• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Uh yeah, and that's clearly different than vengeance or punishment, so what is your point?

Point is that he's clearly angry at Griffith for setting off the events that landed him in the branded, nightmarish life he lives, now. Safe to say that he'd want revenge not only for their past together but also to try to stop the constant monster attacks upon his person.

Point is that he's clearly angry at Griffith for setting off the events that landed him in the branded, nightmarish life he lives, now. Safe to say that he'd want revenge not only for their past together but also to try to stop the constant monster attacks upon his person.

Anyone would be angry and want vengeance, that goes without saying. Guts went from deeply admiring someone as a friend to being grossly betrayed by them in one of the worst possible ways. When something like that happens there's a kind of logical shift where the extent of your feelings retroactively become funneled into hatred. This is a perfectly reasonable coping mechanism, I've never stated anything differently. The point I'm getting at is philosophical. Don't you think his feelings are kind of difficult to process, and he may not be fully aware of his motives or exactly what he hopes to gain from vengeance as the motive? All I'm talking about is how viable vengeance is to satisfy anything. You certainly can't get Griffith to recognize his mistake. He may die, but who even knows if they have enough human fibre to give a shit in a way that would really satisfy anyone. The Godhand are kind of cosmic monstrosities devoid of moral reason or human understanding. It's an incredibly obvious point to the degree of cliche, but vengeance leads to an unsatisfying conclusion, which I think is only emphasized here considering the kinds of beings we are talking about aren't even human. It's like Moby Dick but instead of being a whale they're beings that are probably just too fucked up to care in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Alric

Anyone would be angry and want vengeance, that goes without saying. Guts went from deeply admiring someone as a friend to being grossly betrayed by them in one of the worst possible ways. When something like that happens there's a kind of logical shift where the extent of your feelings retroactively become funneled into hatred. This is a perfectly reasonable coping mechanism, I've never stated anything differently. The point I'm getting at is philosophical. Don't you think his feelings are kind of difficult to process, and he may not be fully aware of his motives or exactly what he hopes to gain from vengeance as the motive? All I'm talking about is how viable vengeance is to satisfy anything. You certainly can't get Griffith to recognize his mistake. He may die, but who even knows if they have enough human fibre to give a shit in a way that would really satisfy anyone. The Godhand are kind of cosmic monstrosities devoid of moral reason or human understanding. It's an incredibly obvious point to the degree of cliche, but vengeance leads to an unsatisfying conclusion, which I think is only emphasized here considering the kinds of beings we are talking about aren't even human. It's like Moby Dick but instead of being a whale they're beings that are probably just too fucked up to care in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Well like the SkullKnight said "you can either defeat Griffith or save Caska". Guts can't do both and while I do think if you put Griffith in front of Guts right now his rage will completely take over and his only goal will be to try and destroy Griffith I think this Sojourn and comradely no matter how awkward might start to change his feelings. I think Guts is in a shit position. The world of Berserk is Dark and never really leaves an opening to a happy ending. There is so many variables and while we are sure Guts hasn't seen the last of his suffering or quest for vengeance I'm not sure which way it'll go yet. I honestly don't want to over think it too much because I enjoy the story when they decide to release new chapters that is.

Veelk

Banned
Morality is itself a direct product of both empathy and agency, though. Seriously, you can essentially reduce it to those two factors alone. If you remove both then they're no more evil than a natural disaster. They may still have agency, but empathy would be the factor that informs moral agency.

I think the entire reason they're 'evil' is because you're taking an ego and separating it from any moral framework. An ego placed in such a situation without the controlling influences will incline towards what we see as 'evil'. It's a paradox, but they can be external to any moral framework (in terms of intent, perspective, etc) and still for all of our purposes be 'evil'.

Well, that why I said that he could be an evil tool. He is different from a natural disaster, however. No one made hurricanes, they just happen from natural circumstances. Femto was specifically crafted by the Idea of Evil to do a specific thing: Cause as much harm as he can. Hurricanes have no will and aren't controlled by anyone. Griffith has his own will while also made for a evil purposes.

Second, there are things such as moral sociopaths. Or, at least, ethical ones. Their lack of empathy means they can't truly care about people around them in terms of feelings, like most normal people do, but they can still follow certain rules because they know, on an intellectual level, that it is wrong, by adhering to some ethical system (usually utilitarianism, iirc). Griffith is still capable of this as femto, because even if he doesn't feel what he felt before, he still knows that what he did to them and the rest of the Band of the Falcon is wrong. When he was griffith, he tried to ignore that for his dreams, but as Femto, he truly doesn't care. But that does not mean his understanding of morality has disappeared. That would be like losing your understanding of what colors are just because you've been blinded. In this way, Femto is still culpable for his actions in a regular human way. Complete sociopaths from birth are capable of developing ethics. Griffith was an adult before he was turned. He knows right from wrong and chooses to do wrong for his own purposes. That's not much different from many regular humans.

Dennis

Banned
So Berserk-GAF I am almost done with the manga so I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the three anime films that have come out recently.

Now, I know reception have been mixed but, come on, they are still worth watching, right?

JDSN

Banned
So Berserk-GAF I am almost done with the manga so I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the three anime films that have come out recently.

Now, I know reception have been mixed but, come on, they are still worth watching, right?

My standards for watching adaptations is quite low and I still lost interest halfway through the second one. Im nto saying its bad, its just a thing that exists.

Alric

Yes, I do think they are. The first two you could definitely tell they were still working with how to make the CG look like hand drawn but I think by the third for the glorious Eclipse they got it down. Also, I might be in the minority here but I really liked the english dub.
Honestly, watch for yourself. If anything you'll have wasted a few hours of your day or you'd of enjoyed the time you spent.

PolishQ

I'm no Berserk expert but I enjoyed the first two films despite the bad CG. Thankfully, most of the important character moments are hand drawn (and beautifully done). And even the bad CG action scenes are edited and choreographed well. But that CG is pretty bad.

Thankfully, most of the important character moments are hand drawn (and beautifully done).

You mean most of the important character moments are skipped over.

No Bonfire of Dreams, no stupid morning showering,
no Griffith manprostitution
no Zodd throwing his sword to help Guts
and many others I'm forgetting.

The movies are worth a watch for a Berserk fan simply because it's more Berserk and some of it is kind of okay. If you're short on time I'd recommend just watching the third movie as it's the only good one.

Nibel

Just arrived at the part after he receives the berserker armor

iPOpCbgncRPNV.gif

iAofl73VkeqGF.gif

What a blast to read and look at, wow.

K4D4BSr.jpg

Berserk = God-tier manga

I feel pretty sure there is going to be some horrible hook in trying to restore Casca. Either she remembers what happens and still just can't deal with it or, worse, she gets all her memory back and leaves to go right back to the new Bank of the Hawk.

I feel pretty sure there is going to be some horrible hook in trying to restore Casca. Either she remembers what happens and still just can't deal with it or, worse, she gets all her memory back and leaves to go right back to the new Bank of the Hawk.

Yeah I am thinking the same way. It has been awhile since I have read the manga, but
did the skull knight mention Guts should be careful with restoring Casca?

Alric

Yeah I am thinking the same way. It has been awhile since I have read the manga, but
did the skull knight mention Guts should be careful with restoring Casca?

The Skull Knight basically said
you can save caska or defeat griffith but not both.

Haunted

Has the last translated manga chapter really come out in January?

Miura you Idolmaster-obsessed piece of shit. This is going to be a George R.R. Martin kind of wait, with the constant fear that the author dies before he can complete his work, isn't it? ;_;

I've been reduced to reading Kingdom to fill my gritty manga needs. (It's closest to the medieval military setting and political intrigue of the Golden Age Arc).

cyborg009

Banned
Just arrived at the part after he receives the berserker armor

http://i.minus.com/iPOpCbgncRPNV.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iAofl73VkeqGF.gif[IMG]

[B]What a blast to read and look at, wow.[/B]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K4D4BSr.jpg

Berserk = God-tier manga

Wait until you get to the climax. Then boat rides....

Also great gif.

Hell yeah, my volume 37 shipped today.

Can't wait to read some new Berserk.

Do you read the chapters as they come out or wait for the full volumes?

Even though the release schedule is pretty slow, I love this series because the art is so detailed, and there's very little, if any of the page left blank.

