• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Afflecks Batman script is a mess according to fanboys prone to confirmation bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
this scene was formative for me

I actually mostly like the films released so far.

Suicide Squad could have been better. But I liked the cast and it was a fun enough way to kill 90 mins. Plus Margot.

I really like BVS: Extended.

I like Man of Steel.
#imwithhim

I realize that the DCCU has issues and I generally agree with most of the criticisms of all their films but at the same time I feel like they get blown out of proportion and then hyperbole runs wild on here especially. These are all flawed films, but that doesn't mean that they're unenjoyable to everyone, what bothers you to a large extent may be a minor annoyance to another and getting all high and mighty over one person's contrasting opinion doesn't make you look any better, it just makes you look like a dick.

I don't love Man Of Steel, BvS or Suicide Squad, but I can find things I really enjoy in all of these movies as I can find things I really don't. But for me personally I think the fact that they try to be a different type of movie rather than riding on the coattails of the MCU is better. Sometimes that execution isn't as clean as it should be but I'd rather take that than a film that plays it overly safe and doesn't try anything new.

I don't hate MCU films, but it feels like they focus on the overall picture rather than its individual parts which is both a strength and a weakness. The scale of what they've been accomplishing is commendable but I feel that far too often it's individual parts are forgettable outside of a few standouts like Gaurdians of the Galaxy. It feels like I'm trotting along more interested in the end goal rather than the journey getting there.

A-V-B

This thread's title has been edited enough times that I'm surprised Thor: The Dark World isn't an option on a poll.

a916

Lol, well considering that he said he's not happy with it enough to start production, why is this even news?

Who cares if at one point if the script is good or bad... it matters if the script is good when the movie starts shooting, or more importantly when it's released.

But this thread and the reactions are LOL, especially the "lol I knew it DC suxor"

Can't they just get rid of Ben affleck? He is a terrible director and a terrible writer. Pick someone like Nolan and stop producing garbage.

Ben is a great director and I trust he will do a good job. First two pages seem idiotic with the rash conclusion about the movie. Amazing title change.

Dalek

I am one of the few that didn't like him as Batman. Ben is a fine director but he'll always be a shitty actor to me and I just can't buy him in the role.

EGM1966

Seems pretty vague rumour.

That said after BvS and SS I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

It would be going against firm for it not to be a bit shit.

you're not the only one bro.

i would say this is the problem. people like* these movies even though they are shit. no reason to try and make them not shit.

*people like them enough to pay to see them, which is all that matters, even if you scream about how much it sucked when u get home they still have your money, it was "good enough"

Saturnman

Banned
How hard can it be to write a Batman/superhero script?

Act 1 - New villain appears. Chaos follows

Act 2 - Hero/Batman tries to tackle him/her, mixed results

Act 3 - Hero/Batman comes back with new strategy/strenght and wins.

The end.

Litan

The end.
You obviously have a lot of experience writing movie scripts.

Interstellar was... sigh. Even Gods fail sometimes.

Interstellar was great... until the last 20 minutes. It was a nearly 3 hour movie... Im not going to fault a sub par ending for an otherwise fantastic film (bad endings are a staple of filmmaking these days, there are just so many great stories with poor endings lately, so getting 90% of it right is a win for modern filmmaking imo)

SpaceWolf

Banned

The end.

Thanks, Truman Capote.

Cuburt

Argo fuck yourself.

The reports about the script troubles have a good chance to be true. That doesn't mean they can't pull it together before the end, so while I understand fans wanting to defend the script like nothing is wrong and fans freaking out like the film is doomed, I think it we can only take the news for what it is, but the real story will be for us to decide when the film comes out.

The real story is the bolded quote in the OP

‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’

This is the most damning quote of all in regards to the DCEU. We've heard the various rumors and stories about what WB has done in response to production worries with these film up to release, we've seen the ways they've reacted to the film reception, and we've seen the end result in how the behind the scenes drama comes through in some messy films. Them saying that they don't care about the quality of the films as long as the money is there falls right in line with that except instead of being able to give them the benefit of the doubt like they are still trying to figure things out while putting together a cinematic universe or it's just some poor management trying to fix things after the fact, this just makes it crystal clear that they have their eyes on the dollars and don't care abotu anything else. It makes clear why they lay out their universe plans years before the first (pos-MoS) film even releases, why they felt they needed to make BvS a Justice League prequel, why they only gave Ayer a few weeks to write the script, and why they keep pushing along with the whole thing, even when the quality of the films will suffer for it. It's not just that they are too far along to backtrack on parts of it, but they straight up just need to put a film out to establish their franchises. It's why they care more about putting so much effort into a massive marketing campaigns to get people in seats on opening weekend rather than giving the films the care they need to give them good legs.

Who cares if the Batman script is a mess? It sounds like the DCEU is a mess that won't likely get course corrected unless Justice League underperforms.

Ross61

Argo fuck yourself.

The reports about the script troubles have a good chance to be true. That doesn't mean they can't pull it together before the end, so while I understand fans wanting to defend the script like nothing is wrong and fans freaking out like the film is doomed, I think it we can only take the news for what it is, but the real story will be for us to decide when the film comes out.

The real story is the bolded quote in the OP

This is the most damning quote of all in regards to the DCEU. We've heard the various rumors and stories about what WB has done in response to production worries with these film up to release, we've seen the ways they've reacted to the film reception, and we've seen the end result in how the behind the scenes drama comes through in some messy films. Them saying that they don't care about the quality of the films as long as the money is there falls right in line with that except instead of being able to give them the benefit of the doubt like they are still trying to figure things out while putting together a cinematic universe or it's just some poor management trying to fix things after the fact, this just makes it crystal clear that they have their eyes on the dollars and don't care abotu anything else. It makes clear why they lay out their universe plans years before the first (pos-MoS) film even releases, why they felt they needed to make BvS a Justice League prequel, why they only gave Ayer a few weeks to write the script, and why they keep pushing along with the whole thing, even when the quality of the films will suffer for it. It's not just that they are too far along to backtrack on parts of it, but they straight up just need to put a film out to establish their franchises. It's why they care more about putting so much effort into a massive marketing campaigns to get people in seats on opening weekend rather than giving the films the care they need to give them good legs.

Who cares if the Batman script is a mess? It sounds like the DCEU is a mess that won't likely get course corrected unless Justice League underperforms.

Before we jump to conclusions, the rumored execs don't represent the mind of all the execs that are working on the film. They don't represent the views of the directors or actors working on these films. And these kinds of things are always planned far ahead, it's the most simplest business practice. And Ayer has made better scripts in less time, so there's really no excuse there. And they're misguided attempts at "fixing" these films prove that they're taking the criticism's to heart. If they wouldn't have made recent adjustments even though some haven't panned out, then I'd say that they were just putting out films for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom