• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

ISOM

Well tastes differ I guess, I find One Piece to be very generic and heavily borrows every Shonen manga clichee done before imho. Not really comparable to masterpieces like Berserk, Akira, Blade of the Immortal, 20th Century Boys etc,...

agreed and I really like one piece too. I'd say the first half of one piece though is just a little tier below those mangas you listed. It's, really good, fun and dramatic.

Nibel

Also if your thirst for more berserk is too intense go check out his other works. Like the recent Gigantomakhia and king of wolves.

I've read the first 4 chapters of Gigantomakhia and think it rocks; kind of reminds me of Attack On Titan, but not sure if Miura has seen it or how old Gigantomakhia is

Will check out King Of Wolves, thanks!

What. One Piece is a very generic series churned out on a weekly conveyor belt and it shows. Please read way more manga.

'Generic' is the last word I would use to describe One Piece. Sure, you find your usual shonen tropes, but the world design is incredible and every character oozes creativity and uniqueness from their names to their looks - love based One Piece

Vito

Banned
After Gigantomakhia ends, which I believe has one chapter left.

What. One Piece is a very generic series churned out on a weekly conveyor belt and it shows. Please read way more manga.

Well tastes differ I guess, I find One Piece to be very generic and heavily borrows every Shonen manga clichee done before imho. Not really comparable to masterpieces like Berserk, Akira, Blade of the Immortal, 20th Century Boys etc,...

That's your list of masterpieces? For someone that tells others to read more manga that list is pretty generic.

Yonafunu

True, but it does so extremely well, better than any other 'traditional' shounen (except Hunter X Hunter, but it's debatable whether that's a 'traditional' shounen), imo. This coupled with great worldbuilding, appealing characters, and the amazing consistency of quality, it's a pretty damn good series.

Finished vol 10. This flashback is long. Expected this to be a quick thing that explains a bit of background , but no this is seemingly just telling me literally everything that happened in the past.

Also afraid of the horrors that supposedly await in #13

Nibel

Finished vol 10. This flashback is long. Expected this to be a quick thing that explains a bit of background , but no this is seemingly just telling me literally everything that happened in the past.

Also afraid of the horrors that supposedly await in #13

The flashback is essential to the story since there is a ton of character progression and lots of things to learn about the world of Berserk, but yeah - there'll be a certain event that will turn the world of Berserk upside down, enjoy the ride man

Raphael

Guys are the 3 golden arc movies self-contained or they just end abruptly in some mid event? I want to check out what the fuss is about but I don't have the time nor means for the manga, and I heard the anime's ending was really bad.

Guys are the 3 golden arc movies self-contained or they just end abruptly in some mid event? I want to check out what the fuss is about but I don't have the time nor means for the manga, and I heard the anime's ending was really bad.

The anime's ending is not exactly bad. I suggest you watch the anime and then the third movie, which expands on the ending.

That's if you really can't read the manga, which is amazing.

Love Berserk, but I can't defend the way it has been handled in terms of flow of content. Too much time has passed for the amount of content that exists, and it's about time the fans are rewarded with a final arc that has an end in sight. The guy could die tomorrow, and the fans would've waited 25 years for nothing.

I know it's an harsh perspective, and the plan all along was to make it last, but it warranted a more committed approach to the fans.

Raphael

The anime's ending is not exactly bad. I suggest you watch the anime and then the third movie, which expands on the ending.

That's if you really can't read the manga, which is amazing.

Yeah, mostly I want to check this out, as I always watch stuff with my gf and I heard good things about this, so I thought we could see what's the fuss is about. So anime + 3rd movie You say would be better? Do I understand this right that the anime is just the story of the first 2 movies but more rich in side stories and similar?

If I like the premise I guess I could then work something out with the manga.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Is the gore decently composed in the animation or is it over the top? I don't dislike gore (and I know this isn't MLP) I just don't really like gore fests, where some scenes are just there to gross out and nothing more. For reference I thought Attack on titan was mild and could have been better with more gore.

Yeah, mostly I want to check this out, as I always watch stuff with my gf and I heard good things about this, so I thought we could see what's the fuss is about. So anime + 3rd movie You say would be better? Do I understand this right that the anime is just the story of the first 2 movies but more rich in side stories and similar?

If I like the premise I guess I could then work something out with the manga.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Is the gore decently composed in the animation or is it over the top? I don't dislike gore (and I know this isn't MLP) I just don't really like gore fests, where some scenes are just there to gross out and nothing more. For reference I thought Attack on titan was mild and could have been better with more gore.

The anime and the three movies cover the same story, but the movie cuts a lot of important and iconic moments. Also, the following is just my opinion but seems to be largely agreed upon by the fanbase - the character designs and the soundtrack in the movies is bad and it also suffers from egregious use of just awful 3D. Also the casting of the old anime is miles ahead of the new one.

The only negative I would point out for the anime is the strange ending, but it is still extremely powerful and memorable. The third movie does the ending a bit better and longer, but it's just like the last half hour that you'd be interested in.

About the gore - going by what you said I don't think you have anything to worry about. Berserk doesn't really use gore to be cool or anything, at least not in the arc you'd be watching.

LogicStep

I started reading this a few days ago and I'm pretty hooked on it. Right now I'm still early on,
Gatsu just came back after leaving the band and just rescued Casca
. What I want to know is, should I bother watching the anime? And what about the movies, how much do they cover? Am I already past the material that the movies cover? But yeah, this manga is the fucking shit. So violent and explicit and badass all at the same time.

LaneDS

Yes, watch the anime. It only covers one of the arcs from the manga, but it's very good and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

I agree with that. I'd also add the movies are worth a watch once you've read or seen (or both) the series before, as there are some things I think the movie does a better job of despite leaving some bits out. Aside from the weird 3D animation which will always be at least a little janky to me, I think they're pretty good.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Halle - fucking - lujah

*boat ride*

04-26-01.jpg

Mumei

I've almost caught up on my purchases; I just bought 35 and 36 last week. I'll get excited when he releases three chapters within three months of each other, and not a moment sooner.

at which time he will go on hiatus

Yonafunu

Now that the initial excitement is gone, I wonder how long it'll take for the reality to settle back in...

edit: Well there you go

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I was just about to say if this thread had been bumped without new news that I was gonna flip my shit.

the struggle is over !!!

edit: well it's over for the short term at least

Nibel

I think it might have took a long time because of the planning; we are in the final stages of the manga, everything needs to be tied together. So I don't think that the resolution will be that far off

I hope

I think it might have took a long time because of the planning; we are in the final stages of the manga, everything needs to be tied together. So I don't think that the resolution will be that far off

I hope

I can't remember at what point of the manga this was said, but the creator said it was around 70% done at the time.

SIRF

Strange, I watched all those and like them all but think One Piece is the best of the pack, even though Berserk comes in close second. How far into one piece did you go? I mean it's probably just not your taste but I've also had experience of people not sticking with one piece long enough to get into the story.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Or heck, how about an actual new tv series starting from the beginning and try to be faithful to the manga this time.

Much as I love the Golden Age, going through it a third time in animated form would be too much.

There's so much more to Berserk's story that deserves a chance to be seen animated.

Popnbake

I hope

Can't wait to see the inside details for griffith's falconia.

Must have taken awhile to develop given how much importance was put into it being the new capital of the world.

Top Bottom