• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Man, Berserk deserves so much better

At least it still delivers hilarious gifs

Robot Casca!
giphy.gif

The 2D art in this ep is nice, but that's about it. Griffith looks horrible in shots, especially head on. Griffiths horse used fly, it's highly effective. They just copy pasted the same Kushan head.

Arkeband

Banned
The latest episode wasn't that bad actually aside from the terrible camera work during the cliche Isidro/Schierke boob grab gag. The robotic movements honestly make it feel like Thunderbolt Fantasy at times but sometimes it works. Guts definitely looks and sounds like how I imagined Guts would. VA's are doing work.

We'll see how they fuck up
Guts vs Grunbeld.

Hellraider

If you're going to skip a gajillion of things, would it be too much to ask to have the Isidro boob grabbing scene removed?

Momentary

Banned
Decided to try and watch this today and I just can't. I even skipped to the newest episode of season 2 in hopes of seeing a jump in animation quality and nope. It looks even worse.

I'm a HUGE Berserk fan and I can't believe the IP is being treated this way with a crappy musou game and now with this.

This show makes me beg for the movies' animation quality.

myco666

Checked the first episode of this season. Jeez. Somehow this seems way worse than season 1. And god that Griffith + Locus gif is awful.

The latest episode wasn't that bad actually aside from the terrible camera work during the cliche Isidro/Schierke boob grab gag. The robotic movements honestly make it feel like Thunderbolt Fantasy at times but sometimes it works. Guts definitely looks and sounds like how I imagined Guts would. VA's are doing work.

We'll see how they fuck up
Guts vs Grunbeld.

You like the VA? Really? They are all robotic as fuck. I kinda imagine they get the scripts at home and read that shit after breakfast and send a 128kb-mp3 to the director. That's the level of professionalism I'm expecting from this show.

This show makes me beg for the movies' animation quality.

In a lot of people's minds this show erased the movies shitiness, which was an even worse adaptation of Berserk than this thing (not in scene-composition but content-wise)

DoGl5eq.png

These sort of transition happens a lot. From a clean feature to a shity-ass 3d model. And the inbetween is an ugly ass piece of animation with clunky framerate.

We mock the copy-paste but this shit was a plague back then too

mVtSk0l.png

This is a theatrical movie. I might understand this bullshit from the shitty show cause they probably are working with fumes and crazy deadlines. My expectation for a theatrical movie are a bit higher though.

At least the VA's send in their recordings after breakfast. Would've been worse if you heard them chewing and stuffing food into their face as you were watching it.

Numb

Wonder how the shitty anime has been turning out?
Starting episode 2. My reaction so far:
pain%20face_zpsvu0w9vff.png

Here's also more of the lovely 2D art from the intro: /s
lovely%202d_zpsa8atdz8s.png

Also Griffith's murder face:
griff-falconface.gif

Edit:

Serpico and Farnese's backstory is so rushed and disjointed that they may as well have not included it. The black background "flashback" effect also looks half-assed:
no%20backgorunds1_zpsyndz9ynk.png

no%20backgorunds2_zpsjrdxrjd0.png

The CG skeletons from the first season have returned as ghosts!
cgghosts_zpsojqr3gio.png

Robot Casca!
giphy.gif

What Black Swordsman adaption? They completely skipped that along with the Lost Children just so they could rush straight to the part of the story where Guts starts to form his JRPG party, likely because they were hoping that's what would get them the most viewers. When you see how they've been handling the story along with stuff like this:
Its+not+just+bad+its+copy+and+paste+art+_a35f3b67d38bbd52b0ae33f85b0875ea.jpg

it's hard not to get the feeling that at least someone at the studio doesn't care or isn't trying. Also, Studio 4C actually was planning to adapt material beyond the Golden Age, it just ended up not happening because of the movies flopping.

I just saw the new episode an hour ago.

I'm actually surprised by how much I didn't hate it, considering how abysmal this anime has been so far. And this episode wasn't abysmal...it was merely bad. This is likely just a case of expectations being so low that it was easy to surpass them à la the good gruel. It's still not a good anime, though, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone .

Having said that, I thought there was some stuff that actually worked fairly well. The score is alright. Nothing special, but they've gotten better at playing tracks that sound appropriate for the mood of the scene. There's no stupid jazz. The art direction has also gotten better. It still doesn't look great, and the texture work on the models is still distractingly bad, but some of the environments looked good. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't as horribly chopped up MTV style as the previous episodes. There is less shaky cam during the fight scenes, and they actually had long shots of characters with some nice camera angles to boot. So, in certain scenes, this episode actually has a little bit of atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the animation and story pacing are still god awful. The large-scale armies barely move at all even though the CG is supposed to make it easier to animate large crowds. There are panning shots of CG characters which look terrible and would have made more sense to be in 2D, like the 1997 anime. Mule's introduction is ruined. It starts with him already fighting the Kushan, so you're not properly introduced to him or his motivations. I also get the feeling that viewers who haven't read the manga will be confused due to how rushed this show is and how it cut important scenes and story arcs. Sonia's psychic abilities, for instance, are glossed over, and Griffith makes a reference to the Vortex of Souls that has absolutely no context for anyone who didn't read the Black Swordsman arc.

They also gave Grunbeld the CLANG, so we already know what to expect from the Berserker Armor fight.

Also, Zodd looks ridiculous.
Jujkxog.png

As does Casca.
lKTBlSf.png

And we still have shots like this:
giphy.gif

The bottom line is that this anime is made by people who don't know what they're doing, and it shows. It's a shame because there are hints of something awesome in there, like when the story from the manga is allowed to be unmolested, and the music is allowed to shine through, and when the camera isn't moving all over the goddamn place.
full
full

full

full
full

full

full

full

full
full

full

Preview of Episode 3
KrNQkz.gif
full
full

full

Smart move dodging this
Turning one of the most good looking manga out there into a PS1 3D game smh

Why do the horses look like they're gliding?

I think Griffith's horse is supposed to be still, but the appear to be moving due to the camera pan, kind of like that camera technique when it focuses on someone in the foreground and the background stretches away. But it doesn't work at all because the wall in the background barely moves.

Either way, the shot looks horrible and I continue to hate the animation in this show. I only made it one episode in before giving up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This reminds me of a cheap community theater production of Berserk where flats are being slid across the stage while people walk on a treadmill to imitate movement.

This reminds me of a cheap community theater production of Berserk where flats are being slid across the stage while people walk on a treadmill to imitate movement.

Just some stagehand behind Griffith pushing his "horse" out onto the stage. (It also doesn't help they decided that a horse at idle apparently requires zero animation.)

XAL

Why do the horses look like they're gliding?

I think if a competent animation team had control of it, the camera would move up to the shoulder to get closer to Griffith.

But since that's not the case and there is no ground to the environment and this was done quickly, it looks like it's putting in a fat zoom to the shoulder but also pulling the MoonKnight toward the camera while also pulling Griffith forward and enbiggening him.

It looks fucking weird.

Arkeband

Banned
You like the VA? Really? They are all robotic as fuck. I kinda imagine they get the scripts at home and read that shit after breakfast and send a 128kb-mp3 to the director. That's the level of professionalism I'm expecting from this show.

Maybe it's because I don't understand Japanese, but at least in the latest episode, Guts has a kind of softness to his tone that is essential later on. I've liked Puck and Isidro too. Farnese and Serpico are mediocre and I haven't heard enough of Schierke yet. Griffith is being butchered by the animators so it's really hard to judge him.

There's something really wrong with the soundtrack of this anime. Does anyone else notice this weird low-note groan or sigh-like sound in the background? What even is that?

I've been reading some opinions from around the internet and I was surprised to see a lot of people actually liking this and the 2016 anime. Baffling.
This shit is really annoying since I watch this with headphones. I always think there's an ad playing in the background or there's somebody else in the room with me.
With a little adjustment the scene is actually pretty decent

https://vimeo.com/212423274
The memes are better than the actual show, lol.

Maybe it's because I don't understand Japanese, but at least in the latest episode, Guts has a kind of softness to his tone that is essential later on. I've liked Puck and Isidro too. Farnese and Serpico are mediocre and I haven't heard enough of Schierke yet. Griffith is being butchered by the animators so it's really hard to judge him.

