• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst looking Pokemon from each generation

daemonic

Banned
My favourite of any gen:

Flygon.jpg

Worst: Gothitelle and Jinx

I dont follow pokemon, but gen 1 starters final evolutions are badass and looked equally matched. Well venasaur less so - but a motherfuckin dragon with fire on his tail and a baller tortoise with fudgin canons.

That would have been my choice for best 1st Gen Pokemon design, but he looks a bit like a standard dragon. I think all of the final evolutions for the first gen starters are pretty awesome.

I dont follow pokemon, but gen 1 starters final evolutions are badass and looked equally matched. Well venasaur less so - but a motherfuckin dragon on fuckin and a baller tortoise with fudgin canons through a protective shell.

003.png

complete bad ass. don't let anyone tell you dofferently

Kenai

I just want to say that I am thrilled at the Arcanine love in this thread, and just about all of my favorites have gotten love too. Even Joltik. So good.

My Best/Worst (though i have a lot more that I like and very few I dislike). Usually when I "dislike" something regarding Pokemon I consider it very forgettable.

Gen 1:

Arcanine/Spearow

Gen 2:

Houndour/Magby

Gen 3:

Flygon/Luvdisc

Gen 4:

Rotom G (I love that thing so much)/Tangrowth

Gen 5:

Bouffalant/Pidove

It was very hard for me to pick one for Gen 5 since I like a lot of them and they haven't been around all that long, but I love that buffalo. He even has an Afro-based attack...

I'm kind of creeped out by these humanoid designs. There's a few in the early gens (hitmonchop, machoke, mr. mime, jynx), but it seems like they're really going all out now, especially with that blue karate dude

For me, best = cutest
dPnLa.jpg

fRvsm.jpg

And they should make sense biologically. I don't get the point of the pants-holding dude.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm kind of creeped out by these humanoid designs. There's a few in the early gens (hitmonchop, machoke, mr. mime, jynx), but it seems like they're really going all out now, especially with that blue karate dude

And they should make sense biologically. I don't get the point of the pants-holding dude.

why are you using "biological" sense in fictional characters

Also even up to now only few Pokeymans are humanoid - most are just bipedal in a sense that pikachu can stand upright.

Haven't checked pokemon since GenII but WTF!...

QysGz.jpg

Is that an icecream pokemon???!!

And it's cute!

A lizard that gradually sheds its skin? Or in this case, wears it as pants/trousers.

pants/trousers - clothes in general - are a very human thing. you don't see wild animals wear clothes, and if pokemon are higher level than that then you're getting into slavery/creepiness, which I'd rather not have in my pokemon universe

Boss Doggie

pants/trousers - clothes in general - are a very human thing. you don't see wild animals wear clothes, and if pokemon are higher level than that then you're getting into slavery/creepiness, which I'd rather not have in my pokemon universe

I was gonna post something until I realized the sarcasm.

Hmm time to change into pokeymans!

Sure he does, he's just got a power-limiter covering th...

Suddenly Machoke makes 50% more sense.

I really doubt it, otherwise his speedo is waaaaaay too high.

why are you using "biological" sense in fictional characters

Because growing up we all thought that maybe, just maybe, these guys could exist in real life. I think that's why I always hated Jynx, Mr. Mime, Machoke, Magmar, etc.

Guys like Bulbasaur, Charmander, Voltorb, Tangela, Dratini, even if they looked dumb you could see them existing. And they kept the designs super simple (for the most part) so even if they looked bad it was hard to really generate much hate for them.

Oh and nostalgia.

Boss Doggie

Because growing up we all thought that maybe, just maybe, these guys could exist in real life. I think that's why I always hated Jynx, Mr. Mime, Machoke, Magmar, etc.

Guys like Bulbasaur, Charmander, Voltorb, Tangela, Dratini, even if they looked dumb you could see them existing. And they kept the designs super simple (for the most part) so even if they looked bad it was hard to really generate much hate for them.

Oh and nostalgia.

You imply there are no "simple" designs on new ones or that new ones can't "exist" so to say :p

It's more nostalgia.

The Adder

Banned
I really doubt it, otherwise his speedo is waaaaaay too high.

I mean the belt DOES hitch up right under his pectoral muscles. It's probably less that the pair of speedos are high and more that the belt is like a championship wrestling belt. Ridiculously oversized.

Boss Doggie

Haven't played since Gen III. Seeing these new pokemon... what the fuck man. What did they do.

The same thing we do everyday Pinky!

I mean the belt DOES hitch up right under his pectoral muscles. It's probably less that the pair of speedos are high and more that the belt is like a championship wrestling belt. Ridiculously oversized.

Hmm I guess so.

I guess it's painful to bend.

Stop hating on Vanilluxe guys when you can hate Luvdisc, Burmy or Bronzor instead, I mean come on, the worst? i'm convinced you people all just hate delicious ice cream and suffer mild ice cream headaches when you see the mon itself.

while some of the newer designs are occasionally shitty. You have to figure that they kind of have done every animal at this point so they are going to have to get pretty creative at this point.

also I must be the only person who is okay with Mr. Mime. Dude saved my ass plenty of times in Blue. Design does suck tho.

You imply there are no "simple" designs on new ones or that new ones can't "exist" so to say :p

It's more nostalgia.

I did not mean to imply that. There are plenty of believable pokemon in every gen. I do think gen 1 did the best job of keeping fully evolved pokemon (Gyarados, Arcanine, Raichu, Blastoise, Persian) more grounded.

Also I do not blame them for going a different direction. There are only so many animals to base them off. I just prefere the style of gen 1. they all have their highs and lows though.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I did not mean to imply that. There are plenty of believable pokemon in every gen. I do think gen 1 did the best job of keeping fully evolved pokemon (Gyarados, Arcanine, Raichu, Blastoise, Persian) more grounded.

If Raichu were grounded his attacks wouldn't do much.

Boss Doggie

I'm still bothered by people hating on the ice cream evos.

It's actually less offensive compared to Muk, Diglet, etc.

while some of the newer designs are occasionally shitty. You have to figure that they kind of have done every animal at this point so they are going to have to get pretty creative at this point.

also I must be the only person who is okay with Mr. Mime. Dude saved my ass plenty of times in Blue. Design does suck tho.

I don't see why they have to keep making new designs. Just kill off the worst pokemon and keep the top 200 or whatever. No point in catching them all if they're all ugly.

But it's not that hard to create new designs. Look at the past or imagine what can evolve in the future. There was a TV show that had that premise. Instead, it's more like they don't give a shit. They were never entirely consistent, but now it's like whatever looks cool gets the go-ahead regardless of whether it makes sense.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Other than Vanilish, I never really cared about a Pokeman's design... that is until they started devolving the original 151.

Pichu was fine, but retconning Hitmontop and Hitmonlee was a bit much.

TheOGB

Banned
GEN II:
xjik0.png
e7mz0.png
XC3gx.png

GEN III:
edUy1.png
306.png

Now this is how you make an imposing Pokémon. No unnecessary spikes, out-of-place bright colours, or silly sticky-out ears - just 360kg of sleek metal and stone (by the way, it's the heaviest non-legendary Pokémon). When you look into those piercing blue eyes, you know you're screwed.

547.png

SO FLUFFY
I like you

Worst Pokemon

WWsk4.png
DryeI.png
T4sQz.png
I thought you were cool :(
Okay, Tympole is wtf... but it's hilarious. If it makes me laugh and not because it's hideous, then it's not that bad IMO. Honestly, I'd say too many people in here are being uptight about this shit. :p

And fuck yeah, Zekrom.

TheOGB

Banned
Reshiram is pretty awesome, but I think it'd be more awesome with arms that made more sense and without an erection

Top Bottom