Finally got volume 15 because amazon got it back in stock. Now to patiently wait for 16... :(

I got into the manga around the time volume 11 came out in English. When I heard the manga continued on after the infuriating anime ending, I was sold. I've bought every volume since.

Do you read the chapters as they come out or wait for the full volumes?

I haven't read any of the chapters in volume 37. As the story isn't really at a point where I feel the need to read stuff as fast as I can before getting spoiled I thought it'd be cool to just wait for the full volume.

Riposte

You mean most of the important character moments are skipped over.

No Bonfire of Dreams, no stupid morning showering,
no Griffith manprostitution
no Zodd throwing his sword to help Guts
and many others I'm forgetting.

The movies are worth a watch for a Berserk fan simply because it's more Berserk and some of it is kind of okay. If you're short on time I'd recommend just watching the third movie as it's the only good one.

Wow, worse than I heard. Why they got to sell it short? Mannnn....

MANNNNNNN!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Would love to see the Conviction Arc animated, will even take those shitty OVAs. The Spanish Inquisition imagery was superb, and the villains were awesome.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
can some one explain how
zodd lost his horn
? it really didn't make sense when I read it.

Jarate

Banned
I'm reading the current One Piece chapter

And boy, Berserk's art completely spoiled me

I mean, those are two different styles of art.

But yeah, Berserk's art is probably the best in any comic, west or east, I've ever seen. The newer chapters have so much detail, that it just absolutely astounds me

I don't even know what to set my hopes for. Is it going to be glorious art with a mediocre story? Is it going to be an amazing story with mediocre art so he can be done with it?
Will it exceed Berserk in every way?

Will read and probably will buy as well, if given the chance. I just want it, ASAP

TokiDoki

I don't even know what to set my hopes for. Is it going to be glorious art with a mediocre story? Is it going to be an amazing story with mediocre art so he can be done with it?
Will it exceed Berserk in every way?

Will read and probably will buy as well, if given the chance. I just want it, ASAP

I prefer the latter , though Berserk is in full glory in early part where the story is amazing while having decent art .

ReRixo

Banned
Why is there no TV adaption of Berserk? I know there's the old series which covers a little of the story, but I don't understand how there isn't more. Releasing a couple of movies just isn't the same. Is there not enough demand? I saw the TV series a few years ago and loved it, but I want more :/ Reading a thousand chapters or whatever it is just seems too much

TokiDoki

Why is there no TV adaption of Berserk? I know there's the old series which covers a little of the story, but I don't understand how there isn't more. Releasing a couple of movies just isn't the same. Is there not enough demand? I saw the TV series a few years ago and loved it, but I want more :/ Reading a thousand chapters or whatever it is just seems too much

Probably due to the violence and graphics nature of the manga , that they thought it will not do the manga justice if its for TV audience ? However Attack of Titan worked though so hmmmm ..

ISOM

Berserk is based on european culture so unless someone at hbo really loves berserk, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

PirateKing

Probably due to the violence and graphics nature of the manga , that they thought it will not do the manga justice if its for TV audience ? However Attack of Titan worked though so hmmmm ..

It's gonna be really weird if they want to animate the
rape scene at the Eclipse event. Especially when that whole scene is supposed to be a point where the audience hate Griffith.

UrbanRats

Berserk is based on european culture so unless someone at hbo really loves berserk, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

All the fucking, raping and general violence is probably even past HBO.

I was already surprised, years back, to know that they had an Anime.

RedSwirl

The Skull Knight basically said
you can save caska or defeat griffith but not both.

I don't remember him saying that.

Hell yeah, my volume 37 shipped today.

Can't wait to read some new Berserk.

Oh wow. This hiatus has lasted long enough for the official English edition to catch up to the Japanese release? Damn. I wonder if they'll keep this up with an online chapter-by-chapter thing or something.

Golden Age is probably the only part of the manga tame enough for a TV series. Even back when they were doing the series Miura said if they ever continued further it would have to be OVA.

The TV series covers most of volumes 3 to 13 and some bits from volumes 1 and 14. There are 37 volumes at the moment.

Even then, the OVA left out a good chunk of stuff. So in a way, the manga has like a little more than four times the content as the OVA.

edit - I'm sorry you're right. I meant series.

Top Bottom