• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh wow instocktrades has great packaging. Barnes and Nobles could learn a thing or two. Everything is mint.

Does Barnes and Noble even carry the series anymore? I know they don't in stores. I used to go to Borders for that very reason lol

Rowena

Neo Member
I have completed a second full set of Berserk. Was going to throw up on eBay but was going to check if anyone here wants to take it. It's all the old spines. Some of the books have their plastic off (maybe 7 our of the 37 books) to check condition. If interested I'll send pics. PM me and we can talk price. Not looking to make a dollar but to help out anyone that wants a complete set. I helped another gaffer complete his collection.

Grudy

A bunch of Berserk volumes that were hard to get before have been restocked on http://www.bookdepository.com/

Particularly volumes 12, 14, 15, 16 and 18. I'm not sure if they are new or old spines though, which makes me hesitant to order.

I'm now fully caught up with Berserk too, yay! Can't wait to dive back into the eclipse again in 2017.

HStallion

A bunch of Berserk volumes that were hard to get before have been restocked on http://www.bookdepository.com/

Particularly volumes 12, 14, 15, 16 and 18. I'm not sure if they are new or old spines though, which makes me hesitant to order.

I'm now fully caught up with Berserk too, yay! Can't wait to dive back into the eclipse again in 2017.

Here's hoping that Miura starts back up in like January instead of March. Seems like his pattern has been to do about six months on and six months off or at least its been like that the last couple of times he's come of hiatus.

Grudy

Here's hoping that Miura starts back up in like January instead of March. Seems like his pattern has been to do about six months on and six months off or at least its been like that the last couple of times he's come of hiatus.

Ok since I'm fresh into the hiatus thing, I really gotta ask. What the heck is the man doing during all this time off?

Erigu

Here's hoping that Miura starts back up in like January instead of March.
I imagine they'd want the serialization to overlap with the airing of the TV series, like last time. Just not sure they'll actually manage (not to mention we've reached a part of the story that Miura really has to nail).

Ok since I'm fresh into the hiatus thing, I really gotta ask. What the heck is the man doing during all this time off?
miura.jpg

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
:l

I thought it was a joke. I actually never looked up what Idolmaster was until I started reading Berserk.

It is kinda. It just got overblown as some website mistranslated/exaggerated that he'd spend so much time on idolmaster etc. that it turned into a meme. The main point was that he had a casual interview with a friend where he talked about trivial stuff like games and he said that he bought an x360 to play idolmaster which he liked and that's it.

/E/: the website that started all this is sankaku complex, which is not a site you want to get news from (unless you want eroge/hentai stuff.), i.e. they also reported that the berserk anime (movies) would be a live action movie ;)

Anyone who's interested can read more about it on the skullknight forum.

Grudy

It is kinda. It just got overblown as some website mistranslated/exaggerated that he'd spend so much time on idolmaster etc. that it turned into a meme. The main point was that he had a casual interview with a friend where he talked about trivial stuff like games and he said that he bought an x360 to play idolmaster which he liked and that's it.

Anyone who's interested can read more about it on the skullknight forum.

That's a very insightful post, and quite old actually :eek: Seems like a strong meme if it survived since 2009 :p

Never knew about this forum either, think I might start checking it out.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
That's a very insightful post, and quite old actually :eek: Seems like a strong meme if it survived since 2009 :p

Never knew about this forum either, think I might start checking it out.

If you want to get into a community that's only about berserk, that's THE forum you want to go to.

So, I watched the Golden Age films a couple years back and I'm finally ready to get into this series. Should I still read through the golden age material or should I just skip that and pick up where the movies left off?

HStallion

So, I watched the Golden Age films a couple years back and I'm finally ready to get into this series. Should I still read through the golden age material or should I just skip that and pick up where the movies left off?

Read from the beginning as every adaptation so far has cut out major chunks including entire characters and events.

HStallion

Do the early parts have crazy monsters like I've seen from presumably stuff from later in the series? Or is it relatively tame early on?

The first arc takes place before the Golden Age flash back happens and has never been adapted in full.

HStallion

So, no crazy monsters or demons?

Well I don't want to say too much but when I meant it takes before the Golden Age was that it takes before the story flashes back in time to the events of Guts past. So its chronologically after the end of the Golden Age aka the Black Swordsman territory. You'll get stuff like this fairly often:

Well I don't want to say too much but when I meant it takes before the Golden Age was that it takes before the story flashes back in time to the events of Guts past. So its chronologically after the end of the Golden Age aka the Black Swordsman territory. You'll get stuff like this fairly often:

Well that's exciting and moderately disturbing.
I wish i was a quarter as creative as Miura

Einhander

Are all of the volumes available to purchase digitally?

I'd rather not have a ton of physical manga volumes. I want to buy a tablet to read manga on.

On that note, I noticed that the 8" Fire HD is going for $70. Is that suitable for reading manga? If not, what is the best size screen and make/model?

HStallion

Are all of the volumes available to purchase digitally?

I'd rather not have a ton of physical manga volumes. I want to buy a tablet to read manga on.

On that note, I noticed that the 8" Fire HD is going for $70. Is that suitable for reading manga? If not, what is the best size screen and make/model?

There is no English digital release. There are only the physical copies from Dark Horse.

Capra

Alright, so actually that brings up something I've been meaning to discuss since I started reading:

We can all agree that the opening pages of the Black Swordsman arc (and thus, the entire series) are a terrible introduction to Berserk, right?

It's cheap and the dialogue is really cringy, and it contradicts Guts' characterization as defined by certain events in the Golden Age flashback. It just comes across as juvenile and to people who started with the manga proper instead of the 1997 anime or Golden Age films I feel like it would leave a terrible first impression for a series that would come to be defined by its moral complexity and emotional nuance.

MjFrancis

I'd agree that the first few pages in the manga are a poor introduction to the series. Guts acts like an 80's action movie antihero. Thinking of it like that it doesn't seem far fetched that Snake Plisskin would be an inspiration for this early incarnation of Guts.

It's definitely a different enough characterization that it doesn't bother me that some fans don't consider it to be canon. There's no way Miura had the Golden Age arc fully fleshed out when he made those first few panels of the manga.

HStallion

Miura hadn't finalized his ideas for the series when it first started releasing. I will say the very first act we see Guts involved in doesn't go against his characterization despite what a lot of people want to say. At that point in his life he was willing to do ANYTHING to get revenge and kill as many apostles at all costs. His mental state was in the darkest of places when this was all going down and was almost a totally different person than he was in the Golden Age.

Miura hadn't finalized his ideas for the series when it first started releasing. I will say the very first act we see Guts involved in doesn't go against his characterization despite what a lot of people want to say. At that point in his life he was willing to do ANYTHING to get revenge and kill as many apostles at all costs. His mental state was in the darkest of places when this was all going down and was almost a totally different person than he was in the Golden Age.
Guts taking pleasure in abusing Vargas always seemed out of character for me. Guts was never an asshole to anyone who didn't deserve it.

HStallion

Guts taking pleasure in abusing Vargas always seemed out of character for me. Guts was never an asshole to anyone who didn't deserve it.

Guts does a metric fuckton of evil shit as the Black Swordsman. He didn't develop the Beast because he was just an anti hero or a guy with a chip on his shoulder. He was a bad bad person.

What about all those soldiers he killed like Farnese's men?
*Unless they're in his way

Guts does a metric fuckton of evil shit as the Black Swordsman. He didn't develop the Beast because he was just an anti hero or a guy with a chip on his shoulder. He was a bad bad person.
He was evil in the sense that he disregarded morals when pursuing his goals. Apart from that scene with Vargas in the beginning I don't remember anywhere else in the series Guts takes pleasure in simply being an asshole.

HStallion

*Unless they're in his way

He was evil in the sense that he disregarded morals when pursuing his goals. Apart from that scene with Vargas in the beginning I don't remember anywhere else in the series Guts takes pleasure in simply being an asshole.

As said above the Lost Children arc is full of Guts being a complete shitty person. Also he has his reasons but he still kills a lot of people just to get at the Apostles that happen to be in his way. He wouldn't have issues with the Beast if he was just doing some mildly bad shit before returning to a more righteous path. Guts was a terrible person as the Blacks Swordsman.

Alright, so actually that brings up something I've been meaning to discuss since I started reading:

We can all agree that the opening pages of the Black Swordsman arc (and thus, the entire series) are a terrible introduction to Berserk, right?

It's cheap and the dialogue is really cringy, and it contradicts Guts' characterization as defined by certain events in the Golden Age flashback. It just comes across as juvenile and to people who started with the manga proper instead of the 1997 anime or Golden Age films I feel like it would leave a terrible first impression for a series that would come to be defined by its moral complexity and emotional nuance.

I've mentioned it before, but I bought the first book almost a decade ago and abandoned the series after reading it, thinking it would be over thirty volumes of that. I'm so glad I gave it a chance with the anime years later.

Where is volume 38?!

Miura was kinda young when he started Berserk. It's perfectly normal it was a bit juvenile and then he matured to something entirely different. He acknowledges that it would be impossible to just keep doing a manga about a badass dude killing demons. That's why the Golden Age exists.

But I don't think it's a terrible first impression nor it contradicts that much how Guts is definied in the future. The first volumes are basically an action story with horror elements and some interesting nuances between Gut's nihilism and the Count's "humanity".

Moonkid

Miura was kinda young when he started Berserk. It's perfectly normal it was a bit juvenile and then he matured to something entirely different. He acknowledges that it would be impossible to just keep doing a manga about a badass dude killing demons. That's why the Golden Age exists.

But I don't think it's a terrible first impression nor it contradicts that much how Guts is definied in the future. The first volumes are basically an action story with horror elements and some interesting nuances between Gut's nihilism and the Count's "humanity".
I wouldn't love Berserk as much as I do if it didn't continuously evolve and eventually turn into the JRPG party it is right now. His character progression and what's he been through just feels epic for lack of a better word. I think it's an alright introduction too and I can accept both that it contradicts his intense dislike of touching and that it's the lowest of low points hence it's in line with his character. Both interpretations are sound to me.

Top Bottom