• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

TnK

Really, really late reply.
Gutts joining Griffith? Damn man that would be a cold day in hell if that ever happens again. Like the only way I can see this happening is that somehow Caska's life is in danger and Gutts need some help to get her back/save her and he forms a temporary alliance with Griffith (sort of like what he did with Zodd to take on a much more powerful foe).

Even in this scenario I can't imagine any point in time where Gutts doesn't want to end Griffith. Maybe the best ending ever is Gutts forgiving Griffith and not be possessed by his rage/quest for vengeance however this is still very unlikely.
Well, this is all conjecture, knowing Griffith's ambition, he could be keeping an eye on the Idea of Evil and the God Hand? Don't know.
Is the Idea of Evil cannon? It is never mentioned later on in the story.
I feel pretty sure there is going to be some horrible hook in trying to restore Casca. Either she remembers what happens and still just can't deal with it or, worse, she gets all her memory back and leaves to go right back to the new Bank of the Hawk.
You know, the later sounds very logical, and as much as it would destroy Guts as a character, it would be a twisted awesome development.

Nibel

Do what the sane fans do and ignore it for years at a time!

Is it really that bad? I mean the last chapters have been so exciting,
especially seeing the rise of Falconia and Griffith's new world order, demons living alongside humans - I don't know how the hell Guts should deal with that

Vito

Banned
Is there any legal way to get the manga digitally?

Dark Horse has the rights for the manga in the US, so you might want to check with them what the status is with bringing it over in digital as well, a quick check shows they didn't have the rights for digital last year

Mumei

Is it really that bad? I mean the last chapters have been so exciting,
especially seeing the rise of Falconia and Griffith's new world order, demons living alongside humans - I don't know how the hell Guts should deal with that

It really is that bad. When I first read Berserk, the American releases were around Volume 14 or 15, and online you could find around through Volume 29. This was around 2005 or 2006, I think. I kept up with it for a little bit, but got tired of the wait and ignored it.

In 2010 I bought Volumes 19 - 33; 33 was released January 2010.

Volume 34 was released September 2010; October 2009 in Japan. Volume 35 was released September 2011; September 2010 in Japan. Volume 36 was released September 2012; September 2011 in Japan. Volume 37 was released November 2013; March 2013 in Japan.

The releases in the United States are now caught up with Japan. We have been waiting for something like a year and a half for the newest chapter; at this rate it could be years before we see another volume's worth of material.

Nibel

It really is that bad. When I first read Berserk, the American releases were around Volume 14 or 15, and online you could find around through Volume 29. This was around 2005 or 2006, I think. I kept up with it for a little bit, but got tired of the wait and ignored it.

Volume 34 was released September 2010; October 2009 in Japan. Volume 35 was released September 2011; September 2010 in Japan. Volume 36 was released September 2012; September 2011 in Japan. Volume 37 was released November 2013; March 2013 in Japan.

The releases in the United States are now caught up with Japan. We have been waiting for something like a year and a half for the newest chapter; at this rate it could be years before we see another volume's worth of material.

This is even more terrifying to read than seeing the eclipse :lol

I mean what takes them so long? I know and even said in this thread that the art of Berserk is groundbreaking and maybe that's why it takes some time to do these as well - but this can't be the reason to delay that stuff so much

Is he unsure how to continue the plot? And how old is he already? Is this a George R.R. Martin scenario where people have to care for his health?

I don't want to believe that he just enjoys himself on a pile of money playing idol master :lol

Dresden

This is even more terrifying to read than seeing the eclipse :lol

I mean what takes them so long? I know and even said in this thread that the art of Berserk is groundbreaking and maybe that's why it takes some time to do these as well - but this can't be the reason to delay that stuff so much

Is he unsure how to continue the plot? And how old is he already? Is this a George R.R. Martin scenario where people have to care for his health?

I don't want to believe that he just enjoys himself on a pile of money playing idol master :lol

He's worked on it for 25 years at this point, and he's nearly fifty years old. He's spent half his life on the project. Doubt he has much passion left for it.

Maybe that one volume story he's doing will rejuvenate him, who knows.

Nibel

He's worked on it for 25 years at this point, and he's nearly fifty years old. He's spent half his life on the project. Doubt he has much passion left for it.

I didn't see it from that perspective.. man, the urge of finishing the story versus wanting to do something else must be shitty to handle, especially after such a long time and considering the amount of pressure he must get from fans etc. :/

Berserk is pure gold, I hope for the best for him

UrbanRats

Jesus Christ.
That puts it in perspective.

I can't believe i started reading Berserk almost 14 years ago myself.
The TV series first aired in 2001 here, and i was already reading the Manga for a couple of years by then.
I must've been around 12 or so.

J2d

I didn't really enjoy the last I read of the manga so this slow pace doesn't really bother me that much. I do wish that they made more in the style of the original anime, I actually overall like that more than the parts of the manga except skipping skull knight.

Mumei

That is true. I'd like to think that he still has an interest in what amounts to his life's work, but I could understand feeling burnout working on the same project for that long. Perhaps a change will do him good.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think it's unfair to say he doesn't have passion for it. People like to say a lot of shit just because he doesn't talk much. If he didn't have passion for it his work wouldn't continue to improve and look as beautiful as it does now and he would have finished the manga years ago. He was a younger guy back then with a lot to prove and his art (while still pretty back then) was not at the level of detail that it's at now. So I'd argue those are two reasons. He probably feels comfortable at the pace he's going in now knowing the fans will be there.

wonzo

Banned
gigantomakhia1.png

The shackles of iDOLM@STER… BROKEN!

TnK

Do what the sane fans do and ignore it for years at a time!
Pretty much this. Last time I read an actual volume was in 2006, been waiting ever since. I did spoil myself here and there though, by reading his battle with
the giant whale and all.

That, and the nature of the series is really dark, no matter who the person is, it takes its toll at times, and could cause depression. Although he did mentiom that he was planning on making berserk extra long like Guinn Saga. I myself was really happy when I found out that he reached 70% of the manga. I just wish he would end it sometime soon.

Kenka

Reminds me that I first started to read Berserk in 1994. We are still not done. What a curious planning.

Alric

So excited, me and my fiance are hopefully rescuing a 8 month female husky and want to name her Casca.

Is there any word if they are looking to continue producing Berserk anime?

First chapter of Gigantomakhia was pretty cool. Excited for the next one. I wonder if Dark Horse will release the whole thing over here when it's done. Or a year after it's done, you know.

Also my Volume 37 of Berserk arrived. I'll need to re-read a bit of stuff to remember what was happening before I get to that.

TnK

Reminds me that I first started to read Berserk in 1994. We are still not done. What a curious planning.

I always wanted to ask this: How did anyone that started from almost 20 years ago feel about the pacing of berserk?

Jinroh

I don't know about Berserk, but if you ask me the same question about Bastard!!, the answer is that I feel like screaming and cursing at Hagiwara. In four years it will turn 30...

Dresden

Gigantomakhia is cool. I like how fantastic and weird it is, and Delos, the hero of the story, being a brawny wrestler type is nice too. There's some creepiness in the first two pages with the little girl (goddamn it Miura), but it quickly moves on past that.

Love the designs, love the art.

TnK

Gigantomakhia oozes of old school 70s-80s anime. Stuff like character design, scenario, and general setting. Felt nostalgic when going through it (grew up on 70s-80s anime). It is amazing. Is it only 6 chapters long? Kind of short for the story he wants to tell.

The plan was for the new movies to go beyond the Golden Age arc but we haven't heard anything of a fourth movie yet so I'm just guessing it's a dead project until they say otherwise.

It's a shame, because everything post-Eclipse in the third movie had me so hyped.

Facism

Gigantomakhia is cool. I like how fantastic and weird it is, and Delos, the hero of the story, being a brawny wrestler type is nice too. There's some creepiness in the first two pages with the little girl (goddamn it Miura), but it quickly moves on past that.

the offer of a golden shower D: D:

I love and dread this thread.

Love it because Berserk is awesome.

Dread it because it reminds me that we are still in hiatus. Not only that. When the series goes back in rotation, it will be a good while when something significant happen AKA getting off the boat.

Mael

I don't know about Berserk, but if you ask me the same question about Bastard!!, the answer is that I feel like screaming and cursing at Hagiwara. In four years it will turn 30...

The pain is easier to bear since Hagiwara totally shat the bet after the final Anthrax battle....

Nibel

Man, just looked at various pages from vol. 34 again, probably for the 100th time now :lol (That's the volume that shows the introduction of "Fantasia")

I think this specific volume - the last pages in particular - could be one of the best drawn works I've ever seen in my entire life; just glancing at it fills me with so much inspiration and joy to draw something myself. The amount of creativity is just beyond almost anything I know

EWmof.gif

I know, right? It was the spreads in 34 that made me realize that I absolutely must have this in physical form.
Some of the images there evoke the feeling of the Estonian epic "Kalevipoeg." A Japanese work, doing that? Crazy.

cyborg009

Banned

I noticed that too. Anyways scans of Gigantomakhia chp 2 are out.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The plan was for the new movies to go beyond the Golden Age arc but we haven't heard anything of a fourth movie yet so I'm just guessing it's a dead project until they say otherwise.

It's a shame, because everything post-Eclipse in the third movie had me so hyped.

I really want tower of conviction arc animated (even with shitty cgi), needs susumu hirasawa music though.

Kieli

$7.5 per volume of Berserk is ridiculously cheap. If only I hadn't already mega-splurged on manga a few weeks ago...

Veelk

Banned
Yeah man, pure art!

tbogFR1.jpg

I looked up Hieronymus Bosch who obviously inspired Miuara, but man; that dude has a good taste, the Bosch'esque aesthetic fits perfectly into Berserk

I still have no idea how anyone can make any sense, symbolic or otherwise, of this visual gibberish.

Damn, you all are making a better job of keeping this thread up than I thought would be possible.

So no new news on more anime movies? I know when they first leaked images they had puck in it, so its obviously after the timeframe in the movies, it could be a test reel but I haven't give up hope yet. Its a shame because I like the black swordsman arc the best, and I think that could hook in a lot of new fans. The golden arc is great but I feel that the magna really takes off after that.

Decado

Anyone know if they are going to release the film trilogy in a set? Trying to decide whether to start buying them now or to wait.

That's manga for you. Had that been an American publication here like the big 2, they probably would have passed it onto a different writer by now. Kind of weird how the creator controls pretty much 100% of their works..

wait what?

Top Bottom