• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben & Jerry's drops fortune cookies from 'Lin-Sanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm not "implying" it. I didn't know that at all. Am I supposed to be born with information that random words are incredibly offensive to people due to completely arbitrary measures?

That's how silly shit like the ESPN writer being reprimanded happens. People go apeshit over random, meaningless words.

Wow, this is one of the most ignorant posts I've read in awhile.

Koodo

Banned
Rolling at the ESPN headline. I can genuinely believe that was a mistake, but damn they could not have picked a worse headline. :lol

filler

Banned
You mean I'm supposed to know some random word like "nigger" is offensive to black people? wtf, fuck this pc bullshit!!

bjork

I would be down with this if only because Return to the 36 Chambers is one of the best things ever:
SJ0QC.png

DarkFlow

Banned
As a person of Irish and Scottish decent, I find it racist that they use white ice cream with everything. Also MacDonald's is insulting Irish people everywhere with French frys implying that we still only eat potatoes.

As a person of Irish and Scottish decent, I find it racist that they use white ice cream with everything. Also MacDonald's is insulting Irish people everywhere with French frys implying that we still only eat potatoes.
Oh shut your Haggis eating mouth.
;-)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Putting fortune cookies in a flavour to honour a Taiwanese guy is pretty damn stupid, but it sounds like a good flavour.
If Ben & Jerry's made an egg tart flavored ice cream, that'd be fucking awesome.

egg_tart.jpg

or better yet, bubble tea flavor ice cream.

bubble_tea_lisa.jpg
Fine Taiwanese cuisine!

nib95

Banned
Fortune cookies a bit silly to get worked up over. Though it's also a bit of a silly novelty bad taste addition to add that Asian element imo. If I was heading the design of such a new product, I'd have offered an alternative. Sticking to a re-brand of the graphics would have sufficed.

On a side note, I'd have to agree that "Chink in the armour" could very well be racist. If it wasn't intended as such, the writer was so negligent and lacking in common sense he should have lost his job either way.

Replicant

"Chink" is apparently a racial slur against Chinese people.

Apparently. Because nowadays every word has double-meanings and it's offensive to someone somewhere.

What are you? A 10 years old? Yes, "Chink" is a slur against Chinese people.

I'm sorry that you lost your ability to be racist or to use racist language to mock people from different culture in this day and age.

nib95

Banned
I'm not "implying" it. I didn't know that at all. Am I supposed to be born with information that random words are incredibly offensive to people due to completely arbitrary measures?

That's how silly shit like the ESPN writer being reprimanded happens. People go apeshit over random, meaningless words.

Just because you're ignorant to the slur, doesn't make it any less racist. Just like you being ignorant to say a law, doesn't make breaking that law legal.

I have no idea how sheltered someone has to be to not know the racist connotation attached to that word. Damn. It's like the de facto racist slur for Chinese people. The equivalent of not knowing the racist context of the N word.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Maybe they should use rice krispies instead. That sounds like it would be good in a mix.

Oh wait, that's racist too! I never knew I could be so insensitive.

Tideas

Banned
to be fair, fortune cookie is not a chinese culture. it's an american chinese thing. go to a chinese shop in China, and none of them wil have fortune cookies

to be fair, fortune cookie is not a chinese culture. it's an american chinese thing. go to a chinese shop in China, and none of them wil have fortune cookies

Well, Lin IS Chinese-American (if we're going to use the hyphenated background thing).

This.

I guess we can't call Taco Bell "Mexican Food" either, because HOLY SHIT TACOS AND SHIT ARE OFFENSIVE TO MEXICANS.

(As a Mexican, I AM offended that Taco Bell dares to call itself "Mexican Food", but that's beside the point :p)

You mean you've never had a wrap before? :p

Doesn't bother me, burritos are as American as apple pie. My family in Mexico doesn't know what the hell I'm talking about when I mention burritos. Must be a regional thing.

Back on topic, it is pretty racist. Why can't the flavor just be basketball themed? New York Knicks/New York? Harvard? Under dog? There are a lot of aspects that you can draw from aside from his racial heritage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The phrase -- Chink in the Armor -- contains a word that has two meanings; one is an ethnic slur.

Armor is a slur for "Chinese?"

I'm playing to the fact they won't state which it is, GAF. I know what it is. Settle down.

Also being offended by Fortune Cookies in ice cream is over the top bullshit. In fact, I think I'm going to go to a Chinese restaurant, get a bunch of fortune cookies at a die a piece and put them in Ben and Jerry's ice cream. TAKE THAT POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

clav

I thought fortune cookies were made in America by a Japanese decedent.

Futureman

Don't see the big deal. Businesses basically have to be PC because they want to sell their products to as wide a range of the population.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The ice cream also contains a "lychee honey swirl," and lychee is associated with China and Chinese cuisine, just like fortune cookies (in America, anyway). So why is one ingredient offensive and the other isn't? Is it that one is natively Chinese and the other is an American invention? Why is it more racist to include the American-invented ingredient? Lin is Chinese-American, after all.

I don't see why they'd put Fortune Cookies in there anyway.
They're very much an American creation.

Just like basketball and Jeremy Lin.

Izick

I wonder if we'll ever get to that Star Trek level of human unity?

Where basically 99% of the population don't give a shit about race/creed, and just want to better humanity as a whole, instead of just their race or religion.

People will probably laugh at that, but look how far we've come in just the past hundred years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom