• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best CRT TV for old school systems...?

Peagles

No need, I can search online and I found these!

$(KGrHqN,!rkFIQLnGi+PBSLfeoIHQQ~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16JHJIEFHReU,,)iBSLgqNn66w~~60_12.JPG

I don't see any RGB/Component inputs though. Just Video, but this seems to be a European model, so maybe someone is a bit more familiar with these than I am?

Yeh that's the one! I've seen similar inputs on the PVMs (BNC?) but not sure how they work to be honest. Maybe it'll just be easier to stick with my regular CRT which has component and s-video...

The 9 inch Sony is a PVM-9020me but I can't find much about them either.

Ramune

Yeah it seems neither of those PVMs will feature RGB or even Component capabilities. This is what the Sony looks like:

monitor-sony-trinitron-pvm-9020me-de-9-pulgadas-profesional_MLA-O-103798889_4503.jpg

Probably best to get a SCART to Component adapter for now.

PS. Page 14 at last!

Peagles

Yeah it seems neither of those PVMs will feature RGB or even Component capabilities. This is what the Sony looks like:

monitor-sony-trinitron-pvm-9020me-de-9-pulgadas-profesional_MLA-O-103798889_4503.jpg

Probably best to get a SCART to Component adapter for now.

PS. Page 14 at last!

Wow, that seems kinda bizarre for broadcasting monitors, I thought the whole point was to go RGB with them! Already got a SCART to component adapter, works a treat on my lil CRT :p Waiting for my replacement SCART cable from retro_console_accessories though, the first one only gives me a super weird scrolling picture.

Miguel81

I have a 27" trinitron from 1997 that's still going strong. It's amazing how good sd content looks on it. Plug in the S-video and you are good to go.

Ramune

Wow, that seems kinda bizarre for broadcasting monitors, I thought the whole point was to go RGB with them! Already got a SCART to component adapter, works a treat on my lil CRT :p Waiting for my replacement SCART cable from retro_console_accessories though, the first one only gives me a super weird scrolling picture.

Yeah, it seems the smaller models vary in feature sets. Maybe once you get to the 20 inchers, things get more standardized? And weird scrolling picture? Wonder what's up with that? :O

My roommate had recently nice copy of Elemental Gearbolt and remembering he only owns a HD CRT, I warned that it might not work with lightguns. Since he didn't believe me, we set out to test this out for sure. Using my Guncon and his PS2 at first, then my PS1, we tried out a variety of system/cable combos. Sure enough, it wasn't looking too pretty for the HD CRT. We then tried it on one of my PVMs. After a bit of configuring, sure enough, the PVM was the clear winner in this little contest.

Now this is where I have some questions.
Does the PS1 not accept Component connections? Had sound obviously, but no picture.

Now my roommate was using some Monster PS2 Component cables. I could find my official PS3 component cables at the time, but my PVM did NOT like these Monster cables when hooked up to the PS2. Is there a setting I'm missing here? Like, does the system display in 480p regardless while in its system menu? It was set to 4:3 and component in the PS2 bios, but I would get a scrambled picture regardless. Weird because my Wii works just fine. Not sure if my official cables would have made a difference, but I'll hunt for them tonight and see for sure.

Lastly, I looked online and I found that you can use Component with the Guncon by plugging the Video jack of the Guncon to the Y (green) cable. The picture was normal on the HD CRT, but no way to tell if it would work since my PVM was bugging out with those cables.

baphomet

A PS1 wont output component, and not all pvm's will accept 480p. You can actually use a guncon with any output. They make an adapter that you plug in the Playstation, it has a place on it for composite out, and at the end of the cable is the same output as the back of the Playstation which you plug component/rgb/whatever into. I play guncon stuff in rgb all the time and it works great. I just bought one one eBay for like $10 or something. It third party, but there wasnt any sort of quality drop using it.

Ramune

A PS1 wont output component, and not all pvm's will accept 480p. You can actually use a guncon with any output. They make an adapter that you plug in the Playstation, it has a place on it for composite out, and at the end of the cable is the same output as the back of the Playstation which you plug component/rgb/whatever into. I play guncon stuff in rgb all the time and it works great. I just bought one one eBay for like $10 or something. It third party, but there wasnt any sort of quality drop using it.

