• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Cousins: Mirror's Edge 2 is in production [DICE: Never trust a badmouther]

Bgamer90

Banned
I didn't hate Mirrors edge, but why now? If there was enough support or interest shouldn't they have tried to capitalize on it some tme in the last 6 years?

Releasing it during the mid to late point of this current gen would have just caused the game to be overlooked; it would have been competing against the various other more popular ("AAA") 3rd party games.

Releasing during the early part of next gen would be better... there will be fewer games available for the system(s). Therefore, the game will get more attention as well as more people willing to try it out. If it does decent, the game may end up getting more sequels for the rest of the upcoming gen.

Anyway, GREAT NEWS!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I really didn't mind guns being in ME. Sure it could have been done better, but I'm not really in favor of a combatless ME2 as having multiple effective solutions makes for better gameplay not worse. I just want them to remember to keep the focus on platforming/parkour.

Perkel

Banned
It will be cover based shooter. Fate is no more. Main protagonist will be buzz cut guy who look like you know who.

offshore

While this is very credible evidence, it's been over four years now of maybes, possibilities and could bes. Am not gonna be fooled again.

Zeliard

Can't wait for the "Mirror's Edge 2 is a first-person shooter" announcement. Holding my breath until they state that the game won't have awkward shooty bits and weird punching guys in the face. Please prove that you can make a freerunning game that's about freerunning DICE.

They really should just remove guns entirely as far as being able to use them. They're a very jarring fit and they just slow down the experience.

Offense should come only through disarms and brutally quick and efficient CQC, with minimal pauses in forward momentum.

Releasing it during the mid to late point of this current gen would have just caused the game to be overlooked; it would have been competing against the various other more popular ("AAA") 3rd party games.

Releasing during the early part of next gen would be better... there will be fewer games available for the system(s). Therefore, the game will get more attention as well as more people willing to try it out. If it does decent, the game may end up getting more sequels for the rest of the upcoming gen.

Anyway, GREAT NEWS!

Fewer games, but also a much, much smaller install base to purchase the game. I think the first ME got swallowed up that way.

JustinBB7

Holy shiiiiit, fuck yeah 1 of my fav games getting a sequ!... oh wait.. Origin..

Now I'm sad again :(

I hope they at least won't ruin the actual game.

Orayn

Awesome. Native Oculus Rift please.

The prospect of getting an Oculus seems to get more attractive every day.

Whats the point of bringing a fairly unsuccessful game back to life if they are going to completely change the genre? Couldn't they just make a new IP?

I ask that, but I know what you say is a very real (And scary) possibility.

I'd say it's less likely for Mirror's Edge than other series EA could revive, since it wasn't exactly a mega-hit and the praise it received was mostly centered on the game's unique aspects.

1-D_FTW

Can't wait for EA to turn this into an FPS.

Yeah. I wouldn't post too many celebration gifs. Cause I'm sure they're making necessary "adjustments" to make sure it's got that AAAA appeal.

Whats the point of bringing a fairly unsuccessful game back to life if they are going to completely change the genre? Couldn't they just make a new IP?

I ask that, but I know what you say is a very real (And scary) possibility.

Because to a suit, it's expensive to generate brand awareness for a new IP. If you can reuse an IP that's got some recognition, it's already got some built in capital.

batbeg

Wii U exclusive.

No joke, if Nintendo were smart they would have pursued this ala Bayonetta. A not quite hit title with critical acclaim that didn't seem to quite win the cash of a publisher to finance a bigger, better sequel.

It would also be the first decent sign I'd see in this supposedly tight ea/Nintendo relationship.

Bgamer90

Banned
Fewer games, but also a much, much smaller install base to purchase the game. I think the first ME got swallowed up that way.

True but the smaller install base will be more willing to purchase the game due to there being fewer games to buy for the system. If it's known as a "must buy" for the system early on, it will more than likely eventually have more sequels.

Size of install base doesn't matter if the big install base isn't going to give a new(er) IP attention due to more popular games getting their attention.

I forgot what dev said it, but this is a big reason why racing games usually do better during the early part of a gen. Since there's not much to play (and also since racing games are known for being good "graphical show off" games for a new console), more people are willing to try them out early on.

Many companies are thinking long term. They want their games to become on going series... they just don't want one game and nothing more (especially with the rise in game budgets).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Be careful what you wish for. I play ME1 today and it's like going back in time, I don't think a company can release a game like that anymore.

I am sure ME2 will have lots of dubstep, changed to be more "dark and gritty", way more guns, unlockable skills, and online pass. Oh and Faith will have gotten breast augmentation between the games.

Hopefully Rhianna Pratchett doesn't screw this up
Fixed. Will buy if it doesn't deviate too much.
cd1L6.gif

Terrific news if true! Mirrors Edge felt so new. Despite its flaws, I'm eager for more.
If you're gonna use choose goose gifs at least make it rhyme! I totally read it in his voice.

True but the smaller install base will be more willing to purchase the game due to their being fewer games to buy for the system. If it's known as a "must buy" for the system early on, it will more than likely eventually have more sequels.

Size of install base doesn't matter if the big install base isn't going to give a new(er) IP attention due to more popular games getting their attention.

I forgot what dev said it, but this is a big reason why racing games usually do better during the early part of a gen. Since there's not much to play (and also since racing games are known for being good "graphical show off" games for a new console), more people are willing to try them out early on.

Many companies are thinking long term. They want their games to become on going series... they just don't want one game and nothing more (especially with the rise in game budgets).

Didn't the first game come out fairly early last generation. It didn't feel like it got much of a boost from its timing. It may be the best chance they have, but it may come with major game change. I don't see them putting out the same experience near the same time in the generation and getting a differant result. I guess it depends on how far they are in development. They would need to have it out near launch window.

Mirror's Edge felt more like a proof of concept to me, kinda like Portal 1. I really hope they can expand on it.
That strange, because I consider Mirror's Edge and Portal 1 are two of the most finely-crafted first person games ever made.

Regarding ME2, didn't we already know it was in production? They talked about it being in early stages when Frostbite 2 was shown off. Having someone else say 'it's in production' is about as interesting as someone saying that Half-Life 3 is in production. We know it's in production. What else would they be doing?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Mirror's Edge felt more like a proof of concept to me, kinda like Portal 1. I really hope they can expand on it.
I wish every proof of concept were as good as those games. ME1 is the perfect game to pick up and play a level or two when you're bored. It's pure fun, it'll never get old.

Pretty much the only game I will definitely preorder now (with the exception of the Last Guardian if it ever gets finished). I spent so long on the time trials in the original and I'm just praying they don't dumb down the free running and make it any easier or more automated. Hell, I'm not even bothered if they add more guns as long as the platforming is at least as good as the first.

I think ME1 was/is impossible to get all the achievements on consoles. I still don't know how some ppl do it.

The speedruns and time trials are stupidly hard and I'm not some noob gamer. That's my only gripe with this game. I think the devs should've made it easier for consoles because they're not using a KB/Mouse.

SparkTR

I still find Mirrors Edge to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've played, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with it on FB2. I look forward to this releasing in two years, though maybe not it would seem.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, I hope they'll fix everything in the second game. Give me clear routes with arrows and more sticky hands on easy. I don't want to die 1000 times like in the original game. Hardcore can have their hudless runs on hard or normal.

Hated gameplay but loved the atmosphere in the first game.

Azih

Next gen Launch title. Best time to try to make a new franchise stick. Should come to PC too I would think.

I think ME1 was/is impossible to get all the achievements on consoles. I still don't know how some ppl do it.

The speedruns and time trials are stupidly hard and I'm not some noob gamer. That's my only gripe with this game. I think the devs should've made it easier for consoles because they're not using a KB/Mouse.

What are you talking about? I platinumed the game and 3 starred most of the time trials within a month of getting it on PS3. It does not need to be easier on consoles.

Fox Mulder

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Loved the game, but I feel like EA will fuck it up like Mass Effect and Dead Space. It'll be some coop shooter bullshit with online multiplayer.

Twix

Finally.

Please keep the original art style and don't ever think of replacing Solar Fields with someone else.

Zeliard

I really didn't mind guns being in ME. Sure it could have been done better, but I'm not really in favor of a combatless ME2 as having multiple effective solutions makes for better gameplay not worse. I just want them to remember to keep the focus on platforming/parkour.

I don't think it should be combatless, but guns just don't feel like a natural fit to me. You're slow and anchored to the ground while using them, which is fine for balance reasons but doesn't really make for anything entertaining. I'd much prefer they just deepened the hand-to-hand stuff and generally kept the whole thing free-flowing.

Top Bottom