• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best CRT TV for old school systems...?

galvatron

I need to get rid if my 4:3 hd trinitron. Sad but its too big.

Yeah, that was a sad day for me, too. Things got better after I upgraded to a plasma for current gen stuff and then JAMMA modded my Genesis and put it in a candy cab, though :). That would be my recommendation for a CRT: use an arcade monitor and abandon composite output (though that likely means you'll be emulating your NES games since that doesn't put out RGB).

Zing

Banned
It's probably SVM, which stands for scan velocity modulation. It is an extreme form of edge enhancement. It literally changes the thickness of vertical transitions from light to dark. It usually manifests itself as lines or halos around edges of bright objects.

In relatively newer sets like the flatscreen Wegas, it is a user setting. However, anything from the early 2000's will likely have it always enabled, with the setting hidden in the service menu.

And did houses suddenly get smaller? I often see the "I don't have room for a CRT" comment. Everyone used to have huge console 25" CRTs in their living room. My 32" FD Trinitron is something like 30 inches from front to the wall with the official stand.

Yeah, that was a sad day for me, too. Things got better after I upgraded to a plasma for current gen stuff and then JAMMA modded my Genesis and put it in a candy cab, though :). That would be my recommendation for a CRT: use an arcade monitor and abandon composite output (though that likely means you'll be emulating your NES games since that doesn't put out RGB).

How much trouble was it to hook your Genesis up via Jamma?
I have a Jamma cabinet with a mame box but would be interested in switching it for my DC.
Is it as easy as buying an adaptor for the console and plugging the cabinet's jamma in or did you have to switch some cables around?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sorry to bump this back up, but two tvs popped up for free in my area and I am not sure which one to pick up. 99% of it's use will be for NES/SNES/Genesis/N64 and hopefully Sega Saturn gaming. Which one is the better pickup?

One is a 34" Sony HD 34HS510:

Or a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron:

Nothing can even come close or touch Trinitron for SD gaming, NOTHING.

It's last great TV from Sony.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's probably SVM, which stands for scan velocity modulation. It is an extreme form of edge enhancement. It literally changes the thickness of vertical transitions from light to dark. It usually manifests itself as lines or halos around edges of bright objects.

In relatively newer sets like the flatscreen Wegas, it is a user setting. However, anything from the early 2000's will likely have it always enabled, with the setting hidden in the service menu.

And did houses suddenly get smaller? I often see the "I don't have room for a CRT" comment. Everyone used to have huge console 25" CRTs in their living room. My 32" FD Trinitron is something like 30 inches from front to the wall with the official stand.
Yes yes! It is most probably SVM. I had forgotten about that garbage. One of the worst things introduced to CRTs near the end of their run. A good TV (Sony CRTs) typically allowed you to adjust the SVM mode or disable it (always disable it) but some displays simply didn't give the user access to this option and looked like shit as a result. If you can't disable it you may as well throw out the TV. Seriously. You can find used Sony sets for dirt cheap all over Craigslist.

Now, if it doesn't bother you, then you can just live with it. As we are talking about a Phillips display I'm going to bet that SVM is being used and the display lacks the ability to disable it. Was very common with cheaper CRTs.

I'm wondering if that's what I am having an issue with.. I have a Sony Trinitron CBR and it has issues with NES/SNES/Genesis/PCE games. The screen experiences what looks like almost a visible screen refresh when anything is scrolling from left to right/right to left, as if there's no vsync. Would this also be an issue of SVR? I tried to go into the service menu but my god I couldn't get anywhere even with the reference guide :(

Entropia

No One Remembers
I have a huge ass RCA TV at my parents place that I wouldn't mind bringing to my apartment now that they don't use it anymore. BUt it's SUCH a hassle to move. I'm not sure I want to bother getting it until I move into a more permanent place.

Zing

Banned
I'm wondering if that's what I am having an issue with.. I have a Sony Trinitron CBR and it has issues with NES/SNES/Genesis/PCE games. The screen experiences what looks like almost a visible screen refresh when anything is scrolling from left to right/right to left, as if there's no vsync. Would this also be an issue of SVR? I tried to go into the service menu but my god I couldn't get anywhere even with the reference guide :(
I assume you mean a Sony XBR?

I have also experienced what you describe on a Sony HD TV when using my SNES. It didn't happen constantly, but it was frequent enough to prevent me from playing the SNES on that TV.

It is not SVM. I assume it is some sort of minor timing issue with the "240p" output of older consoles. The XBR (and "hiscan") Sony TVs digitally process the image before it is drawn to the screen. The advantage of this is that you can fix virtually any geometry problems in the service menu. The disadvantage is there will be minor issues like what we have seen, along with lack of scanlines and no lightgun support.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do you happen to have a link or at least a model number for that converter?
Check eBay. They're pretty common.

Here's the thing, though, those shots were all taken as still. The problem with 240p games on an HDTV really becomes most apparent once things begin to move. A still shot will generally display relatively clean, sharp pixels but once you begin to scroll, the image processing becomes much more apparent as those pixels become smeared or smoothed over. How well this is handled varies heavily across different displays but I've yet to experience any HD display completely solve this issue. For the average person, it's not too bad if you have a decent TV, but I cherish accuracy and nothing beats a proper interlaced display for older content. I should note that the same blurring occurs with HD CRT monitors as well.

I'd like to try using X-RGB at some point to determine whether or not this issue exists there as well. I've really only tested internal scalers as well as those present in receivers. I haven't tried a dedicated scaler designed for old games (ala X-RGB).

Souther

Banned
Check eBay. They're pretty common.

Here's the thing, though, those shots were all taken as still. The problem with 240p games on an HDTV really becomes most apparent once things begin to move. A still shot will generally display relatively clean, sharp pixels but once you begin to scroll, the image processing becomes much more apparent as those pixels become smeared or smoothed over. How well this is handled varies heavily across different displays but I've yet to experience any HD display completely solve this issue. For the average person, it's not too bad if you have a decent TV, but I cherish accuracy and nothing beats a proper interlaced display for older content. I should note that the same blurring occurs with HD CRT monitors as well.

I'd like to try using X-RGB at some point to determine whether or not this issue exists there as well. I've really only tested internal scalers as well as those present in receivers. I haven't tried a dedicated scaler designed for old games (ala X-RGB).

Yeah I don't use a LCD anymore for retro gaming. I picked up a Sony Trinitron XBR 4:3 HD. All the systems look amazing even the 240P systems. Turning down the sharpness, switching to "Warm" temperature and turning off VSM and choosing "Pro" mode with DRC mode set to "Interlaced" I found is the best setting. I know some people will say that the HD sets are not good for 240p content, but I am going to disagree here. Saturn looks especially fantastic!

Concerning the issue Rorydropkick is having. I do not experience that at all on my TV and I am also running a Super Famicom via Scart RGB to the component converter to the TV.

It's too bad that the PS2 underscans in a lot of the games. But I don't feel like going into the service menu, even though i know what I am doing in there to change it as it will affect the pictures for the SF, Gen, Saturn and as it stands are great where they are.

inner-G

Banned
I got a Toshiba flat CRT that I love.

Got my ps2/GC on components, and use the s-video from the non-component GC cable for the SNES, it looks way crisper and cleaner than over composite.

I have a 37" Sony Trinitron Vega, or whatever they are called. It is amazing for old school systems.

Unfortunately the thing weighs way too much. It is probably the heaviest damn thing I own, which includes my car.

Anilusion

This might be the wrong place to ask, but is there any software that does what XRGB-3 does but for emulators on PC? Or would it even be possible?

Respawn

Banned
I picked up a 32" Sony FD Trinitron Wega HD CRT for 110$ with matching Stand!

Sony-KV-32FS320-32-Inch-FD-Trinitron-WEGA-Flat-Screen-TV-0.jpg

Tv is awesome. It has 2 component, 3 svideo/composite, RF and 1 DVI and a memory stick duo slot.

TV does 1080i, 720p, 480p/i

Old school games look awesome on this tv. I have a RGB scart to Component adapter and i have RGB scart cables for all my systems(snes,genesis,saturn,dreamcast) and have my Ps2 is hooked via component.

Not sure how many people play the Super Robot Wars games but SRW Z looks amazing on this tv because of the high resolution sprite work...

Havent tried the HD out on it yet cause i just keep my PS3 hooked up to my LCD.
No HDMI? Mine was. Mine finally gave out last year December after a decade of awesomeness. One of the best tv's and HD sets in history are these line of Sony tv's.

Lettuce

Im using a 29" Hantarex CRT Monitor......

Ahh cant beat scanlines for that retro console feel!!

Or thought i would have preferred a 26" size tube as anything above that starts to degrade the sharpness of retro gaming IMHO

I currently use this

kvhr36m31.jpg

It is a HDCRT (480p 576p 720p and 1080i) and is 36 inches but is capable of 100Hz. I think I will be keeping this until it dies since it has no input lag, that and it is 90 kilos haha. Best TV ever made, but the PAL version doesn't have HDMI or DVI only RGBHV which is a pain to get running with my pc and new GPU's but still works ok with the component adapter on my HD4890. Wii games look good on this and lightgun games still work on the old xbox 1.

-KRS-

Speaking of old CRTs. I have a 32" Trinitron that has some small geometry problems in the lower corners and I keep hearing about using the service menu to fix it, but I opened that once and it was really daunting so I didn't change anything. But is it the same on all Trinitron TVs? Can I just use whatever guide I find online and have it be applicable on my TV?

brumx

any Sony Wega from 2003-04 should do I like how you can turn off that VM crap. Component cables also make your systems look 1000X better and sharper than analog with no HD needed.

I have a Sony Trinitron 27 inch tube for mine. KV-27F513. Has component and S-video but no 480p that I know of. Got it at a garage sale for $20 and it is a heavy beast. Games look awesome on it. Here is my set up:

IMG_20120708_155934.jpg

Archon473

I have a 17" Zenith that's lasted twelve years. Sound is phenomenal and PS3 games look great. Only issue is radiating colors on PS3 games (super bright colors look like they pulse), but PS2 and Gamecube games are beautiful.

Look for televisions with black casings rather than grey. They stand out less and melt from your peripheral vision while you're looking at the screen.

Zing

Banned
Speaking of old CRTs. I have a 32" Trinitron that has some small geometry problems in the lower corners and I keep hearing about using the service menu to fix it, but I opened that once and it was really daunting so I didn't change anything. But is it the same on all Trinitron TVs? Can I just use whatever guide I find online and have it be applicable on my TV?

Yes, the settings are named the same on any Trinitron. The later HD sets had additional settings.

The only settings you need to mess with are usually under the "DEF" category. If you have lower corner problems, you would use the UPIN, LPIN, and PAMP settings in combination to make both the upper and lower corners as square as possible. PAMP is the overall pincushion and will affect the upper and lower corners equally. LPIN is the lower pincushion. You might also need to tinker with VBOW and TRAP to get things square.

kunonabi

I got a Toshiba flat CRT that I love.

Got my ps2/GC on components, and use the s-video from the non-component GC cable for the SNES, it looks way crisper and cleaner than over composite.

yeah I'm rocking one of those for my classic games. The 36 inch one I believe. It's a freaking monster though so it stays with my parents since I can't take it to my new apartment. I'm trying to find a small one for my new place but everybody wants to do local pickup. I might try that converter instead. Only problem is the HDTV I'm bringing is crap.

FoxSpirit

Not sure about a 60s set, but I have one of these from my childhood still out in my garage today, and it happens to be the very set that I used for NES and C-64 gaming back then. Originally bought it in either 85 or 86:

http://visualalchemy.tv/catalog/13in-and-under-crt-consumer-tvs/13in-sony-kv-1397r/

1985_13sony_kv1397r_020911.jpg

Friggen thing still works perfect too. It will not die. Though back in the day I did put old unshielded speakers next to it and caused one of the corners to turn a slight green.
This thing looks like an old TV production reference monitor. Impressive.

Reclaimer

Trinitron TVs are the best for 480 and under gaming.

However, they take up a ton of space, are ridiculously heavy, generate a lot of heat, and use a ton more power than an LCD.

After my second Trinitron kicked the bucket, I get myself a good upscaler for my LCD instead. Games look better than they ever did on a CRT, running super crisp at 1080p. Plus I've saved so much room...soooooo much room.

It's a pricey option, but upscalers should be worth looking at if you are at all into "retro" gaming.

Tain

If my SDTVs die and it's a bitch to get a good new one, I'll have to go the scaler route. The trouble at that point will be getting a big enough LCD with less than a frame of lag (apparently they don't exist in the bigger-than-23-inches range in the US).

Hiltz

I've been playing SNES, Wii and GC games on this 34" Sony Wega HDtv (KD-34XBR960) since late 2006. However, I'm not sure if the tv has actually been calibrated properly.
x158SU34XBR-o_MT.jpg

televator

This thread is making me feel pissed off that I can't yet setup the 36" 4:3 SD Sony That I got for 15 bucks a while back. :mad:

It's just been sitting in my garage.

IrishNinja

Good point about oldschool light gun games!

yeah, no one told me this when i went HDTV...my zapper/super scope etc games are worthless! i dont think power glove'd work much better, but it was never great, haha

wait, those master system shots...i know gangster town and zaxxon 3D, which one's the middle shot?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Trinitron TVs are the best for 480 and under gaming.

However, they take up a ton of space, are ridiculously heavy, generate a lot of heat, and use a ton more power than an LCD.

After my second Trinitron kicked the bucket, I get myself a good upscaler for my LCD instead. Games look better than they ever did on a CRT, running super crisp at 1080p. Plus I've saved so much room...soooooo much room.

It's a pricey option, but upscalers should be worth looking at if you are at all into "retro" gaming.

What's a good upscaler to use?

MarkusRJR

I had the luck to find a 48" rear projection CRT HDTV on kijiji on sale for $150. It's really massive and heavy as fuck (we carried it up stairs) but the picture quality is incredibly once it's correctly calibrated. Both HD and SD content look amazing. From past experiences I have to say a problem with most CRTs is overscan though. I don't know why but nearly every CRT I've seen has atrocious overscan. It's not a problem with most older console games, but some games on PS3 and 360 get their HUDs cut off.

And brand wise, I've heard good things about Sony and Panasonic if you're looking for a normal HD CRT (not a rear projection CRT).

xemumanic

The Sony KD-34XBR960, and the one I have, and its predecessor, the 910 (my first HDTV), were what my friends and I referred to as 'the pound for pound champ'. Sure, maybe it had only 900 actual lines, and there are bigger, lighter, more featured LCDs and plasmas around, but for the overall package, nothing beats it, even today.

I've been playing SNES, Wii and GC games on this 34" Sony Wega HDtv (KD-34XBR960) since late 2006. However, I'm not sure if the tv has actually been calibrated properly.
x158SU34XBR-o_MT.jpg

How do retro games look on that?

Would a SNES via S-video look better on that compared to their Sony SD 32" FS120?

This god THIS.

I fucked up my back carrying this exact TV a couple years ago, god damn its the devils television.

Holy shit, I just got that same exact tv with matching stand, a couple of months ago off a guy on craigslist. Mine is 36" though and he had another matching one with stand that was 32". He was moving out west and didn't want to take them with him. They were $50 bucks each. I only had room for the big one. I wish I had a truck to get get both. It works so great. Took 3 people to move it. It will be in the corner in my bedroom until we ever sell the house, and then it will stay lol.

Top Bottom