• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

This troll must watch Hunter x Hunter and his favorite character is clearly Hisoka.

Gulz1992

Episode 6

giphy.gif

In all honesty, there was nothing truly terrible about this episode. Don't get me wrong, it still has the quality of a movie based on a video game. It's just now on the level of a Paul W. S. Anderson film as opposed to the Uwe Boll-tier level of the other episodes.

With that said, this did have a couple of good scenes like when Schierke is casting the barrier spell around the church. They have some decent effects for her astral form and the Elemental Kings, as well as Serpico's elemental sword. I also was pleasantly surprised that the camera work during the action wasn't nauseating. I actually would go as far as to say that I enjoyed the action somewhat. The story pacing also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I figured that this episode would try to cram-in the entire village defense, but they're instead splitting that into two episodes. This is definitely an improvement and is what they should have also done for the Hill of Swords scene.

The textures on the character models look as bad as ever and the animation continues to look robotic, though.

Lastly, the PS2 game did this scene better.

Labolas

Lol, man can't believe I found people on youtube defending the animation and saying Berserk fans have no right to complain about it.

Buckle

Animation is horrid still but I did get a pretty good kick out of Puck and the other fairy messing around with food in episode 17 and then slumping in defeat as Casca easily took it from them.

Puck was a character I instantly thought "oh please god no" when I first heard about him but he's been genuinely funny at times, such as when he uses Guts' sword to trap Isodore and then turn around and tell Guts "I caught a thief".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Man this shit is painful to watch week in and week out. Its better than the first season but that's like saying getting only my foot cut off is better than getting my leg cut off and yes I'm being hyperbolic.

Gaf could probably crowdfund a better animated version of Berserk. I haven't seen an episode since I think 2 or 3 of the first season. It's depressing enough to see the Gifs.

Grudy

Man this shit is painful to watch week in and week out. Its better than the first season but that's like saying getting only my foot cut off is better than getting my leg cut off and yes I'm being hyperbolic.

Meh I can't do it anymore either. Especially when AoT is being so good and releasing just one day after Berserk. I never feel like watching it anymore, not even to make fun of it.

Gulz1992

I don't want to watch any more of this either, but if no one else is going to than who's going to post more funny gifs? :(

Astral Dog

So this is indeed better than the first season? Might watch it then

Gulz1992

So this is indeed better than the first season? Might watch it then

It's still not a good anime, and I don't recommend it at all. It's not quite abysmal like the first season was...it's just mearly bad. The narrative also makes little to no sense if you're not familiar with the manga.

Arkeband

Banned
There was a cool shot where Schierke was looking up at Guts from under her hat and the camera was from her perspective, and Ivalera leans down from the top.

I don't remember if that was a panel in the comics but it was weirdly creative compared to what we usually get.

Gulz1992

There was a cool shot where Schierke was looking up at Guts from under her hat and the camera was from her perspective, and Ivalera leans down from the top.

I don't remember if that was a panel in the comics but it was weirdly creative compared to what we usually get.

It was in the manga. Anything that seems creative in this anime comes from the source material, not from the minds of the studio team.

Kaizer

Banned
So, I wonder if this season is going to end with [Manga Spoilers]
Guts fighting Griffith's posse in the Berserker Armor?
They're moving through this story arc at a quicker pace than I anticipated.

This is Isidro mentally as he watches Guts kill the Ogre...
1287229c7ce75131eada4face366c6a8c4c805e2_hq.gif

I'm actually surprised they put the effort into animating Schierke's swaying. So about two eps from now Guts is going to need an adult?

Gulz1992

So, I wonder if this season is going to end with [Manga Spoilers]
Guts fighting Griffith's posse in the Berserker Armor?
They're moving through this story arc at a quicker pace than I anticipated.

The title for the final episode has been revealed as "City of Humans", which means that this anime is ending with Guts and crew reaching Vritannis.

This means that this show will have covered at least 3/4 of the entire Millennium Falcon arc (which is even longer than the Golden Age) in only 13 episodes. Let that sink in.

It's baffling that they're going to try and cover all of Vritannis in just 4 episodes. They're going to have to cut out a hell of a lot to make it fit.

HStallion

It's baffling that they're going to try and cover all of Vritannis in just 4 episodes. They're going to have to cut out a hell of a lot to make it fit.

That's basically the name of the game for this adaptation. They've been sprinting to cover the biggest events and screw most anything else.

Ushay

Checking in on this thread makes me feel better about ditching after that abortion of a first season.

Show needs to end quickly. So, so bad.I just don't understand why a top studio can't pick this series up and animate it from start to end. Isn't Berserk popular in Japan?

HStallion

Checking in on this thread makes me feel better about ditching after that abortion of a first season.

Show needs to end quickly. So, so bad.I just don't understand why a top studio can't pick this series up and animate it from start to end. Isn't Berserk popular in Japan?

Its popular but its still Seinen and a pretty brutal and fucked up one. Its not anywhere as popular as something like Naruto or most major shonen's but that said, it just sounds like there wasn't much passion or drive behind this adaptation from either the anime studio or the people in charge of the IP. Just look at that crappy Berserk Musou we got as another example.

So the latest episode is still the same crap you'd come to expect of this adaptation: shitty CG, bad direction, and all the other crap that plagued season 1. Thankfully that one troll scene was not nearly as bad as I thought it would've been although the fight with Slan and the other trolls seems a bit rushed IMO. On a side is it me or does the sword of actuation look a bit weird, there's just something off with it, maybe the color.

That being said, I imagine the next episode will be grunbeld and the berserker armor, leaving only 3 episodes to actually cover vritannis assuming we only get twelve episodes in total. It's probably going to be a nightmare to pace that since there's simply way too much after this to cover in 3 episodes.

So the latest episode is still the same crap you'd come to expect of this adaptation: shitty CG, bad direction, and all the other crap that plagued season 1. Thankfully that one troll scene was not nearly as bad as I thought it would've been although the fight with Slan and the other trolls seems a bit rushed IMO. On a side is it me or does the sword of actuation look a bit weird, there's just something off with it, maybe the color.

That being said, I imagine the next episode will be grunbeld and the berserker armor, leaving only 3 episodes to actually cover vritannis assuming we only get twelve episodes in total. It's probably going to be a nightmare to pace that since there's simply way too much after this to cover in 3 episodes.
At that last minute they can just MS Paint scribble "They get on a boat" and just cut to the end credits.

Audioboxer

I've never seen Berserk before, but after hearing it mentioned constantly, probably because Season 2 is here, where does one start?

Just watch the 1997 anime and then this? I know there is The Golden Age Arc movies, but I see they get heavily criticised for CG.

I've never seen Berserk before, but after hearing it mentioned constantly, probably because Season 2 is here, where does one start?

Just watch the 1997 anime and then this? I know there is The Golden Age Arc movies, but I see they get heavily criticised for CG.

Read the manga. That's seriously the best and most authentic way to experience berserk. Every other adaptation, even the excellent 1997 anime, has stuff removed or changed. In terms of tone/authenticity to the spirit of the manga the 1997 show is the best of the bunch, but it's incomplete (doesn't actually show the complete ending to the golden age arc), removes stuff, and part of impact of Gut's character development is lost due to not seeing black swordsman arc Guts. The golden age movies are fairly decent provided you have a good understanding of the source material and the less said about the 2016/17 anime the better.

Gulz1992

Watch the 1997 anime. While it is very dated in it's animation and makes some deviations from the manga, it's generally well made and well directed, has an excellent soundtrack, and does a great job capturing the feel and tone of the Berserk manga. After watching it, than read the manga from the very beginning, as I think this is the best possible way to experience the Berserk story since the early chapters of the manga aren't very great but do become more enjoyable after seeing the anime.

Do not watch the 2016/2017 anime. It is the equivalent of a movie based on a video game, and not one of the better ones like Mortal Kombat 1 or Silent Hill 1. It's more along the lines of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation or Silent Hill: Revelation, or even an Uwe Boll film. I don't mean just the visuals, but literally everything - the script, the direction, the characters, the pacing, the sound - everything is on par with some of the worst video game movies. DO NOT WATCH IT.

I've never seen the Golden Age movie trilogy and probably never will, so I can't comment on how good or faithful of an adaptation it is. I somehow doubt it's worse than the current anime, though.

Once again, read the manga. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

If you aren't going to read the manga then watch the trilogy movies. This new series is a continuation of the movie trilogy. The 1997 anime is missing key characters from the Berserk series and has a bad ending.

Another piece of trash in the absolute abyss that is this series, shout-out to the techno remix of the already disgusting Berserk theme that played at the end, the production team really has no shame.

It's also insanely funny that the PS2 game linked a few posts above looks like a masterclass on mise-en-scène and art direction compared to this anime, even if this video game is just doing the bare minimum, it works.

Makes you think how fucking low the anime is, and has been produced -- insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom