• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Since starting this journey I have learned how to prepare tons of recipes and taste new stuff. I learned to love taco salads (chicken or meat, with guacamole, sour cream and homemade salsa!). Hell there's an eggplant lasagna in my oven right now. Just came back from my doctor, he was impressed by the results and encouraged me to keep going forward with the diet.

All in all, my weight is 260 pounds now. Last I went to the doctor in February my weight as 279 pounds and a blood pressure of 140/75 and a pulse of 95. It was 110/70 today with a resting pulse of 70 =).

This shit works fellas!

Since starting this journey I have learned how to prepare tons of recipes and taste new stuff. I learned to love taco salads (chicken or meat, with guacamole, sour cream and homemade salsa!). Hell there's an eggplant lasagna in my oven right now. Just came back from my doctor, he was impressed by the results and encouraged me to keep going forward with the diet.

All in all, my weight is 260 pounds now. Last I went to the doctor in February my weight as 279 pounds and a blood pressure of 140/75 and a pulse of 95. It was 110/70 today with a resting pulse of 70 =).

This shit works fellas!

Recipe me please :)

Also, check out 2KetoDudes podcast if you havent. Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

combine42

Neo Member
Don't weigh yourself everyday, or even every week for that matter. Focus on your diet and sticking to it and trust that the excess weight will come off. (because it will)

combine42

Neo Member

This shit works fellas!

ahhhh nice good work!

Malvolio

This shit works fellas!

Well done! Results like that make this diet so easy to adapt to. Resting heart rate is one of the best indicators of overall health, keep plugging away and that number will continue to drop. Had my nurse checking her instrument for malfunctions the last time she took mine. What a nice change from the sermon I used to receive when I was obese.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Recipe me please :)

Also, check out 2KetoDudes podcast if you havent. Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thanks for the congratulations guys :). Next target is dropping under 250.

The eggplant recipe... Well I made a normal lasagna :p. Used homemade sauce, and sliced the egg plant in vertical slices. I semi cooked those with olive oil and used as a base for the lasagna, then added the meat and sauce, cheese, another eggplant layer, more sauce and meat, cheese, another layer and topped it off. Worked great for me!

HariKari

Reddit has a half dozen Keto subreddits, including one dedicated to recipes

The eggplant recipe... Well I made a normal lasagna :p. Used homemade sauce, and sliced the egg plant in vertical slices. I semi cooked those with olive oil and used as a base for the lasagna, then added the meat and sauce, cheese, another eggplant layer, more sauce and meat, cheese, another layer and topped it off. Worked great for me!

Just be aware of any sugar content in sauces and condiments, it can really add up.

HariKari

Shrugs, ok, but how does that invalidate the link I posted?
Plus you get a breakdown of how many calories/carbs/fats/fiber are in each meal/serving

It doesn't, just adding to the thread. I've made quite a few of the ruled.me recipes. The low carb pizza is great.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is how I make my keto mini pizzas. Bake the cheese on parchment paper until it browns. Top with pizza sauce, salami, and italian herbs. Bake until everything browns some more.

C2oRq6n.jpg

HariKari

This is how I make my keto mini pizzas. Bake the cheese on parchment paper until it browns. Top with pizza sauce, salami, and italian herbs. Bake until everything browns some more.

You can also toss a low carb/nearly all fiber tortilla in a skillet and then put sauce + cheese + toppings on it on the stovetop for a bit to grill the bottom, then under the broiler to melt/brown the toppings. Really good in a pinch if you are craving pizza or red sauce.

The best low carb crust I've made is the almond flour + psyllium husk (fiber) + mozzarella kind. If you get the thickness and texture right, it tastes like normal pizza.

Lister

Banned
You can also toss a low carb/nearly all fiber tortilla in a skillet and then put sauce + cheese + toppings on it on the stovetop for a bit to grill the bottom, then under the broiler to melt/brown the toppings. Really good in a pinch if you are craving pizza or red sauce.

The best low carb crust I've made is the almond flour + psyllium husk (fiber) + mozzarella kind. If you get the thickness and texture right, it tastes like normal pizza.

Got a recipe? Sounds good.

I'd love to do this. But I'm also trying to get into really good running shape. I feel like I need an easy source of carbs to accomplish that.

dawgparty

Stick it out! I always had a HUGE sweet tooth and just generally crammed my face all the time. After about a month of total keto(and avoiding most sugar substitutes too) candy bars and other processed shit started to gross me out.

Also you Will have tons of people talking about how hard that must be, giving you shit for it, etc. Embrace it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Also you Will have tons of people talking about how hard that must be, giving you shit for it, etc. Embrace it.

My suggestion is to never bring it up to people. It's more of a headache explaining to people and the looks they give when you say that fat is actually good for you. I've been on keto for about 3 weeks and was having issues reaching the 75% macro goals(would usually end at 65-70%) for the day. It turned out that I just needed to add more cheese/ranch.

Here's a general idea on what my one meal a day is like. Intermittent fasting with keto is amazing, no hunger/sugar cravings for me

HariKari

Got a recipe? Sounds good.

https://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

Almond Flour is used in a lot of keto recipes, although it's more expensive. You can also use ground up pork rinds for breading substitute on things like chicken.

It has gotten significantly easier in recent years. Most burger places offer a lettuce wrap option, as an example. But yeah, don't ever mention you are avoiding carbs altogether. People will argue with you that they're essential.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

This shit works fellas!

Congratulations on your success. How has your sleep been? Iirc you had some energy issues interfering with your sleeping schedule.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

C2oRq6n.jpg

My girl has made a miracle out of multiple meat courses, cauliflower, mad veggies and we even did the cheese baked flat into crackers once already and enjoyed it for sure but this?

This my friend?

this if fucking genius. I'm doing this shit tonight. Mah god....

doby

I always get agitated reading threads like these. What happened to a clean living, balanced diet? We did not evolve to exist on a diet that cuts out major food groups.

If it's to treat debilitating disorders then that's fair enough, but to just improve health and loose pounds then focus on potion controlling a balanced diet and exercise. It's a lifestyle change, do people on the keto diet really expect to do it for the rest of their lives? Any crash diet is essentially avoiding addressing the real issues with your eating habits.

I always get agitated reading threads like these. What happened to a clean living, balanced diet? We did not evolve to exist on a diet that cuts out major food groups.

If it's to treat debilitating disorders then that's fair enough, but to just improve health and loose pounds then focus on potion controlling a balanced diet and exercise. It's a lifestyle change, do people on the keto diet really expect to do it for the rest of their lives? Any crash diet is essentially avoiding addressing the real issues with your eating habits.
Keto is a perfectly sustainable diet for however long someone wants to follow it. It's not a crash diet, it's a lifestyle change.

There's no science behind needing a "balanced diet" to be healthy. Do some research and get off your high horse.

Keto affects everyone differently. I literally did not get Keto sickness at all when I did it. Keto also kept me far more sated than any other diet I tried. Of course the hardest part of doing keto is keeping carbs low as others have stated they're practically in everything. Just be sure to drink lots of water and keep your electrolytes up.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Honestly fudging with macronutrient ratios is just a person trying to consciously create a way of eating that better accommodates their goals or lifestyle.

Now if trying to stay Keto is causing constant mental anguish in an effort to achieve a perfect body, I would agree. But, specifically the OP, is having a good go at the diet and its working for him. Why discourage that because his macro makeup isnt "balanced"?

doby

Keto is a perfectly sustainable diet for however long someone wants to follow it. It's not a crash diet, it's a lifestyle change.

There's no science behind needing a "balanced diet" to be healthy. Do some research and get off your high horse.

A balanced diet is far less maintenence, you get everything your body needs without resorting to pills.

Ok, I'll get off my high horse and you can chop it up and cook it for dinner :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A balanced diet is far less maintenence, you get everything your body needs without resorting to pills.

Ok, I'll get off my high horse and you can chop it up and cook it for dinner :p

im curious as to your idea of how people doing keto diets eat? And what is your definition of balanced?

doby

Honestly fudging with macronutrient ratios is just a person trying to consciously create a way of eating that better accommodates their goals or lifestyle.

Now if trying to stay Keto is causing constant mental anguish in an effort to achieve a perfect body, I would agree. But, specifically the OP, is having a good go at the diet and its working for him. Why discourage that because his macro makeup isnt "balanced"?

It's just my opinion, I doubt what I say would have any effect on the OP considering the whole thread is very pro keto.

doby

im curious as to your idea of how people doing keto diets eat? And what is your definition of balanced?

A balanced diet to me is eating a little bit of everything to get all the nutrients needed for daily function. Not over indulging but consciously knowing when you've had enough of something. Overeating is part habit, part eating the wrong types of food, excessive sugar combined with High GI carbs.

Keto to me just seems like giving a green light for people to over indulge in foods we naturally crave (fatty foods) so it seems easier or more achievable, whilst exploiting the way our bodies react to low carbon intake. Instead of addressing the real issues why they got in such bad shape in the first place.

Being healthier is obviously always encouraged, but I don't see keto as a lifestyle change any more than any other fad diets doing the rounds. Imo it's not sustainable because it's high maintenence, mainly because of external pressures of day to day life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Keto is great, but it's so hard to sustain unless you eat all your meals at home - at least in a North American context.

IMACOMPUTA

Keto is great, but it's so hard to sustain unless you eat all your meals at home - at least in a North American context.
I highly disagree. It's extremely easy to sustain. Salads, burgers no bun, chicken wings.

You can find one of these anywhere.

I've been on a keto diet for a year and lost almost 100 lbs.

I also took a blood test for a wellness program they encourage at work. Compared to my test from 2 years ago I've made a complete 180 and all of my levels are within normal range in terms of cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.

P.S. Buy a bag of almond flour and make this pizza. It's amazing. (Just saw this was already posted!)

And microwavable porkrinds are amazing especially if you miss snacking on chips.

So I keep trying to get into low carb eating at the behest of my doctor. For breakfast I see a lot of people saying, bacon and eggs is good to go. But my question is, how many eggs? How many strips of bacon is good for a typical breakfast?

So I keep trying to get into low carb eating at the behest of my doctor. For breakfast I see a lot of people saying, bacon and eggs is good to go. But my question is, how many eggs? How many strips of bacon is good for a typical breakfast?

3 70 cal large eggs
3 slices of trader joes dry rubbed bacon 60 cal
Two scoops of reduced guilt guacamole and some hot sauce.

Sometimes I mix it up like today I tossed some spinach on cut up bacon. Then fried some cheese and poured the eggs over that. Top with the bacon spinach and it was amazing.

After doing this for a few weeks I'm not hungry anymore and I feel better somehow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I highly disagree. It's extremely easy to sustain. Salads, burgers no bun, chicken wings.

You can find one of these anywhere.

I've been on a keto diet for a year and lost almost 100 lbs.

I also took a blood test for a wellness program they encourage at work. Compared to my test from 2 years ago I've made a complete 180 and all of my levels are within normal range in terms of cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.

P.S. Buy a bag of almond flour and make this pizza. It's amazing. (Just saw this was already posted!)

And microwavable porkrinds are amazing especially if you miss snacking on chips.

Salad just sucks after a while, particularly coming from an Asian diet where you can get cooked vegetables pretty much everywhere. In Chinatown I can get a plate of steamed/stir fried vegetables and have at it... not so much anywhere else.

And even if I did the Macdonalds thing, I always feel bad throwing away buns from a burger. Considering we live in such a food waste culture, it just strikes me as wrong to throw away edible food, even if I don't eat it.

I "cheat" with peanuts, since that's basically the only relatively inexpensive option you can get when you're out. And while they're still terrible, I can't really afford to spend 10 bucks on a bag of almonds every other day. lol

Salad just sucks after a while, particularly coming from an Asian diet where you can get cooked vegetables pretty much everywhere. In Chinatown I can get a plate of steamed/stir fried vegetables and have at it... not so much anywhere else.

And even if I did the Macdonalds thing, I always feel bad throwing away buns from a burger. Considering we live in such a food waste culture, it just strikes me as wrong to throw away edible food, even if I don't eat it.

I "cheat" with peanuts, since that's basically the only relatively inexpensive option you can get when you're out. And while they're still terrible, I can't really afford to spend 10 bucks on a bag of almonds every other day. lol

You have a big variety of salad dressings that you can use to get a different taste every time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have a big variety of salad dressings that you can use to get a different taste every time.
Dressings can be bad too, depending on what you get I suppose.
Even then, only so many times you can have garden salad when everyone else is having burgers and shepherd's pie and pizza or whatever. lol

lcd

I agree with the wasting of the buns but have found that if I order with the kiosk I can remove the bun from the burger (or the english muffin from a sausage McMuffin) and they just stack the patties on a breakfast tray and supply me with utensils.

My girl has made a miracle out of multiple meat courses, cauliflower, mad veggies and we even did the cheese baked flat into crackers once already and enjoyed it for sure but this?

This my friend?

this if fucking genius. I'm doing this shit tonight. Mah god....

Forget the mini and go full sized. Made myself a fathead two weeks ago and I liked it better than the "real" deal.

Ultryx

1. You have to get enough fat or you'll feel absolutely awful.

2. Drink broth to get some extra sodium if needed. I liked drinking Powerade Zero.

3. If you're looking for an alcoholic drink, stick with spirits. I made a drink with ice, vodka, soda water, and some Mio (or similar brand flavor liquid) mixed in. Delicious!

gaiages

Banned
A balanced diet to me is eating a little bit of everything to get all the nutrients needed for daily function. Not over indulging but consciously knowing when you've had enough of something. Overeating is part habit, part eating the wrong types of food, excessive sugar combined with High GI carbs.

Keto to me just seems like giving a green light for people to over indulge in foods we naturally crave (fatty foods) so it seems easier or more achievable, whilst exploiting the way our bodies react to low carbon intake. Instead of addressing the real issues why they got in such bad shape in the first place.

Being healthier is obviously always encouraged, but I don't see keto as a lifestyle change any more than any other fad diets doing the rounds. Imo it's not sustainable because it's high maintenence, mainly because of external pressures of day to day life.

Funny enough, I got fat because I ate too many carbs! It's almost as if going on this keto diet is me accessing how I got in such bad shape in the first place.

But all bodies are the same, of course, and all of us need the exact same nutrients and macros to become totally healthy. /s

Like come on dude, you can have your opinions (factually wrong as they are, keto is not high maintenance at all), but why come here just to shit on the OP, who is seeing great health benefits with the diet? Just let people do their shit, and you do yours.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just learned pork rinds are called chicharrones here in PR and my life has fucking changed.

IC5

Keto to me just seems like giving a green light for people to over indulge in foods we naturally crave (fatty foods) so it seems easier.
I agree on this last point.

People in here talking about ranch dressing, bacon, sausage, diet sodas, heavy creams: It kinda makes me facepalm. Yeah, you may be off carbs and in ketosis, but all those preservatives, sweetners, and empty calories are hurting you in other ways.

Sauces and creams are awful for you. Yeah, they may be high in fat, but they offer very little nutrional value. And branded products are full of preservatives and sodium.
Bacon, sausage, processed meats like that can have preservatives and nitrates in them, which you should be avoiding.

Lay off the creams and sauces. Especially as individually sold products. Lay off the junk meats.

Dont eat anything with soy in it.

Depending on creams, sauces, and diet products, is going to counteract many of the anti-inflammation benefits which we should be receiving from a keto diet.

Instead of creams and sauces, drink healthy oils. Flax oil. Olive oil. Coconut oil. MCT oil.

Greek yogurt. Fayeh brand has a full fat option.

Eat nuts. Find a place where you can buy raw, shelled sunflower seeds. They are the most cost effective nut/seed.

Watch for deals on beef and chicken. Two weeks ago, I bought 20 pounds of decent steaks at 2.99lb.
Dark meat chicken was like 40 centslb Last week. We bought 60 pounds and gave Half to a friend in hard times.

If broccoli and other fresh veggies are $3 and $4 per pound like they are here: Buy frozen. Two weeks ago, frozen broccoli was 75 cents per pound. Last week it was 1.25 per pound. While the fresh stuff has been 3 and 4 times the price.

Avocados are in season. Dont pay $2.00 each. Wait for $1 and 88cent deals. Then buy 6 or 8 at a time. Try to catch the deal when it starts, then eat avocados all week and buy more right before the sale ends.

Skip the sweetners and diet products. You are supposed to be avoiding sweets and carbs. These things are cheating you and keeping you thinking about supersweet stuff. artificial sweeteners may have averse affects. And diet products are often full of bad junk.

Start learning to appreciate the natural sweetness of things. Cooked broccoli has a wonderful sweetness. Boiled radishes. Boiled bok Choi. Sweet teas. These things are subtle and will help you switch of the sugar/sweets craving.

You coffee dependants may as well fold that into your diet and ween off caffiene dependency. It's a drug and some of you are slaves to it, just like carbs. Many of you will likely have to drastically change how you prepare your coffee anyway. Drink water.

Careful about upping your nut and seed/oils intake. Nuts and seeds aee allergenic. I have zero allergies. But I bought an MCT oil which is a mix of palm and coconut. That stuff feels like a fist in my guts. Coconut only, does not. Start each nut or seed product, one at a time, for a couple of days each. To guage how you feel. I drink olive oil, flax, and various versions of coconut oil, with zero problems. But that palm oil hurts me. I thought it was just me needing to adjust to keto. But its that palm oil. No more pains after I cut it out.

If you are doing enough unsaturated fats/oils, along with tons of veggies, you should be having smooth bowel movements. If you are tired of broccoli and cauliflower and need something filling, try green beans.

All that said, I feel twice as hungry on keto diet. And I was already constantly hungry on a regular balaned diet. Eating more than a few grams of carbs/sugars now, makes me feel over stimulated like a caffiene high and sometimes results in dizzyness.
I feel good on keto, though. But that hunger is insane.

Palabrah

So you said all that to say that you feel hungry all the time ie that you aren't doing it right. Don't tell people how they should do the thing you can't do right. We do what we do to make the diet palpable and still work for us and it's not showing negative effect for people that are on it for years. Lord know-it-alls in this thread.

Jabronium

Just finished up week 4/started week 5. Down 11 lbs so far, most of it was in the first couple weeks (8 lbs those first 2 weeks). My lifts have nosedived, especially my bench and overhead press, but I'm chalking that up to the calorie cut (and maybe still getting fat adapted?).

Kuga

I agree on this last point.

People in here talking about ranch dressing, bacon, sausage, diet sodas, heavy creams: It kinda makes me facepalm. Yeah, you may be off carbs and in ketosis, but all those preservatives, sweetners, and empty calories are hurting you in other ways.

First, fat calories are not "empty calories" as they contribute to satiety.

You assert that preservatives and sweetners are harmful but there are no studies suggesting that either (in moderate quantities) will cause any problems.

Sweetners are not all created equal and not everybody reacts to sweetners in the same way. There is no rule in keto that mandates the use of any sweetener for any purpose. The ones with zero or low GI are simply useful as a sugar substitute.

Sauces and creams are awful for you. Yeah, they may be high in fat, but they offer very little nutrional value. And branded products are full of preservatives and sodium.
Bacon, sausage, processed meats like that can have preservatives and nitrates in them, which you should be avoiding.
Some preservatives (such as nitrates) are generated by the body naturally in far greater quantities than one could ever consume. Again, nutritional value isn't everything discussing a diet for the purposes of weight loss. Satiety is important too.

Additionally, there is no evidence that the 2.3g FDA recommendation for sodium is healthier than 4-5g daily intake. Higher electrolyte intake is important on any diuretic diet, especially during the first few months while the body is adjusting.

Lay off the creams and sauces. Especially as individually sold products. Lay off the junk meats.

Dont eat anything with soy in it.

Depending on creams, sauces, and diet products, is going to counteract many of the anti-inflammation benefits which we should be receiving from a keto diet.

Instead of creams and sauces, drink healthy oils. Flax oil. Olive oil. Coconut oil. MCT oil.

Greek yogurt. Fayeh brand has a full fat option.

Eat nuts. Find a place where you can buy raw, shelled sunflower seeds. They are the most cost effective nut/seed.

Watch for deals on beef and chicken. Two weeks ago, I bought 20 pounds of decent steaks at 2.99lb.
Dark meat chicken was like 40 centslb Last week. We bought 60 pounds and gave Half to a friend in hard times.

If broccoli and other fresh veggies are $3 and $4 per pound like they are here: Buy frozen. Two weeks ago, frozen broccoli was 75 cents per pound. Last week it was 1.25 per pound. While the fresh stuff has been 3 and 4 times the price.

Avocados are in season. Dont pay $2.00 each. Wait for $1 and 88cent deals. Then buy 6 or 8 at a time. Try to catch the deal when it starts, then eat avocados all week and buy more right before the sale ends.

Skip the sweetners and diet products. You are supposed to be avoiding sweets and carbs. These things are cheating you and keeping you thinking about supersweet stuff. artificial sweeteners may have averse affects. And diet products are often full of bad junk.

Start learning to appreciate the natural sweetness of things. Cooked broccoli has a wonderful sweetness. Boiled radishes. Boiled bok Choi. Sweet teas. These things are subtle and will help you switch of the sugar/sweets craving.

You coffee dependants may as well fold that into your diet and ween off caffiene dependency. It's a drug and some of you are slaves to it, just like carbs. Many of you will likely have to drastically change how you prepare your coffee anyway. Drink water.

Careful about upping your nut and seed/oils intake. Nuts and seeds aee allergenic. I have zero allergies. But I bought an MCT oil which is a mix of palm and coconut. That stuff feels like a fist in my guts. Coconut only, does not. Start each nut or seed product, one at a time, for a couple of days each. To guage how you feel. I drink olive oil, flax, and various versions of coconut oil, with zero problems. But that palm oil hurts me. I thought it was just me needing to adjust to keto. But its that palm oil. No more pains after I cut it out.

If you are doing enough unsaturated fats/oils, along with tons of veggies, you should be having smooth bowel movements. If you are tired of broccoli and cauliflower and need something filling, try green beans.
Everybody is different. What works for you may not work for somebody else and vise versa. Most people utilize nutritional ketosis to sustainably lose weight. The diet isn't right for everybody, but it can help many people who are insulin resistant due to the SAD.

All that said, I feel twice as hungry on keto diet. And I was already constantly hungry on a regular balaned diet. Eating more than a few grams of carbs/sugars now, makes me feel over stimulated like a caffiene high and sometimes results in dizzyness.
I feel good on keto, though. But that hunger is insane.

Frankly, if you are consistently hungry on a ketogenic diet, you are either (a) not doing it correctly, (b) not doing it long enough [as basic keto adaptation can take the body a week+ and full fat adaptation can take months], or (c) you are an outlier case and keto may not be the diet for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom