• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing this for like a week or two and I don't have any problems with cutting out carbs.

Problem is protein. I don't get how the fuck I'm supposed to moderate my protein and have enough food to eat barring just going on an all avocado diet. I just want to eat a whole rotisserie chicken man.

At 168cm I only weigh 54kg(118lb) so keto was attractive because it seemed like the best way to eliminate some stubborn areas where my bf% is higher than I want without losing much weight. But damn theres so little food available to eat and what is there is expensive.

Today I ate 1/2 pound of ground beef with blue cheese crumbles, then I had 5 scrambled eggs w/ thick cut bacon and a whole avocado. Later I'll have some nuts w/ almond butter and have some 90% dark chocolate with raspberries. This is basically the only meal set I can come up with.

Sucks because I can't really eat chicken cause its got too much protein. Normally I'd eat like an entire rotisserie with brown rice for dinner.

The thing I hate about this diet is I don't feel healthy doing it. Normally I eat like 98% clean with 0 fried foods, 0 added sugar, complex carb only, water only, low saturated fat etc and eat a lot of fruit, chicken, fish, etc but its hard to fit that stuff into this diet.

You might lose weight with this but you'll never keep it off without permanent lifestyle changes. I'm in the same fat, sick and nearly dead boat as you and I've found it easy to lose pounds simply by counting calories and holding myself to a calorie deficit. But it always comes back because I live an unhealthy life. The difficult hurdle is to become a healthier person.

HMD

My type 1 diabetic cousin is a Dr. and she's on a strict Keto diet to control her blood sugar levels, and it's going well according to her, but she complains about cysts, apparently the diet is giving her cysts. So idk you should read up on that I guess.

LowParry

I've been curious about this whole keto thing but not entirely sure where to begin. It's the sustain part that sounds horrid but I'd be up for the challenge. I'm just tired of going out and want to do something different for a while.

Keto may be an easier choice, but really I've experienced a great change just working my ass off in the gym and watching what I eat. I'd recommend changing your life, not just your diet to experience a real change in your body. Nothing beats craving water and vegetables.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The keto flu was the worst thing I had to endure and I had circumcision without anesthesia amd a cranioplasty awoken.

My dr. recommended a keto diet after all the weight I got on effexor, gained nearly 40lbs last year in 3 months. My liver was getting fatty so that was her solution.

Lost 18lbs so far in a month. Love the cooking and fatty foods. But the adaptation period, fuck it's like getting off heroin or some drug.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
But the adaptation period, fuck it's like getting off heroin or some drug.

Yup. I felt the same because it was going off carbs and who knows how much sugar intake I was consuming with the various snacks/drinks. I have been on keto for a 1 month and a half and never felt so much better in my life. It's so rewarding and I have a hard time going over 2500 calories with keto...My stomach just cannot take anymore food. This is a person who was heaviest at 250 lb at 5'8 so it's amazing that I even said 2500 calories is keeping me full for the whole day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree with the wasting of the buns but have found that if I order with the kiosk I can remove the bun from the burger (or the english muffin from a sausage McMuffin) and they just stack the patties on a breakfast tray and supply me with utensils.

Hah, I wonder if I should try ordering a Big Mac without the buns at some point and see what they come up with.

I don't know if I'm just ignorant of the types of food out there, but Asian still seems to be the most Keto-friendly if you prefer cooked vegetables and don't like to eat cow food everyday, all day.

Ghizz

Keto may be an easier choice, but really I've experienced a great change just working my ass off in the gym and watching what I eat. I'd recommend changing your life, not just your diet to experience a real change in your body. Nothing beats craving water and vegetables.

For me, it was most helpful to be mindful (via meditation) in daily life and just choosing healthier options! A soda is not going to make me 10x happier than drinking water (maybe 1.5x) so I choose to drink water instead. Etc.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Hah, I wonder if I should try ordering a Big Mac without the buns at some point and see what they come up with.

I don't know if I'm just ignorant of the types of food out there, but Asian still seems to be the most Keto-friendly if you prefer cooked vegetables and don't like to eat cow food everyday, all day.
Keto burger I ordered.

Here's my Keto McDonald's:
CVYpLxb.jpg

lcd

I don't have a pic of a burger but I've tried both the quarter pounder and the smaller hamburger patties and they were both served on the tray just by asking for no bun. Sometimes the kitchen will get confused but I haven't had any problems explaining it.

Here's a pic of the McMuffin minus the muffin (extra egg, extra sausage, add bacon) I'll do sometimes as a meal. Love when they have a coupon on the app for buy one get one McMuffins.

PowhBCu.png

Starviper

Tried the diet for like 15 days and then I caved and destroyed a plate of country fried steak and hashbrowns. I'm not really overweight or anything so to me it was more of a challenge. I can always eat healthier in general and do what I do and lose weight, but for those who have a lot more to lose (I'm currently at 160) it's a good way to get started on burning away fat.

NandoGip

Intermittent fasting+black coffee is a good combo with keto

Also dark dark dark chocolate is good for a sweet tooth

cauliflower is a great potato substitute

ground turkey and turkey in general is great

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh, I have an update!
One month later I am weighting 256 pounds, even when last Saturday I committed a cardinal sin an ate some pasta when I took my mother out. I need to watch out the protein though. My sugar levels are still higher than normal, I measured this morning and saw a 122 before eating anything :(. I think too much protein is the culprit and I need to do something about it. I've discovered some new recipes (who knew I'd love a Caesar salad so much? No croutons of course!), some stir fry with broccoli and steak, etc. So far I am doing good, also doing some heavier exercises.

NandoGip

Oh, I have an update!
One month later I am weighting 256 pounds, even when last Saturday I committed a cardinal sin an ate some pasta when I took my mother out. I need to watch out the protein though. My sugar levels are still higher than normal, I measured this morning and saw a 122 before eating anything :(. I think too much protein is the culprit and I need to do something about it. I've discovered some new recipes (who knew I'd love a Caesar salad so much? No croutons of course!), some stir fry with broccoli and steak, etc. So far I am doing good, also doing some heavier exercises.

I'm sorry, but how would protein be the cause for high sugar levels? I'm genuinely asking

Kuga

I'm sorry, but how would protein be the cause for high sugar levels? I'm genuinely asking

Some people believe that extreme excess protein intake is converted into blood glucose via gluconeogenesis.

The science isn't 100% out on whether it does or doesn't. The metabolic pathway exists but we don't know with certainty if additional gluconeogenesis is utilized in this particular circumstance or if the body just doesn't use extra protein in that way.

Most current information suggests that excess protein intake has little if any impact on blood sugar levels. Then again, everybody is different and data on keto-adapted study subjects is extremely limited.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you generally adhere to your calculated protein macro and don't go really far over the target (like +>75g over the maximum suggested daily intake).

But there are a variety of reasons why blood sugar can be higher or lower than expected, even on keto.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm just curious, when you order a burger without the bun, why not just get the burger and pull the bun off yourself? Is there an advantage to making the order more complicated?

Log4Girlz

Intermittent fasting+black coffee is a good combo with keto

Also dark dark dark chocolate is good for a sweet tooth

cauliflower is a great potato substitute

ground turkey and turkey in general is great

They got mashed cauliflower, cauliflower tots mmm delish

I'm just curious, when you order a burger without the bun, why not just get the burger and pull the bun off yourself? Is there an advantage to making the order more complicated?
Not having to play with your food like a messy child in the middle of a restaurant?

Because I don't want to lose half my cheese. Also I feel really guilty throwing the bun away, it's perfectly good.

Anyway, I love ordering bunless at McDonald's ! Burger King too. Although sometimes they put my burgers in their normal container instead of a breakfast platter and that's kind of annoying.

Small update for me: I started Keto last Monday with a 48 hour fast, and I've been in a 21/3 intermittent fast since. I'm down just over 10 lbs! Mostly water, I know, but still feels good.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tried the diet for like 15 days and then I caved and destroyed a plate of country fried steak and hashbrowns. I'm not really overweight or anything so to me it was more of a challenge. I can always eat healthier in general and do what I do and lose weight, but for those who have a lot more to lose (I'm currently at 160) it's a good way to get started on burning away fat.
You're allowed a "cheat" meal every ten days or so to rebuild your glycogens.

HariKari

Isn't that Atkins? Or Paleo?

I've never heard this concept, can you elaborate?

Generally referred to as a 'refeed' on a keto diet.

from Lyle McDonald:

The next ‘level’ up from free meals are structured refeeds, basically deliberate periods of highcarbohydrate overfeeding that is performed from anywhere from 5 hours (at the shortest) to one day (probably the average) up to three days. Although a structured refeed has psychological benefits similar to the free meals, it has additional physiological benefits that the free meal lacks. One of these is the refilling of muscle glycogen (carbohydrate stored within the muscle) which is important for individuals involved in high-intensity exercise performance. Structured refeeds also turn off diet induced catabolism (roughly: tissue breakdown), helping to spare LBM loss. Done properly, structured refeeds can be used to rebuild muscle lost on a diet. Finally, deliberately overeating carbohydrates helps to normalize most, if not all, of the hormones I talked about back in the chapter on metabolic slowdown: leptin, ghrelin, insulin, etc. I should mention that it is somewhat debatable whether short refeeds (1 day or less) have much of an impact on metabolic rate or things of that nature although a recent study (in rats, unfortunately) suggests that it does help.

If you are very overweight, you don't need to worry about it. Just eat a regular meal once a week or so, and you should be fine. If you've been doing the diet 16 weeks or so, consider taking a full week break. If you get low enough, you'll want to do a 'refeed' at a certain interval which basically involves spiking your carb intake for one day. The frequency of these is largely determined by your bodyfat% and how long you've been dieting, so seek out that information if you're interested.

the tl;dr is that destroying a whole pizza or whatever every now and then won't ruin the diet or set you back to 0, it may actually help. So don't feel guilty, but stick to the protocol as much as possible.

I've been doing low carb (although probably not quite keto) the last several weeks. I've learned to accept that some low carb versions of food will just taste like garbage. Low carb pizza? Garbage. I've tried both the almond flour version posted earlier in this thread and a cauliflower version I saw elsewhere.

I find that - for me - low carb recipes work best when they aren't trying to simulate non low carb foods. So I'll eat salads with grilled chicken, wings (making sure I'm choosing a low-carb sauce), salad bowls from Chipotle, eggs and sausage... shit like that. I guess I'm just trying to find foods that are naturally low carb instead of trying to make low carb versions of stuff that - at best - taste edible by low carb standards.

Wasn't getting great results, then went on a family vacation where I destroyed myself and bulked up to a ridiculously-high weight. Been actually tracking my calories/macros the past few days, and I feel good. I need to take this more seriously so I can actually lose the 30 lbs I need to.

I will be doing a refeed day every 3 weeks. Goodbye carbs!

Alex

I've been doing low carb (although probably not quite keto) the last several weeks. I've learned to accept that some low carb versions of food will just taste like garbage. Low carb pizza? Garbage. I've tried both the almond flour version posted earlier in this thread and a cauliflower version I saw elsewhere.

I find that - for me - low carb recipes work best when they aren't trying to simulate non low carb foods. So I'll eat salads with grilled chicken, wings (making sure I'm choosing a low-carb sauce), salad bowls from Chipotle, eggs and sausage... shit like that. I guess I'm just trying to find foods that are naturally low carb instead of trying to make low carb versions of stuff that - at best - taste edible by low carb standards.

Low carb pancakes are the only substitute that I liked, but I really liked them and they were a staple for me

Also, I never had any luck with refeeds. It won't hurt you if you need it for sanity sake or some event but staying the course always broke plateau issues for me in the end.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Must not have eaten enough fiber. God the pain.
This happened to me the past week. I felt concrete in my stomach until a few days ago, after a visit TO olive garden, the floodgates opened and so much shit came out that my asshole is still sore. God but it felt SO GOOD.

On another note! I weighted myself today at an amazing 254.3. I had never seen that weight in so much time. I measured sugar yesterday and it was 97 (at 7pm) but fasting sugar this morning was 133. It's worrying by I am not losing heart. Just keep on trucking ;I won't undo the damage I've done in years in a month.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I had been doing Intermittent Fasting (I only eat from noon to 8pm) for a year, which was a great fit for my lifestyle back then, but now that I work from home I lapsed into bad habits and went from 173 to 185.

So Im combining Keto with IF now and after 2 weeks its going really well! Lost 4.5 lbs so far, feeling much better. If you can deal with combining those 2 diets with a bit of exercise (I play soccer) I would recommend it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
His exact words were, "who told you to do that? Do you have a nutritionist?" and with my tail between my legs I had to say, "I read it on the internet."
Haha

Goddamn that's expensive...
Wut... $70 CAD for a bag of chips? Is this a joke?

Some people are conscious about wasting food. Crazy I know, those hippies!
/s

Seriously though, why the fuck are people supposedly on a diet eating at McDonalds? lol @ a lot of this thread, honestly

Seriously though, why the fuck are people supposedly on a diet eating at McDonalds? lol @ a lot of this thread, honestly

This is a joke, right?

In case its not; ordering, for example, a Big Mac without a bun is well within the limits of a keto diet, and McDonalds is much more reliable in terms of its nutritional breakdown than other fast food options on the go.

Its more humorous that people think eating at McDonalds automatically disqualifies someone from a diet.

sam12

I never understand keto or whatever fad diets.
Eat a well balanced meal, cook your own food at home, eat a lot of veggies with smaller portions of meat/protein and some whole grain and that's the best diet nutritionally speaking. You can't do keto for a lifetime but you can learn to cook a well balanced meal every day. Also less meat the better, try veggie sources of protein like lentils, beans, etc.

AnAnole

You might lose weight with this but you'll never keep it off without permanent lifestyle changes. I'm in the same fat, sick and nearly dead boat as you and I've found it easy to lose pounds simply by counting calories and holding myself to a calorie deficit. But it always comes back because I live an unhealthy life. The difficult hurdle is to become a healthier person.

The weight comes back because your brain and your body conspire to resist weight loss, causing your metabolism to slow and your appetite to progressively ramp up in a manner proportional to your weight loss. Eventually it becomes too much to resist this ever increasing hunger and you yield to bingeing, which is a natural response to any type of prolonged calorie deprivation. There are medical interventions that help. Surgery is safe and very effective. Medications can help, too. Don't be afraid to seek medical treating for obesity. This goes to anyone in this thread. Why go on another diet for the 10th time when you're almost assuredly going to fail? I'm

how do you guys calculate?

Lets say you need to consume about 25g of carbs per day and you calculate this by adding up how much carb you consume every meal before it reaches 25g?

Lets say you need to consume about 25g of carbs per day and you calculate this by adding up how much carb you consume every meal before it reaches 25g?

Use something like Lose it or MyFitnessPal to track macros. Subtract fiber and sugar alcohols from your total carbs to figure out your net carbs. That's all that matters.

You can set your goals in MyFitnessPal - 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs.

the tl;dr is that destroying a whole pizza or whatever every now and then won't ruin the diet or set you back to 0, it may actually help. So don't feel guilty, but stick to the protocol as much as possible.

I just plateaued on Keto. No weight loss for 3 weeks running yet since starting again in January its been a steady 1lb a week with no cheats at all. I had no idea you were supposed to do this. Im probably around 10% body fat currently though so im assuming its just one cheat meal not an entire day?

Mother fucking pizza this weekend!

I made an excel spreadsheet with macros for all the ingredients I use in Keto with a 1/100g ratio converter for them all. I can track everything down to the gram but I realise its overkill.

big_z

This happened to me the past week. I felt concrete in my stomach until a few days ago, after a visit TO olive garden, the floodgates opened and so much shit came out that my asshole is still sore. God but it felt SO GOOD.

Might be time to update your tag.

Korey

You can ask for it to be lettuce wrapped.

If you're not doing that, then yea you can just take it off, but you're also wasting food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom