• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 3 and Worst 3 Horizon's Machines (Might contain Spoilers)

Self explanatory, pick three machines for best and three for worst. Give insight of why they are the best and worst but if you don't feel like it at least do it for the very worst of all so we can tell you how wrong you are!

Best 3:

1- Behemoth: Besides having a fantastic design, I really love their abilities but specially the sound design, that "rewind" sound they do when using their gravity powers is phenomenal.

latest

2- Sawtooth: Not a very popular choice but for hours I found them very fierce and exilarating to beat, the sound they make when they walk is very intimidating. Also, I love tigers.

latest

3- Tallneck: Incredibly majestic machine, I think with most great machines it happens that when you first saw them you have this feeling that something grand has happened, with Tallnecks it's like every time you see them especially when they are far away or you're just below them.

latest

I feel bad for not including Thunderjaws, Stormbirds, Snapmaws, Longlegs, Stalkers... so many incredible machines, but I'm sure they are already fan favourites. ;)

Worst 3

3- Scrapper: I don't hate them they just you're average enemy but without the great personality that the Watcher has, my first battle against them was pretty cool.

latest

2- Strider: They're cool at first but after you meet the Broadhead and Charger they become obsolete to me, every time I called for a mount and I got a Strider I was like "oh man, where are the horns?"

strider-small.png

1- Deathbringer: They're OK enemies but the first impression was really bland, I remember setting the area full of wires and bombs, climber a platform and when initiated the fight he was just there, nailed to the ground throwing missiles that couldn't hit me.
My second fight was much more entertaining and they kinda look cool but are very slow and not as creative like the rest of machines.

latest

Close the thread if it's not interesting enough.

Sanke__

Love stormbringers and hate glinthawks

I'd say best:
Stormbringers
Crocodile things
Rooster things

Worst:
Glinthawks
Deer things
And glinthawks

Based almost entirely on how annoying/ fun I found them to fight

Hate Glinthawks with a passion. Love fighting Bellowbacks

Why choose sawtooth when you can have a Ravager?

Edit
Love:

Thunderjaw
Ravagers
Tallnecks

Hate;
Groundbreakers
Glinthawks
Stalkers

Love stormbringers and hate glinthawks

I'd say best:
Stormbringers
Crocodile things
Rooster things

Worst:
Glinthawks
Deer things
And glinthawks

Based almost entirely on how annoying/ fun I found them to fight

I was sure people hate Glinthawks but I actually liked them, the most annoying thing about them to me is that they are all over the place but every time I fight against 4 or 5 it's a spectacle, Death From the Sky quest beginning was awesome.

The best enemies are the panther ones that turn invisible, drop bombs and have a sniper laser.

Stalkers, yeah, it's a pretty awesome designed machine.

Ravagers and Sawtooths are too similar. I could never tell them apart from a distance until it did/didn't start shooting at me.

I also think the strider, broad horn, and the elk looking ones were too similar, but that's just me.

I'd be more accepting of samey mech designs if there had been a handful more than we got in the end, but it wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

Best:
Tramplers
Behemoth
Stormbird

Worst:
Glinthawks
Rockbreakers (awesome design, but just bastards)
Can't think of a third, like the rest

What exactly do people hate so much about Glinthawks?

I believe it requires waiting for the right time to shoot them down, people might want to shoot at them right away, if they are moving from side to side it's difficult even in slow motion. The trick is to wait a couple of seconds until they're in one place.

What I hate about them personally is that they were in many side quests, or I did all the side quests that features Glinthawks back to back and got tired of fighting them.

Ferr986

Worst:
Small birds.
Deah Bringers.
Roboscorpio

Best:
Motherfucking huge bird.
Robo T-Rex.
Ravager.

EDIT: Whythefuckdidtheyaddthisshit tier:
Rockeaters-

Best

1. Stormbird: The design for the stormbird is amazing. But in addition to that, it's always an epic fight while fighting one.

2. Stalker: I wish they were more difficult to fight, but an enemy that stalks the player is awesome. I also love the design as well.

3. Tramplers: Not difficult in the slightest, but the sound that they make is incredible. I love listening to them from afar.

Too bad we never see a Metal Devil aka Titan-class Horus in action. Granted, it would complicate things story-wise but seeing one move and fight would be awesome. Maybe be like a boss battle on the scale of what you see in games like God of War.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The first time I fought a Thunderjaw it was exhilarating, I was just barely levelled enough to take one on and the fight went on for ages. Only just managed it that time, but they became way too easy later, a couple of tearblast arrows to knock it's cannon off and it was lights out.

Those Tremor-style enemies can fuck right off.

Exquisik

Here's my list. Will update with description when I have the time.

Best 3
1. Stormbird
2. Rockbreaker
3. Snapmaw

Worst 3
1. Glinthawk
2. Deathbringer
3. Lancehorn

HvySky

Glinthawks are flying pieces of garbage that need to be blinked out of existence. Stormbirds on the other hand are always an amazing encounter.

KORNdoggy

I kinda like all of them, but the 3 i like a little less would be glinthawks, stormbirds and the big chickens.

The flying ones becasue, well, they're flying. It's an annoyance. And the third because they call in extra enemies from the surrounding area. Early on i ended up fighting 2 sawteeth and 3 crabs all because one chicken screamed before i could kill it.

Memento

I loved all of them. Their designs are fucking amazing and everyone has a distinct approach to combat.

The machines are by far the best aspect of the game and I cant wait for more in the inevitable sequel. I want Dragon robots on Horizon 2, bring it on!

Best

1- Stormbird - Big fan of eagles and the Stormbird is just like a eagle

2- Watcher - Love how cute they are with all there cute animations like the roll or tail whip

3- Sawtooth - The tiger is my favorite real life animal so this machines hit right at home with me

Worst

1 - Rockbreaker - The most bastard machine there is simple,
Plus they only drop two purple mods unlike the TJaw which drops 3

2- Snapmaw - I'm still scare of the lunge attach this machine does

3- Longleg - I hate chocobos

I guess the Glinthawk hate surprises me because I actually enjoyed fighting them. Stormbird's are the only enemies that I didn't like fighting. I'd just run as fast as Aloy could any time I ran across run of those unless I was required to fight them for mission purposes.

Mashing

Love:
Thunderjaw
Stormbird
Behemoth

Hate:
Rockbreaker
Glinthawk
Ravager

Changed my mind, Rockbreaker sucks too much and fighting two corrupted rockbreakers sucked ass.

Best:
Glinthawks; they make you look badass.
Rockbreakers; so dope and so vicious.
Stormbirds; a sight to behold.

Worst:
Chargers; just rams you.
Watchers; snitches get stitches
T-rex; Too damn big for their own good.

Amazing:
Stalkers
Bellow backs
Crocs

sn00zer

I hate the hate for glint jawks. I love their general purpose og just being this unknown thing that can completely change a fight if your not careful. I hope similar disruptive enemies stay around.

Also trampler is my favorite, such a cool design and fun to fight.

It appears that a lot of people here are misinterpreting design for difficulty.

I completely agree with a logic that Striders are obsolete when you find broadheads.

Watchers become obsolete when you find red eyes.

Sawtooth become obsolete when you find ravagers.

So those three will be my least favorite designs.

My favorites would be the alligator, The Giant Beetle looking thing, and the long legs. The crab machine is a strong runner-up.

Zackat

1. Tallneck. It might be my favorite creature of any game ever. If they put a statue out of this I will buy it.

2. Snapmaw. Go Gators

3. Trampler. Had my first epic fights with these guys and a murder of Glinthawks. Great memories

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Best 3

1. Ravager
2. Thunderjaw
3. Stalker

Worst 3

1. Stormbird (unlike other big machines, it has no destroy-able weapons to turn against it)
2. Watchers
3. Grazers

Falchion

I agree that Sawtooths belong on the list but I'd also put Stalkers in there. They are the most fun to hunt because you can silently enter their area and try to scope it out to find where they are hiding or invisibly stalking around.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Liked:
Stormbirds. Loved seeing them circling off in the distance. Really fun battles.

Snapmaws. Just thought the design was cool.

Shellbacks. I thought they'd be a cake walk the first time, but then they bust out their shields and shock fields. They're not hard, but they took some added thought the first few times. And they have the added challenge of knocking off their loot and killing them before they destroy the contents.

Disliked:
Rockbreakers. Oh god I hate these. I never like burrowing enemies, and these were by far the most annoying to me.

Corruptors. They were just meh. They were kinda easy for Ungodly Machines and harbingers of the end time. At least Shellbacks were surprising for simple transports, but Corruptors... Meh.

Tallnecks: They were just there. And they were sad hints at what could have been. There aren't enough climbable enemies in gaming, and Tallnecks were basically just moving platforms rather than enemies. But each time I was climbing a Tallneck (well after the first one) I was imagining climbing a Thundermaw or Stormbird. After shooting off their weapons you climb on as they walk or fly around, looking for proper joints or mechanism to damage.

Kin5290

I love fighting Longlegs. The concussion you get when bursting their air sacs and (often times) knocking them on their asses is immensely satisfying.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Aesthetically I really like the Stormbird but I hate fighting them personally. A large number of their parts are hard to hit and don't really cripple or compromise any of its abilities. I typically start by taking out the Lightning Gun in it's chest and from there, I'll pelt it with fire arrows to cause lingering damage and ground it. Once that occurs, I tie it down and continue to pummel it with fire arrows until it dies. I just wish there were a weapon system to turn against it like most other large, combat machines ie Thunderjaw and Deathbringer.

Brine

There was one Deathbringer that you didn't have to right during one of the missions, it was next to a Corruptor IIRC. That was a great fight. Also a bunch of watchers annoying you to. Cool for not being scripted too.

sn00zer

Actually I dont think there is a worse. Even fights with creatures I didn't necessarily like become pretty damn awesome when coupled with other creatures.

I think the"least" liked creatures are generally the introductory ones because they are so basic, but you really need them to be basic to just learn the systems. That first Sawtooth fight was absolutely intense, and I remember still having to watch out for scrappers like my life depended on it.

void666

Banned
I hated rockbreakers and glinthawks. Everything else was great.

Favorites being thunderjaw, stormbird and bellowback.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 33 and really enjoying the game mostly for the visuals and the story, but I don't feel like the combat is very fair in the game once the shit hits the fan.

I feel like it requires you to do so much precision aiming to really excel at the combat and be a badass, but the systems just don't support that. Maybe I just suck, I don't know.

I find myself exploiting the terrain a lot of the time to just lob arrows at machines (usually catching them on fire first when possible and then spamming them with the hard-head arrows). Otherwise, some of the encounters just seem ridiculously unfair.

Even with 520 health, I can get two shot by some of the bigger guys. Don't even get me started on the huge beast that burrows under the ground and launches rocks at you...

Any tips for getting less bad at this game? I'm not dying a lot, but I never feel like I'm doing well at any of the encounters outside of the stealth situations, but again that's just exploiting dumb AI and the whistle mechanic.

Mojoraisin

Tallneck!

When I saw and climbed the first tallneck I got Goose Bumps. Such an epic moment. Having played games for 30 years and getting this reaction again for the first time in 5 years makes my case.

Hate Glinthawks with a passion. I just don't think they were fun fighting against.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What exactly do people hate so much about Glinthawks?

No idea. One fire arrow (maybe two before you get a good fire mod) and they went down and then you melee them and boom. Easy monster. Kind of annoying in groups I guess, but you pop an ice resist potion and you're good, usually.

Top Bottom