• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Afflecks Batman script is a mess according to fanboys prone to confirmation bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Bret Easton Ellis is a contrarian dipshit who spends most of his time nowadays writing lengthy diatribes about how millenials are wusses because they call out bigotry when they see it, and who, on occasion, defends his shitty fucking friends when they do unconscionable things.

Taking anything he says as true, or even as worthwhile, is done at one's own peril. Fuck Bret Easton Ellis.

Sounds like a load of shit because affleck still isn't committed on saying he's finished the script in interviews as recently as like a week ago.

Get rid of Geoff Johns on the movie tho, I'm more worried about him than I am Affleck's involvement for sure

Anyways this is the only comic movie I truly give a shit about (guardians 2, Logan, JL are anticipated for sure but I could take it or leave it) so please don't fuck this up lol

Edit: actually seems like the rumor is WB pushing forward without giving them time to fix it. After seeing what happened to suicide squad I'm more inclined to believe that

Fuck that. Don't do that to the batgod. Cinematic universes are a mistake....

mortal

Gold Member
In my opinion, DC trying to emulate Marvel's Cinematic Universe model was probably a misstep. One of the reasons why the (first two) Nolan Batman films worked was due to them being self contained. They had their own unique creative direction and plot lines.

It's pretty great what Marvel Studios managed to accomplish with adapting super hero comic book stories, culminating in several crossovers, but DC's whole operations feel reactionary.

Neither of the films I've seen so far felt all that engaging or awe inspiring given the subject matter. Very forgettable experiences. I'm not seeing much creative exploration with the super hero motif, or interesting deconstruction or reimaginings.
Even the Justice Leauge and Wonder Woman trailers seem to be more of the same. Despite having enormous budgets, these adaptations feel emotionally and conceptually cheap.

They'd fare much better producing more intimate or experimental adaptations relative to each IP. Maybe Affleck has the means to execute it with a more creative approach. Behind closed doors, I'm sure there is resistance and micro-managing from executives who prefer to not stray from the model, fearing financial risk.

Ross61

I don't get what wrong with reacting. To stay stagnant is to lose. You don't adjust and you will be gone. And Wonder Woman definitely is looking unique and exciting.
And hell, DC just found critical, fan, and financial success with Rebirth which was a reactionary move.

SomTervo

A lot of scripts are a mess early in the process. Like, scripts for seriously acclaimed films. I guess it depends where it's meant to be at this point.

The stuff about the script quality not mattering is worrying.

Also, I would never trust a word Ellis says.

commedieu

Banned
Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and then the baby looked at me.

Harmen

The part about people not seeing it English is true, I loved Jackie Chan old movies until I saw them in English.

I'd assume the Affleck Batflick will be spoken in English though, so that is a weird comparison. Unless you mean old Jackie Chan Hollywood films that were dubbed, which I doubt.

I wish that rumor from a year or so ago about Disney sniffing around to buy DC off of Warner Brothers was true more than ever.

How disappointing. This really lowers my expectations for Wonder Woman too.

zeemumu

Well who knows where the script could go. Ben Grimm could be running the Gotham City Police Department, Robin and Shadowcat could be dream thieves trained by Alfred, Human Torch could have taken up the mantle of Captain America, Batman could be fighting a robot war for the future, Superman could have invented shrinking technology, Green Arrows could have battled Shredder, Red Skull is coveting the Allspark, Thea Queen is trapped in the Realm of Darkness, and Gwen could've gotten the Omnitrix instead of Ben.

Ross61

I wish that rumor from a year or so ago about Disney sniffing around to buy DC off of Warner Brothers was true more than ever.

How disappointing. This really lowers my expectations for Wonder Woman too.
You think Disney would actually be allowed to buy DC? Lol

Disney buying DC would be awful. Plz no.

I get many of you are enamored with the mcu but for the love of God any variety (even in the form of a very maligned BvS) is needed at the moment

Well, the execs are right. DCEU movies have made a lot of money despite having dogshit writing.
For all intents and purposes what they're doing keeps working, so might as well keep at it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
After the mess that was BvS, you'd think they'd learn. It's not even about the short term gain, the fare that Marvel puts into their films drives people to see the next Marvel film.

Glass Rebel

I'd rather DC were at a company that's not Disney because it'd definitely interfere with the production of MCU films.

Universal should buy them so I can have my Flash and Fast & Furious crossover.

let's hope it's even worse than batman v superman and the brand is eternally tainted! woohoooooooo!!!

:(

I really want a good Batman movie, guys :(

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
let's hope it's even worse than batman v superman and the brand is eternally tainted! woohoooooooo!!!

:(

I really want a good Batman movie, guys :(
There's already been three good Batman movies, in fact one could consider one of them the best superhero film of all time.

Bret Easton Ellis is a contrarian dipshit who spends most of his time nowadays writing lengthy diatribes about how millenials are wusses because they call out bigotry when they see it, and who, on occasion, defends his shitty fucking friends when they do unconscionable things.

Taking anything he says as true, or even as worthwhile, is done at one's own peril. Fuck Bret Easton Ellis.

You're not wrong. And despite his predilections, Bret felt the need to clarify his comments for being blown out of proportion. Somehow the impossible happened: nerd culture blogs created too much drama for Bret Easton Ellis.

Dryk

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. It's become increasingly clear to me that Hollywood has very little respect for writers.

Ross61

Hmph
CwdBz4zVEAEV3AE.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
We will still have the best on screen Batman they've managed to achieve so it'll be fine.

Affleck > Keaton > Kilmer > Bale > Clooney

You're like the one guy on the planet who thinks the DCEU movies have been great so far, are you're calling someone else a contrarian?

HotHamBoy

I actually mostly like the films released so far.

Suicide Squad could have been better. But I liked the cast and it was a fun enough way to kill 90 mins. Plus Margot.

I really like BVS: Extended.

I like Man of Steel.

It's nice to know that these movies weren't just a total waste.

Assuming this is true, I don't even know what to think at this point.

On one hand, the DCEU has arguably been one screwup after another. MoS was average, and both BvS and SS were both highly divisive, and I wouldn't be fazed if WW and JL are misfires too. So if the script for the Batfleck is trash, that wouldn't be too shocking.

On the other hand, WB management is arguably in complete shambles by this point; for all of the alleged complaints about the script that have been made, the studio execs involved probably couldn't pick a script with potential if it sprouted wings and hit them right in the jaw. Especially if the reports about them being only in it for the money aren't without merit.

And personally speaking, Batfleck and his scenes in BvS were the only bright spots I enjoyed in what was otherwise one of the most incoherent films from a major studio I've ever seen. (Also a fan of Affleck's Argo as well.)

I want to have faith that Affleck can put out a damn good take on Batman with his film, but I wouldn't be surprised --though disappointed all the same-- if it too fell into the same hole the DCEU as a whole has driven itself into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom