• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best CRT TV for old school systems...?

jbueno

I was playing Virtual Console games tonight, and decided to take some pics. I posted the TV model before, but didn´t bother taking many pics until now. Looks pretty good, but nothing compared to a PVM or that delicious NEC XM29 multisync monitor.

Anyways, here are some VC games played on Wii through component on my 2007 Wega set. I know it needs calibrating, and there are some slight geometry issues, but haven´t bothered to run Artemio´s 240p test suite and mess with its service mode to fix them. Pardon the crappy cellphone pics and messy wiring.

kKiiDC3l.jpg

AGk8oZ1l.jpg

rIGkG2ml.jpg

fUDeJ1ml.jpg

3LuzmYsl.jpg

F3xaGBol.jpg

VUjoME6l.jpg

Sagitario

I was playing Virtual Console games tonight, and decided to take some pics. I posted the TV model before, but didn´t bother taking many pics until now. Looks pretty good, but nothing compared to a PVM or that delicious NEC XM29 multisync monitor.

Anyways, here are some VC games played on Wii through component on my 2007 Wega set. I know it needs calibrating, and there are some slight geometry issues, but haven´t bothered to run Artemio´s 240p test suite and mess with its service mode to fix them. Pardon the crappy cellphone pics and messy wiring.

What's that Aremio's test?

BubbaMc

I have a pair of Ikegami TM20-18Rs coming to me tonight when I get off work. A recycling business in Austin was selling off a pallet of broadcast monitors and the TM20-18Rs were the only 20"ers. There were a couple of 13" PVMs, but I wanted something bigger. I keep reading that these things are pretty awesome. Crossing my fingers that they work OK. I'm going to have to make cables or modify the Y/C 7 pin in the back to fit a standard S-Video input.

Not sure what I've gotten myself into.

(I posted over at Shmups but I'll leave it here aswell, might be helpful to others in the same situation);

Get a SCART cable for each console (see ebay, you'll need these even if you do make your own cables), and one of these: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

That's all you need. Making cables is painful, especially if you haven't made one before.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, does Virtual Console even support 240p? I was under the impression it simply output everything in 480i or 480p. Why? Well, to accommodate the Wii menu system. When you press the home button you still get the typical Wii menu which does not have a 240p equivalent.

Is there some trick to force 240p mode which eliminates the menu, perhaps?

Piggus

Ok! Got some stuff to show.

Here's the Earthbound data load screen, it has a checkered background, you can really notice how tight the geometry is all the way to the corners:

Here's an in-game shot:

...and here's Cormano!

If you're reaaally interested here are some videos shot with my DSLR:

Earthbound Gameplay: http://youtu.be/2rRpyuViBNo
Mystical Ninja 64 intro: http://youtu.be/z63PW5xgQj4

I have my PS2 and Dreamcast hooked up to this TV. It's a fantastic SDTV.

jbueno

Wait, does Virtual Console even support 240p? I was under the impression it simply output everything in 480i or 480p. Why? Well, to accommodate the Wii menu system. When you press the home button you still get the typical Wii menu which does not have a 240p equivalent.

It does support 240p for Virtual Console NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, some PC-E and some Arcade titles as far as I know. Looks great. It is fairly evident when you call up the Wii menu it reverts to 480i, but in-game definitely runs 240p for those.

No trick at all. Just plug and play.

Roge_NES

Just set your Wii to 4:3 and 480i.

Yes Boss!

You can do the force trick, too. I know Neo Geo games sometimes play havok with the system. I forget the code but I think it was A and Z and 1 or 2.

I usually do 240p then upscale it to 720. A little softer than on a CRT but I'm guessing it has to do with the Wii Video playback. Completely serviceable, though.

(I posted over at Shmups but I'll leave it here aswell, might be helpful to others in the same situation);

Get a SCART cable for each console (see ebay, you'll need these even if you do make your own cables), and one of these: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

That's all you need. Making cables is painful, especially if you haven't made one before.

Thanks for the recommendation and the link. Time to start saving.

I also stumbled upon this guy's site: www.consolegoods.co.uk

He has Saturn Scart cables that are supposed to be universal.

Clockwork5

I saw an Amiga 1080 CRT monitor for $50 yesterday and keep thinking how nice it would be for my Snes. Does that sound like a reasonable price? I remember having one as a kid and thinking Mega Man 2 on that thing was amazing. But then again 13" is really small in comparison to even the 20" tv i have it hooked up to now.... I cant decide haha.

Edit: how do PS2 games look on this monitor?

Giever

So, I've got a Sony PVM-2530, an NTSC Super Nintendo, a European SNES SCART cable, and this: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter.html

I've tested the monitor's s-video input before, and it worked fine, but when I try to connect my SNES via this setup, I get absolutely nothing. I was told someplace else that a European SNES SCART cable ought to work fine, as long as the converter (in the link) is receiving the right input (which, in this case, seems to require European SCART).

Is there something I'm doing wrong? It may be possible that the CMPTR input on the PVM-2530 is just borked, but I have no way of confirming that, since, as it stands, this is the only current input I have to that thing.

satam55

Banned
You should look for a LCD or Plasma 480p EDTV instead of a CRT TV. I'm sure you can find some on Amazon.com Marketplace or eBay.

Scavenger

So, I've got a Sony PVM-2530, an NTSC Super Nintendo, a European SNES SCART cable, and this: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter.html

I've tested the monitor's s-video input before, and it worked fine, but when I try to connect my SNES via this setup, I get absolutely nothing. I was told someplace else that a European SNES SCART cable ought to work fine, as long as the converter (in the link) is receiving the right input (which, in this case, seems to require European SCART).

Is there something I'm doing wrong? It may be possible that the CMPTR input on the PVM-2530 is just borked, but I have no way of confirming that, since, as it stands, this is the only current input I have to that thing.
Wrong SCART cable perhaps. You need an an Euro Scart Cable made for use with US SNES and SFC. SCART cables made for use with PAL SNES do not work on SFC and US SNES.

Yeah, the Genesis' composite signal is awful. RGB or go home.

Actually, it's funny to think someone would invest in an XRGB without investing the comparatively miniscule cost of actual RGB cables. What's the benefit?

Will RGB cables work with a us genesis? If so, I'm all about that.

BubbaMc

I saw an Amiga 1080 CRT monitor for $50 yesterday and keep thinking how nice it would be for my Snes. Does that sound like a reasonable price? I remember having one as a kid and thinking Mega Man 2 on that thing was amazing. But then again 13" is really small in comparison to even the 20" tv i have it hooked up to now.... I cant decide haha.

Edit: how do PS2 games look on this monitor?

Commodore made great monitors, that one is no exception. However it's nearly 30 years old now.

PS2 games look great.

For comparison, I recently picked up a 2004 model 20" Sony PVM display for $50.

Ok, so I'm going to upgrade to scat cables so everything plays more nicely with the xrgb I mini. However as I look through ebay, I see a number of cables that aren't clearly marked as Japanese or euro. Is there an easy way to tell, such as 20pins vs 21pins?

Thanks. Do you know how to tell if the cable is Japanese or European? I don't want to fry my RGB Mini.
I think the best way is to search for a JP 21-pin RGB cable instead of a Euro SCART. I'll check to see if there's another way to identify them.

Edit: I inquired in another thread and it's not easy to tell
Only way I would know is to open the connections on each side and find a pin out to trace to see what pin on scart is running 5v. Or just ask the seller if they know.

Yuterald

I just got a Sony Trinitron over the weekend. Everything appears to be fine with it, but when the TV is turned on I hear a persistent hum/pitch frequency that can become a little grating after awhile. I did a little research on this problem and it sounds like there's a few fixes for it, but it might require seeking help from a TV repair service as it requires you to open the TV up. Just wondering if most people run into this problem with TVs like this? Are there any quick fixes that I might not be aware about?

Zing

Banned
Is the sound from the tube, or the speakers?

Every CRT will have a very high pitched sound from the tube electronics, and usually some sort of hum from the internal speakers due to interference or inadequate power supply.

MAX PAYMENT

What's so bad about playing on a flat panel that inspires people to go out of their way to buy an ancient heavy box to play old school games?

Afro

What's so bad about playing on a flat panel that inspires people to go out of their way to buy an ancient heavy box to play old school games?

cheaper than upscaling and the picture is tack sharp via RGB. it also just feels right playing a Genesis game on a big ol' blocky CRT than is does on a sleek new 50" Panasonic plasma.

Wouldn't the best thing to d be to get an RGB monitor, especially if you are going for the best native output from the system itself?

Zing

Banned
Diminishing returns, especially for certain systems that do not have compatible output. S-Video is usually sufficient.

Yuterald

Is the sound from the tube, or the speakers?

Every CRT will have a very high pitched sound from the tube electronics, and usually some sort of hum from the internal speakers due to interference or inadequate power supply.

I'm pretty sure it's the tube. So, is this frequency/pitch I'm hearing just something these TVs do and I just forgot because its been so long? Or is it some other interference/inadequate power supply issue? It's relatively grating to the ear. I actually put cotton balls in my ears to reduce the noise while I played some games on it because it was sort of getting to me after awhile. =/

Foxix Von

I just remembered this thread so I figured I should ask this here rather than in the sega thread. It's a bit of a drive but there's someone around my area that's selling 14" PVM monitors for $100.

That seems like a really, really good price but I'm just not sure about gaming on a set that small. That and I know it uses some wonky connections and I'm not even sure it supports composite inputs.

Anyone have any experience with this line of monitors/gaming on a set THAT tiny?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just a funny bit:

I wanted to hook up my GCN to an old CRT tv in my parents house today. It only had a cable input. So I had to go dig up an RF modulator, and also a cable combiner so I could still switch between TV and the GCN without changing the cable. Felt like time traveling :p

thefit

The colors are really nice. I have this tv in a closet cause I'm not using it right now. Great tv though.

Had one and I donated it hope it made someone as happy as it made me when I had it. It was just to goddamn heavy and I got hurt moving it once.

7fc0bb1a-6c1d-41d9-9a96-ea5de9d7e054.jpg

PVM get!

Some mild convergence issues and the image is a bit warm, but the geometry is perfect. I just need to find a way to dial it in. It's a 14n2u.

Anyone have any experience with this line of monitors/gaming on a set THAT tiny?

I've played on TVs that tiny before. You just sit up close to it. Table + chair works really well.

Also, IIRC PVMs typically do have composite and S-video inputs. Often component, too. It's only when you want to go RGB that things get wonky. /late

Peagles

7fc0bb1a-6c1d-41d9-9a96-ea5de9d7e054.jpg

PVM get!

Some mild convergence issues and the image is a bit warm, but the geometry is perfect. I just need to find a way to dial it in. It's a 14n2u.

Damn this is my dream find. Keep seeing 20" PVMs for sale here but I only have room for a 14" in our apt. Gotta be patient... *breathe*

Zing

Banned
That is pretty small. That's the size of computer monitors back in 1990. You'd need to sit in a chair about two feet away.

SOME-MIST

I actually just snagged an NEC XM29 after searching for one for about 2 years. Found one in the midwest about an hour away from me for $175. Used a 27 inch trinitron before it and wouldn't look back.

sucks how rare these things are because it's incredible and I'd gladly pickup 2 backups.
20130718_123010_zps4980be32.jpg

That is pretty small. That's the size of computer monitors back in 1990. You'd need to sit in a chair about two feet away.

Yeah, the 14N2U is going on my desk at home. I had to sell my 27" Trinitron because I'm loosing my retro gaming area when we move at the end of September. I have everything set up in a vacant laundry room right now, but our new place is going to have a washer/dryer.

baphomet

Just wanted to post a few off screen pics from Genesis, SNES, and PS1 running in RGB on my PVM-20m4u. Everything i have Dreamcast and before is running in RGB, and every one of the systems look so damn good.

jbueno

Just wanted to post a few off screen pics from Genesis, SNES, and PS1 running in RGB on my PVM-20m4u. Everything i have Dreamcast and before is running in RGB, and every one of the systems look so damn good.

God damn those are beautiful. My search for a PVM continues. Well I´d settle for a NEC XM29 too.

kunonabi

Man, all these displays look so nice.

I'm kind of jealous since I have to do all my retro gaming on this behemoth

kunonabi

Was so fixed on Real Bout 2 that I didn't see the rather interesting choice of posters you have there.

lol, that's the anime wall. the rest of the room is mosty movies, music groups, and gaming stuff. it's quite the mix actually.

Top Bottom