• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst looking Pokemon from each generation

domlolz

Banned
I might have missed someone else mentioning Darmanitan but heres Darmanitan anyway

a4f9b.png

Gen 5
T4sQz.png

I seriously have no idea what the fuck that abomination is meant to be - by far the worst design.

I think I read somewhere that reunicolus was based on tardigrades/water bears extremophiles that exist in some of the most extreme places on earth

found some images here:

http://reapershadcat.tumblr.com/post/18870085463/quillpaw-tytoninae-rambleroar

pK2Gl.gif
Zx9vR.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
I thought you were cool :(
Okay, Tympole is wtf... but it's hilarious. If it makes me laugh and not because it's hideous, then it's not that bad IMO. Honestly, I'd say too many people in here are being uptight about this shit. :p

I'm just stating my opinions, everyone is free to like what they wish and I do enjoy reading those who differ as it leads to more conversation. I'm just explaining why I don't like these certain Pokemon.

Also, you'll have to bare in mind that I liked nearly every Pokemon until Gen 5. Something about the Gen 5 designs and style just don't appeal to me like the previous generations do overall.

I don't see why they have to keep making new designs. Just kill off the worst pokemon and keep the top 200 or whatever. No point in catching them all if they're all ugly.

But it's not that hard to create new designs. Look at the past or imagine what can evolve in the future. There was a TV show that had that premise. Instead, it's more like they don't give a shit. They were never entirely consistent, but now it's like whatever looks cool gets the go-ahead regardless of whether it makes sense.

Because then what is the point of new games?

The whole catch em all thing is lessened if they stop making new ones.

and while yeah some of the new designs suck, there are still some good ones in the newer gens too.

Not all of them are going to be winners since they can no longer just go ...uh this one is a turtle....with uh....water cannons. and be done anymore.

I'm a guy who got brunt out by Ruby/Saphire and Diamond/Pearl gens too. So sometimes taking a gen off helps too. That way you aren't as disappointed with the newer pokemon.

also signs are pointing to them slowing down on the newer pokemon since Black/White didn't have as many new (IIRC) and is getting an actual sequel.

Murrah

Banned
People hating on Vanilluxe and Garbodor make no sense. They sorta suck sure but Simipour is officially the worst looking pokemon of all time

516Simipour.png

Just try and find ways to defend that monster

also signs are pointing to them slowing down on the newer pokemon since Black/White didn't have as many new (IIRC) and is getting an actual sequel.

Black and White actually have the most new Pokemon of any generation.

Gen I: 151
Gen II: 100
Gen III: 135
Gen IV: 107
Gen V: 156

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
If only more of the newer designs looked like a sombrero-wearing Launchpad McQuack, I may have still been invested in this series.

not launchpad, this dude

gerbert2.jpg

im kinda shocked at the scraggy/scrafty hate, and the dunsparce love in this thread.

Tiamant

Best: Very, VERY close to putting Krookodile, but I chose Archeops instead. Archeops looks like an ancient Egyptian bird, what with the head of a snake and the vibrant colours.

Actually Archeops is based on the Archaeopteryx, a fossil bird (well, half-bird half-dinosaur) and very far from anything egyptian. I liked that they spent their time looking for some cool ideas for new phossils instead of the typical claw/shield thing.

Archaeopteryx_uwinnipeg.jpg

Archaeopteryx.gif

CorvoSol

tgzEr.png
iCRrJ.png

<3 old school sugimori

Anth0ny you picked my favorites!

Here I go, all the same:

GEN1 BEST:

Charizard and Mewtwo are boss. Yes, I know, Metagame is hard on Charizard, but LOOK at the guy. So cool. And Mewtwo was the OG evil Pokemon, so he rocked.
Gen 1 WORST:

It's . . . a seal.
GEN2 BEST:

Typhlosion is kick-ass what with the fire wreath and all and Espeon is the coolest of all Eevolutions.
GEN2 WORST:

(Scyther looked cooler)

GEN3 Best:

Rayquaza is a superfly pimp machine and Zangoose is David Bowie.
GEN3 WORST:

I don't like you, Mawile. Ever.
GEN4 Best:

Empoleon is the first Water Pokemon to be so much more awesome than his colleagues that I chose him as my starter instead of the fire.
GEN4 Worst:

(Try harder, you hack.)

Gen5 Best:

It's an Ice Cream Cone! Honorable mentions to the trashbag and baggy pants.
Gen5 Worst:

Reject MLP design.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm just stating my opinions, everyone is free to like what they wish and I do enjoy reading those who differ as it leads to more conversation. I'm just explaining why I don't like these certain Pokemon.

Also, you'll have to bare in mind that I liked nearly every Pokemon until Gen 5. Something about the Gen 5 designs and style just don't appeal to me like the previous generations do overall.
Ah, don't worry about it. I'm just messing with you. There are a lot of designs in Gen IV and V that are really iffy to me, and I'm not entirely sure I like the direction they're going in, but there are more than a few mons in each of those gens that lessen that feeling for me.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not a fan of many of the new pokemon (after gen 1)

Pikachu and Richu both look awesome, as does Scyther.

Porygon is intensely lame.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My best/worst:

Gen 1:

KZqWh.png
M5jPk.png

Gen 2:

7JDwQ.png
IGS0V.png

Gen 3:

JdsYr.png
M5gaT.png

Gen 4:

7jvP9.png
VRCKa.png

Gen 5:

1OZtw.png
yfDA0.png

Overall gens in terms of design quality: 1 > 2 > 5 > 3 >>>>>>> 4.

PSYGN

I haven't played Pokemon since the Silver version, and holy crap there are tons of Pokemons in this thread I have never seen before. I'm actually interested in playing Pokemon again.

Anyway, the dumbest looking Pokemon to me was always this guy:

hitmonlee-finished.png

Looks like a turkey drumstick with arms and legs.

Oceanwind

Neo Member
These are my favorites/least favorites

Gen 1:
4m4Pw.png
PrBob.png

Gen 2:
PCjky.png

Don't really have a least favorite for gen 2.

Gen 3:
jaNJH.png
OW5LF.png

Gen 4:
FsekC.png
p6qBG.png

Gen 5:
ag9YA.png
34I2V.png

Garbador is actually my least favorite design from gen 5, but a lot of people have mentioned that one already.

Partition

Banned
GEN 1
BEST:
006.png
148.png

WORST:
hitmonchan.png
139.png

GEN 2
BEST:
Tyranitar.gif