I like Puck too. I actually think Puck in this show is probably the most faithful adaptation of anything related to Berserk in any medium. They just forgot everything else.

Hellraider

There's something really wrong with the soundtrack of this anime. Does anyone else notice this weird low-note groan or sigh-like sound in the background? What even is that?

I've been reading some opinions from around the internet and I was surprised to see a lot of people actually liking this and the 2016 anime. Baffling.

Sound direction in general is some of the worst have ever listened to in anime. Everything related to the sound effects is a garbage fest, and they have somehow even managed to destroy the (mostly) great soundtrack by having no idea how and when to play the tracks.

Labolas

Holy shit just seeing the gifs of season 2 makes me mad. Why? Why the fuck does Griffith's cape have no animation to it? This makes Rage Of Bahamut look like a fucking mastercraft of animation.

Grudy

That happened?

Sound direction in general is some of the worst have ever listened to in anime. Everything related to the sound effects is a garbage fest, and they have somehow even managed to destroy the (mostly) great soundtrack by having no idea how and when to play the tracks.

What you don't like jazz music playing at one of the most climactic moments in the story?

Mendrox

Holy shit just seeing the gifs of season 2 makes me mad. Why? Why the fuck does Griffith's cape have no animation to it? This makes Rage Of Bahamut look like a fucking mastercraft of animation.

Rage of Bahamut is a mastercraft of animation. I would rather compare it with another piece of shit ala Asterisk War or if we go into 3D territory: Ajin also looks way better.

Gulz1992

The FMV's from the PS1 MediEvil games had better 3D animation and texture work than this anime. They also had competent direction and camera angles, which this anime almost completely lacks.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

leakey

Robot Casca!
giphy.gif

"What the fuck did you just say about me, you little witch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my squad in the Band of the Hawk, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Chuder, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the ..."

This show is ridiculous.

horkrux

I have to say I like many of the fighting scenes. They aren't as much of a mess anymore as they were in the first season I feel like.

The rest is garbage.

Do I was watching the Musou cutscenes recently, and realized that the main advantage they have over the series is just clarify of plot point.

If someone went from the movies to this show without any knowledge of the manga, they'd probably be baffled by the existence and dopey treatment of the baby.

So many big moments or plot points are generally incomprehensible.

Labolas

Holy shit, college professors should should this series to students on how NOT to do animation.

Rage of Bahamut is a mastercraft of animation. I would rather compare it with another piece of shit ala Asterisk War or if we go into 3D territory: Ajin also looks way better.

Fair enough. I'm comparing both because I'm currently watching Rage of Bahamut.

Gulz1992

Episode 4

Can't really decide if this episode was worse or on par with the previous one. On one hand, the pacing is still godawful. At the rate they're rushing and skipping through the story, I still expect the final episode of this season to end with Guts and crew getting on the boat. The animation and texture work on the character models is still terrible, although I will admit that Schierke's model actually doesn't look too bad. It's not great, but she's easily the best the looking character in this entire anime so far. The few action scenes in this episode are about the same level as the ones from the previous episode; basically, they're still not good, but at least the director calmed down a bit with the camera and you can actually see what the hell's happening.

We also see the REAL return of the CG skeletons from Season 1!
cEzDgif.png

And more of the half-assed black background effect:
GNUyagm.png

I'm not going to post a pic of the CG trolls since that's already been done. I will say, though, that the Beats of Darkness doesn't look much better.
eXMLvFk.png

Also, have you ever wonder if Isidro has earwax? At least, I assume that's what we're supposed to be looking for with this shot.
giphy.gif

Overall, this anime still has the quality of a movie based on a video game. But, with this and the last episode, they've almost managed to improve from Uwe Boll-tier level to post-Mortal Kombat Paul W. S. Anderson-tier level. Baby steps!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Another good episode. They covered a lot of ground and adapted the manga chapters pretty well. Looking forward to the upcoming fight.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a good digital version of the Manga?

Not in English. Dark Horse publishes it in the US but I guess they don't want what could be considered adult content under their name on a webstore. That or there is some weird rights issues but it feels like they're fine leaving money on the table.

Speaking of the latest manga episode has been translated.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I want to hear the full version of the song they play for the next episode previews. Anyone know the name? It sounds like a dirge probably the best song ive heard from this new adaption.

While the group shot at the end of the latest episode is not nearly as bad as that infamous copy paste job that was in season one, it still isn't particularly good considering that there's still a few reused character models, just farther apart now instead of almost next to each other.

I think I'm on ep 4. "Isidro, just throw some rocks" *cue rock and roll riff* Why is there light on everything but Schierke's face? The lighting makes no sense. Is there a gif of Schierke opening up the door and then the camera zooming in on her? It was like Jojo levels of hilarious. Scheirke is legit the least fucked up looking character in this show. If I'm not mistaken they meet the elder witch far too early in this.

Gulz1992

I think I'm on ep 4. "Isidro, just throw some rocks" *cue rock and roll riff* Why is there light on everything but Schierke's face? The lighting makes no sense. Is there a gif of Schierke opening up the door and then the camera zooming in on her? It was like Jojo levels of hilarious. Scheirke is legit the least fucked up looking character in this show. If I'm not mistaken they meet the elder witch far too early in this.

No, it's accurate to the manga in this being the part where they meet Flora. It's just that the anime rushes through everything with incredible speed, so it feels like things are happening too early.

Also, is this what you're referring to?
giphy.gif

No, it's accurate to the manga in this being the part where they meet Flora. It's just that the anime rushes through everything with incredible speed, so it feels like things are happening too early.

Also, is this what you're referring to?
giphy.gif
Yeah it just feels like everything is happening too damn fast and yes that's the scene I was referencing.

The part where Ivalera and Puck are teasing each other is so janky looking. Yet the 2D art on them looks good, this should've just been 2D. The show Guts says that he wants to punch the Godhand in the face, yet in the Black Swordsman conclusion he pretty much tried to do that to Femto yet he gets swatted away like a fly.
"Yo Guts, take this Earth Axe."
"Nah I'm good."
They clearly did not have the budget to draw or animate all of Skull Knight.

Gulz1992

Episode 5

The animation in this series is really bizarre. The characters will stand perfectly still while someone is talking, with no animation and no facial expressions, and then suddenly there will be a slight movement.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I wonder if this is why the director is so obsessed with these camera motions:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe he's trying to give the illusion that something is actually happening in these scenes. I'll say it again, the FMV's from the original PS1 MediEvil game that came out in 1998 have better animation and direction than ANYTHING in this show.

Also,

EXTREME CLOSE-UP!
giphy.gif

And Schierke is having a seizure!
giphy.gif

And more copy pasted crowd, though with a little more effort at hiding it at least.
ZPEMxB1.png

I could just leave it at that, but what about the story? Well, the script and pacing of this anime continues to remind me of Silent Hill: Revelation. Pretty much any time anyone opens their mouth to throw up some lame, stilted exposition, it induces groans. At times it's even worse than that movie in this department, and that's saying a lot. And even considering all the exposition, I still get the feeling that people who haven't read the manga will be lost and confused due to how briskly it rushes through everything and how it references stuff from the Black Swordsman arc that has no context for non-readers.

And more copy pasted crowd, though with a little more effort at hiding it at least.
ZPEMxB1.png

So, Mr. Simpson, you admit you grabbed her can. What do you have to say in your defense?

Mr. Simpson, your silence will only incriminate you further!

ywapUU0.png

No, Mr. Simpson, don't take your anger out on me! Get back! Get back! M-Mr. Simpson! NOOOOOOOO!

Those .gifs are something else. I really can't fathom something can look so terrible. I'm impressed that with every new image of this show that I see it manages to look even worse. How can anyone involved think this is even worth making, never mind releasing to the public?

Got

Banned
Not in English. Dark Horse publishes it in the US but I guess they don't want what could be considered adult content under their name on a webstore. That or there is some weird rights issues but it feels like they're fine leaving money on the table.

Speaking of the latest manga episode has been translated.

too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom