• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Cousins: Mirror's Edge 2 is in production [DICE: Never trust a badmouther]

codhand

Cool, I hope this one is longer than 2 hours.
Did you speed run your first playthrough?

EkGwM.png

Easier to relaunch IPs near the beginning of a generation.

DICE is also much larger and doing a lot less side work for other studios now.

True, but I'm willing to bet if they thought there was enough interest they would have tried a sequel by now. I hope whatever lessons they wanted to take from this haven't been lost. New tech and some revised mechanics could make it a great experience.

Galang

Banned
Yay! A sequel I can be excited for! Just hope they improve it for the better and not try to add more combat. Hope solar fields is back on board too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Wonderful news. Really, really wonderful news. I hope they don't change the first-person camera and make the game more accessible, but at this point I would just buy it without thinking.

Hopefully EA doesn't screw this up

Of course they will. The chance that this will be the sequel that people actually want is very slim. They won´t do this unless they plan to sell millions of copies, and that will effect the game design.

Now we just wait to see whether Mirror's Edge 2 is Mirror's Edge but better or another heavy handed EA attempt to grab that Call of Duty money.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ha i read that tweet and thought: "GAF is gonna blow up"
Also: Ben Cousins is a godlike troll so take it with a grain of salt.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hopefully their lead platform will be nextgen consoles. Frostbite 2 can support everything.
Is that Luca Turilli in your avatar? * symphonic epic hollywood metal high five *

Empty

oh my god yes. i had given up hope as every game show passed with silence and disappointment so some actual good news on this front is wonderful.

i really hope ea doesn't mess around with the incredible core mechanics too much.

Leave in the guns, just try not to make it so shitty. Just a competent mechanic would be fine. You don't need to be able to pick them up yourself but if you disarm a guard I think using their weapon until the clip is out isn't terrible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I can feel my heart sinking already.

"You can still play this exactly like the original. We've just made it more accessible, de-emphasized the physics, modified the parkour work with a single button, and added more cinematic, action-oriented scenarios. Be sure to preorder at GameStop to get the exclusive Skyline map pack DLC, which should please fans of the first game."
"Focus groups indicated that we should streamline the experience."

Yeah, I'm better off keeping my expectations low, so I can be pleasantly surprised instead of crushed and heartbroken.

Zeliard

"Focus groups indicated that we should streamline the experience."

Yeah, I'm better off keeping my expectations low, so I can be pleasantly surprised instead of crushed and heartbroken.

In my experience, that's largely been the key to enjoying big-budget games in general this gen.

I can feel my heart sinking already.

"You can still play this exactly like the original. We've just made it more accessible, de-emphasized the physics, modified the parkour work with a single button, and added more cinematic, action-oriented scenarios. Be sure to preorder at GameStop to get the exclusive Skyline map pack DLC, which should please fans of the first game."

If they do it will probably sell more and we'll have people yelling that it 'not really a Mirror's Edge game' which is just as annoying.

Orayn

If they do it will probably sell more and we'll have people yelling that it 'not really a Mirror's Edge game' which is just as annoying.

I agree that the "IT'S NOT A REAL GAME IN SERIES X, IT'S JUST MADE BY THE SAME PEOPLE, SET IN THE SAME UNIVERSE, AND HAS MANY OF THE SAME MECHANICS!" thing gets really, really old.

But hey, there may be ways to broaden the appeal without completely betraying what people liked about the original. I'd rather they didn't go that route, but I still have a modicum of faith in DICE to pull it off.

I agree that the "IT'S NOT A REAL GAME IN SERIES X, IT'S JUST MADE BY THE SAME PEOPLE, SET IN THE SAME UNIVERSE, AND HAS MANY OF THE SAME MECHANICS!" thing gets really, really old.

But hey, there may be ways to broaden the appeal without completely betraying what people liked about the original. I'd rather they didn't go that route, but I still have a modicum of faith in DICE to pull it off.

It can be tough for a game like ME. Sure it was an early gen title, but it didn't sell a ton and didn't get the mindshare (I hate that term) that they wanted. People who didn't want to play the first one of didn't like it aren't going to jump in or come back for the same experience and that same experience is what its fans want more than anything. It would be amazing if they can pull it off but it's going to be very difficult.

Cyrano

Can't wait for the "Mirror's Edge 2 is a first-person shooter" announcement. Holding my breath until they state that the game won't have awkward shooty bits and weird punching guys in the face. Please prove that you can make a freerunning game that's about freerunning DICE.

I'm cautiously optimistic on this one, could be either the worst that could ever happen to this franchise, or be the best thing to happen this year next to Squadron 42!

Tuck

Can't wait for the "Mirror's Edge 2 is a first-person shooter" announcement. Holding my breath until they state that the game won't have awkward shooty bits and weird punching guys in the face. Please prove that you can make a freerunning game that's about freerunning DICE.

Whats the point of bringing a fairly unsuccessful game back to life if they are going to completely change the genre? Couldn't they just make a new IP?

I ask that, but I know what you say is a very real (And scary) possibility.

Top Bottom