• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

The inferior asymmetrical control sticks are very disappointing. Otherwise looks pretty solid. I'll probably still get one.

XVKEMAS.gif

Sold.

Blam

In an introductory video released today (http://www.nintendo.com/switch), Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.

PR from their site.

also

Banned
The position of the + and - buttons is great but they look like a pain to press. Why not just have regular buttons like on the pro controller?
There better be an attachment with a proper D-pad.
Great that the default position of the sticks is asymmetrical.

Najaf

Just screams gimmick to me.

I'd never use the micro controllers. Never use that screen for split screen. Never use the switch functionality (my kids might a few times a year on road trips).

Just give me an option to buy the box with the pro controller at a discount and I'm in. Im not interested in any of the other functionality this trailer showed.

Super skeptical, but we'll see how it goes. Battery life is a big worry like others mentioned, and I'm not sure who their target market is anymore. They have Skyrim in the trailer like its a selling point, but are people really going to buy Skyrim AGAIN just so they can play a portable version? I'm getting flashbacks to the Wii days where they would announce support for a game that's a generation behind... like who cares?

But like I said, maybe this'll be a success for them. Whatever they do I hope they make good local multiplayer games since I feel like that's one thing they excel at that is still lacking in their competition.

Bishop89

Right now, the only good thing about this is that if this is replacing their handhelds, this means I will be able to play on the games destined for their handheld, on the big screen instead.

Bring on next next gen pokemon and hopefully advance wars!

matmanx1

I like it. I like the way it looks and it looks like the functionality will be good. The two big questions now are, 1) When will it be released and 2) Will it actually be comfortable for an adult to hold and play for any length of time?

Now announce pokemon sun and moon can be played on this thing so I don't waste money on a 3ds next month.

They'll announce it after the 3ds version is out of course

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
+ It's a single hardware point of purchase for all Nintendo games going forward.
+ the mario game looks fab

- ... this means it's basically a handheld that can dock to your TV for TV play, with all the power constraints etc. implied. Sort of the end of an era for Nintendo, even if they've hardly take advantage of the 'home console' constraints in recent gens.
- Not sure about the controls.
- I'm not extremely confident of support. I think it'll be fairly popular as a consolidation of the handheld and home userbases, but it'll be interesting to see what that actually translates to in today's market, and what pub support that implies.

One slight other note: it's weird to have an announcement of Nintendo hardware where it's completely readable as to what it is. There's nothing 'totally new' here, a mix of existing ideas. Makes it readable and immediately understandable, but also not the wildcard kind of novelty that we're used to with Nintendo hardware.

The Wii U didn't have a lot of support, but the 3DS most certainly did. Combining the two is the best thing they could've done.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looks damn slick, hopefully there's a screen protector when you bring the tablet with ya

is this also the next Nintendo portable? I'd be completely fine with it if it ends up being the case

Haven't given a damn about Nintendo hardware for a while, but this looks neat. If they can put it out for a good price and actually maintain third party support, I might pick one up eventually.

I mean I can hope that they will sell different modular parts of the "Joy-con" sides I guess.
Not going to happen.

The thing I noticed about that is that it looks to be in the older 64/Galaxy style instead of the 3d land/world style. The way Mario moves slightly to the left or right instead of being locked into a main direction as well as the camera. We will see though.

Also don't know if it was posted, but amazon has a page up for it already. The Switch I mean. "Currently Unavailable" but still.

So definitely down with the concept. Now we just need some games. When do you guys think they'll start talking about that? I assume there has to be another event or direct before March.

Hopefully the controller design isn't finalized, I dislike the lack of a d-pad, and the offset of the analog controllers (I prefer the dualshock desgin).

Also of note, the benefit to being able to remove controllers from the "handheld", is you can probably rotate the screen 90 degrees to play dual screen 3DS games (assuming backwards compatibility of some sort).

The Pro controller has a traditional D-Pad. The portable controllers don't because of multiplayer. I don't think it's a good trade-off (what about your friend uses a Pro controller or another Switch instead?), but that's why there's no D-Pad, basically.

DKHF

The concept is great. Though since I'm not really very interested in handheld gaming anymore I will most likely primarily play at home. But I think this could be successful.

It's not very aesthetically pleasing to me, though that doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Don't really like the name.

The trailer itself was alright, not as hype-enducing as I expected but still okay. Not interested in playing Skyrim again, I think it would have been better to show it playing a newer third party game there. Cool to see the new 3D Mario.

Jesus, someone put me on ice! I need this thing so bad.

The concept is great. Though since I'm not really very interested in handheld gaming anymore I will most likely primarily play at home. But I think this could be successful.

Don't really like the name.

The trailer itself was alright, not as hype-enducing as I expected but still okay. Not interested in playing Skyrim again, I think it would have been better to show it playing a newer third party game there. Cool to see the new 3D Mario.

You don't poop or sleep? Handheld gaming is great in the home.

Skyrim was just Nintendo showing that this is viable for 'real games', it is something that we can relate to.

I just still have to ask myself, who is this for?

Why would someone who already has a top of the line mobile phone get this? It's not like you can fit this thing + your phone in your pocket and most people already use their phone for games since you can play games + text/talk + browse the net, use apps, etc.

Why would Nintendo focus so much on the handheld market when mobiles have pretty much taken that over.

I feel like this would have been great in like....1999 or so, but now it just seems out of place in terms of where the market is.
Try playing a complex game on your phone.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm going to bet whatever you want that it's going to be quite a success, it's just feels completely right for this day and age. Also, I freaking love the impropto splitscreen and local multiplayer aspect

RocknRola

Dude if 3rd party finally deliver on a Ninty console, this will be amazing. I'm in already, but the idea of being able to play Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft and more on a modern Nintendo console...oh man!!

SO IN! BRING IT!

Vaga

Pretty much confirmed what I was expecting, an underpowered device by today's standard. Wouldn't be surprised to find it just a bit more powerful than a WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom