• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best CRT TV for old school systems...?

mt1200

Samsung SD CRT's have terrible convergence or uniformity with A/V or RF input, its ok with the component input, but in my tv the red colour always bleeds away from its position when I watch TV (RF input) or play videogames with AV output

Thats what I want a SD Wega, will they last?, i've seen several broken Wega.

Don't get an HD CRT for SD consoles. I have a Samsung, and yes it's a beast at around 100 lbs, it's also not that great at displaying SD video games. I thought it would be, but it kind of sucks.

Get an old 4:3 CRT. Or the best yet- make RGB(SCART connector) cables for your consoles and use an XRGB2 converter with a CRT monitor.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sony Trinitrons is going to be your answer.

I'm fortunate enough that my mom bought one as our last CRT...I need to grab that off her one of these days.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
thatbox said:
The Sony XBR960 is generally accepted to be the best HD CRT ever made.
It is fantastic, but it's not suited for retro gaming at all.

It really does look wonderful, but I'd take my 2nd gen Kuro plasma over that any day. Though, the Sony would be a good second choice. ;)

My 21" Sony has RGB SCART input and I've got the cables for all my consoles. Yes it does look killer but it hasn't Been used in the past 5 years. I'm not parting with it though as I intend to have a dedicated retro setup some day. Good thing about its size is that I can carry it around by myself when the need arises.

It does anamorphic widescreen too, but the image does become quite small then, but sharp as a tack.

Kobiekun

I used to keep two CRTs on hand specifically for retrogaming (one always hooked up and one in the closet as a backup). I bought an XRGB-3 a year ago and have never looked back. Sold the two CRTs on Craigslist. It might not be worth it if you only have/play one retro system, but if you're looking to expand your classic console collection you can't go wrong with it. If you have means to convert the NES signal to VGA, you might also consider an SLG-3000 which is significantly cheaper than the XRGB-3. It's a one trick pony, but that one trick happens to be generating scanlines.

XRGB-3_closeup.jpg

XRGB-3_box.jpg

Kobiekun

Gummifaust said:
SuperJ, which consoles are you using with the XRGB-3 and to what TV is it hooked up?

NES via Composite
SMS via RGB
SNES via S-Video
Genesis via RGB
PCE Duo via RGB
Neo Geo AES via RGB
PS1 via component
Saturn via S-Video
N-64 via S-Video

I have it hooked up to a 2008 32" Sony Bravia XBR6. I've also hooked it up to a 40" Samsung in the living room and it looked just as good. Here are some pictures I took when I first got the unit:

Castlevania3_01.JPG

Castlevania4.JPG

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
How many inputs does the X-RGB3 have? I have the following systems and use a Joytech switchbox right now (all hooked up via RCA composite):

NES (original model)
SNES
Genesis/CDX
Saturn
Turbo Duo
Master System
N64

krae_man

I've been half looking at new TV's lately and Can't believe how few imputs they have now. Lots of HDMI but almost nothing else.

Most have One Component and one Composite and that's it. None of them have S-Video Anymore. I'm probably going to hang onto my current TV now because of it.

Kibbles

Before Halo 3 came out me and a buddy would play Halo 2. I went to his house one time and was blown away how awesome it looked on his 16:9 CRT HDTV. I believe it was some Sony tv. Looked way better than on my LCD HDTV, I was jealous. =(

Joei

Kibbles said:
Before Halo 3 came out me and a buddy would play Halo 2. I went to his house one time and was blown away how awesome it looked on his 16:9 CRT HDTV. I believe it was some Sony tv. Looked way better than on my LCD HDTV, I was jealous. =(

Yeah, one of my buddy's had a tv like that. The CRT HD tv's looked really awesome, though they only output 480p I believe and they weigh a literal ton.

I used to have a 27 inch Trinitron in a bedroom until a few years ago and Wii component looked great on it, in fact better than the tv I use now, and 360 wasn't bad either. Plus, anything PS2 on down looked great.

Sorry for not posting earlier...

Well... the HDTV I currently have is a JVC AV 30W777... It's a 30" 720p HDTV, CRT... it has 2 HDMI ports... the thing is a monster, but the picture quality is great... my Wii looks amazing with component cables on that TV.

But... still... I hooked up the NES and it looks good, but... I plugged the NES on an old Emerson TV, 21", CRT from the 90's... and it looks even better.

So... I'm still undecided of what to do.

emb

Go to a few yard sales, and you can probably find some really cheap. Everyone has lcd's these days, and they're tired of the old crts taking up so much space.

Get the biggest/most inputs you can find. Some people want decent amounts of money, but many sell them for 5-15. Might even find some cool video game finds while you're out.

dark10x

krae_man said:
I've been half looking at new TV's lately and Can't believe how few imputs they have now. Lots of HDMI but almost nothing else.

Most have One Component and one Composite and that's it. None of them have S-Video Anymore. I'm probably going to hang onto my current TV now because of it.
I always figure that, if you really demand a lot of inputs on your TV, you are probably an enthusiast and should at least be using a receiver that handles your input switching.

SuperJ said:
I used to keep two CRTs on hand specifically for retrogaming (one always hooked up and one in the closet as a backup). I bought an XRGB-3 a year ago and have never looked back. Sold the two CRTs on Craigslist. It might not be worth it if you only have/play one retro system, but if you're looking to expand your classic console collection you can't go wrong with it. If you have means to convert the NES signal to VGA, you might also consider an SLG-3000 which is significantly cheaper than the XRGB-3. It's a one trick pony, but that one trick happens to be generating scanlines.

XRGB-3_closeup.jpg

XRGB-3_box.jpg
It goes for $600 on eBay! WTF?!

Kobiekun

djtiesto said:
How many inputs does the X-RGB3 have? I have the following systems and use a Joytech switchbox right now (all hooked up via RCA composite):

NES (original model)
SNES
Genesis/CDX
Saturn
Turbo Duo
Master System
N64

Composite x2
S-Video x2
D-Sub (a.k.a. component; unit comes with one D-Sub to component adapter) x3
VGA x1
RGB x1

If you went with an XRGB-3, you could get RGB cables for the SMS and Genesis for about $12 each.

Here's a link to the XRGB-3 website.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
It goes for $600 on eBay! WTF?!
That's highway robbery. I got mine for $420 which included shipping from Japan to the U.S. and a $50 consignment fee.

krae_man

dark10x said:
I always figure that, if you really demand a lot of inputs on your TV, you are probably an enthusiast and should at least be using a receiver that handles your input switching.

And I always Figure that if I'm looking at a top of the line TV, it should have all the inputs because enthusiasts like me are the ones who buy expensive TV's.

Souther

Banned
SuperJ said:
NES via Composite
SMS via RGB
SNES via S-Video
Genesis via RGB
PCE Duo via RGB
Neo Geo AES via RGB
PS1 via component
Saturn via S-Video
N-64 via S-Video

Kinda like myself.

You should get RGB cables for the SNES and Saturn. I have both and it looks better than s-video.

Here is some pics i took of my Scart RGB to Component Converter running on my 40" Samsung 1080P LCD. Converter was only 100$.

img0055tm.jpg

img0062s.jpg

img0067rb.jpg

img0003mm.jpg

img0089bw.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was a sad day when my Sony HD CRT blew its tube.

The picture was insane and you could actually beat Mike Tyson on it. It took me years of retraining to beat him on my 1080p screen and I still can't do it consistantly.

dark10x

Well, I found a Sony KV-27FS100 locally on Craigslist for very cheap. Going to give it a look today and see how well it does for my needs. I've been using a 27HS420 for retro games, and while it is a great display, the fact that it supports HD definitely hurts image quality of older 240p retro games.

The scalers are all very interesting, but the price is quite high. It doesn't make sense to me to invest that much money into something designed to emulate an older display when I can pick up a proper display for much less and receive a more accurate picture.

TheExodu5

Banned
krae_man said:

My Sony 32EX400 has the following inputs:

2x Component
2x Composite
4x HDMI
VGA
RF
PC audio

I was pretty impressed.

No S-Video, though.

-KRS-

I have a 32" 16:9 @ 100/120hz Sony Trinitron and it's the best damn TV for SD content that I've ever had, even though it's been running for 20 000 hours at this point according to the service menu. Even Xbox 360 looks really good on it through the fucking composite input. Really sharp and colorful.

What's bad though is the 100/120hz thing. For older games such as NES and SNES it really blurs the image when the screen moves. And if there's something in the game that's supposed to change color every frame, something that is quite common in NES games, it will only show one of the colors randomly. So stay away from 100/120hz TVs. It's not as bad with newer consoles like the Wii, but still noticeable in fast moving games if you look for it.

On my sisters noname brand CRT which is a regular 50/60hz TV, it stays sharp even when the screen moves. It's absolutely not as sharp as the Trinitron, but at least it's consistent. So find a 50/60Hz Trinitron I say.

tl;dr: Stay away from 100/120hz televisions for old video games.

STG!

I used to use a Mitsubishi Megaview for my needs before it died, the thing was a beast for RGB but it was a little loud. Nice thing about that monitor is that it also did VGA, so I was able to hook up my DC and Wii via a VGA box/cables.

Now I use a large Sony PVM monitor. It can't do VGA but I'd say the picture quality is better than the Megaview. Super quiet too. Only negative is that most of the picture adjustments are on little pots nestled inside the monitor, so you have to unscrew and remove the back of the unit to adjust the picture. Kind of a hassle when I use my supergun, but I'm thinking about modding the case with a couple little doors to get quick access in there.

Dunk#7

You also need to get a CRT due to the way the NES lightgun operated.

It will not work on most if not all of the current tech TVs

Kind of interesting if you look up the reasoning behind this phenomenon

Fugu

While there are certainly better CRTs in terms of maximum possible quality when calibrated (The FW900 is this for monitors and I would highly recommend it if you can hook up whatever console you're trying to play by RGB, which you probably can) it is important to note that by far the most important thing to look for when buying a CRT is to make sure that it isn't already damaged goods: You will notice bad convergence or geometry after using a CRT for any length of time and you may not necessarily notice it when purchasing, so pay specific attention to that. You are probably also looking for an aperture grille television hence the repreated recommendations for some kind of Trinitron (note that not just Sony makes Trinitrons). Any Sony KV will do fine as long as it's in good shape and it's made somewhere in the last fifteen years (you can go older but you'll start noticing a difference).

However, considering the size you're looking for, you may be better off buying a high-end CRT monitor and using an RGB box to hook up your consoles. There are literally hundreds of thousands of IBM P275s available if you look for them; they are 21 inches, they have fantastic colour quality and they are absolutely great for playing anything. They are not HDCP compliant despite being capable of 1080p so you can't use them for your PS3/X360 (well, you can, but you'll either need an HDCP stripper or component cables) but that's really the only hitch. I have four of them and other than the one that I bought in 2002 I haven't paid more than $50 for any of them and they've given me no problems.

A light gun won't work with certain CRTs either, specifically ones that attempt to deinterlace 480i.

-KRS-

Dunk#7 said:
You also need to get a CRT due to the way the NES lightgun operated.

It will not work on most if not all of the current tech TVs

Kind of interesting if you look up the reasoning behind this phenomenon

And it won't work properly if it's a flat picture tube either. It's made to account for the bending of the light coming out of a curved tube somehow.

Btw, did they even make Trinitrons that were NOT flat tubed?

Bulk_Rate

Owned a 32" Sony HD CRT (KV32HV600) since new. I went LCD for my primary TV but refuse to part with the 180lb beast.

Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 all via component were awesome and the built in speakers/sub were punchy. RE4 on Component on this set was visual sex. I couldn't stand how the Wii version looked on my LCD by comparison.

Beware however - if you buy a Sony CRT from this era from Craigslist, know that a LOT of them (mine included) have some flaky power supply issues which you might not experience until you move the beast into your home. AVSForum has thread dedicated to the DIY fix for this common problem, but it is not for the meek.

Red

SuperJ said:
NES via Composite
SMS via RGB
SNES via S-Video
Genesis via RGB
PCE Duo via RGB
Neo Geo AES via RGB
PS1 via component
Saturn via S-Video
N-64 via S-Video

I have it hooked up to a 2008 32" Sony Bravia XBR6. I've also hooked it up to a 40" Samsung in the living room and it looked just as good. Here are some pictures I took when I first got the unit:
This is amazing but why so expensive :(

ACH1LL3US

I know everyone is recommending flat screen crt's... but I am gonna go against that and say you want a 20 inch Sony Trinitron non flat tube, these were all black and the tube was curved like the arcade tubes. Retro games look the best on these IMHO. Also usually the flat tubes have a higher resolution 640x480 where as alot of the curved tubes are lower like 360i.

Blackvette94 said:
I know everyone is recommending flat screen crt's... but I am gonna go against that and say you want a 20 inch Sony Trinitron non flat tube, these were all black and the tube was curved like the arcade tubes. Retro games look the best on these IMHO. Also usually the flat tubes have a higher resolution 640x480 where as alot of the curved tubes are lower like 360i.

I see... good to know.

In fact, the lower the native the resolution of the TV, the better, right? The newest systems I'm going to use with that TV are the N64 and PS1...

Firebrand said:
I have two similar Wega TVs, not that exact model though. Really sharp picture but 2D geometry is just terrible on them. Got them at the same time so it might have been a bad batch. :(

Nah, geometry is a bitch with flatscreen tube tvs in general. Mine is only a bit wonky on the top, but nothing too too bad.

ACH1LL3US

Fernando Rocker said:
I see... good to know.

In fact, the lower the native the resolution of the TV, the better, right? The newest systems I'm going to use with that TV are the N64 and PS1...

Exactly! NES, SNES, Genny, neo geo, n64, ps1 , they were all sub 480I images. So going with a curved CRT is the way to go as its closest to the native resolution of the console, personally the best is the Triniton by Sony, you can find them on ebay and other places.

JRW

thatbox said:
The Sony XBR960 is generally accepted to be the best HD CRT ever made.

Indeed it was, mine is still going strong!

Some pics I've taken of it:

Wii 480P:
ZeldaTP_480P.jpg

PS3 Bluray 1080i:
Crank_Bluray_1080i.jpg

Red

Impressive colors on that CRT. Most I've seen looked washed-out. That one has pretty deep blacks.

JRW

Black crush is easily introduced by off screen shots vs. what you actually see in person.

_dementia said:
I hear good things about trinitrons.

The Trinitrons and the WEGA's are really great TV's.

The Sony XBR960 is the best CRT in the world. They are getting harder to find though and they are extremely heavy.

DanielJr82

I wish I had more space! I would totally love to have my old CRTV back. I had the same Sony model posted above as well. Mine was a 27" Trinitron, heavy as hell, but FFX never looked better.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
Looks like plenty of black crush to me.
I prefer crushed blacks to washed out blacks. I've argued in favor of dynamic range plenty of times, but I can't deny that I love inky blacks. In saying that, off screen pictures tend to make darks darker, and I'm sure there's not as much detail lost on the actual screen.

There's an old tv shop around here and this thread has sparked some interest. I recently decided to hook up the ps2 in front to the old TV and this subject came to mind. Hope I can find a tv tomorrow.

Top Bottom