• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
God damnit. Well, the first 10 so far have been great, it just sucks that I know the major story beats and where it ends. But hopefully in a couple days I'll be able to make it to where Guts gets the cool armor.

If you're talking about the armor I think you are you have a really long way to go lol.

God damnit. Well, the first 10 so far have been great, it just sucks that I know the major story beats and where it ends. But hopefully in a couple days I'll be able to make it to where Guts gets the cool armor.
When Guts gets that it's when he really needs that shit. You can't just tank hits from later chapter monsters.

Fuck. Well honestly, I'm really enjoying the series as is but honestly that armor has always been the most alluring part of this series for me and what captivated me most about it.

Trust me when I say that you'll find other reasons. It's actually got a pretty good narrative and even develops it's own sort of sense of humor. Mid to late stage Berserk is actually the best Berserk because it's stops being about rage and angst and other shit and actually starts to grow its characters.

Moonkid

Trust me when I say that you'll find other reasons. It's actually got a pretty good narrative and even develops it's own sort of sense of humor. Mid to late stage Berserk is actually the best Berserk because it's stops being about rage and angst and other shit and actually starts to grow its characters.
Preaaaaaach.

Well yeah, like I said, I'm really enjoying it for what it is, it's characters and art especially. I'm not really sure what I expected but despite it being so dark and fantastical there's a certain level of personal intimacy to it between the reader and Guts and I really appreciate that, especially since he's a character that's gone through so many hardships that have shaped him in such a cruel way. But despite this he still feels incredibly relatable and still human, I can relate to his internalized frustration and outward coldness and I don't mean that in an "I'm so lonely, Avenged sevenfold is my favorite band!" Kind of way, but it's nice to be able to relate to a protagonist that's more shaped by the negative sides of human emotions rather than the typical generally happy shonen protagonist.

Depending on what you know about already Guts' journey post Golden Age really shapes him for the better in my opinion and watching him go through that change is great. It's a change I swear he initially fights as well.

I know fuck all about Berserk outside of that armor, what was shown in the golden age films, what I've read so far and some pretty frames that people have posted here
And that Souls games are heavily inspired by it which also sparked my interest.
I'm highly likely to get Bloodborne runes tattood under my collarbone and after starting to get into this series, I think getting the brand tattoo'd too would compliment that nicely, not just artistically but also considering the influence one had on the other.

As long as you don't taint the up coming content by watching the 2016 "anime" then you're in for a fun journey. I might just buy the books when I reread it though myself. I read it as a Souls fan first and it was a lot of fun seeing what came from Berserk...which is damn near everything. And the pre Eclipse stuff is a lot different in the manga. Pre Eclipse in the manga is best pre Eclipse.

I briefly considered it before I got back into reading manga (due to Jojo) but the GAF community strongly advised against it. I was pretty close to just ignoring the series but Jojo getting me into reading manga, the rumor of Miura and Miyazaki working together and my lack of many better things to do pushed me over the edge.

But yeah now that I've got the manga, which would be the best experience anyway I feel no obligation to watch it until a good adaptation is released.

I read the manga first, then watched everything else. It's ok to watch the Golden Age movies and the 97 anime at least after reading the manga, but that's just me. You must read the manga for pure unfiltered Berserk first and you watch the other shit on the side for fun. A David Pro has never really touched Berserk in terms of giving it the amount of love and faithful adaptation that it deserves.

ubique

I don't know if it's fair to say there's a "best Berserk". It turned into something very different, and I presume will keep changing. Some things in early volumes that appeal to certain sensibilities are absent in later ones, and vice versa

Which is really unfortunate because it definitely deserves a stellar anime, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

I'm probably alone in this, but I find the 1997 anime adaptation really good if you ignore some unexplainable liberties they take with the source material. I watch some episodes pretty often, it's very atmospheric

Two questions:
How many chapters does the series have in total right now

Is there any place that sells quality or official Berserk prints or other merch? Because Miura's art is seriously gorgeous

I don't know if it's fair to say there's a "best Berserk". It turned into something very different, and I presume will keep changing. Some things in early volumes that appeal to certain sensibilities are absent in later ones, and vice versa

I'm probably alone in this, but I find the 1997 anime adaptation really good if you ignore some unexplainable liberties they take with the source material. I watch some episodes pretty often, it's very atmospheric
I guess if one is too attached to the brooding seriousness of the earlier chapters then yeah you're going to be a bit disappointed with it down the line, but I got rather used to the character development and relationships of the characters. Serpico's no Killua, but Serpico's still bro as fuck and I honestly think barring Casca Neo Band of the Hawk is way better than the original...which is even considered that? Guts' crew or Griffith's? I can never remember. Regarding the 97 anime, it's pretty damn good. It's got a great mood and art style to it. If it wasn't so "clean" blood wise I'd be all for it. It having less Demons also hurts it, but we know why it took that approach already.

HStallion

Two questions:
How many chapters does the series have in total right now

Is there any place that sells quality or official Berserk prints or other merch? Because Miura's art is seriously gorgeous

There are 347 currently released episodes of the manga and yeah they're called episodes, not chapters and its currently on hiatus but is slated to start up again in early 2017. Hopefully that mean's January instead of March.

Erigu

There are 347 currently released episodes of the manga
(don't forget that episode 83 was skipped for the volumes!)
That's just for the Young Animal serialization though. The series ran in Animal House for some time before that.

and yeah they're called episodes, not chapters
That's true of pretty much all Japanese comic series, actually. :þ
It's just a bit more important here because Berserk also has actual "chapters" / "章".

HStallion

(don't forget that episode 83 was skipped for the volumes!)
That's just for the Young Animal serialization though. The series ran in Animal House for some time before that.

That's true of pretty much all Japanese comic series, actually. :þ
It's just a bit more important here because Berserk also has actual "chapters" / "章".

Yeah I just like to make that note since calling them episodes tends to confuse people with anime.

HStallion

I was looking at Amazon and even some of their reprints (Berserk 5) are out of stock. More than half the series is out of stock.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what the issue is with Berserk staying in stock. It seems popular enough that its constantly selling out the moment reprints release and the prices on used copies of rare volumes gets pretty exorbitant. I would think the demand is there for either larger reprints or making them more common but who knows. It still baffles me there is no digital version in English.

HStallion

When does the next young animal releasimg?

Its every two weeks I believe however I'm not really expecting Berserk until like March since the last episode came out in the end of September. Who knows though maybe we'll get lucky and it will start back up in January... I hope and sacrifice for that.

turmoil

Banned
I was lucky enough to read the manga knowing nothing about later developments.
If Femto weren't revealed at the beginning the eclipse would have destroyed me lol

HStallion

I was lucky enough to read the manga knowing nothing about later developments.
If Femto weren't revealed at the beginning the eclipse would have destroyed me lol

I've always had hopes that if we ever get a proper adaptation of Berserk that they would adapt the Slug Count/Angels of Desire storyline but do it after the Golden Age and before The Lost Children Arc. Start it with the Snake Baron and then jump into the Golden Age. It keeps all the storybeats and plot lines without giving away the Eclipse as much as the manga did.

Capra

I was surprised it gave
Femto
away as early as it did. I went in knowing about the Eclipse beforehand and expecting to have to feign surprise during the Golden Age arc but nope, the instant you meet
Femto
Guts just shouts out what happened. The 1997 anime handled that more adeptly in my opinion, for all it omitted.

turmoil

Banned
I suspect that Miura was fearful of editors forcing him to transform berserk into the
bloody adventures of king griffith and his knights
didn't he reveal that at the very beginning.

But I think that he was an author with some leverage even at that point of time so I don't know.

Grudy

Spoilers ahead for those not caught up. New readers beware.

I prefer Berserk before the Falcon of the Millennium arc. Yes I loved the rage and angst, quite a lot actually :p Of course it wasn't the only reason though as the story had much better beats and didn't involve trolls. Back then it felt like characters had a bigger role in the story, with each character displaying several sides to them, most notably during the Conviction arc and the first events following its conclusion. This is especially concerning Serpico, Puck and Farnese, who I don't think have said anything meaningful for a while; and after going into the Fantasia arc it feels like more and more characters are being added to the RPG party and there's just not enough panel time for each of them. Honestly, the best part has always been the Berserker armor and Guts struggle with it and the beast of darkness. I shudder to think at what would have happened to Guts had he acquired the armor while he was rampaging around the world without his friends or Shierke as an escape.

It's not that I don't like current events, but in my opinion they hinge on whether there is a pay off with this traveling party and Guts's somber and calm state. After all, the story revolves around Guts and the events that Miura writes are shaped around exploring his character first and foremost. I do love his current personality, and wouldn't mind it lasting had he not left his biggest desire to go after Griffith hanging in the air. That's not going away no matter how much time passes or how many new party members are added, and it's the part I'm excited about most after Casca's return (soon, hopefully :( ). I keep thinking about the possibilities with the current party if Guts decides to go after Griffith again and how each would react, like Serpico standing between Guts and Farnese again. Saving Casca is a much nobler cause than going into battle for revenge, which makes this just so interesting.

Of course Casca herself will have much to say and do. And now this post has lost track as I think about all the upcoming goodness
AU7Amsc.gif

Btw has anyone seen those images of episode 348 on reddit a while back? Well they were more like rough sketches but really interesting nonetheless. Really powerful imagery there.

HStallion

Just thought I'd chime in again and say while I'm still on the golden age arc.
I'm really really loving this manga.

haha there are somethings that were never properly adapted from the Golden Age and one major character who you will know when you get to without a doubt.

HStallion

Spoilers ahead for those not caught up. New readers beware.

I prefer Berserk before the Falcon of the Millennium arc. Yes I loved the rage and angst, quite a lot actually :p Of course it wasn't the only reason though as the story had much better beats and didn't involve trolls. Back then it felt like characters had a bigger role in the story, with each character displaying several sides to them, most notably during the Conviction arc and the first events following its conclusion. This is especially concerning Serpico, Puck and Farnese, who I don't think have said anything meaningful for a while; and after going into the Fantasia arc it feels like more and more characters are being added to the RPG party and there's just not enough panel time for each of them. Honestly, the best part has always been the Berserker armor and Guts struggle with it and the beast of darkness. I shudder to think at what would have happened to Guts had he acquired the armor while he was rampaging around the world without his friends or Shierke as an escape.

It's not that I don't like current events, but in my opinion they hinge on whether there is a pay off with this traveling party and Guts's somber and calm state. After all, the story revolves around Guts and the events that Miura writes are shaped around exploring his character first and foremost. I do love his current personality, and wouldn't mind it lasting had he not left his biggest desire to go after Griffith hanging in the air. That's not going away no matter how much time passes or how many new party members are added, and it's the part I'm excited about most after Casca's return (soon, hopefully :( ). I keep thinking about the possibilities with the current party if Guts decides to go after Griffith again and how each would react, like Serpico standing between Guts and Farnese again. Saving Casca is a much nobler cause than going into battle for revenge, which makes this just so interesting.

Of course Casca herself will have much to say and do. And now this post has lost track as I think about all the upcoming goodness
AU7Amsc.gif

Btw has anyone seen those images of episode 348 on reddit a while back? Well they were more like rough sketches but really interesting nonetheless. Really powerful imagery there.

Miura is setting up the the pieces for the end game and also finally giving the audience a lot of long awaited events. The pace of things has actually been pretty crisp.

turmoil

Banned
haha there are somethings that were never properly adapted from the Golden Age and one major character who you will know when you get to without a doubt.

Which one? I only watched the 1999 anime and only remember
Puck and Zylat being cut, oh and the guy that raped Guts
Just curious about the movies.

Edit: Maybe
torture guy? I would understand the animators...

HStallion

There was a certain character who was never adapted in any of the animes and was only in the recent Musou game but none of the others.

The 97 has many some major modifications like skipping the Black Swordsman, no Puck, no Skull, no Silat or no Wyald which are major rearrangements of the narrative structure. And sometimes they reduce motivations for something instead of a more organic progression. For instance the Queen personal relationship with Julius who was assassinated and fuels her revenge (much more than some protection of the realm). Or the King's obsession with his daughter which is the primary reason for such a hard punishment of Griffith's actions. Even Gambino, i think he lacks some nuance in the 97 anime.

turmoil

Banned
I heard he was a wild guy

Ohh yes I remember now
now I am at peace with him but wasn't a fan at his reveal, the comical villainy was offsetting for the mood at the moment I felt

The 97 has many some major modifications like skipping the Black Swordsman, no Puck, no Skull, no Silat or no Wyald which are major rearrangements of the narrative structure. And sometimes they reduce motivations for something instead of a more organic progression. For instance the Queen personal relationship with Julius who was assassinated and fuels her revenge (much more than some protection of the realm). Or the King's obsession with her daughter which is the primary reason for such a hard punishment of Griffith's actions. Even Gambino, i think he lacks some nuance in the 97 anime.

Yes, but it needed three curs for all that content, hopefully someday we will get the definitive adaptation from a high profile studio with the endless budget that the manga deserves
nope

My first reread will have to come sooner than expected because I am forgetting stuff it seems.

That video is actually what pushed me over the edge into getting into the series.
I'm also watching his videos right now and he really has some great content

You aren't afraid of spoilers dontcha. They are unbearable for me.

You know, surprisingly enough, despite all the people I know that love Berserk and how popular the series is, I've yet to encounter any major spoilers.

Top Bottom