Ah! I think I know what your talking about! I've seen it listed before a few times and I was initially thinking "Is this what I think it's for?", but you straight up confirmed it! I'll have to get one then for sure!

Mentioned in the Saturn thread that I got my official Saturn RGB cable in and happy to say they don't suffer from what ales my Super Famicom cables. I must have had cheap S-video cables because I noticed slight little blinks on the screen when ever the Saturn was loading, especially on a black screen. It was subtle enough, so it didn't bother gameplay thankfully, but these RGB cables are a BIG step up in that regard in addition to overall picture quality! Pics when I get time to do them. @_@;

Cynn

I found a Sony XBR960 at a Goodwill for $20.00 a couple of months ago. (That's like winning the lottery)

Sony was king of CRTs. If it says Trinitron on it, that's your best call.

I found a Sony XBR960 at a Goodwill for $20.00 a couple of months ago. (That's like winning the lottery)

Sony was king of CRTs. If it says Trinitron on it, that's your best call.

That's an HD CRT, isn't it? Not really ideal for anything before Gen 6.

Cynn

That's an HD CRT, isn't it? Not really ideal for anything before Gen 6.

It does have the "Super Fine Pitch" tube for up to 1080i but it also has a great res dialer called the "reality" setting that allows you to comb out 240p and etc to look great.

Fox Mulder

so I found this today at a flea market sitting with unwanted crappy tv's and microwaves. Heavy as hell.

haven't hooked anything up to it yet because I don't know what cables to use, will have to go read back through this thread. It works though and it was only $20.

I hear good things about trinitrons.

Hell yeah. I rocked a 24" Sony Trinitron back in the mid/late 90's. Its still hooked up back at my parents house in the guest room (used to be my room). Complete with my trusty N64. Both still work perfectly. I'd disown my parents if they ever tried to get rid of it.

In the early 2000's I also had a 27" Samsung 1080i capable crt. The image and color quality was garbage compared to the Trinitron.

baphomet

Hell yea, thats an excellent score. Youll need rgb scart cables for your consoles and a scart to bnc cable to bnc cable to get them plugged in. It will be worth every penny.

Roge_NES

so I found this today at a flea market sitting with unwanted crappy tv's and microwaves. Heavy as hell.

haven't hooked anything up to it yet because I don't know what cables to use, will have to go read back through this thread. It works though and it was only $20.

KWLys8Y.jpg

The easiest option would be this, get a Female RGB21 to Male BNC Cable and plug whatever that uses Male RGB21 leads (SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc..). The setup would be as it follows.

Console --> RGB21 Male --> RGB21 Female --> Male BNC --> Monitor.

baphomet

I would go with Euro scart over JPN21 because them being much easier to find. Other than that, thats exactly what you want.

congrats. sweet find. 27 or so inches right?
those will do ntsc and pal 50/60.

brettreyu

I found a Sony 34" HD Tube TV about 2 years ago and have been meaning to find out if its any good for retro games. I'll post the model number when I can pull that and hopefully someone in this thread can guide me in the right direction.

I use a 27" Sony Trinitron EDTV. Everything up to the PlayStation 2 is hooked up to it. Since it is nigh impossible to find GameCube component cables without paying four arms and eight legs I have my PS2 hooked up with component.

The NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis are all hooked up via daisy-chained RF adapters, the N64, PSOne, and GameCube are all on composite.

Something similar to this.

6NL3C9V.jpg

Ramune

Wow! What an awesome find! :D
Sometimes people just don't know what they have. And I echo looking for NTSC compatible EuroSCART cables. Much easier to find and outside the XRGB upscalers, most use EuroSCART anyway. We'll help point you in the right direction of course. ;)

Yes Boss!

This is a absolute find!

I've got two of them. VGA version. If you have a DC or an 360 (both need VGA cable and a BNC break-out) then you will be blown away. Way, way, wwwwaaaaayyyyy outperforms any of the VGA monitors in my cabs. In fact, it is my best VGA setup.

Also, it is heavy but totally manageable by one person. I've carted mine everywhere...up flights of stairs, to other rooms, etc.

Looking at the Q it looks like it does the low-res stuff, too? Is that an S-Video in the back?

Fox Mulder

This is a absolute find!

I've got two of them. VGA version. If you have a DC or an 360 (both need VGA cable and a BMC break-out) then you will be blown away. Way, way, wwwwaaaaayyyyy outperforms any of the VGA monitors in my cabs. In fact, it is my best VGA setup.

Also, it is heavy but totally manageable by one person. I've carted mine everywhere...up flights of stairs, to other rooms, etc.

Looking at the Q it looks like it does the low-res stuff, too? Is that an S-Video in the back?

it's got two s-vdieo inputs. The only thing I own that's currently set up to use s-video is a retron 3. Will try that tomorrow until i can get the proper cables for all my other stuff.

Yes Boss!

it's got two s-vdieo inputs. The only thing I own that's currently set up to use s-video is a retron 3. Will try that tomorrow until i can get the proper cables for all my other stuff.

Yep, looked it up. If that sucker works then you are in for a real treat. Most of the PVMs bought by the retro crowd are the small versions. This is huge and about the same size as what are in cabs. And it has ridiculous cosmetic good looks...kinda calling back old Sony stuff from the eighties...just all broadcasty, in the good sense. And looks just as symmetrical in tate/verical mode for those shmups. Also reminds me of our old Sony Betamax we had.

Peagles

Well I picked up my PVM-14L2 today. I'm still waiting on my RGB SCART to BNC cable (got shipped out yesterday from retro gaming cables in the UK) but for now I'm just using s-video and it looks AMAZING. Even just the knobs on the front for changing underscan, brightness, chroma etc are awesome to play with!

Edit: Can't wait to try RGB on this new PVM!
Old CRT using RGB
New PVM using S-Video

Mikhal

Awesome find! I got that exact PVM a few months ago but I still haven't tested it. It's in my attic currently so I hope it works. I finally got all my needed cables a couple weeks ago and a SCART switcher, but I need to make room for it first.

WP_000266.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I know it's not exactly what many would consider ideal, however I have an old Sony CRT HDTV 4:3.. I hooked up my NES to it and had many many problems over composite. I mean the screen was just garbage.

However I found a setting in the menu. Basically you can sort of control the line doubler on the TV. Three options:

Interlaced
Progressive
Cinema (3:2 pulldown)

So I set the line doubler to progressive (on the NES.. LOL!) and the screen outputs PERFECTLY now. I am guessing anything that outputs 240p will similarly work as well.

I will try to get the model number. I'm assuming as I move forward with getting SCART cables for other consoles I can similarly set the YCrCb inputs to this as well and get gorgeous RGB at 240p (line doubled to 480p)

Zing

Banned
If you have those options, you have a hiscan or HD CRT. The progressive setting would indeed be the correct setting, since the NES is essentially outputting a progressive signal.

HaL64

finally got my cables, ugh overseas shipping, but the image is all scrambled.

I purchased this cable.
http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

I plugged the RGB plugs in their proper spaces, and put the yellow cord in the HD/Comp port.

It appears I needed to buy this cable with sync stripping instead?

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/fe...r-sony-pvm-monitors-lm1881-sync-stripper.html

Yup you need the sync stripped version. I have this exact same PVM monitor. They don't accept composite sync. It's a monster isn't it? I got it in an ebay auction, except it was brand new, never used, in the original box and everything. It's amazing.
Well amazing for everything except composite video. These PVMs don't have 3D comb filters. So composite NES kind of looks like garbage on it. That is unless you have an external comb filter.

I built my own cables for it though, including a sync stripper. It's not hard to add a sync stripper with just a bit of soldering skill. If you send me the cable I'll add one for you to it if you, at cost. $3 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Fox Mulder

Thanks, I'll have to do that. Better than paying $60 for another cable.

Edit.

I was waiting around for these cables to show up before testing anything on this, as I assumed they would work. I just found a gold tipped svideo cable at goodwill today for $1 and decided to hook a retron up to it until I get my rgb cable situation sorted out.

It looks sexy as hell, can't wait for rgb on real hardware.

I recently found a Sony Triniton kv24fs100 at someone's house.

Would it be good enough for SNES/Wii/GC and PS2 games?

Yeah it's great for those systems. Connect the Wii, GCN or PS2 over component. If you don't mind the expense, RGB cable + component transcoder for SNES will give you the best picture and color separation for SNES too. Otherwise go with S-video.

br3wnor

Really cool thread. I'm a while off before attempting my retro gaming setup but I have this TV from when I was a teenager laying around my parents attic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066R5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51M9337X27L.jpg

It's a Toshiba 20AF42. Is this considered an SD CRT or HD CRT? It had a component input so I'm assuming it's at least 480i but I have no idea. If I was going for the 'pure' retro effect (NES-PSX) would this TV do the job or do I need something older?

I have a lot of time to figure out the whole setup but just curious if this TV will do the trick.

Rich!

Posting this in here for you CRT hunters out there.

Picked up a 29" Sony 4:3 model KV-29FX11U TV on Friday for £5. It's amazing. RGB SCART input of course, as I'm in the UK. Pictures:

And one that shows the colour reproduction on the set, as the photos above have been washed out a bit by my phone camera:

It's absolutely amazing. A bit of tinkering with the service menu, and now it's perfect. And it's fucking gigantic.

Erekiddo

I had a JVC i'Art TV back in 2004, but it broke in the move across country.

I'm picking up another tomorrow for $30. 100 pound TVs, I've missed you. I'm concerned 27 inches is too small, but the 37 inch one for sale was a few hours away.

Have found some dude giving away some Sony TVs nearby, so am hoping they are still available.

My many retro consoles are all boxed away in storage for a few years sadly, but it'll still be admirable for Wii/PS1/PS2 and well, I can emulate from the Wii which I believe supports proper 240p output through certain emulators.

Any of the Sony Trinitrons are great TVs for playing legacy content. I would also recommend some of the early 2000s Toshibas.

Last edited:

mrsmr2

I still have a Sony 32DX30 (UK model) set up in another room.

It's connected to a SNES, DC, Xbox, Wii, and 360.

60Hz gaming as it was meant to be!

Hibachi

Banned
Found somebody selling a Sony KV-27FV300 tv on Craigslist. Is that a good model for NES, SNES, N64, PS1/2, etc.?

It's flat screen; is curved better?

HaL64

Found somebody selling a Sony KV-27FV300 tv on Craigslist. Is that a good model for NES, SNES, N64, PS1/2, etc.?

It's flat screen; is curved better?

Looks like a good tv for that generation, and has component so you can do pseudo rgb gaming with the right adapter.

I use this reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Anything under the "Technology" column that is "HI-SCAN" is good only for HD and 480p gaming.
Anything listed as 480i and at least 1 component input are the kind you want for pre-PS2 era games.

I'm not sure if a HI-SCAN Trinitron was ever made that did < 480i well.

In my second bedroom I have a Toshiba 30HF84. It is one of the few CRTs which has HDMI, and can play games as far back as the Atari and NES, and as modern as the PS4.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YSvnqUYYyEZ/p_05230HF84/Toshiba-30HF84.html

Of course I normally game on my Sony Bravia.

I have the same TV. No scanlines and a really slow scaling processor makes it pointless for retro-gaming without an external scaler/scanline generator which means you are better off just going plasma/lcd anyways.

That being said, it does have a great picture!

Hibachi

Banned
Looks like a good tv for that generation, and has component so you can do pseudo rgb gaming with the right adapter.

I use this reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Anything under the "Technology" column that is "HI-SCAN" is good only for HD and 480p gaming.
Anything listed as 480i and at least 1 component input are the kind you want for pre-PS2 era games.

I'm not sure if a HI-SCAN Trinitron was every made that did < 480i well.
Thanks for the link and info. I'll go ahead and try to grab it I think. The owner said it's in excellent condition and estimates it was only used for maybe 50 hours.

Erekiddo

Picked up a Sony 27 inch Trintron. KV-27FS120 for $25.

Anyone have any good stand suggestions for this? Particularly a corner stand.

Ramune

found a kv-36fs120 but im not sure if lightguns work on it or not anyone know?

It's no HD CRT, so it should have no problems. If you have lightguns and games, try it! :)

As for HD CRTs, they will NOT work with lightguns. You'll see flashing because the console knows it's hooked up, but good luck hitting anything as you'll have just as much luck shooting the wall behind you.

Top Bottom