• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Cousins: Mirror's Edge 2 is in production [DICE: Never trust a badmouther]

EGM1966

Please be good. Also would accept MP if correct for the style (assuming there's no way it'll be SP only to have got greenlit).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't think it should be combatless, but guns just don't feel like a natural fit to me. You're slow and anchored to the ground while using them, which is fine for balance reasons but doesn't really make for anything entertaining. I'd much prefer they just deepened the hand-to-hand stuff and generally kept the whole thing free-flowing.
I think the idea is that you pick the gun up, take your shots, then put it away or throw the gun to the side.

At least that's how I did it much of the time. Some areas I preferred taking a slower approach because it meant not dying as easily.

Orayn

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Loved the game, but I feel like EA will fuck it up like Mass Effect and Dead Space. It'll be some coop shooter bullshit with online multiplayer.

Optimism: Multiplayer is added, but it consists of a parkour-powered capture the flag mode and interesting asymmetric mode that pits a lumbering shootbang team against highly mobile runners with light or no weaponry.

Zeliard

I think the idea is that you pick the gun up, take your shots, then throw the gun to the side.

At least that's how I did it much of the time. Some areas I preferred taking a slower approach because it meant not dying as easily.

That was the basic idea but it always felt off to me. I dunno, seemed to go against the game's general philosophy of keeping a fairly brisk pace, at least when you aren't trying to figure out where to go your first time through.

It felt more like they added guns in to throw a bone to those who would have become bored with the relative lack of offense rather than something the game's design naturally mandated. I'd actually prefer it if the guns didn't keep you immobilized so you could bust out some acrobatic John Woo moves ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That was the basic idea but it always felt off to me. I dunno, seemed to go against the game's general philosophy of keeping a fairly brisk pace, at least when you aren't trying to figure out where to go your first time through.

It felt more like they added guns in to throw a bone to those who would have become bored with the relative lack of offense rather than something the game's design naturally mandated. I'd actually prefer it if the guns didn't keep you immobilized so you could bust out some acrobatic John Woo moves ;)
I dunno, man. Some spots later in the game were fucking hard, and guns provided a straightforward approach to them if you're of the FPS mindset.

Also, you can walk with them. That's not exactly immobilized.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wishlist:
Runners Log
More time trials
User generated content
No guns
No dubstep
No darkness and grit

No but you're gonna get Swedish House Mafia whether you like it or not. :p

Really really hope this news is true, so sick of getting fucked with over this game.

Foshy

No but you're gonna get Swedish House Mafia whether you like it or not. :p

Really really hope this news is true, so sick of getting fucked with over this game.
I want both Swedish House Mafia and some dubstep in this.

Along with stuff like Still Alive from the first one, of course.

Zeliard

I dunno, man. Some spots later in the game were fucking hard, and guns provided a straightforward approach to them if you're of the FPS mindset.

It's immobilized relative to how naturally spry you are. :p

I love FPS games, btw. But I think Mirror's Edge should uniquely just go the straight parkour/kick whoever's in front of you in the face direction.

My ideal ME2 would also go more for something similar to the trials in the level design, where it's always clear where to go in the general sense, and the fun and challenge comes in making a series of complex jumps and continuously moving forward with little drop-off in momentum.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
That's not bionicbeagle first tweet on Ben Cousins PR shenanigans XD

And yeah Cousins can be quite harsh (And public) sometimes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
butthurt all around. I trust Ben Cousins on this than those who are interested in concealing what they do because it's what they must do until the official announcement.

Zeliard

They'll make Mirror's Edge 2. They'll do it because if they don't, I'm gonna throw my shoe at Hitokage, and I don't think anyone wants that.

conman

If it happens, I'm highly skeptical that it would be a good game.

Mirror's Edge was so good. And (outside of combat) the things that made it good are the things that many critics hated: idiosyncratic movement controls and high difficulty.

Jac_Solar

It'd be amazing if it was open world, set in a large city, with great physics based gameplay, along with a revolutionary parkour system that let you do "tricks".

Not "press button to do a 360" tricks, but stuff like run up a wall that is adjacent to a building, then, utilizing your momentum, you kick off the wall with your right leg, and when your left leg is in contact with the adjacent building, you thrust upwards to maintain momentum. (Needs to be timed perfectly -- and not as a QTE; you control the character.)

Or something like that -- physics based gameplay that takes a lot of time to master, but is incredible once you do master it, cause you can then climb anything you want and fast.

And maybe there should also be a grapple hook/rope mechanic in the game, cause the grapple hook in Just Cause 2 was awesome, and I think it'd be even more awesome in an open world Mirrors Edge.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Those are precisely the moments I enjoyed the least from the game. Suddenly I found myself in a closed space, with only one exit and no way of approaching it without disposing of the enemies. The final section of the game was pretty hard on my no-weapons playthrough (which I can't remember if it was on Easy or Hard; pretty sure it wasn't Normal).

I love how this news breaks out, everyone gets hyped, and DICE strolls in and says, "Sorry guys, nothing to see here! Shooters only from now on!"

HAMMEROFJUSTICE

Neo Member

52419_o.gif

Zeliard

I wouldn't put much stock into that tweet. Standard procedure with this stuff is to deny anything until marketing does its thing. Cousins' tweet could have also been BS, but EA had already indicated a while back that they had some interest in another Mirror's Edge, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I want both Swedish House Mafia and some dubstep in this.

Along with stuff like Still Alive from the first one, of course.

I had a dream about ME2 being announced and instead of the Swedish minimalist/primary-color-heavy graphic style of the first game it would take place in a world influenced by 70's brutalist architecture with a soundtrack by Avicii.

Ideally we'd get more Solar Fields. Earthshine is one of the most amazing albums ever.

How did they fuck up Bad Company 2?
Talking about the SP:

1) Smaller and more narrow/corridor like levels with less exploration and much more emphasis on scripted events and setpieces. BC1 had much more expansive levels; BC2 was Call of Duty in comparison.

2) Story sucked and there was much less humor. This one is very subjective of course but BC1 is a game I play every year or two in large part for the story and characters. I never bothered playing BC2 again.

Talking about the MP:

1) Made the entire game a grindfest for unlocks, again not unlike Call of Duty. Having to unlock the red dot scope on every single gun individually is just so dumb.

2) If memory serves as the medic class you didn't even start off with a medpack. WTF

I may be wrong on that point since it's been so long though.

I have little doubt that EA wants to turn Mirrors Edge into a successful franchise, but I have major doubts that they know how (For example see Syndicate).

I just see them learning all the wrong lessons why the first game bombed and throwing the baby out with the bath water.

geebee

Banned
Who knows who is really telling the truth? Seems that there's some bitterness between both parties. If there really is Mirror's Edge 2 in development, the twitter response is probably just mad that any info was leaked before an official unveiling. I bet EA/Dice had a magazine-exclusive unveiling lined up.

Top Bottom