat this way.

the rest wil come from fat around 106 grams. maybe lets say

125ml 1/2 cup almond milk 2g fat
125ml 1/2 cup coconut milk 3g fat
10 ml of olive for your salad 10g fat
10 ml canola to grill your meat 10g fat
half an avocado 100g so about 15 grams of fat there
2 eggs a day thats about 12 grams per day.
50g grams of nuts and seeds mix about 30g of fat
125g 1/4 pound mince beef 20g fat
thats 102g of fat so close enough

Lets also give you a moderate target of carbs at lets say 120, so thats about 480 calories.
but you will mostly be using these carbs in fruits and vegetables prob in a ratio of 4 servings fruit and 6 servings of vegetables so around 2.2 pounds of fruits and veges lets say per day. that should be around 80g of carbs. so you have another 40g to come from your proteins and nuts and seeds. definitely there will be 30 at least coming from the example above.

The 300 calories of exercise will require you to walk about 30 minutes every other day at 6km/h or 3.7m/h this will burn you about 300 calories. 30 minutes weights which includes warmup of 5 minutes jumping jacks 15x45 second sets of something with about a minutes rest between sets. this should burn you another 200 calories. you can choose not to do your walk on these days

It is important you do not lose your muscle mass as it is possible you will lose 30% of you muscle mass when losing weight without exercise if your diet is poor. we dont want that since your body is already around 165 of pounds of lean muscle. It would be great if you can in the first year gain another 16 pounds of muscle, for your height its doable. After 1 year you should be around 230 pounds with 60 pounds of fat lost and about 16 pounds of muscle gained and around 20% body fat.

In the second year will want to to a more advanced resistance training program that includes pushups and pullups and weights and you will need to increase your carbohydrate intake by maybe 30 grams a day so you can have a bit of glycogen for sprint work. In this second year we want you to stay about 230 pounds but we want you to lose about 16 pounds of fat and gain about 16 pounds of muscle which will be twice as hard to gain compared to your first year. at the end of this year you will be at around 10% body fat and at 230 pounds you can wield thors hammer.

You can still get in ketosis for about 12 hours of the day with a moderate cut on carbohydrate if you exercise 30 minutes a day. a macro ratio of about 25% carb 40% protein and 35% fat is good enough and very tasty and lots of micronutrients if you eat like above.

Look people say dont weight your food, but its possible you just dont know what these amounts look like until you weigh it infront of you. after a couple of months you get used to it and you dont need to weigh your food. I mean for example 40 almonds is about 50 grams. which is like a half a handful for you.

calories in = calories out with a giant caveat. the calories out should come from your fat stores. in this case about 700 per day. the calories in, is your macro ratio and 2100 per day you need 2500 just to make sure you are getting to the right amount of protein and not overeating it causing gluconeogenesis as protein can be turned into glycogen as well. Remember a caloric surplus regardless of the macros will cause weight gain whether it is fat gain or muscle or both is up to what you do in your activities. you want a protein caloric surplus to build muscle and which will come from the protein you eat and the body fat you have or your food to carry the proteins into your cells for synthesis. YOu want a caloric deficit to lose fat by cutting your carb and your body fat making up for the rest during ketosis.

Your carbs will be turned into glycogen by your liver and can hold 120g pretty easily. During your 24 hour day even if you don't do much you can probably lose about 50 grams glycogen so if you lose 300 calories through exercise then 120 will keep you in ketosis while you sleep and until you have your fist meal. for me I dont eat past 9-10 and my first meal is around 1-2pm but you do what you feel is best for you. You want some muscle glycogen enough for your walks and workouts 70 is enough. these are quick and dirty numbers but by the time you sleep your body should be deplete of muscle and liver glycogen or have only 50g and you will be in ketosis.

Maybe the reason overfat people are not in ketosis when they sleep usually, is because their liver glycogen and muscle glycogen is full (already from yesterdays food and when they are in a caloric surplus on a high carb die that day, they just aren't doing enough work to burn the glycogen to be able to begin to rely on ketones, so it will turn into fat when they sleep because you need to turn most of your food for that day into glycogen, again in a high carb diet. It becomes a vicious cycle for some the less muscle you have the less glycogen you can burn through the slower window to get into ketosis and so on and so on until obesity hits. Obviously there are biochemical pathways to consider and it is more complex than I my oversimplification and i haven't touched on hormones but think of it in this way to start with.

You don't need to be in ketosis 24 hours a day. 16 is plenty. Yes by all means go on hardcore keto for a week or so to deplete your muscle and liver glycogen then when you know it is depleted go and up it to 120 and I can bet you you will be losing weight and gaining muscle and enjoying learning to respect food.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've down quite a few diets and all I can say is calorie in vs. calories out Trump's anything else. Manage that and you'll be fine.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Why are you upping your sodium intake? Are you upping your potassium intake as well?

use a tape measure. we want you to lose fat not weight on its own.

tell me about your week. what you do each day and how it ends. Losing fat is not just about food. its about the life network you put yourself in that makes you eat the way you do.

Your never mentioned any vegetables in your post. where are you getting your micronutrients from? dont say just multivitamins. its not optimal to say the least.

Speaking of micronutrients can you tell me about your bloodwork and if you have any micronutrient deficiencies.

I eat a fairly low carb diet. I am in ketosis most of the day but I eat a lot vegetables. I do however burn of most of my glycogen with the exercise i do. I only eat twice a day and once every few months I will skip a day or two of eating if I am too busy with work.

Can you tell us what you think you know about ketosis? 50 grams of carbs per day is not a magical number. If you can walk an hour a day that's about 200 calories for your size and thats 50 grams of carbs so how about we put you on a walking plan.

Also do you have a blender? I mean a good one. Not asking about a fucking juicer, a blender like vitamix. Can you cook? You should cook blending is cooking, making a salad is cooking.

here are some foods and their carb content. don't be afraid to eat these.

Fruit/Vege Carb/100g

Beets 10

Kale 12

Carrot 5

Celery 3

Lettuce 3

Avocado 9

Blueberries 10

Strawberries 8

Arugula 4

Cabbage 6

Tomato 4

Banana 12 (50g serve)

cucumber 4

Broccolli 7

Cauliflower 5

total 1.5kg or 3.3 pounds 102g total carbs thats equivalent to about 32 ounces of coke

Milks

1 cup almond milk 4g carbs

grains

1/2 cup cooked quinoa 12g carbs

Nuts and seed mix (make your own ratio of 1:1 weight)
Flax,sunflower,pumpkin,chia,sesame,almond,pecan,walnut,cashew,poppy 10g carb per 50g serve average use in salad about 20g and smoothie about 30g

you can eat a combination of this this raw in salads or blend them into smoothies or you can cook them

lets say that you need to eat about 2500 calories for your weight because you said you were about 275 as the minimum amount of energy you need depending on height and age of course and activity, but lets say you are sedentary, so we will cut your calories by about 400 a day and exercise about 300 calories to get a 700 calorie deficit. Now it is up to you how much calories you want to eat less per day, which is about 60-80g of fat stores lost per day as you need to get that energy from your body. so about 1.8kg - 2.4kg or 4-5.3 pounds per month of actual fat lost.

We also want you to eat say 144g of protein since you will need to do some exercise but you aren't a pure athlete yet so we wont go over this. thats 576 calories.

you can supplement protein I would say a 50g serve of spi wpi is about 48g protein
2 eggs 12g (you can even mix this into your smoothies)
125g beef mince 30g
50g seeds and nuts 28g (average)
1kg of fruit and veges (average about 2% protein content) 20g
that takes you to about 138 so thats close enough its going to be in the range anyway and yes its not much meat all. surprising but 1 serve of protein powder does that

heck a medium can of sirena tuna has about 36g of protein and 15g of fat if you dont drain it. you can go a whole day without even using the microwave or stove if you eat this way.

the rest wil come from fat around 106 grams. maybe lets say

125ml 1/2 cup almond milk 2g fat
125ml 1/2 cup coconut milk 3g fat
10 ml of olive for your salad 10g fat
10 ml canola to grill your meat 10g fat
half an avocado 100g so about 15 grams of fat there
2 eggs a day thats about 12 grams per day.
50g grams of nuts and seeds mix about 30g of fat
125g 1/4 pound mince beef 20g fat
thats 102g of fat so close enough

Lets also give you a moderate target of carbs at lets say 120, so thats about 480 calories.
but you will mostly be using these carbs in fruits and vegetables prob in a ratio of 4 servings fruit and 6 servings of vegetables so around 2.2 pounds of fruits and veges lets say per day. that should be around 80g of carbs. so you have another 40g to come from your proteins and nuts and seeds. definitely there will be 30 at least coming from the example above.

The 300 calories of exercise will require you to walk about 30 minutes every other day at 6km/h or 3.7m/h this will burn you about 300 calories. 30 minutes weights which includes warmup of 5 minutes jumping jacks 15x45 second sets of something with about a minutes rest between sets. this should burn you another 200 calories. you can choose not to do your walk on these days

It is important you do not lose your muscle mass as it is possible you will lose 30% of you muscle mass when losing weight without exercise if your diet is poor. we dont want that since your body is already around 165 of pounds of lean muscle. It would be great if you can in the first year gain another 16 pounds of muscle, for your height its doable. After 1 year you should be around 230 pounds with 60 pounds of fat lost and about 16 pounds of muscle gained and around 20% body fat.

In the second year will want to to a more advanced resistance training program that includes pushups and pullups and weights and you will need to increase your carbohydrate intake by maybe 30 grams a day so you can have a bit of glycogen for sprint work. In this second year we want you to stay about 230 pounds but we want you to lose about 16 pounds of fat and gain about 16 pounds of muscle which will be twice as hard to gain compared to your first year. at the end of this year you will be at around 10% body fat and at 230 pounds you can wield thors hammer.

You can still get in ketosis for about 12 hours of the day with a moderate cut on carbohydrate if you exercise 30 minutes a day. a macro ratio of about 25% carb 40% protein and 35% fat is good enough and very tasty and lots of micronutrients if you eat like above.

Look people say dont weight your food, but its possible you just dont know what these amounts look like until you weigh it infront of you. after a couple of months you get used to it and you dont need to weigh your food. I mean for example 40 almonds is about 50 grams. which is like a half a handful for you.

calories in = calories out with a giant caveat. the calories out should come from your fat stores. in this case about 700 per day. the calories in, is your macro ratio and 2100 per day you need 2500 just to make sure you are getting to the right amount of protein and not overeating it causing gluconeogenesis as protein can be turned into glycogen as well. Remember a caloric surplus regardless of the macros will cause weight gain whether it is fat gain or muscle or both is up to what you do in your activities. you want a protein caloric surplus to build muscle and which will come from the protein you eat and the body fat you have or your food to carry the proteins into your cells for synthesis. YOu want a caloric deficit to lose fat by cutting your carb and your body fat making up for the rest during ketosis.

Your carbs will be turned into glycogen by your liver and can hold 120g pretty easily. During your 24 hour day even if you don't do much you can probably lose about 50 grams glycogen so if you lose 300 calories through exercise then 120 will keep you in ketosis while you sleep and until you have your fist meal. for me I dont eat past 9-10 and my first meal is around 1-2pm but you do what you feel is best for you. You want some muscle glycogen enough for your walks and workouts 70 is enough. these are quick and dirty numbers but by the time you sleep your body should be deplete of muscle and liver glycogen or have only 50g and you will be in ketosis.

Maybe the reason overfat people are not in ketosis when they sleep usually, is because their liver glycogen and muscle glycogen is full (already from yesterdays food and when they are in a caloric surplus on a high carb die that day, they just aren't doing enough work to burn the glycogen to be able to begin to rely on ketones, so it will turn into fat when they sleep because you need to turn most of your food for that day into glycogen, again in a high carb diet. It becomes a vicious cycle for some the less muscle you have the less glycogen you can burn through the slower window to get into ketosis and so on and so on until obesity hits. Obviously there are biochemical pathways to consider and it is more complex than I my oversimplification and i haven't touched on hormones but think of it in this way to start with.

You don't need to be in ketosis 24 hours a day. 16 is plenty. Yes by all means go on hardcore keto for a week or so to deplete your muscle and liver glycogen then when you know it is depleted go and up it to 120 and I can bet you you will be losing weight and gaining muscle and enjoying learning to respect food.
Great read! Thanks a lot.

I am eating lots of broccoli and mixed veggies, lettuce, tomatoes and spinach. I am also starting to take a multivitamin. I also bought a Ninja blender and have been looking to give it some use so your recommendations are awesome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd recommend you skip the walking. Cardio can be brutal on keto.

Weight lifting has been good for me.

Whaaat?

Lifting is great, but how can sustained low-intensity cardio (if you can even call it that) like walking be brutal on a high-fat/low-carb diet? Endurance exercise is where it excels, honestly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can you have a cheat day once a week on this diet, or does that defeat the purpose of going on this diet in the first place?

It will not defeat the purpose. Many people recommend the approach because it encourages people to stick with it who otherwise might not.

It may slow your progress somewhat, but if you're vigilant at least 80% or so of the time, you'll see benefits for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom