• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

Boke1879

Why would they bother addressing it in the films. Just recast. If you have to give a reason then that likely means they are passing on the cowl which is stupid at this point. You haven't even made a Batman standalone film. How can you move on from Bruce Wayne now?

Easily. Nightwing. Or have Flash do some time traveling shit. You can easily address this in universe based on source material.

watershed

Banned
I'm ready for a new Batman. Justice League covered pretty much every aspect of Batman's character and I don't think Affleck can do much more with the role.

adj_noun

"gracefully, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films"

How? lol.

hqdefault.jpg

Hilarious how they've managed to F this up. If Bats goes back to being a shitty fighter it'll be the worst thing they've done.

What does Affleck have to do with the fight choreography? Dude probably wasn't even in the suit for 90% of the warehouse fight.

DC wants him out?

Ben likely wants out of Hollywood at this point. He dropped a project the other day. His personal problems seem to be getting the better of him. I could see him ghosting Hollywood for a number of years before he returns with a small directing project or maybe not at all.

VeeP

Wait, why do they want to take Ben out? He was probably one of the best part of BvS?

At the very least if your gonna replace him, make it a trilogy or something and build Nightwing and others up, one movie isn't enough.

I've been saying for the last year, just flip over to another universe, could refresh everything without a complete breakaway, more like what xmen did, but not as sloppy.

Although I would also be okay if they really did just a complete reboot. Could make The Batman the first movie in that new continuity.

I doubt either of those will happen though, especially now that everyone loves WW. They'll probably do a torch pass to Grayson or Damien. I don't really like that. He stories where they temporarily take over are great, but it always wraps back around to Bruce, because it needs to, because he is THE Batman.

Hagi

Seriously? seems like there's always something hanging over the DCU at this point. I hope he stays for the solo film at least I really like Batfleck.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait, why do they want to take Ben out? He was probably one of the best part of BvS?

At the very least if your gonna replace him, make it a trilogy or something and build Nightwing and others up, one movie isn't enough.
He himself wants out. WB at this point is probably not against a clean slate either.

I would like him to do The Batman with Matt Reeves, and then I'll be fine with him leaving, and eventually returning to directing his own movies.
This seems like the best possible solution tbh. Would be a shame if he doesn't get his own solo movie, he deserves it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's a shame because the problem wasn't with him. Does this mean after the Justice League movie they're going to reboot the DCU again?

My guess is a soft reboot is coming - probably triggered by a Flashpoint type event.

The Kree

Banned
I love him as Batman and want him to keep going, but I always found it really weird that they decide to make him way older than normal when they were planning on starting a cinematic universe which was going to go for years. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with that one unless they always planned to replace him with Dick Grayson down the road.
They seemed to never have had "plans" the way we think of Marvel Studios as having plans. A lot of this has come off very reactionary. That's still OK though so long as they just focus on making the movies better and better.

Dalek

Personal opinions, I know, but I didn't care for him in the role-and for a fresh DC universe on screen I don't want an old Batman-I want a new one for years and years of new stories.

In regards to Batman. One of the big draws for Affleck was him directing a movie and that's totally out the window. Reeves is getting a fresh start, might as well let him cast the person best suited for his vision.

Ah, sorry. Thought you meant a clean slate for the whole DCEU.

5taquitos

How do you even replace Batman?

Also the irony if Tom Cruise goes from almost Iron Man to Batman.
I'm not sure I get this question. There's been half a dozen different actors as Batman over the last 30 years.

Yeah, they'd be replacing a Batman in the middle of an EU arc, but it can certainly be done.

KDC720

I hope he stays, I like his Batman and I wanted to see what he could do with the character when he had some directorial control as well. Although I have faith in Reeves.

If Justice League doesn't turn out so hot will they be that eager to go the Flashpoint route? Wonder Woman may be the only truly great DCEU film right now, but even BvS and Suicide Squad made bank and I'm sure JL will still pull in a lot of money regardless of quality.

Anung

Un Rama
Flash is the key to solving the DCCU problem. Just have him grab Wonder Woman and run to an alternate timeline with a positive rotten tomato score.

killroy87

I'll be genuinely sad if this happens. I tking he's great int he role, his physicality makes for a genuinely imposing Batman in a way we've never seen on screen.

AniHawk

if i was wb and i wanted out of the snyderverse, i'd do a crisis on infinite earths. but i would first go for a lot of audience pleasers first. have a dark knight returns-esque keaton batman film. do another donner/reeves-style superman. maybe give a jgl robin-batman film a shot. teen titans movie, etc

and then have your big crisis of infinite earths story to wipe out the stuff that doesn't work and keep the stuff that does. hell, bring in your tv heroes to the mix too.

i always thought of dc as being much looser with continuity anyway.

Top Bottom