• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best actors and their best performances. Vote for 1 to 5 actors, there will be a count after each page

Yonyx

The male actors you enjoy watching more, either because of the charisma they radiate or the value you place on their acting quality.

Please, write down the names of the actors and not just a photo or a gif. For the vote count, I will only count the posts with the names written (up to 5 per person).

Final tally up to post number 63:

Al Pacino
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Daniel Day-Lewis
Gary Oldman
Harrison Ford
Jack Nicholson
Robert De Niro
Tom Cruise
Jim Carrey
Joaquin Phoenix
Leonardo DiCaprio
Robert Shaw
Anthony Hopkins
Bruce Willis
Gene Wilder
Headth Ledger
Jake Gyllenhaal
Marlon Brando
Robin Williams
Russell Crowe
Sean Connery
Adam Sandler
Ben Stiller
Benny Safdie
Bryan Cranston
Charles Chaplin
Chow Yun-Fat
Christopher Judge
Christopher Walken
Clint Eastwood
Daniel Craig
Danny DeVito
Denzel Washington
Dom DeLuise
Don S. Davis
Dustin Hoffman
Ian McKellen
Ian McShane
James Stewart
Javier Bardem
John Amos
John Malkovich
Keanu Reeves
Kevin Spacey
Kurt Russell
Matthew McConaughey
Michael Biehn
Michael Fassbender
Morgan Freeman
Nicolas Cage
Owen Wilson
Peter Sellers
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Ralph Fiennes
Ricardo Darín
Richard Dean Anderson
Ryan Gosling
Sam Rockwell
Samuel L. Jackson
Stephen Chow
Sylvester Stallone
Timothée Chalamet
Tom Hanks
Tom Hardy

Here are the actors who have better careers in my more subjective opinion, along with the performance of theirs that has impacted me the most:

Marlon Brando - "The ugly american"
eXgq8ny.jpg

Ricardo Darín - "The secret in their eyes"
d8yqrr1.jpg

Denzel Washington - "Cry freedom"
3BDbNgA.jpg

Ryan Gosling - "Blue Valentine"
nkStV4S.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix - "We own the night"
GPMe6IN.jpg

Honorable mention (does not count):
Edward Norton

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll throw out some of my favorite and then some odd ball performances I just love.

First, the G.O.A.T., Arnold Schwarzeneggar, my all time fav actor and this role was one only he could do. Lots of guys try to be the silent killer type but Arnie CRUSHES it!
MW073jQ.jpg

Followed closely by Sylvester Stallone, specifically in Rambo First Blood pt 2, where his final act rage against Murdock and the Vietnam War in general is so poignant
kg0eBVT.jpg

Then there is Clint Eastwood, who capped off decades of Westerns with what I consider to be the ultimate summation of his brand of renegade in Unforgiven

t801i2C.jpg

It's a shame that he seems almost totally forgotten here, but I'll be damned if there is any talk of great actors without Chow Yun Fat and Hard Boiled. 45 doves salute!
MKxUOPX.jpg

And I'm just weird sometimes but I really really loved John Amos as Colonel Grant in Die Hard 2. I know he's second fiddle to Sadlers villain but that heel turn he makes just blew me away as a kid and I love the chemistry he had with McClaine. Grew up watching Amos on TV so this film role was a treat.
fPl2V1M.jpg

Gary Oldman - What an incredible array of characters this guy has played. The master of disguises.
_z0rj3an_z0rj3an___ultra_hd_details__upper_body_-nipples__asiatic__asia__monochrome__deformed__bad_anatomy__disfigured__words__logo__text__mutated_hands__mutated_fingers__cropped__signa_2303756982.jpeg

Kevin Spacey - Maybe a controversial choice but I can't ignore that so many of my favourite performances are by him.
MV5BMTM4NzU3NzM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTEyODY3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Timothee Chalamet - Probably the most talented young actor out there at the moment. No doubt there's a very long and successful career ahead of this one.
2K9HAH9.jpg

Tom Cruise - Not really an actor I watch and think "Fuck, this guy can act", but his passion for the industry is infectious and his movies are just so much damn fun.
collateral.jpg

Harrison Ford - There's no way I can look past the face of my favourite hero. Not even Disney can destroy my love for these movies.
indiana-jones-harrison-ford.jpg

Little Mac

Kevin Spacey - Maybe a controversial choice but I can't ignore that so many of my favourite performances are by him.

Shocked The Usual Suspects GIF

I gotta agree. One of my top 10 movies of all time is The Usual Suspects and it's hard to imagine the movie being so good without him. Also I don't think Netflix would be what it is today if it wasn't for the first few award winning seasons of House of Cards. It was like the first streaming series to be taken seriously by critics.

Also FFS can someone vote for Benicio Del Toro in Sicario. I'm out of votes.

benicio del toro mine sicario GIF

And and and Javier Bardem - Old Country for Old Men

javier bardem GIF

Last edited:
This group of actors have brought to life amazing stories on screen:

1. James Stewart - It's a Wonderful Life (George Bailey)

2. Robert De Niro - The Deer Hunter (Michael Vronsky)

3. Tom Hanks - Cast Away (Chuck Nolan)

4. Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Randle Patrick McMurphy)

5. Dustin Hoffman - Little Big Man (Jack Crabb)

Last edited:
I'm impressed by the actors that even though I recognize them, I forget about their celebrity and just see the character on screen. For that criteria, these guys come to mind:

Tom Hardy

Jake Gyllenhaal

Javier Bardem

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Newer guy: Benny Safdie. I've seen him in Good Time, The Curse, and Oppenheimer and the dude disappears into those wildly different roles.

Last edited:
I'm impressed by the actors that even though I recognize them, I forget about their celebrity and just see the character on screen.

Jake Gyllenhaal
I can rewatch Donnie Darko and Day After Tomorrow endlessly, but if I catch Nightcrawler or Southpaw on TV I still just see the same guy. The same goes for Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Tom Hardy (when he is not using voice modulators and wearing face masks) in every role.

Last edited:
I can rewatch Donnie Darko and Day After Tomorrow endlessly, but if I catch Nightcrawler or Southpaw on TV I still just see the same guy. The same goes for Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Tom Hardy (when he is not using voice modulators and wearing face masks) in every role.
Your opinion's alright by me. For me it was these roles that showed range and immersion:

Tom Hardy in The Revenant / The Drop / Batman / Mad Max / Peaky Blinders
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Magnolia / Along Came Polly / The Master / Mission Impossible: 3.
Jake Gigglyballs: Prisoners / Donnie Darko / Nightcrawler / Nocturnal Animals

Yonyx

At this moment I have time, so I will do the first count now.

Vote counting up to post number 34:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Al Pacino
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Harrison Ford
Tom Cruise
Bruce Willis
Gary Oldman
Headth Ledger
Jack Nicholson
Jake Gyllenhaal
Leonardo DiCaprio
Marlon Brando
Robert De Niro
Robert Shaw
Robin Williams
Sean Connery
Benny Safdie
Bryan Cranston
Chow Yun-Fat
Christopher Walken
Clint Eastwood
Daniel Craig
Danny DeVito
Denzel Washington
Dustin Hoffman
Ian McShane
James Stewart
Javier Bardem
Jim Carrey
Joaquin Phoenix
John Amos
Keanu Reeves
Kevin Spacey
Kurt Russell
Matthew McConaughey
Michael Biehn
Michael Fassbender
Morgan Freeman
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Ricardo Darín
Ryan Gosling
Samuel L. Jackson
Sylvester Stallone
Timothée Chalamet
Tom Hanks
Tom Hardy

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nicolas Kim Coppola, known by his stage name Nicolas Cage

Best performance: The Rock (1996)

s7juDE6.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ralph Fiennes - Schindler List (and special mention for Strange Days)
Al Pacino - Glengarry Glenn Ross
Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Gary Oldman - doesn't have a pivotal role but he has been the best thing in several movies
Russell Crowe - Gladiator

Special mentions
Robert Carlysle - Begbie to Gaz
Terence Stamp - The Limey
Steve Buscemi - consumate character actor
Denzel Wahington - Man on Fire and so much more
Leslie Nielsen - the fucking Goat comedy actor.
And I know I am forgetting some that might be in my top 5

Last edited:

calistan

Leonardo DiCaprio is as close as you can get to a guarantee of a good film. Plus there's the rarity value - only four movies in the last 10 years. He's an old-school movie star in the Marlon Brando mode. Best role for me was Wolf of Wall Street.
CS8GC5f.jpeg

Stephen Chow - saw him first in Shaolin Soccer, which is just amazing. Then Kung Fu Hustle, in probably his best role, and have since sought out various Hong Kong imports that play at postage stamp size in the middle of my TV screen. A really watchable action-comedy actor, like Jackie Chan but much funnier and without the Hollywood embarrassments.
rn2HfYX.jpeg

Robert De Niro - it helps that he's also in a load of genuinely excellent films, but I really like the Meet The Parents trilogy. It's dumb, and he's playing a caricature of himself that's possibly damaging to his legacy, but the guy didn't object to having his wrinkles blurred out while delivering an old-man-with-hip-replacement beatdown in The Irishman. So he probaby doesn't care.
qqvNTbS.jpeg

sono

Richard Dean Anderson - Stargate, MacGyver
Don S. Davis - Stargate, A league of their own, twin peaks, the fan
Christopher Judge - Stargate, God of War
Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones et al
Dom DeLuise- Stargate, Cannon ball run et al

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Jim Carrey - One of the best comedians of all time.

Peter Sellers - Great in everything.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Best action star of all time.

Al Pacino - Godfather...

Gene Wilder - I Love him in everything.

So many others, but i think this 5 will do.

Top Bottom