• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Looks cool! Though I was expecting "something else" as a lot of the rumors were implying, but this looks cool. The trailer did a good job making it look like something viable in the very least. Now we need the launch line up.

Raitaro

I have to wonder how hard that one dude/gal in their marketing team had to fight the urge to put two "i's" in the new name - aka Swiitch ;-)

Maddrical

Well I had zero interest in a new Nintendo console but man that is one neat little piece of hardware, looking forward to hearing more about it over the coming months. I like the name & logo too, though seems like I'm in the minority with that one.

I found that to be a really positive trailer. I'm looking forward to more information, but seeing things like two Switch(es?) put next to each other, then having four players on two screens... that was pretty excellent.

New Mario game, so that's cool. And not another Galaxy game, so that's even better (for me).

Skyrim was completely unexpected. That was a cool surprise.

kunonabi

Man, the unit, the various controllers and the dock all look hideous. Not much else to really say as it's pretty much what we expected. Using the controller pieces NES style looks really uncomfortable with how close the analog sticks are to the buttons and the lack of a real dpad.

It also looks like it's going to suffer from the same problem as the Vita for me where the exposed screen and huge size makes me not want to actually take it out of the house.

Hopefully we get confirmation that we can use the detached controllers by themselves when the unit is docked instead of attaching that middle piece.

I'll probably wait for the first revision/price drop unless the launch lineup really is nuts. Mario and Splatoon would be a good start though.

Instro

The sliding controllers are whatever for me, but I like the look of the dock and screen. Pro controller looks good. All of it is more slick and visually appealing than I would have given Nintendo credit for, considering their usual toy like design.

Really hoping that the thing actually gets a bump from the dock though, enough to output games at 1080p. 720p only would be dreadful.

Mario looks good, instantly more interesting and appealing than 3D World. Looks like we are going back to more open exploration, at least to some degree.

AmyS

XVKEMAS.gif

Wow!!!! YES!

jennetics

The way you can use a kickstand to play while sitting moderately far away? Nintendo has seriously just created a game-changer for pooping time.

KeRaSh

I...I think I'm in? God damnit Nintendo. I haven't used my New 3DS XL since launch. Why do I always do this to myself?

Not a Nintendo guy by any means but this looks pretty cool. I love the portability of it.

If this has a really solid game lineup by mid-late 2017 I may just go out and grab one.

Qwyjibo

What will happen to the 3ds after this?

I'm worried that in trying to be both portable and home console, game makers will make the same mistake as with the Vita - the games won't be good portable experiences, and there are stronger options for playing games at home.

That's my concern too. I wish Nintendo fully committed one way or the other (my preference would be for the portable system).

Barzul

Have to say this is different from anything I've ever seen console wise....compelling even. Get the multiplayer support right and I think I'll be grabbing one. Any word on price?

BreakAtmo

Love it, having Gen7 games on a handheld finally will be sick. This is a platform where I wouldn't mind ports of older games at all.

Also I hope we can get the full Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + on it. I miss portable BoI.

MontyMarx

Neo Member
Loving that controller design as does Microsoft :)

I don't care though this will be the first Nintendo system I'll be getting since Gamecube

Bioshocker

I guess I shouldn't say I'm underwhelmed since it turns out Switch is exactly what the rumours said it would be.

But still. This is almost like another Wii U. Certainly not for me.

page_hero_lynx.jpg

[With detachable controllers]

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I like the system, I don't understand the controls however.

So...
Skyrim remaster
Mario Kart 8, Splatoon ports
Super Mario Mexico Fiesta
Zelda BoW

I think we have an assupmption that Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, (and Smash Bros.) are getting updated versions. Not exactly ports or sequels.

Oh yeah, digging the branding of this too. It's refreshing and fun, simple and smart. Has the Nintendo charm, just grown up a little and still sets itself apart from the competition. When I type that out I realize it's something I've been wanting since the days of the original Wii.

Not knowing what the console hardware does when it's plugged in, it looks okay but playing with dicky small controllers, you're not gonna be whooping and hollering like they're showing. Curious piece of hardware

The physical size of a controller has rarely caused me to not have a good time.

They look roughly the size of an NES controller and we did plenty of whooping back in the day.

Bladelaw

If Mario Maker shows up on this thing before launch I'm pre-ordering the shit out of it. Otherwise I'll wait for the hype train to cool off and see what's what.

I love the hardware design. I'm interested in what appears to be the "default" controller (black square with the detachable wiimote like devices) it looks uncomfortable but who knows, at least there appears to be a "pro" option.

The things I'm really hoping to hear between now and launch:
  • Mario Maker, either via back compatibility or a new version with more features
  • Virtual Console without needing to rebuy shit again
  • Battery life detached
  • Launch titles
  • Price

I know some are obvious like launch titles and price but I'm much more "wait and see" on this that I was with the Wii U. If I get to bring my virtual console games over and continue to play Mario Maker then I'm almost guaranteed to buy it day one.

V-Gief

All in all, pretty cool reveal and definitely interesting. I do wonder about region locking though (on cartridges). It would put a massively wet and suffocating blanket on this reveal for me personally, if that was still the case.

Garou

For the love of everything, I hope the controllers all have Gyro inside, Splatoon without it would be the worst thing ever.

Power-wise I would guess that it's weaker than PS4/XBone but strong enough that most games that target those platforms can scale down to work on it. But it's also not x86, and damned if I know how much that hampers cross-platform development.

It's going to sell millions. Especially in Japan.

I predict it will pass PS4 sales before the end of 2017.

In Japan, probably. Worldwide, probably not.

Red Devil

The one relevant thing about the Mario bit is it looks like a return to the Mario 64/Sunshine formula.

It looks like somewhere inbetween, the first thing looked like a hub of sorts, the other looked like some sort of 3D World level with a different FOV.

tuffy

My next Monster Hunter device is ready, and it'll be both portable and on the big screen once again. Though unless the screen has some touch capability, it'll be the end of Etrian Odyssey as I've known it.

Stickboy2k

Neo Member
So happy to see that they didn't go the AMD route.

Nintendo took less risk and yet still found something unique and interesting.

I am not sure if I am day 1 but those Mario clips are beautiful.

I have always wanted a Nintendo system this powerful and it looks like Nintendo is ready to play hard ball.

While the other boys are playing "my GPU is bigger than yours" Nintendo might scoop up some business

Honestly I have to applaud Nintendo for the trailer easily making it known what this is. I was a bit worried cause their last two console releases had people so confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom